PDA

View Full Version : 55 --> 60 tension

guedoguedo
06-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Is there a big difference between 55 and 60? My current stick is at 55 and it feels way to powerful IMO. I hit balls deep often when i take a normal full swing at, even watching my form. I would like for me to have to put a good effort into it to rip the ball, so I am more in control of the shot, rather than the racket doing it. Trying to figure out if 5lb is a big change. Dont want to over do it!

Valjean
06-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Is it always so powerful? How often do you change your string, for one thing? Five lbs. is a big difference, but within reason if you need the change.

Then there is the string type; a less elastic one will help you, and there are strings that are made and marketed for control they bring. How long have you had the racquet, though...

guedoguedo
06-30-2006, 03:08 PM
I bought the racket because it was returned by a guy who wanted the oversize. It was barely hit with...but it was strung with NXT at 55lb. I previously had a TI radical strung at 62, and always hang around 60 if i recall. NXT is a nice string from everythign ive heard, but I think the tension is a big part of my problem here...

TennisProPaul
06-30-2006, 03:13 PM
read

Research into strings and stringing are leading to a whole new understanding of their effects on play.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200502/200502strings.html

Valjean
06-30-2006, 04:52 PM
I bought the racket because it was returned by a guy who wanted the oversize. It was barely hit with...but it was strung with NXT at 55lb. I previously had a TI radical strung at 62, and always hang around 60 if i recall. NXT is a nice string from everythign ive heard, but I think the tension is a big part of my problem here...
Okay now; even an 18x20 pattern such as your nBlade's can't be expected to tame adequately such a potent combination of high racquet flex, soft string type and just a medium tension. You have a couple of obvious choices here: 1) you could restring with NXT at a higher tension, or 2) switch to a firmer string. The flex factor is such I think you might be happier with #2. What have you strung with before, or what are your preferences like now?

Valjean
06-30-2006, 05:07 PM
read

Research into strings and stringing are leading to a whole new understanding of their effects on play.
This conclusion from your selection, though, shows how little this article can help what this forum does, unfortunately:

"....[T]here is no denying that string materials, tensions, gauge, etc. alter the performance outcome of a racquet and the player. Future string research will help clarify these phenomena and help us talk about them, but in the meantime, we will simply have to interpret each other's string babble. After all, we all know what we mean ... right?"

TennisProPaul
06-30-2006, 05:34 PM
This conclusion from your selection, though, shows how little this article can help what this forum does, unfortunately:

"....[T]here is no denying that string materials, tensions, gauge, etc. alter the performance outcome of a racquet and the player. Future string research will help clarify these phenomena and help us talk about them, but in the meantime, we will simply have to interpret each other's string babble. After all, we all know what we mean ... right?"

your correct in a way. i will let you do all the babble, while i lead the dumb horse to the water.

there is room and a need for both of our objectives

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=106955

JayxTheKoolest
06-30-2006, 06:31 PM
read

thank you for the informative link

guedoguedo
06-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Did someone just call me a dumb horse.

TennisProPaul
07-01-2006, 03:41 AM
Did someone just call me a dumb horse.

OOps Im sorry. I did not mean it that way.

Please forgive me.

p