PDA

View Full Version : I think I have tennis elbow...

Brett
07-11-2004, 04:20 PM
I badly need some help people.I'm only 17 years old, and I play once a week at the minimum.My elbow and back have been recently hurting when I serve, and not on my groundstrokes.

But today I just hit around and all of a sudden my arm started hurting.I have been playing ever since I was 12, and I try to ask my dad for help but he never takes anything seriously, and he ticts me off.

I have took IBProfin an hour before I play, and that sometimes helps.

What should I do?!?!This means so much to me guys... :(

And I'm not sure if it's tennis elbow for sure..

BSousa
07-11-2004, 04:39 PM
First advice, see a doctor...

I have a weird pain in my elbow as well that I can't understand if it is tennis elbow or not. It doesn't hurt while playing (hitting the ball) but hurts in any weight lifting i do (even one kilo) with my pal down, or when I pull my fingers back, which extends the tendon.

Ibuprofen doesn't help at all...

Here is what I'm doing and is helping a bit (again, see your doctor).

If the pain isn't much, use one of those squeachy(sp?) medicine balls that are designed for people to just compress it. Do this about 3-4 sets of 30 twice or 3 times a day. This bulids your forearm muscle and puts almost no pressure on the elbow (do it with the arm bent, when you have no pain, you can do it with arm stretched).

You should also do wrist curls (search the net for more info) but only when there is no pain or little, never do them while it still hurts like hell.

Wish you luck and don't give up, worst resort, learn to use your left arm (or right). I'm doing this when I play with friends that play badly just in case :)

NoBadMojo
07-11-2004, 07:15 PM
it's pretty common for tennis elbow suffers to just feel pain on certain strokes and prob more common on serves than groundstrokes. i would think it hurts as soon as you elevate your forearm during your serve just before your wrist snap. you could be using a technique that isnt right, maybe your equipment is too stiff or too light. tell us about your racquet system for starters. would also be a good idea to take a lesson if you know of a 'good' teaching pro in your area and you think your motion may be off..ice right after you play is always a good idea. maybe give it two weeks rest..then maybe see a 'good' sports medicine doc if you have one in your area and your condition hasnt improved.. i dont know that doing more exercise on an injured area is the right thing to do....sorry your dad isnt more attentive. btw naproxin sodium (alleve) might do a better job for you than IB's for your tennis elbow. it is better at reducing inflammation IMO than IB's, but IB's are better for the pain part..just a theory...ed

Camilio Pascual
07-15-2004, 10:06 AM
I guess you are not in school now during summer. Otherwise, you could see the school nurse to get around your Dad's inattentiveness.

Marc C.
07-18-2004, 07:02 AM
I am 16 and have the same problem. It too hurts only on my serve. What I do is only serve when necessary, (not serving a basket of balls in practice) and i sometimes limit my warmup serves in matches. I use icy hot before i play which really helps and real ice after. If I forget to ice after, i wont notice it until the next time i play so remember to ice after playing.

Marc C.
07-18-2004, 07:04 AM
I almost forgot, Don't see a doctor! It is a huge waste of time and money. I went to the doctor and he would just poke my elbow and move it around and ask me when it hurts. Of course, none of the things he did hurt me because it was only on my serve motion. He just told me to ice and come back if it still hurt in 3 weeks.