PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who finds this strange?

D-Bomb
06-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Why is it that Roger Federer doesn't play that crisply in the opening rounds at some tournaments, and then at Wimbledon plays like a god? I would have thought it's because it's grass, but he certainly wasn't invincible at Halle. I suppose the counter-argument would be that Federer just came back from clay, but that wouldn't explain why he played so many 3 setters for the entire tournament. Does he just decide when to turn on the godly switch?

One could also say that it's just by chance, yet how has he done it for almost four straight years at the same tournament? Why can't he just play like that all the time on the faster surfaces where he excels?

Chopin
06-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Well the conditions at Wimbledon are a bit different from Halle. Federer likes the pace and bounce of the Wimbledon courts. Besides, you answered your own question, I'd imagine he was a bit tired from making it to the finals of the French Open!
He had a week to rest after Halle and refocus.
Federer's game is just perfectly suited to grass. His backhand is not a weakness on the surface and is instead a weapon that can use it to slice balls that don't come up at all.

Moose Malloy
06-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Yes you are the only one. The guy was 81-4 last year. He's only lost 4 maches this year. He wins almost all the time & rarely losses sets. Halle was one of the toughest tournaments of his career because he was in a grand slam final a few days before. In retrospect he probably knows he shouldn't have played it(his trainer told him not to) He never was at his best there because he had no time to physically & mentally regroup from the French. That he still won it is rather amazing, considering he had to play Gasquet, Rochus, Haas, & Berdych not exactly an easy draw when you aren't 100%.

killer
06-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Yes you are the only one. The guy was 81-4 last year. He's only lost 4 maches this year. He wins almost all the time & rarely losses sets. Halle was one of the toughest tournaments of his career because he was in a grand slam final a few days before. In retrospect he probably knows he shouldn't have played it(his trainer told him not to) He never was at his best there because he had no time to physically & mentally regroup from the French. That he still won it is rather amazing, considering he had to play Gasquet, Rochus, Haas, & Berdych not exactly an easy draw when you aren't 100%.

Well said, Moose! I was a little surprised that Fed decided to play Halle given how much energy he expended during the claycourt season, a season which, i might add, was just a tad longer (vs making the semis of FO 05) and certainly more gruelling (given his tough matches vs Nadal). His play at Halle reflected his energy level, and perhaps his...can't think of the right word here ...disappointment(?) over losing the FO final.
But Fed loves Wimbledon. Given the questions surrounding his first round opponents I think he showed us once again how much he loves a challenge, how much he wants to distance himself from the rest of the field. He destroyed Gasquet and Henman, and though the score was a bit closer in his 3rd round match, he still came through fairly easily.
Perhaps the scores in other Grand Slam early rounds seem a bit closer though. Maybe it's a reflection of either Fed's love of Wimby above all others, or the fact that the grass, however slow the AELTA makes it, suits his game extremely well. This year he came in to the tournament with expectations (breaking Borg's record, winning fourth consecutive), doubts (how well will he recover from the FO final disappointment?) and a tough draw. Good for him to toss all of it out the window by playing some superb tennis.

superman1
06-30-2006, 06:25 PM
It's partly because of the draw. Gasquet and Henman are 2nd week quality players on grass, so he switched into third gear. Normally he plays qualifiers and low ranked guys so he just does the bare minimum to beat them.