PDA

View Full Version : My arm dies after a while...

tennisozzy_new
03-04-2004, 03:17 AM
I have tried playing the backhand with one or two hands, to see which one fits me. The onehander feels better to me, more natural and fluid, plus my slice is getting better.

However, after 40 minutes or so of play, my right arm is dead from hitting all shots, and my technique goes out the window. Which results in a lot of missed shots. So I shift to a twohander, and immediately start to apply pressure with my backhand again.

What kind of offcourt workout should I do to get in better shape for hitting the onehander all the time?

borisboris
03-04-2004, 05:33 AM
It's not the best drill for your deltoid-elbow to hit 1-handers for over 1/2 hr. Your deltoid-just above/behind bi-cep will start to tear. You need to build-tone your arm with curls (reps) reverse curls with dumb bells (light) for the wrist. Do light dumbbells for flies. Push-ups also work well. Use a rubber tube to stretch the muscles and isolate the deltoid. I had dead arm after hitting the b-machine after a 1 hr backhand session.

polakosaur
03-04-2004, 09:47 AM
do an upper body lifting exercise towards the shoulders, tricep, bicep, rotator cuff, that should help you

bluestreak711
04-03-2009, 10:38 AM
thank you... you all may have saved me from yet another tennis injury this coming season

charliefedererer
04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
You may want to review the USTA recommendations on conditioning and weight training at the following site:
http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=249182

0range
04-14-2009, 07:14 PM
I have tried playing the backhand with one or two hands, to see which one fits me. The onehander feels better to me, more natural and fluid, plus my slice is getting better.

However, after 40 minutes or so of play, my right arm is dead from hitting all shots, and my technique goes out the window. Which results in a lot of missed shots. So I shift to a twohander, and immediately start to apply pressure with my backhand again.

What kind of offcourt workout should I do to get in better shape for hitting the onehander all the time?

How old are you and how heavy is your racquet?

Jracer77
04-14-2009, 07:41 PM
How old are you and how heavy is your racquet?

....About 5 years older than when they made this thread.:neutral: