PDA

View Full Version : Some things I noticed watching Sampras vs. Federer

zorg
06-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Just got the Wimbledon match of Federer vs. Sampras. There are a couple of things that are sorta interesting I noticed. First of all, I noticed Federer was serving and vollying almost every point. This surprised me, because I didn't think he did it this much. Second of all, I noticed his strokes look almost the same, but he bends his knees more now.

Lastly, there is a very interesting comment Ted Robinson made. He said how Lendl got to the US Open final 8 straight times, and was stopped by a 19 year old Sampras. So then he predicted that Federer will beat Sampras (he was 19 at the time as well), go on to have the same career as Sampras has had. This was obviously a bold statement back then, but WOW, he was so right.

The tennis guy
06-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Federer served and volleyed a lot more early in his career. At that time, grass was still soft, fast.

It's not surprising Ted Robinson said that. Many observers said similar thing about Federer when he first came out. After a few years, he didn't do that well at majors, the noise started to go down. People started to say he'd never get to where he should be. The buzz about Federer's talent started very early, I remember clearly.

doriancito
06-30-2006, 07:30 PM
also federer hit the ball like 10 times faster! and used the same racquet sampras did, well still uses it....

doriancito
06-30-2006, 07:30 PM
i also think he was in better shape then than now, that federer (the one who played sampras back in 2001) would have beat nadal

LowProfile
06-30-2006, 07:35 PM
i also think he was in better shape then than now, that federer (the one who played sampras back in 2001) would have beat nadal

No way. Federer was never a consistent force on clay back then. Now he beats everyone but Nadal on it.

The tennis guy
06-30-2006, 07:36 PM

Are you crazy? Federer was in better shape in 2001 than he is now?

shawn1122
06-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes, I remember this too. Some may have thought that he would become a wasted talent, but many believed he would reach Number 1 in the world.

!Tym
06-30-2006, 09:34 PM
He showed flashes in the early days, like the time he single-handedly dismantled the US Davis Cup team and just made everyone look silly that tie. The problem then, however, was you couldn't count on him to reproduce that kind of tennis but once in a blue moon. Now he does it all the time basically.

travlerajm
06-30-2006, 09:58 PM
I saw that match when it happened. It was the first time I saw Federer play.

Anyone who saw that match knew from that point on who the #1 player in the world was going to be 3 years later. It was clear then that he was a much more well-rounded talent than Hewitt, Roddick, and Safin. And there were no other 19-21 year-olds at the time that seemed like a threat to become #1.

KBalla08
06-30-2006, 10:04 PM
I saw that match when it happened. It was the first time I saw Federer play.

Anyone who saw that match knew from that point on who the #1 player in the world was going to be 3 years later. It was clear then that he was a much more well-rounded talent than Hewitt, Roddick, and Safin. And there were no other 19-21 year-olds at the time that seemed like a threat to become #1.
if safin wasnt such an idiot hed be right up there... he also had a well-rounded game, just as much as federer probably..

Exile
06-30-2006, 10:10 PM
i remember an indoor match against hewitt(when hewitt was #1). He just tore him apart, and then lost the whole tournement after...

Squid
06-30-2006, 10:11 PM
where can we find this video of thier match?

Say Chi Sin Lo
06-30-2006, 10:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3bRf_QLDhs&search=federer%20sampras

some clips of goran too, i remember i hated watching him serve that year... everytime he served i was like "ahh, the torn rotator cuff..."

travlerajm
06-30-2006, 10:29 PM
if safin wasnt such an idiot hed be right up there... he also had a well-rounded game, just as much as federer probably..

By well-rounded I meant that he didn't brick volleys like Safin.

Tennis_Goodness
06-30-2006, 10:32 PM

I've never thought so, Federer is quicker, has a better forehand, serve, volley, dropshot, and is mentally tougher.

Andres
06-30-2006, 10:49 PM
I've never thought so, Federer is quicker, has a better forehand, serve, volley, dropshot, and is mentally tougher.
I dare to say Safin has a better serve (way better), equally good forehand, and equally good volleys. And probably Safin has a better backhand, more consistant, and more powerful.

newnuse
06-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Don't discount Safin's game. The man has as much talent as anybody. He just prefers to party with all the hotties.

I saw him play the US Open when he won it. He was pretty much an unknown at that time. He was very impressive in the early rounds. So impressive, I told my friend before the finals he would beat the heavy favorite Sampras in the finals. I thought it wouldn't be that close either..... and it wasn't.

emcee
07-01-2006, 06:58 AM
I think Safin is more talented than anyone else in the ATP...besides Fed.

Safin's got a better serve and more powerful groundies but overall Fed has the better groundies (backhand iffy at times though). And how can you say Safin volleys better than Federer? Safin volleys well...for a baseliner. That means he's better than Nadal, Roddick, Hewitt, et al.

Tennis_Goodness
07-01-2006, 07:14 AM
I dare to say Safin has a better serve (way better), equally good forehand, and equally good volleys. And probably Safin has a better backhand, more consistant, and more powerful.

Safin has a good serve, but Federer can do more with his and is more accurate.

Federer's forehand is much better then Safins, that's not even in question. Federer is the better vollery too, Safin might have a more consistant and powerful backhand, but everything else is in Federer's favor, including speed and mental toughness.

BigboyDan
07-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Federer's serve blows.

dh003i
07-01-2006, 10:50 AM
anyone saying Federer doesn't have a good serve is ignorant. He doesn't have the fastest serve. He can however serve very fast, accurate, deceptive, and spin the balls out after hitting the ground.

BiGGieStuFF
07-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Safin is well-rounded but plays a power game. He can literally power you off the court if he's on his game which it seems he is rarely these days. Sucks but he's one of my favorite players too. Lots of personality but unfortunately very very inconsistent. :(

14 Slams
07-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Federer matched Sampras, serve-for-serve too.

FedererUberAlles
07-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Federer's serve blows.

Yeah, I know, I could return ace that 2.5 serve all day long.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-01-2006, 11:48 AM
yep his strokes seem to be the same. That just shows how much difference being in shape and being mentally focused in 5 years can take you.

14 Slams
07-02-2006, 03:06 AM
Federer's serve blows...
...people away.

14 Slams
07-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Agreed. It's just that mentally he's ranked about #350 as opposed to the top #1 or #2.

fastdunn
07-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Just got the Wimbledon match of Federer vs. Sampras. There are a couple of things that are sorta interesting I noticed. First of all, I noticed Federer was serving and vollying almost every point. This surprised me, because I didn't think he did it this much. Second of all, I noticed his strokes look almost the same, but he bends his knees more now.

I don't undestand why it surprises you.
Federer was not the only person who did S&V back then.
Majority of players did that for 1st and 2nd serves if you're playing
at Wimbledon.

Lastly, there is a very interesting comment Ted Robinson made. He said how Lendl got to the US Open final 8 straight times, and was stopped by a 19 year old Sampras. So then he predicted that Federer will beat Sampras (he was 19 at the time as well), go on to have the same career as Sampras has had. This was obviously a bold statement back then, but WOW, he was so right.

Well, Federer was not the only who started to beat Sampras.
Sampras started to getting beaten by everybody after that.
That part is not that bold statement.

But Federer's potential was predicted by many people from his early
career. Even in this TW board, I remember people talked about
Federer as the potential next big thing...