PDA

View Full Version : 1st Impressions of Babolat demos....

Benjamin
03-04-2004, 04:05 AM
After serving a little bit with my four Babolat demos (Pure Drive, Pure Drive Plus, Pure Control, Pure Control MP) on Tuesday, I actually got to put them through a good workout last night hitting with them for a total of about 3 and 1/2 hours.

Everyone says that you never get a second chance to make a first impression so below you will find my first impressions of the four Babolat racquets.

Pure Control MP (100 sq in): feels lighter than it's weight would indicate; seemed very flimsy when hitting groundstrokes - I guess you'd say the stability was low; decent control when I hit the sweetspot but it seemed as if I was off by and inch or two then the racquet was twisting on me; fair serves - not as good as my POG mid and nowhere as good as the Hyper ProStaff 6.1; topspin was pretty good but as with other groundstrokes, if not hit in the center they were a little unpredictable because of the lack of stability; probably my least favorite of the four

Pure Drive Plus: very hard racquet to get used to - having to try and deal with the extra length and then on top of that having to try and get used to the extra power; kick serves kicked a lot (better than my POG mid or Hyper ProStaff 6.1); I could never find the range with my flat serve but they were consistent - consistently 10 inches out...but they had good pace - it may have been a confidence thing but it didn't serve as hard as my ProStaff; groundstokes HAD to be hit with major spin - I just couldn't take the ball on the rise with either of Pure Drives like I do with the POG mid or ProStaff, if I tried to I either hit it long or had to put a massive amount of topspin on the ball; I warmed up a lot with this racquet and then played five games with it after which I was down 1-4; I just didn't have the ability to take the ball on the rise or hit out with this racquet (which is a major part of my game); had to think too much about putting spin on the ball all the time; my 3rd favorite out of the group.

Babolat Pure Drive: after going down 1-4 in the first set with the Plus I switched to this racquet and won the set 6-4, so I guess you'd say I like this racquet much better; I felt like I could be a little more agressive with this racquet, especially on the return of serve which felt great; serves were very good - good kick and nice pace (maybe still just a mph or two below my ProStaff); very good volley racquet - at least better than I was expecting - just have the racquet in place and it does all the work; for me the slice stayed nice and low; for me it was very good on drop shots; control was good for a racquet with so much power; running down the line shots were incredible; still have to think about hitting the ball with topspin - not sure if I can get used to this or not; confidence isn't high with this racquet yet, just unsure of how the ball is going to come off the face if I don't use topspin; but this and the Pure Control are my two favorites so far

Babolat Pure Control: lighter than I thought it would be but was more head heavy feeling, so it seemed to play heavier than its weight; this racquet was most like my POG mid and ProStaff but with just a touch more power than the POG mid; most of the time if I had time to set up I could really rip my backhand with this racquet; it seemed a little slow on forehand returns and when having to hit a running forehand - just couldn't whip it like the Pure Drive or my ProStaff; great slice; serve was on par with my POG mid and a little worse than my ProStaff; good volleys although a little slow at net; best stability of the four; I was able to take the ball on the rise a lot better with this racquet than the other four; this and the Pure Drive standard are the two front runners now

It will take some more playing before I get accustomed to the Pure Drives extra power or the Pure Controls extra weight feel in the head.

I'm going to go hit against a ball machine today and play some more. Playing again Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. I'll try to put up a final review on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Benjamin

Brent Pederson
03-04-2004, 06:41 AM
Benjamin,

Ya gotta stick some lead tape on that pc mp at 3 and 9 to get it up to about 12 oz, then I'm guessing you're gonna like it as well as the other pc, if not better. It's more flexible and has more feel than the standard, but it's just too light stock...

dje31
03-04-2004, 07:00 AM
You know, on paper and in theory, the PC MP should be just right, esp. for this soon-to-be former BPC '01 user...but a lot of folks on this board who've tried it have been disappointed by it. Maybe Brent is on to something.

I haven't tried this one, but that's in no small part due to ego...I'm trying to avoid using a 100+ sq. in. head until I reach at least 50 yo ( currently 38 )...if then...

VJH
03-04-2004, 07:33 AM
I used to use the '01 bab PC. I hated the '02 version. As a result, I'm using the PS Tour 90 now.....

El Diablo
03-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Brent is quite right....the PC-MP out of the box is a racquet you can't play with....put at least another half-ounce on it and it's a racquet you can't play without.

iscottius
03-04-2004, 05:35 PM
I'm glad to hear that you do not like the pd+, I know three players in my group have switched to it and they leave the court holding there elbows every time we play!! the PC series is supposed to be more arm friendly.

Morpheus
03-06-2004, 04:31 AM
Benjamin, keep up the great work. You post so often on rackets that I can now calibrate your comments and find them to be very helpful. Based on this latest review, I am ordering PD and PC (standard) demos.

Yes, I too am standing on the edge of the abyss and I am tempted to step off the edge into the darkness.