PDA

View Full Version : Winning Ugly?

irishbanger
07-01-2006, 10:33 AM
I know that Rafa Nadal is a great kid. He's humble, well- grounded, and comes from a close, supportive extended family. He's good for the game. But, in my opinion, watching him play tennis is like witnessing a street mugging. It's ugly, but you can't avert your eyes. He beats people into submission with all the grace and guile of a left-handed boxer who comes out in round one looking for a knockout punch. This is the reason that he will always stir strong emotions among tennis fans. He is a great athlete, yes, but not neccessarily a great TENNIS player. With his strength and endurance, he would be good at several different sports. Roger, on the other hand, and I'm admittedly a big fan, is a born tennis player. He plays the classic style with such fluidity and grace that when other players lose to him they don't feel too badly because they know they've been beaten by the better tennis player. In addition, Roger speaks more languages and is more fluent in them that he will always be the better interview. For these reasons, Roger will wear the "white hat" in their rivalry.

LowProfile
07-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Nadal's technique is massively unorthodox and very ugly, but does it make him a bad tennis player? This is a question that will be debated over and over for quite some time.

FedererUberAlles
07-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Federer is a talented tennis player, first, and a talented athelete, second. Nadal is one of the most talented athletes I've ever seen, and second, a talented tennis player. Either player could play another sport and excel, but Nadal, in my mind, would have a broader range.

VamosRafa
07-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Federer is a talented tennis player, first, and a talented athelete, second. Nadal is one of the most talented athletes I've ever seen, and second, a talented tennis player. Either player could play another sport and excel, but Nadal, in my mind, would have a broader range.

I agree with you here. Although I think Rafa is underrated as a shot-maker. He comes up with some amazing shots, time and time again.

But certainly, his athleticism combined with his incredible mentality are his major keys to success. And he's fun to watch, which is always a good thing in a tennis player.

irishbanger
07-01-2006, 11:24 AM
"And he's fun to watch, which is always a good thing in a tennis player."

We can agree to disagree here. To me, its painful to watch him play. He pushes the time limit between points, pulls at his socks all the time, and (thank goodness its less than in the past) picks at his wedgie.
A mad scientist concocting the ultimate tennis player in a laboratory could scarcely do better than Nadal. From his body-building bicepts to his non-stop endurance, his bull dog tenacity and his take-no-prisoners attitude and his "in-your-face" fist pump, Nadal will always be considered the biggest bully on the block. A sizeable portion of the public will always pull for the underdog--and this means pulling against Nadal.

FedererUberAlles
07-01-2006, 11:36 AM
I agree with you here. Although I think Rafa is underrated as a shot-maker. He comes up with some amazing shots, time and time again.

But certainly, his athleticism combined with his incredible mentality are his major keys to success. And he's fun to watch, which is always a good thing in a tennis player.

Yeah, he's totally the second coming!!! Church of Nadal YEAH!!

Matthew
07-01-2006, 02:10 PM
You know what, I got the exact same feeling today watching him play Andre. It was more like Nadal was beating him up than playing tennis with him (which is what I expected anyway, Nadal is just too explosive and has too much energy for Andre to handle).

I would imagine Nadal is the most intimidating player on the ATP now.

travlerajm
07-01-2006, 02:25 PM
You know what, I got the exact same feeling today watching him play Andre. It was more like Nadal was beating him up than playing tennis with him (which is what I expected anyway, Nadal is just too explosive and has too much energy for Andre to handle).

Was it just me, or did Andre look like he had lost his killer instict today? There were many times Andre had easy short forehands with Nadal pulled way off the court. The old Andre would have spanked it flat into the corner, but today he just looped slow enough that Nadal could stay in the point. It was the first time that Andre's forehand reminded me of my own forehand, and that's not a good thing for an ATP pro.

dh003i
07-01-2006, 02:31 PM
yep, Nadal's style is pretty ugly, and boring too (wow, running back and forth at the baseline -- how existing).

Admittedly, he's the 2nd best tennis player in the world right now. But it's mostly because of his hussle, and his shots have poor technique. This isn't good for a few reasons. He will lose that speed and hussle, and he's more injury prone.

VamosRafa
07-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah, he's totally the second coming!!! Church of Nadal YEAH!!

And didn't I just see you across the street at the Church of Federer? YEAH!!

VamosRafa
07-01-2006, 02:33 PM
yep, Nadal's style is pretty ugly, and boring too (wow, running back and forth at the baseline -- how existing).

Admittedly, he's the 2nd best tennis player in the world right now. But it's mostly because of his hussle, and his shots have poor technique. This isn't good for a few reasons. He will lose that speed and hussle, and he's more injury prone.

Nice you admit he's the second best tennis player. Because from what I'm seeing, he may not be the second best for long.*

*interpret that as you like ;-)

LowProfile
07-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Nice you admit he's the second best tennis player. Because from what I'm seeing, he may not be the second best for long.*

Nadal is a great athelete. The problem is that:

Nadal is #1 on the clay (for now)
At best #2 on hard courts (and probably behind at least Blake, if not more)
Around #3-5 on indoor carpets
And as of now about #10 on the grass

Federer is #2 on the clay (once again for now)
#1 on hard courts
#1 on indoor carpet
And a commanding #1 on the grass

Nadal has a lot more to improve than his less than spectacular grass court game to catch up with Federer.

Therefore the only place he can go is down. Have a nice day.

dh003i
07-01-2006, 02:46 PM

Yeah, you're right, he's going to drop below #2 when he gets injured due to his demanding playing style and improper technique, and when he loses some of that speed (as happened with Hewitt).

VamosRafa
07-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, you're right, he's going to drop below #2 when he gets injured due to his demanding playing style and improper technique, and when he loses some of that speed (as happened with Hewitt).

If you think that's going to happen any time soon, I have some swamp land in Florida that I'm sure you'd love to buy as well.... -- or at least convince yourself that you need to buy it. ;-)

FedererUberAlles
07-01-2006, 03:22 PM
And didn't I just see you across the street at the Church of Federer? YEAH!!

Hahah you are so funny Susan!!!

prostaff18
07-01-2006, 03:36 PM
I can’t stand Nadal but I love to watch him play. His sheer intensity and shot making ability is second to none. I think that Fed is the better player, but when you watch Fed all you see is a one sided match. When you see Nadal play you see him scrambling and making incredible shots. Fed just kills people. Nadal beats them.
And Fed is going to kill Nadal at the USO!!!!:p

Say Chi Sin Lo
07-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Exactly, being strong doesnt mean one is injury-proof. He's already experiencing some shoulder problems (because his forehand goes over his head, much like sharapova's, shoulders are not meant to rotate that way). Also, i think his lower back will be the next to be injured, look how much weight he puts on his back when he does the sharapova forehand.

And yes, stop stalling

127mph
07-01-2006, 05:26 PM
my question is why nadal must take so much time between points. i mean its one thing to stall your opponent and get them out of rythym, but bouncing the ball 12 times before every serve is unacceptable. and when ever the umpire calls time on changeover, nadal takes an extra 20 second to get off his *****. and then when he gets hit with a time violation, he takes it as if he were violated and being persicuited. and must he fistpump every point he wins? i mean fist pumping is ok when you hit a winner or if you just finished a long point, but not when your opponent dumps a forehand into the net. he plays dirty like the clay he slides on.

arosen
07-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I used to think that Rafa was a simple sum of big topspin groundies and tenacity supreme. After watching his matches at this Wimby, I noticed that he is actually really good at playing a soft ball at the net, hitting a nice approach, slicing when he has to slice. He doesn't dive for a volley like Gimmelstob, but he makes it into a winner. If he improves his serve, he's gonna do some damage on grass.

fastdunn
07-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Tennis is largely a running sport. And it's 90% mental.
In that sense, Nadal shows what tennis is really about.

And casual viewers do not really notice that Nadal actually
has gifted hands for subtle shots and pretty talented
shot making.

Make no mistake about it. Nadal is a great tennis talent.

tommytom11
07-02-2006, 12:38 AM

very very true. i admire him alot as an athlete, but i don't like his game and it is not fun to watch. it kinda reminds me of the old detroit pistons when they beat the lakers and bulls back in the early 90's. they win by turning a very graceful, highly skilled, entetaining, and fluid game into a mugging, and by defense. effective, but not entertaining. Nadal is a version of this. you could see the look on AA's face....complete frustration. ugly, and no fun for the fans or his opponent. he did serve great though.

superman1
07-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I'm done with Nadal. I originally enjoyed watching him, but it seems that every time I get up and watch a really big, hyped match, Nadal is always the one who beats the guy I'm rooting for. He takes forever on his serve, bounces the ball several times, makes the other guy wait...then he hits an ace. He hits the net cord...and it goes over. Every time. It seems that all the forces are behind this kid. LOSE! Just LOSE, for once!

Luca
07-02-2006, 09:39 AM
There´s always some people complaining about how Nadal plays, or how he celebrates his points or the strange rituals he has on court..I can understand some of these comments, (although personatly I find him very funny and particular, and with an strong personality) and yes, I also understand that he´s a different player, with a very own style, and some people can find his game "ugly" or very hard for tennis, which is supposed to be a "elegant" sport.
But other people also critizes his talent as a tennis player, and I might ask to those "tennis experts", If he plays soooo bad, if he has noooo talent at all, if he only hits the ball as hard as he can, if he just seems to be a killer boxer in a tennis court..
¿Why is he 2#? (could any Rugby player become Pro tennis player??):confused:

HollerOne5
07-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Nadal's technique is massively unorthodox and very ugly, but does it make him a bad tennis player? This is a question that will be debated over and over for quite some time.

Isn't this what they said about Monica Seles and her ridiculously unorthodox game?

Now, no one argues about her playing style. Just that she probably should have been greater than she already was if it weren't for the stabbing.

BTW, I don't think its a coincidence that Seles fans tend to gravitate toward Nadal, while Graf fans tend to gear towards Federer. One playing style is pure grit, determination and unorthodox. The other is completely classic, fluid, and textbook.