PDA

View Full Version : Brad Gilbert: Annoying or Not?

emcee
07-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Is he annoying as an announcer? I think he's terrible. He never stops talking and said these incredibly stupid things...

-Said Marat Safin would make a great linebacker (US Football). Um...excuse me? At 6'5''/195? Maybe he's big enough to be a safety but linebackers are at LEAST 230 lbs. And Gilbert claims he's a big football fan. Phfft.

-Said Gonzo can only play offense. Umm...name one player ever who could ONLY play offense...especially a BASELINER!!! Then repeatedly throughout the match he contradicted himself saying things like "Great D from Gonzo" and Chris Fowler seemed pretty peeved with him too.

-This wasn't entirely his fault but he mentioned how antsy Roddick must've been waiting for the Safin-Gonzales match to be over about 25 times. It was SO annoying.

So what do you think?

flymeng
07-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Brad tries to be cool but he ends up being annoying. He wears black in the hot sun and the Raiders' cap. Sacrifices comfort to be cool, totally juvenile mentality.

BTW, Safin is too small to play LB, maybe CB or WR but I don't know if he has explosive speed.

FedererUberAlles
07-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Brad Gilbert is so cool!!! His cool factor is to the max!!! 11/10 cool factor!!! YEAH!!

robertk29
07-01-2006, 12:36 PM
He is beyond annoying..his face must ache for hours with that forced smile..and "are not all my catchY lil faces just too cute?". hope he gets some guy to coach and get him the hell out of the booth..give Fowler more air time..he's cool dude imo

robertk29
07-01-2006, 12:36 PM
sorry should be "catchy lil phrases"..

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-01-2006, 12:40 PM
he's annoying cause he won't coach A-Rod:mad:

FedererUberAlles
07-01-2006, 12:43 PM
he's annoying cause he won't coach A-Rod:mad:

YEAH!!! What a jerk!! We definitely know what's best for him, am I right????

FEDEXP
07-01-2006, 02:43 PM
If he makes a prediction that player really needs to watch it; it's a hex, cause he's usually wrong. I find him well past annoying and really uncool.

Lee
07-01-2006, 02:45 PM
ya'll be sippin' on too much haterade...

shawn1122
07-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Fowler is such an ***. It's like he looks for oppurtunities to make fun of Gilbert on air. It makes him look like a complete idiot, which is what he deserves. Whatever happened to professionalism?

VamosRafa
07-01-2006, 05:40 PM
I like listening to his comments. He was a Top 10 player, and coached two players to No. 1, which is more than many of the commentators have done. And I think his insights, along with the others, are very interesting.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-01-2006, 05:41 PM
I dont like him, he is nowhere near as insightful and interesting as Shriver, John McEnroe, Mary Joe Fernandez, Mary Carillo, and many others. I find his obnoxious and smug.

theace21
07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
He is a sports fan. He makes these comments because the casual sports fan only tunes in to a couple of tournaments a year. I do wish he get out of the booth and teach the stubborn Roddick a few things...

grind
07-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Bottom line: Gilbert earned serious tennis fans respect in four ways: one, respectable career: two, great book for a winning game for hacks like us; three, coaching Agassi into the top tier of tennis history; four, taking one-dimensional Roddick to the US Open title. I'll listen to most everything he says as a result. Brad may be a little full of himself, but he knows what he's talking about. Roddick sure needed him around for awhile longer.

emcee
07-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Oh and yesterday, he said he doesn't like it when baseliners hit drop shots. I was like "Where did that come from?" and so was Fowler.

I think Fowler's a nice guy. Personally, I wouldn't be so easy on BG. I'm sure he's a great coach, but he's just not cut out to be a commentator. Talks entirely too much, contradicts himself often, and is just annoying. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I miss Carillo's matter-of-fact announcing.

Though it would be funny if they got BG and Mac announcing together. Mac wouldn't back down, that's for sure.

Lee
07-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Another reason why I like Brad Gilbert: he's from Northern California and he represents our sports teams everywhere he goes. Respect, man!

kooyah
07-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I dont like him, he is nowhere near as insightful and interesting as Shriver, John McEnroe, Mary Joe Fernandez, Mary Carillo, and many others. I find his obnoxious and smug.

"Insightful" isn't exactly the word I'd choose to describe either Shriver or Fernandez's commentary.

skip1969
07-01-2006, 07:21 PM
brad gilbert, annoying, yes.

prostaff18
07-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Brad is put on that show for one reason, which is to entertain people. He makes the show entertaining with his predictions of rain and matches not going on. Between Enberg's not knowing the difference between a game and a point, and watching Fernandez is like watching paint dry. I mean I would rather have Rush Limbaugh commentating the match than her.

scotus
07-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Are Brad and Cliff on bad terms?

When they were calling Fed's third-round match yesterday, they seemed totally at each other.

Gilbert at one point even told Cliff to "Be quiet."

TnTBigman
07-01-2006, 10:02 PM
brad is cool.

TnTBigman
07-01-2006, 10:02 PM
pmac is the problem. and cliffy too.

serveitup911
07-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I like the guy. He's funny and certainly much better than Mary-freaking-Carillo.

HollerOne5
07-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Brad Gilbert is the best commentator ESPN has.....he doesn't hold back, he says it like it is, and you have to respect whatever he says because he is extremely knowledgeable and has the resume to back it up. The most annoying, at least during this Wimbledon coverage, is freaking Patrick McEnroe's desire to get Federer in bed or something. He is so obsessed with him. Every time Federer hit a shot Patrick would have an outburst like he just orgasmed. If I heard PMac one more time say "My god that is just sick" talking about a great Federer shot, I am gonna blow up my TV. Then, he usually follows that up with the DROPPER. I would rather have MJ Fernandez and Pam Shriver call a match than Tim Ryan/Pat McEnroe combo

serveitup911
07-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I agree with Holler about PMac too. My favorite two are John McEnroe and Brad Gilbert.

Captain Lou
07-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Gilbert should stick to coaching and Fowler should stick to colege football. Is this the best guy that ESPN can get?

Captain America
07-02-2006, 07:56 AM
I like that Gilbert stirs it up - yes he's full of himself and says some questionable things but he definitely ups the entertainment factor (especially when Johnny Mac is off-air).

One thing I found amusing is how Gilbert has been absolutely LOVING the speculation over whether he's going to coach Murray or is in discussions with that camp. You'd expect someone in that position to downplay the topic and modestly redirect the discussion back to the tennis being played on the court. Not Gilbert - he actually looks like he's preening during the discussion and coyly adds fuel to the speculation....:D

wimble10
07-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Brad Gilbert is the best commentator ESPN has

2nd that

skip1969
07-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Gilbert should stick to coaching and Fowler should stick to colege football. Is this the best guy that ESPN can get?
captain lou, welcome to the board. you beauty! this is the best suggestion i've heard all day.

Bassus
07-03-2006, 01:20 PM

Wasn't it the case that Fowler really wanted to be ESPN's tennis guy because he is a big tennis fan?

True, he can be annoying, arrogant, and condescending, but at least he's a fan, which is more than you can say for most ESPN personalities. And I'm not knocking the network, as they should be commended for showing as much tennis as they do, but most of the talking-heads on the network are completely dismissive of, or hostile towards, tennis. And when they do manage to talk about it w/o bashing it, they usually display their ignorance of tennis. I don't know how many times I've heard someone on ESPN say that men's tennis is just a bunch of big serving -- I don't know how someone could come to that conclusion unless they are watching tapes of 90s-era Wimbledon.

RiosTheGenius
07-03-2006, 01:29 PM
pathetic..... I feel like my IQ drops about 50 points when I listen to all the nonsense he speaks

skip1969
07-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Wasn't it the case that Fowler really wanted to be ESPN's tennis guy because he is a big tennis fan?
i think you're right about that. i mean. the espn guys have veered towards covering the sports they like. like scott van pelt does golf and horse racing (i think) and trey wingo does the nba, etc.

i think that's cool. but fowler is a little too chatty for my taste. he's always talking, even during points. he says a lot of stuff that doesn't need to be said. and he conducts the players' interviews like he's fresh out of journalism school . . . . always salivating over the players and fawning over them like he's their bestest pal. that sh*t gets on my nerves. i'm surprised he doesn't whip out one of those larger than life tennis balls and a sharpie and requests autographs. "venus, can you put 'to chris with love, venus' . . . thanks, that'd be great!"

but he's STILL not as annoying as gilbert, who obviously didn't get enough attention as a child and is always shouting to be heard. i don't wnat the crew to be stiff and boring. but sometimes i feel like i'm watching a bunch of high school kids running the show (no offense to high school kids).

chiru
07-03-2006, 01:38 PM
I donno you guys, thinking about it, drysdale isn't really in touch with tennis nowadays, pmac kinda knows, but he was never a very top top player in his own right, redeeming himself through davis cup. however that really clouds his judgement on court in over supporting his americans, in particular andy roddick. but hes still okay. enberg, doesn't know any tennis. same goes for fowler, or tim ryan. mj fernandez, okay but still deson't know much about todays game. carillo is lost in federer loving and being confused about how tennis works nowadays and says the dumbest and must unnecessary things, shes definately the worst of the lot. John mac is awesome, funny, very knowledgable and says the right stuff. gilbert, overdoes the trying to be cool but thats excused by the fact he brings an excellant coaches perspective to the game, being one of the most celebrated coaches i can think of, short of maybe roche's time with lendl and rafter (and now fed). gilbert and j mac, by far the best of the pack. add jim courier when hes around to that group.

RiosTheGenius
07-03-2006, 01:38 PM
I just want to hear Cliffy and Fowler..... I'm tired of listening to Gilbert's stupid big mouth.... tired of Pat Mac and his .... and very tired of Fernandez overanalyzing women's game... there is absolutely nothing to analyze, it's lame, it's brainless (excluding Hingis, Mauresmo, and JHH) and it's boring.

RiosTheGenius
07-03-2006, 01:43 PM
I donno you guys, thinking about it, drysdale isn't really in touch with tennis nowadays, pmac kinda knows, but he was never a very top top player in his own right, redeeming himself through davis cup. however that really clouds his judgement on court in over supporting his americans, in particular andy roddick. but hes still okay. enberg, doesn't know any tennis. same goes for fowler, or tim ryan. mj fernandez, okay but still deson't know much about todays game. carillo is lost in federer loving and being confused about how tennis works nowadays and says the dumbest and must unnecessary things, shes definately the worst of the lot. John mac is awesome, funny, very knowledgable and says the right stuff. gilbert, overdoes the trying to be cool but thats excused by the fact he brings an excellant coaches perspective to the game, being one of the most celebrated coaches i can think of, short of maybe roche's time with lendl and rafter (and now fed). gilbert and j mac, by far the best of the pack. add jim courier when hes around to that group.
out of all the comments you just made..... Jim Courier..... that was very good, thanks for bringing him up.... but i disagree about Fowler, he knows the players very well and speaks well. Gilbert does bring the coach perspective, but there's something about him, something which makes him sound a bit unneducated, that's what makes me doubt him I think. .... like the drop out kid who made the tour and made some money kinda thing...

FEDEXP
07-03-2006, 05:19 PM
He's inarticulate.

HotCarl
07-03-2006, 05:38 PM
i want to shoot myself whenever dick enberg does one of his sappy emotional vignettes about wimbledon, or some other crap. He and Marty Carillo should both be banished to the geriatric stations, as only old people think they are great.

Marat Safinator
07-03-2006, 05:39 PM
seems like a funny guy

Marat Safinator
07-03-2006, 05:40 PM
pathetic..... I feel like my IQ drops about 50 points when I listen to all the nonsense he speaks

hahaha:D