PDA

View Full Version : roddick is out of the top ten!!!!! haha

rob32
07-01-2006, 03:07 PM
yayayayaya

LowProfile
07-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Yup. Blake is now officially the number one American player. Let's go James!

Gilgamesh
07-01-2006, 05:09 PM
What the hell has happened to this guy?

It is probably all mental. He should have made semis at least at Wimby.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

127mph
07-01-2006, 05:11 PM
roddick has absolutly no belief in himself anymore. his mind was skattered when he tried to make his game suit federers style. also firing brad gilbert was not the best of ideas.

theace21
07-01-2006, 05:12 PM
He might be done. No desire to train, and be coached...Can't just pound serves anymore...

ACE of Hearts
07-01-2006, 05:16 PM
As i was looking at the stats, i couldnt believe that Roddick came up to the net 59 times.:rolleyes: The guy is not a serve and volley player.He was averaging 129 on his first serve.Like i said, his big serve cant help him if the rest of his game stinks!

Gilgamesh
07-01-2006, 05:23 PM
He might be done. No desire to train, and be coached...Can't just pound serves anymore...

He can still pound big serves it is just like 127 said Roddick is trying to mix up his game too much and I also think that has to do with Federer. if the old Roddick can't beat Fed try to make a new one it is just that this new one absolutely sucks.

TN1
07-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I think Roddick just hit some bad luck. Especially considering how his clay court season went. Then considering today, he just ran into a better Andy today. I think he had a good game plan today, but he didn't account for Murray's crazy skills at passing and lobbing. Man that guy couldn't miss anything today when Roddick was at the net. This will probably just make Roddick better in the long run. I don't see the guy quitting anytime soon. Remember a young Federer that was getting beat because everybody was picking on his backhand? I am not saying Roddick is another Fed, but you can see Roddick trying new things and improvement in some of his weak areas.

emcee
07-01-2006, 05:59 PM
...but he didn't account for Murray's crazy skills at passing and lobbing...

Not to disagree with you, but Roddick so far has made every opponent he's volleyed against look like a wizard of the passing shot. At his height, Roddick shouldn't be getting lobbed often either.

I too think he should stick to his strengths. If I were him, my gameplan would go like this...

1. Pound serve.
2. If return is incredibly weak, try to hit a forehand winner. Go to net just in case the opponent returns it for the putaway volley. Don't miss.
3. Slice backhands or just spin it crosscourt. Don't take any risks on this wing; just keep in play.
4. Pound forehands.
5. Do not come to net except when you're hitting a shot that might be a winner. Net point% should be close to 100 because they should all be easy.

What do you guys think? He should not be forcing the issue at net...

Steve Dykstra
07-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Yes, you are right, he will definitely drop out of the top 10. He will definitely drop below Davydenko, Blake, Robredo, Ancic, Gaudio, and Stepanek, which would put him at 12. He could also possibly be passed by Hewitt, Berdych, Baghdatis, Nieminen, Ferrer, Verdasco, or Tursunov. By my calculations, Berdych needs to reach the quarters to pass Roddick, Hewitt, Nieminen, Baghdatis, and Ferrer need to reach the semis, and Verdasco and Tursunov need to win. He could potentially drop all the way to 16 if Berdych beats Federer, Nieminen and Hewitt reach the semis, and Verdasco wins the whole thing. There are other scenarios where he could end up at 16, but it is most likely for him to wind up at 13 or 14. The only way he could end up at 12 is if Murray makes it to the semis and none of those other players reach the calculated required round.

BeautyVenus
07-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Roddick never cared to learn how to volley. How can Roddick expect to volley well in a match when he hardly does?If Roddick wants to become a better volleyer I suggest he should talk to the Bryan Brothers and play some doubles. Playing doubles would force Roddick to serve and volley but he doesn't want to. So Roddick tries to volley and he sucks at it he can handle the high volleys but has bad anticpation and bad low volley skills. Roddick also has never decided to work on his backhand. Everybody knows if you want to beat Andy Roddick just attack his backhand. Its the same story. Roddick is lazy he doesn't want to learn and he deserves to slide down the rankings.

psp2
07-01-2006, 07:14 PM
if you look at andy's grip on his forehand volley, it's too western. that's why he nets so many volleys when the balls are low. high floaters... he can handle those quite well, but what pro on tour can't?

he just looks too mechanical at the net and looks awkward most of the time. how many times did he get lobbed by Fed during the '05 Wimby final? too many to count. andy just stood there looking at the lobs land 5' inside of the baseline. on one lob, andy didn't even look back to see if the ball landed in or not because he knew he was hugging the net too close.

andy's trying so desperately the "i'm going to mix up my game and add a bh slice so i can come to the net and show people that i can volley" technique. well, it's not working well. stick to your guns (serve/forehand).

c_zimma
07-01-2006, 07:22 PM
You guys have to realize that he got where he is doing what he does. I mean, anybody in the Top 100 is doing something right. He played at a high level for a while, but what goes up must come down. Maybe he will never be "great" again, but he was at one time. What more can you expect?

Bogie
07-01-2006, 07:26 PM
its about time. his performance this year doesnt even reflect top 30 play.

HollerOne5
07-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Let's just talk about the fact that he was the US Open Series winner last summer, and that is right around the corner, so if he doesn't even defend those points with this play, he will be out of the top 25 probably.

Bassus
07-01-2006, 07:42 PM
What the hell has happened to this guy?

It is probably all mental. He should have made semis at least at Wimby.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

No, its not all mental. I'm sure that plays a part, espeically with regards to lost confidence, but now more and more players can exploit the weaknesses in his game; i.e. the backhand, return, and movement.

I hope he can turn it around, but it wouldnt' surprise me if his days of being top-5 are over.

bluescreen
07-01-2006, 07:52 PM
i agree, its not all mental. aside from his serve, he has no shot that really sets him apart from everyone else. just from watching his match today, if he didnt get an ace or serve an unreturnable ball, murray either matched him or outplayed him from the ground and net. it was even mentioned that murray's backhand was better than roddick's, which is by all means true. yeah he has a good forehand, but not the best. he just has his serve to rely on, and when someone can get it back, like federer or murray today, he has no chance. he has to work on the other parts of his game to catch up w/ the others in the top ten.

nn
07-01-2006, 08:22 PM
man I am not roddick fan any more not because he is lost in wim or out of top 10. He always say that guy go for broke or winner on set point etc etc... why can't you do the same rather wait for others to make mistake...

one more point from his interview.. I hit like 3-4 great shots in corner but he return all of them, so what I can do.. Roddick in that case kiss and say bye-bye to top 10...

so many things has said about his game, mental attitude and flaws but nobody understand that he has no patience during point with winning attitude ..I mean to say if other guy return your serve then so be it but no he wants to win every point on serve and not in rallies or hit that forehand winner all the time.. i can't go on and on.. roddick lost one more fan so many will follow once after this year..

Kartasco
07-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Serve is still very good, but the rest of the game... Even average top 100 player with good return can challenge Roddick. Where are you, Roddick 2003?

guernica1
07-01-2006, 08:38 PM
His backhand has regressed tremendously. This is a guy that is best off winning short points. Slicing backhands without any sort of direction or nasty bite just prolongs a point and allows opponents to get in a groove.

But I think his biggest problem on all surfaces is staying 6 feet behind baseline.

Steve Dykstra
07-03-2006, 06:59 AM
its about time. his performance this year doesnt even reflect top 30 play.

He is easily still a top 30 caliber player based on his performance this year. If you don't believe me, look here:
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/championsrace/

tangerine
07-03-2006, 10:56 AM
People who say that Roddick's demise isn't mental know nothing about sports and how lack of confidence and belief in themselves can mess up the best players (see Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, who also lost their stuff for a bit before re-finding their game and belief in themselves). Hitting a career slump happens to many players.

I seem to recall a lot of you gloating over how Lleyton Hewitt was "done" about a year or so ago and that he'd never be top ten material anymore. Guess what happened since then?

As is always the case, TW '***** tend to be proven wrong over and over again. This case won't be any different. :cool: