PDA

View Full Version : Mirnyi vs Bjorkman?!

supersmash
07-01-2006, 03:44 PM
This should be pretty interesting.

Check out their head to head:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=mirnyi&player2=bjorkman

shawn1122
07-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Wow, I guess Mirnyi isnt making the semi's at this rate.

ACE of Hearts
07-01-2006, 04:34 PM
I see Bjorkman still in the draw and i am just dumbfounded.:mrgreen:

Feņa14
07-01-2006, 04:43 PM
I see Bjorkman still in the draw and i am just dumbfounded.:mrgreen:

I saw him play first hand last week at Nottingham, and I sure was impressed.

His returns seemed as good as ever and his serve still allows him to get to the net to dictate there. Some of the reflex volleys and little touches he produced were pure genius. The look on his face when he won his semi final match showed how hungry he is and enjoying his tennis which is really good to see for a man who has done alot in the game.

I was also courtside for his match against Thomas Johansson on Tuesday and saw more of the same from him. I think semi's are a real possibility for him and I for one would love to see him there.

Some of the most entertaining tennis I have seen in a long time has come from him in the last few weeks so long may it continue.

Court_Jester
07-01-2006, 04:53 PM
What intrigues me about this match up is that they're doubles partners.

Feņa14
07-01-2006, 05:06 PM
What intrigues me about this match up is that they're doubles partners.

lol yeh it does add a nice little edge to the match up. I have visions of them moving their seats next to each other to be near each other during change overs, not to mention high fiving each other after a good rally ;)

I suppose it could be worse if it was the Bryans, not only because both Bryan brothers in the Fourth round of Wimbledon would mean that something is drastically wrong! But the fact that they would more likely than not do the famous "belly bounce" celebration ... creatures of habit are doubles players :)

travlerajm
07-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Bjorkman's always been one of the most well-rounded players on tour. When he reached #4 in the world, many people considered him the best returner in the game at the time. And he's always been a decent serve-and-volleyer. Very few players are as solid on every stroke, without an obvious weakness.

Mikael
07-02-2006, 01:21 AM
I haven't seen Bjorkman play in a while but his forehand used to be pretty weak. The kind of shot that could very easily crumble under pressure. His backhand was money though. Serve also used to be a little suspect, with a few too many double faults.

Ztalin
07-02-2006, 02:25 AM
I see this match happening like Hewitt vs Coria at Davis Cup.

Mirnyi: "COME ON! GIVE IT TO ME!!!"
Bjorkman: "Oh f*** off"

rasajadad
07-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Due to Federer's relatively quick loss in Paris, American TV showed the men's doubles final (Bryan's vs. Mirnyi/Bjorkman). It was unbelievable in that doubles gets shown here once or twice a year. My point is that Bjorkman is an extremely talented player who can serve and volley extremely well. Secondly, I'd pick Bjorkman in a head to head matchup. Anyone who could win a pro tournament dragging around an old man as a doubles partner has got the goods in my book. (Sorry, Mac.)

supersmash
07-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Yes, Mike Bryan gave Jonas big props for playing so well at 34. Refer to his blog.

Eviscerator
07-02-2006, 08:54 AM
I've seen Jonas play many times, and have spoken to him on several occasions. He is very down to earth and a fun loving guy.
You would be hard pressed to find a better doubles partner, hence the reason Todd Woodbridge teamed up with him after Mark Woodforde retired as part of their great "Woodies" tandem.
He has one of the best returns in the game, and is much more athletic than most people give him credit for. Additionally, he is one of the funniest guys on the tour, and he does perfect imitations of his fellow players serving styles and playing idiosyncrasies.

If you ever have a chance to watch him play in person, buy the ticket because it will be money well spent.

malakas
07-02-2006, 09:04 AM
I think that the Beast will win the Swede.

Saito
07-02-2006, 09:10 AM
I've seen Jonas play many times, and have spoken to him on several occasions. He is very down to earth and a fun loving guy.
You would be hard pressed to find a better doubles partner, hence the reason Todd Woodbridge teamed up with him after Mark Woodforde retired as part of their great "Woodies" tandem.
He has one of the best returns in the game, and is much more athletic than most people give him credit for. Additionally, he is one of the funniest guys on the tour, and he does perfect imitations of his fellow players serving styles and playing idiosyncrasies.

If you ever have a chance to watch him play in person, buy the ticket because it will be money well spent.

I think both Max and Jonas are great down-earth-people. Watched them at the Masters. Great individuals for the sport IMO.

hoosierbr
07-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Bjorkman is a great guy, I second that. Had a chance to meet him a couple of times at the USO last year.

Never had a chance to meet The Beast but everyone has nice things to say about him.

I'm going w/Bjorkman in four and, possibly, he could make the semifinals. Two years in a row with a Swede in the Wimby semis! And Bjorkman beat last year's in the first round!

Tomba
07-02-2006, 11:06 AM
I pick Bjorkman to win this one. He has more strengh. Will the match be played Monday?

Volly master
07-02-2006, 11:07 AM
lol they played at least once in the last 6 years, too funny