PDA

View Full Version : still no love for nadal on grass??

tennis_nerd22
07-01-2006, 05:52 PM
wow, after watching today's match against agassi, i believe nadal has a very good chance of winning wimbledon, or at least making the finals (fed will probably beat him, but not defintely, that is of course, if they meet). but especially after that first set, being down 5-2 in the tiebreaker, against one of the best players of all time (not THE best, ONE of the best), and a player who had won wimbledon, and then coming back to win that set and win the match in straight sets, i think nadal shouldnt be taken so lightly. even agassi, being one of the best returners in the game, couldnt even get a break OPPORTUNITY in the whole match.

yet everyone on the boards still thinks he has no chance of even beating hewitt. i mean, sure its only one win against a player who's retiring soon, and is getting old. but i mean its not like agassi didnt have anything in the tank for the first set... i think hewitt might be a "more fitter agass" against nadal. if agassi wasnt as old as he is (and yes i have lots of respect for agassi), and his age didnt get to him, this match would have been at least a 4 setter, probably 5.

all i know is, that if nadal wins wimbledon, i'd like to see what the fed fans' excuses are (and no im not a nadal fan really, i like both players, but i love their rivalry, and i love reading all the crap on these boards about them :D )

Tennis_Goodness
07-01-2006, 05:54 PM
He can make the finals but I don't think he has a good chance to win it. Federer is much better then him. He's the number 2 player in the world and he's looking impressive!

federerhoogenbandfan
07-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Agassi isnt even a top 50 calibre player anymore. It is sad but all the injuries he has this year have diminished him to almost nothing. The two players he played in the first two rounds were not top 50 calibre, thus allowing him to reach the 3rd round. Nadal's next opponent will even give him a better match then Agassi did probably.

Exile
07-01-2006, 06:01 PM
agassi isn't exactly a grass court player either.

shawn1122
07-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Federer has had his heart broken two years in a row at the French Open. There is no way Nadal is gonna win in his first real run through Wimbledon. If he does, then we might as well just accept him as the real #1.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I do think he has a shot at the semis thanks to his joke of a draw. I doubt he would beat Hewitt though. He could also lose in the quarters, both Nieminen and Tursonov have a good shot at him on grass.

Gilgamesh
07-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Agassi isnt even a top 50 calibre player anymore. It is sad but all the injuries he has this year have diminished him to almost nothing. The two players he played in the first two rounds were not top 50 calibre, thus allowing him to reach the 3rd round. Nadal's next opponent will even give him a better match then Agassi did probably.

Not trying to diminish Nadal's accomplishment but this is true.

Agassi although he played well his first two matches is not the top player he once was. The guy is a legend and I am glad he got a standing O from the Wimby crowd.

But Nadal's grass game has improved. Probably not enough to win this year (Federer looks unstoppable) but Nadal going deep into Wimby in the future should no longer be that big of a surprise. The guy should make QF at least.

Gilgamesh
07-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Federer has had his heart broken two years in a row at the French Open. There is no way Nadal is gonna win in his first real run through Wimbledon. If he does, then we might as well just accept him as the real #1.

If Nadal can somehow win Wimby and beat Fed in the Finals which I see is next to impossible of course he should be #1.

There is no way I can accept Federer as a better player than Nadal if Nadal can beat him on clay, hardcourt, and grass.

theace21
07-01-2006, 06:13 PM
You must not have watched the Kendrick match? He was lucky to win...

shawn1122
07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Then how could he win so easily against Agassi?

127mph
07-01-2006, 06:21 PM
agassi hardly served well and went to net at all. rafa did bang it out today but this should not suggest a vicotry at wimbledon. he isnt no borg.

knasty131
07-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Then how could he win so easily against Agassi?

easily??? did you see the first set??? nadal played great, but agassi put up an amazing fight against the no. 2 player in the world IMO

VamosRafa
07-01-2006, 07:16 PM
You must not have watched the Kendrick match? He was lucky to win...

He wasn't lucky to win -- he gutted that one out, against a player who was playing the match of his career.

That didn't happen today. He totally outplayed Agassi, probably serving the best he has in his career.

Have you guys watch the match? I've seen it three times, and have had the benefit of listening to commentating by such slouches as Jimmy Connors, Pat Cash, John McEnroe, Pat McEnroe and Mary Carillo.

Granted, they know nothing about tennis, and neither does Andre. But if you listen to them, one would think that maybe, just maybe, Rafa has a future in tennis. ;-)

brolycjw
07-01-2006, 07:51 PM
I'd have to admit Nadal's defensive skills are flawless, no doubt the best in the atp tour. But as far as getting into the semi-finals or even the finals on grass, I still doubt the possibility with his current game. As many people have mentioned, his draw in this year's wimbledon was pretty much a joke compared to Federer's draw. I'd say quarterfinals for him, but don't expect too much. Even if he gets to the finals, Federer would beat him in straights given that Federer is just so godly in Wimbledon right now.

Tennis_Goodness
07-01-2006, 07:54 PM
He wasn't lucky to win -- he gutted that one out, against a player who was playing the match of his career.

That didn't happen today. He totally outplayed Agassi, probably serving the best he has in his career.

Have you guys watch the match? I've seen it three times, and have had the benefit of listening to commentating by such slouches as Jimmy Connors, Pat Cash, John McEnroe, Pat McEnroe and Mary Carillo.

Granted, they know nothing about tennis, and neither does Andre. But if you listen to them, one would think that maybe, just maybe, Rafa has a future in tennis. ;-)

He wasn't playing the match of his career. He can play like that on Grass again and again.

shawn1122
07-01-2006, 08:17 PM
I'd have to admit Nadal's defensive skills are flawless, no doubt the best in the atp tour. But as far as getting into the semi-finals or even the finals on grass, I still doubt the possibility with his current game. As many people have mentioned, his draw in this year's wimbledon was pretty much a joke compared to Federer's draw. I'd say quarterfinals for him, but don't expect too much. Even if he gets to the finals, Federer would beat him in straights given that Federer is just so godly in Wimbledon right now.

But Federer has always looked amazing against every other player, so it might not necessarily be a Wimbledon thing. And if thats the case, then things would not be so easy against Nadal (since he has never dominated him.)

topspin_17
07-02-2006, 03:42 AM
Nadal was playing at really good against Agassi, and there was nothing Agassi could do about it. Nadal's just going to keep on going for that Wimbledon title, but he has to get past Federer first. Sure he can beat Federer on clay, but he has to find a way to beat Federer on grass. And he'll find out through experience of beating other players... He's going to have to investigate different ways other than just running around the court... The reason he wins on clay is that he runs like hell for the ball, hits it deep, makes the opponent hit it half-court, and makes a winner. But I don't know if he can do it on grass, because grass is completely different to clay; grass is fast, the ball bounces much lower, and on clay, the ball is quite slow (unless you put super spin on it like Nadal and Federer), and the ball bounces quite high. But anyways, keep it up, Nadal!

Virtuous
07-02-2006, 03:58 AM
A new thread on this everytime he wins a round?