PDA

View Full Version : Who is more dissipointing? Blake or Roddick?

TXKiteboarder
07-01-2006, 07:51 PM
So, here we have two americans that tanked early.

I more dissipointed in Blake the way he tanked the last two sets completely after winning two sets straight. He lost 6-1, 6-0, I believe.

what do you think?

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1289/20060701roddickmod7vu.jpg

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1930/pilotpen2005082804726gl.jpg

BeautyVenus
07-01-2006, 07:56 PM
I would have to say Roddick because nobody expected Blake to show the results he has this year. No one expected Blake to contine the strong play from last year. However, on terms of raw talent Blake is indeed more talented then Roddick. Blake is stronger physically, he's faster, he has better all around groundstrokes and net game. The difference until recently is the mental aspect and Roddick was stronger mentally. However, Roddick's confidence has dropped big time because now he's just losing to anybody and everybody. By contrast, Blake isn't he's beating top players he's getting
consistent results. The problem for Blake is with his success the media are already comparing him to Arthur Ashe which clearly is seems to be too much pressure for Blake. Now Blake is losing in slams to players he shouldn't be losing to such as Robredo, Monfils and Miryni. Blake had opportunites to win those matches but he doesn't believe in his talent. Blake's attitude is also shocking he claims to not mind losing these matches. Blake has a horrible 0-9 record in grand slams five set matches. Roddick and Blake are now at same level both are choke artists.

oscar_2424
07-01-2006, 07:57 PM
i wasnt expecting much from Roddick due to his lasts results, but Blake, i thought he was going to have a better performance at Wimbledon

Gilgamesh
07-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Roddick.

He was expected by many to reach at least the semis.

Guy made the finals twice in a row and dominated his opponent before Murray.

Blake just choked. Has the guy even won a 5 setter? In basketball we would call him unclutch. 1-12 in the last two sets is mediocre. He becomes a below average player when emotions get the best of him.

prostaff18
07-01-2006, 08:09 PM
I vote for Roddick not only because of the early exit at Wimby but because of the way that he has been playing this year.

Mike Danger
07-01-2006, 08:25 PM
I think the problem is they practice with each other!

diegaa
07-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I think the problem is they practice with each other!
lol, good point.
Roddick has been disappointing his fans for a while... Blake, well, i guess you can call it a bad streak.

wyutani
07-01-2006, 08:37 PM
both players are really bad actually...you should add in a poll for "oth" being disappointing mate;...

tangerine
07-01-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm disappointed in the lack of threads bashing Roddick and Blake.

KBalla08
07-01-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm disappointed in the lack of threads bashing Roddick and Blake.
im disappointed in the amount of Roddick bashing... its stupid

snoflewis
07-01-2006, 11:36 PM
im more diappointed in roddick...but honestly, im not surprised by the results of both players. blake, like safin, never plays well on grass, but roddick is a finalist from last year...i would have expected him to at least go the semis.

chess9
07-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, in defense of Blake, I think he simply had a very flat day. Everyone has them sooner or later. He's played very good tennis this year so far and should be quite proud of his achievements.

Roddick is simply lost. In his match against Murray it was Murray who showed the poise, touch, and creativity necessary to win at that level. Andy Roddick has the talent, but he needs an arrow in his life pointing him in the right direction. No player is in need of a strong coach more than Roddick. (Well, Dementieva needs a serving coach, LOL.)

In some defense of Roddick, I'd say Murray was playing stunning tennis and has been this whole week. For some reason he is totally stoked at this year's Wimbledon. Of course, he has his family and home crowd cheering him on, which must be a huge help at his age.

-Robert

Mr.Federer
07-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Roddick, this shouldn't even be a question. Just look where was Blake last year at this time.

Count Grishnackh
07-02-2006, 06:11 AM
I would have to say Roddick because nobody expected Blake to show the results he has this year. No one expected Blake to contine the strong play from last year. However, on terms of raw talent Blake is indeed more talented then Roddick. Blake is stronger physically, he's faster, he has better all around groundstrokes and net game. The difference until recently is the mental aspect and Roddick was stronger mentally. However, Roddick's confidence has dropped big time because now he's just losing to anybody and everybody. By contrast, Blake isn't he's beating top players he's getting
consistent results. The problem for Blake is with his success the media are already comparing him to Arthur Ashe which clearly is seems to be too much pressure for Blake. Now Blake is losing in slams to players he shouldn't be losing to such as Robredo, Monfils and Miryni. Blake had opportunites to win those matches but he doesn't believe in his talent. Blake's attitude is also shocking he claims to not mind losing these matches. Blake has a horrible 0-9 record in grand slams five set matches. Roddick and Blake are now at same level both are choke artists.

I would agree with everything except a couple of things. Roddick is stronger than Blake, but Blake has the better groundstrokes, return and he's faster. Roddick is physically built stronger than Blake and has the edge on serve. He used to hit hard, flat forehands but now he's playing from the baseline not to miss, very conservative. He just doesn't have any variety whatsoever, grass complemented his limited game very well and he's going south in a hurry, alot of it is mental and he's lost some stick on his forehand, maybe even on his serve. But he's playing the most out his game, we're expecting too much from him, Safin is the true underachiever. He's the one who should get ripped apart here, not Roddick. But I know that the haters enjoy ripping someone that hate than someone they like. SO to answer the question, Roddick is more disappointing because he's had results and Blake's best result in a slam was QF last year at US Open.

Captain America
07-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Based on results up to this point in the season, I had higher hopes for Blake than Roddick. And the way that he crumbled those last two sets was painful to watch...

Cfidave
07-02-2006, 07:40 AM
Blake, without a doubt. Blakes is on the way up, I had high hopes. Roddick is on decline, and has been for over a year. I am not supprised he lost to Murray.

BabolatFan
07-02-2006, 07:52 AM
I was hoping Roddick would show some spunk in the finals. He's done well being runner-up at least past 2 yrs. Blake? He's improved within the past year, so I'll let him slide this time...

Mr Topspin
07-02-2006, 07:58 AM
I was fortunate to be at centre court and witnessed the Murray Roddick match firsthand and i must say in defence of Roddick he was on that day just outplayed.

I have never been a big fan of Murray but when you watch him live and in person you begin to realise his enormous potential. Murray has a well rounded game and was impressive with the way he changes pace and spin during the rally.

Most of the fans at the match were quite unanimous that Murray was just too good on the day. I would take the presumption further and add that Murray may well be a bad matchup for Roddick.

During the match Roddick was constantly having to save break points and was always struggling in rallies. It became patently obvious that once the rally goes past 2 shots Roddick was in trouble due to the variety that Murray provided.

In short i think it was a bad day for the big server but he was completly outplayed by Andy Murray.

theace21
07-02-2006, 08:49 AM
It is tough being a Roddick fan, when you knew he wouldn't make it to the 2nd week. Beg Gilbert to come back, and listen to him...

Progressive10s
07-02-2006, 09:06 AM
At Wimbledon, both players met with tough opponents. Blake was exposed by Mirnyi's serve and volley game. He dared Blake to come up with passing shots that he could not produce. Blake has a hard time when he is being dictated to (ala his matches vs Federer). Murray had to win to restore some British pride (after the World Cup loss) even though he is a Scot. There's no fire in Roddick's belly any longer--I question whether he wants to be the best anymore.

Max G.
07-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Neither. I don't find either one of them to be "disappointing" as players, though both have certainly had disappointing Wimbledons this year. More disappointing Wimbledon for Roddick, since he's been the finalist past two years.