PDA

View Full Version : I would give anything to see an American win a Grand Slam again.

Mountainman
07-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Wimbledon is driving me crazy. The French Open was a disaster. I want to see an American win a Grand Slam. I thought Andy Roddick was the next new star but he has been really upsetting. I hate Agassi retiring. I have small hope for James Blake. He's trying at least. Come on, USA. Give me someone with talent.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-01-2006, 09:31 PM
won't happen for sometime mate, Fed Express will sweep the next 4.

Captain Lou
07-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Hire a hitman to off Federer and teach young players to play on red clay. The Americans have a lot of work to do and no one but Federer is going to win for a while. I hate when one guy always wins. That's what I use to hate about Sampras.

arosen
07-01-2006, 09:46 PM
The future is currently looking bleak. Blake has no chance against Fed, and Fed and Rafa are seeded 1-2 so Blake would have to play Fed at USO either way. Who else is out there? Nobody. I watched futures a bunch of times, and noone looks inspiring. They are all good players, but good is not going to cut it nowadays. Donald Young is a joke of this here town. Querrey needs a lot of work to even get to top 100. Long wait for US, long long wait.

wyutani
07-01-2006, 09:49 PM
an american may win a grand slam if there is a new 5th grand slam tournament where only americans may participate...

ta11geese3
07-01-2006, 10:52 PM
It's fine if we have to wait... even if we got some new and upcoming star, he wouldn't be able to beat fed... might as well wait until he's past his prime.

naturalgut
07-01-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm hoping that Taylor Dent finds his form quickly in time for the US Open

diegaa
07-02-2006, 12:43 AM
There´s been a considering number of thread about this subject or pretty similar. The general conclusion of those threads was that it will eventually show up a "next generation" of fine US players, and I agree with it. But I wouldnt be to worried about that.
Winning a slam in the next few years seems unlikely though...

Rhino
07-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Agassi might make another heroic run at his last US Open this year, like Sampras in 2002, you never know. Although I admit that does look unlikely.

Blake will probably make a very decent run at the Open though (as long as he doesn't have to play any 5th sets).

What happened to Ginepri? He was looking promising for a while there.

And SPADEA.... he's brilliant, why can't he progress?

wyutani
07-02-2006, 04:29 AM
I'm hoping that Taylor Dent finds his form quickly in time for the US Open

dent is british mate'...

Shabazza
07-02-2006, 05:12 AM
dent is british mate'...
are you trying to be funny or do you really believe the nonsense you're writing....

Feña14
07-02-2006, 06:00 AM
You would give anything to see an American win a slam?

Well being English join the club! What I would give to see Tim Henman win a slam, especially Wimbledon.

What it would do for British tennis would be amazing with people wanting to take it up and more money being spent on the game in my country.

It's only been 3 years for America, we've been waiting for 70 years! :(

Rhino
07-02-2006, 06:08 AM
are you trying to be funny or do you really believe the nonsense you're writing....

You're right it's actually Blake who's English. (English mother).

Marius_Hancu
07-02-2006, 12:46 PM
The Academies have brought the production line to the North American tennis teaching. No big surprise the public isn't enjoying this tennis, and no surprise physically talented kids don't come to it.

Even more, the Academies have proliferated the Agassi style of baseline bashing, where they could have taken a much better and spectacular model, the one of Sampras. But then, you need a much more better athlete for that and they don't recruit for talent, but for parents' money and quick results, not for long-term growth.

Shabazza
07-02-2006, 12:46 PM
You would give anything to see an American win a slam?

Well being English join the club! What I would give to see Tim Henman win a slam, especially Wimbledon.

What it would do for British tennis would be amazing with people wanting to take it up and more money being spent on the game in my country.

Every streak ends someday, even the bad ones! ;)

thebosher
07-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Scoville Jenkins is the future of American tennis!

Volly master
07-02-2006, 12:55 PM

If he is the future of american tennis, then Im the future of the grocery busniess in the USA.

kooyah
07-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Why does it matter if a player is American? I've never cared about the nationality of tennis players. Never have, probably never will.

Matthew
07-02-2006, 01:14 PM
There are plenty of countries out there who would kill to just have a top 10 player. Look at Thailand and Paradorn. He is a national hero there and he hasn't come close to winning a slam. USA doesn't have it so bad.

AAAA
07-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Every streak ends someday, even the bad ones! ;)

Don't be so sure on that one.

Rhino
07-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Why does it matter if a player is American? I've never cared about the nationality of tennis players. Never have, probably never will.

Totally. I couldn't care less either.
However it is kind of fun teasing the people that do.

jukka1970
07-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Ok this thread title needs to be changed to another american Male winning a slam. Because Venus and Serena have been winning slam titles. And this is the first year since 99 I think that a Williams sister hasn't been in the finals.

Personally I'm happy to finally have some Slam events that don't have an American winning. There are to many good players from around the world, and I'm very happy to see them coming from everywhere.

As for when will a male from the US win another slam title. Well it's going to take time, but it'll happen again

pound cat
07-02-2006, 02:08 PM
It would be great for the US oT have some players who can be counted on to get deep into a tournament/Slam. ESPN devotes a lot of time to tennis, and it's too bad no one is going to be in the second week of Wimby.

What is it...with all the tennis advantages in the US which all the foreign players coming to the USA know, what is the problem for the home growns?

emcee
07-02-2006, 03:02 PM
I'd like to see a finesse player (like Hingis) win a Slam more than I want an American to win one (and I'm American). I'm not one who would rather watch replays of old Roddick matches over live action and I'm not someone who thinks Roddick is better than Fed, but it would be nice to see either Agassi or Roddick or Blake somehow make a run at the US Open. It's not going to happen for Agassi though considering his style of play is twice as taxing as Sampras's was...which is why Andre ran out of gas in that final.

sureshs
07-02-2006, 03:04 PM
dent is british mate'...

he is half-australian

sureshs
07-02-2006, 03:09 PM
The Academies have brought the production line to the North American tennis teaching. No big surprise the public isn't enjoying this tennis, and no surprise physically talented kids don't come to it.

Even more, the Academies have proliferated the Agassi style of baseline bashing, where they could have taken a much better and spectacular model, the one of Sampras. But then, you need a much more better athlete for that and they don't recruit for talent, but for parents' money and quick results, not for long-term growth.

But are the South American and European academies different? Aren't they churning out clay baseliners only?

It is easy to say teach an all-court style. But when a player is a kid, the academies don't know what height he will end up at, and without being quite tall, S&V is impossible in today's game. Agassi probably did well to stay on the baseline and not venture forward.

Matt_Williamson
07-03-2006, 12:53 PM

I know Scoville... very well... he's a great guy, but he isn't the future of American tennis... if by that you mean a top 10-20 player.

Matt_Williamson
07-03-2006, 12:55 PM

Many players train here and utilize all American resources of tennis, yet "play" for their respective country... it is what it is.

Matt_Williamson
07-03-2006, 12:58 PM
I'd like to see a finesse player (like Hingis) win a Slam more than I want an American to win one (and I'm American). I'm not one who would rather watch replays of old Roddick matches over live action and I'm not someone who thinks Roddick is better than Fed, but it would be nice to see either Agassi or Roddick or Blake somehow make a run at the US Open. It's not going to happen for Agassi though considering his style of play is twice as taxing as Sampras's was...which is why Andre ran out of gas in that final.

Agassi played an excellent match at '05 Open final... Fed was just too good... it happens. Was not the Blake v Agassi & Ginepri v Agassi matches worthy of your nodding??

Matt_Williamson
07-03-2006, 01:00 PM
But are the South American and European academies different? Aren't they churning out clay baseliners only?

It is easy to say teach an all-court style. But when a player is a kid, the academies don't know what height he will end up at, and without being quite tall, S&V is impossible in today's game. Agassi probably did well to stay on the baseline and not venture forward.

Agreed... kinda... S&V is NOT making a retro comeback on hard court or clay. Remember that when S&V ruled the tennis world, 3 of 4 slams were played on grass... 'nuff said.

goober
07-03-2006, 01:05 PM
he is half-australian

Don't even bother pointing out facts to Wyutani. He is completely clueless. Among his past assertions are that Michael Chang was the last American Slam winner and that Roddick left Brad Gilbert to join his brother. If you question his ignorance or at the very least not bothering to check on what he is posting he will reply., "You got something against Asians?"

skip1969
07-03-2006, 01:16 PM
mountainman, you'd give anything to see an american win a grand slam again?? well, you just might have to! :D

listen to feña. three years ain't really all that long of a drought, as far as droughts go. ask a cubs fan!

everything is cyclical. and the us has had men and women at or near the top of our sport for a very long time. personally, i could care less where a player is from, but i see your point. one of the great things about tennis is how international it is. i love that.

FEDEXP
07-03-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm an American and it's just a non-issue for me....

Marius_Hancu
07-04-2006, 03:18 AM
Somewhat related ...
http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/story/9538831

Marius_Hancu
07-04-2006, 03:21 AM
Agreed... kinda... S&V is NOT making a retro comeback on hard court or clay. Remember that when S&V ruled the tennis world, 3 of 4 slams were played on grass... 'nuff said.

Sampras won his last US Open in 2002 by S-V and his last W in 2000. This wasn't the era when 3 of 4 slams were played on grass, it's recent.

wyutani
07-04-2006, 04:13 AM
Don't even bother pointing out facts to Wyutani. He is completely clueless. Among his past assertions are that Michael Chang was the last American Slam winner and that Roddick left Brad Gilbert to join his brother. If you question his ignorance or at the very least not bothering to check on what he is posting he will reply., "You got something against Asians?"

lolz, you know, i only post that "against asians" thing only ONCE and that was months ago. lolz. someone is sensitive here...:confused:

Rickson
07-04-2006, 05:17 AM
Wimbledon is driving me crazy. The French Open was a disaster. I want to see an American win a Grand Slam. I thought Andy Roddick was the next new star but he has been really upsetting. I hate Agassi retiring. I have small hope for James Blake. He's trying at least. Come on, USA. Give me someone with talent.
As long as Federer is healthy and still playing, the slams are on hold for Americans.

Captain America
07-04-2006, 06:22 AM
Agreed that the next couple of years look challenging for American tennis.

I'll probably get hammered for this opinion, but I think our best hope is for Serena and/or Venus to have a mid-career epiphany (a la Agassi in the mid-90s) that they are completely flushing their careers down the toilet. Despite their lack of focus and fitness, at the top of their games they both have the talent to compete with the most elite WTA players.

Compare that to men's side, where the current cast of Americans (Roddick, Blake, Ginepri, etc.) are pretty dedicated but simply a notch in talent behind the world's best. In any slam they'll certainly be in the mix, but it's difficult to bet on them accumulating any hardware in the near term.

skip1969
07-04-2006, 06:28 AM
that's a pretty fair assessment, captain america. I'M certainly not gonna hammer you. hehe

goober
07-04-2006, 08:24 AM
lolz, you know, i only post that "against asians" thing only ONCE and that was months ago. lolz. someone is sensitive here...:confused:

Ok sorry that's true you only said that once. But seriously you really should check on some of things you post before you present them as fact.

Andres
07-04-2006, 08:33 AM
No, goober, but that "someone is sensitive here" is a repetitive line from him. So his reply wouldn't be "you got something against Asians", but a direct attack towards you like "someone is sensitive".

Yutani, you've been playing AND following tennis for only a year, (or was it year and a half) ... why do u want to RUSH things?

To show some knowledge? You have none, yet. You've shown that already.

To be a helpful member of the board? You can't, YET. You lie, change your story, and you're a master at changing subjects when someone points something at you.

We already know about you, so stop pretending, caro mio, and show us the real you. The goofy short skinny guy, with the glasses, and a little fat around his waist, who doesn't play tennis very good, but wants to improve so bad. We're willing to help you, we only need YOU to accept our help.

Let's start with: "Andrés: I suck. Can you help me?"

malakas
07-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Q. Last year three of the four finalists were Americans, and obviously yourself. This year, there's no Americans left. Are you surprised, especially considering their record here in the past in Wimbledon?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I am. I mean, I think it's quite a disappointment, you know. We know that it can happen at the French Open, but now, you know, seeing that it happening in Wimbledon is obviously a bit of a surprise. The women's side, you know, you're missing Serena, you're missing Lindsay. Andy obviously was a bit of a surprise.

I mean, it's disappointing because I like seeing the Americans, you know, going far. They've had a great history, you know, almost in any Grand Slam to play well, especially with Pete and Andre, Courier and Chang, all these guys around. So, yeah, I hope it's gonna be better for them at the US Open.

callitout
07-04-2006, 05:44 PM
In the present and very near future there seem to be only 2 countries with significant chances for multiple slams on the male side (Spain, Switzerland). So who cares that there arent Americans. Like others said, there arent any other players outside of Nadal and Fed winning slams these days.

More generally, tennis is a very minor sport to Americans. In several countries which are producing more top 50 players (like Russia and Spain) it holds a much higher place.

If America stunk in golf, basketball or baseball, that would be surprising. But just as were not good in soccer, were not that good in tennis; mostly because our top athletes play other sports these days.

AAAA
07-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Maria Sharapova is through to the SF and by some reckoning she is American.;-)

Matt_Williamson
07-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Sampras won his last US Open in 2002 by S-V and his last W in 2000. This wasn't the era when 3 of 4 slams were played on grass, it's recent.

WOW... one player... WOW... also, if you watch that US Open, I'll bet Sampras was 50-60% S&V. Sampras played much of the game from the backcourt... an excellent running forehand.

Next...