PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Racquets and String life

volleyman
07-02-2006, 10:18 AM
I've been playing with a Volkl DNX8 lately, strung with Klip Lightning. My other racquets are Volkl Cat 8V's, which are much more flexible than the DNX 8.

I noticed during a match yesterday that the string job on the DNX 8 (Klip Lightning: gut mains and multi crosses) had gotten too loose, causing serious control problems. This was after only 3 weeks of play.

This struck me as odd, because my normal string job in the Cat8Vs is nat. gut mains with syn. gut crosses, and I usually get 4-6 weeks of play before they either lose playability or break.

However, the more I thought about it, the more it seemed logical that the longevity difference was at least partially due to the stiffness variation between the raquets.

To wit: since the DNX 8 flexes less on impact than the Cat 8V, the string bed must absorb more energy (flex more). Add in the multiplier effect of a thousand or more impacts to the differential, and viola!, you have the strings in the DNX 8 loosing tension more rapidly than in the Cat 8V.

Or, at least, that's my theory. Anyone else have experiences or research or thoughts that support or contradict my supposition?