PDA

View Full Version : i never break stings, should i change my gauge?

jjk20
07-02-2006, 11:42 AM
i've never broken a string in my life, so i was wondering if going to a thinner gauge would do anything for me? basically, is it even worth switching?

i'm using a 16 gauge

type of strings.....seriously, i can't remember. i ordered it from TW and had them string it.....different mains and crosses. i think the crosses are luxilon big banger, and the mains are a prince synthetic gut. of course, the crosses might be the prince and the mains the luxilon. o yeah, my racquet is a babolat apd and i string it on the lower end. but don't remember the exact tension :confused:

kchau
07-02-2006, 11:45 AM
you'll get more power and spin from a thinner gauge.

im surprised you havent broken strings yet. how long has it been strung?

it might be tiem to restring anyways since alot of tension is lost.

jjk20
07-02-2006, 11:51 AM
everyone is surprised i haven't broken a string with the way i hit the ball, especially on forehands. i got the racquet last october. is it time to cut them?

i should add that i am happy with the way the racquet is playing as of right now.

also, lost tension would mean? less control? i've read that lower tension means more power, so would lost tension mean the same?

TheRed
07-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Couple of questions. If you like the strings, why go thinner? If you're not a string breaker, why are you playing w/ luxilon? For someone who doesn't break strings, you'd probably get more feel, more power, more comfort and similar durability if you went to something even like prince syn gut, and you'd pay a lot less.

andyroddick's mojo
07-02-2006, 11:57 AM
thinner strings, usually result in more playability and spin, but less durability. I would suggest trying out a 17 g, which is just one step thinner, and see if you like it or not. If you do like it, and still do not break strings, try 18 g. like luxilon big banger ace or timo 18. If you do start to break those strings, and don't like them, then go back to your normal one.

jjk20
07-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Couple of questions. If you like the strings, why go thinner? If you're not a string breaker, why are you playing w/ luxilon? For someone who doesn't break strings, you'd probably get more feel, more power, more comfort and similar durability if you went to something even like prince syn gut, and you'd pay a lot less.

go thinner for more playability and spin. yes i like how it is now, but there's room for improvement. if i don't like the change, i can always go back.

i tried luxilon because i heard of the popularity of it, and i was willing to pay a little extra. so you're saying that luxilon is mostly for string breakers, and that it won't benefit me?

and i do have prince syn gut as the mains or crosses (can't remember, and don't have racquet with me), and luxilon as the other because i read that having different mains and crosses can be beneficial too.

emcee
07-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah Luxilon is mostly for string breakers, especially the Big Banger Original, but some players prefer ALU-Power to any other less durable strings.

jjk20
07-02-2006, 04:28 PM
so would you recommend a switch from luxilon?

MTChong
07-02-2006, 04:47 PM
I would because it's pretty stiff and you don't break strings so it doesn't seem you would benefit from the added durability either. I would recommend a multifilament such as Tecnifibre X-One Biphase or Klip Excellerator in 16g.