PDA

View Full Version : 18 x 20 pattern

str33t
07-02-2006, 01:30 PM
what would be a good hybrid stringing option for my lm radical with an 18x20 string pattern. i want spin, arm friendlyness, and power. :confused: i was thinking of a poly/synthetic hybrid.

snoflewis
07-02-2006, 08:17 PM
what would be a good hybrid stringing option for my lm radical with an 18x20 string pattern. i want spin, arm friendlyness, and power. :confused: i was thinking of a poly/synthetic hybrid.

well...the only thing a poly/syn gut hybrid would give is spin. anytime you add poly, it will become more harsh and less powerful. i would try a stiffer synthetic for mains and a soft string at the crosses like gut or a multi. for something cheaper, i'd try PSGD mains and sensation crosses

str33t
07-02-2006, 08:49 PM
i was thinking of using a poly as a main and psgd os a cross. would that be too stiff?

TheRed
07-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Again, why do you want to use a poly? Are you a big string breaker, even on a dense string pattern? Otherwise, snoflewis's suggestion was good for simply go to a soft thin monofilament. TNT pro plus. It just seems like the default strings to use are poly. People should stay away from poly's unless they're string breakers.

Court_Jester
07-02-2006, 08:57 PM
i was thinking of using a poly as a main and psgd os a cross. would that be too stiff?
I wouldn't call this "arm-friendly", that's for sure.

snoflewis
07-02-2006, 08:58 PM

well...the only thing a poly/syn gut hybrid would give is spin. anytime you add poly, it will become more harsh and less powerful. i would try a stiffer synthetic for mains and a soft string at the crosses like gut or a multi. for something cheaper, i'd try PSGD mains and sensation crosses

does that answer your question?

str33t
07-02-2006, 10:48 PM
ooo ok. so i should use psgd mains and a soft monofilament for the crosses ?

ambro
07-03-2006, 12:14 PM
It just seems like the default strings to use are poly. People should stay away from poly's unless they're string breakers.
I don't agree with that at all. I've been trying to switch to a softer string from my Prince Polygut/Lightning hybrid (which is surprisingly soft for a poly), to save my arm for the long run. I don't have any arm problems yet, but I know they're coming if I keep using polys in my dense PC600 pattern. I've tried multis at extrememly high tensions (65 - normally have my poly hybrid at 54) and I still have too much power on my shots and they sail long. I've tried multis at high tensions with poly crosses, same thing. No solid core syn gut feels right to me, except Lightning XX, but that has major durability problems.

I play my best with poly strings, that's why I use them, not for durability reasons.

snoflewis
07-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't agree with that at all. I've been trying to switch to a softer string from my Prince Polygut/Lightning hybrid (which is surprisingly soft for a poly), to save my arm for the long run. I don't have any arm problems yet, but I know they're coming if I keep using polys in my dense PC600 pattern. I've tried multis at extrememly high tensions (65 - normally have my poly hybrid at 54) and I still have too much power on my shots and they sail long. I've tried multis at high tensions with poly crosses, same thing. No solid core syn gut feels right to me, except Lightning XX, but that has major durability problems.

I play my best with poly strings, that's why I use them, not for durability reasons.

well...are you sure you don't want to get your technique checked? because the way i see it w/ strings is that you should be able to play w/ any string and still keep the ball in.

ANYHOW, as for str33t, that's just the setup i recommend.....

ambro
07-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Well I mean I *can* keep it in with the multis, but not as consistently. The strings are just too lively for me. I like to swing away with polys, but have to hold back a bit when using softer strings, and I don't like that.

So I guess I can do it, but I would rather use polys and play better with them.

BTW - I agree that you should not SWITCH TO a poly if you aren't a string breaker, because they're tough to move away from. I switched to ALU when I was breaking strings twice a week before I got my own stringer, and now I can't switch back to a non-poly. So if you are not currently using polys, and don't break strings a lot, then don't even think about switching to a poly.

str33t
07-04-2006, 07:52 AM
well, my prestige that i ordered from e*ay just came in and its strung with babolat excel premium mains and pro hurricane crosses. im going out to play today so i'll tell you how it goes. but just from bouncing a tennis ball in the house with it, it feels very bouncy, even though it is strung at 62 pounds, as stated by the seller.

ace of spades
07-04-2006, 08:34 AM
I wasant that big of a string breaker when I used synthetics (maybe once every 2 weeks) but I switched to polys. I like the control that I get, but especially the spin. I string cyberflash 17 at mid to high 50's in my lm prestige (an 18X20 string pattern) and I have had exellent results. It gives me a lot of control and more spin and it is pretty decent on the arm.
I think it is perfectly fine for anybody (except people who are looking for extra power and need something arm friendly) to use polys.