PDA

View Full Version : Why does Federer change tensions and not Hewitt?

TennisProPaul
07-02-2006, 01:31 PM
From the below set ups, both Hewitt and Federer use Gut main, and alu cross. Most of the other pros use the opposite with gut as the cross.

Why does Federer lowerer the tension for the cross and hewitt keep the same tension for mains and crosses?

Lleyton Hewitt Yonex RDX-0010 90 Babolat/Luxilon VS Team/Big Banger Alu Power 16L 23

Roger Federer Wilson nSix-One Tour 90 Wilson/Luxilon Wilson Natural/Big Banger Alu Power Rough 16L 21.5/20

Steve Huff
07-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Don't know the answer, but it's funny because Yonex recommends dropping the tension in the crosses anyway (not Wilson)

HyperHorse
07-02-2006, 02:58 PM
you sure u got those string tensions right?
those are very low.........

th41291
07-02-2006, 04:14 PM
that's what i'm thinking...44 lbs. for federer?

TennisProPaul
07-02-2006, 04:16 PM
that's what i'm thinking...44 lbs. for federer?

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200604/200604ausopen.html

Matthew
07-02-2006, 04:24 PM
It looks like most Americans (men and women) string tighter. Coincidence?

Ripper
07-03-2006, 11:07 AM
I string with poly at the crosses and syn gut at the mains, at equal tensions, because polys' initial tension loss is much higher than syn gut's (and much, MUCH, higher than nat gut's). So, the crosses end up at a lower tension anyways. Maybe Hewitt has reached the same conclusion as I have :)

TennisProPaul
07-03-2006, 02:32 PM
I string with poly at the crosses and syn gut at the mains, at equal tensions, because polys' initial tension loss is much higher than syn gut's (and much, MUCH, higher than nat gut's). So, the crosses end up at a lower tension anyways. Maybe Hewitt has reached the same conclusion as I have :)

yeah i was thinking that.

thanks pro ripper

GasquetGOAT
01-02-2009, 07:38 AM

That makes sense.

Any other theories?

jim e
01-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Horse
I would assume that those #'s are in kgs.So just convert to lbs. and I'm sure it will sound better for you. 21.5kgs.=47.4lbs , 20kgs. =44.09lbs.

sonicboi21
01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
im pretty sure fed puts alu power in his mains.

Matty G
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
im pretty sure fed puts alu power in his mains.

Nope crosses

Matty G
01-02-2009, 10:03 AM

Remember these guys play with a new set of strings every 20-40 mins so they dont need to worry about tension loss.

ag200boy
01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
to the OP:

it all comes down to what they like to play with, lux is a MUCH stiffer string then gut, so he decides that he likes it better with lower tension on the stiffer string so the stiffness of the mains and crosses are more similar, while hewitt obviously likes the control offered by having a stiffer string in the crosses

PurePrestige
01-02-2009, 03:09 PM
It's a comfort issue mainly, some people drop the tension of their crosses to get a bit more of a pocketing feel. Some string higher in the crosses (Baghdatis, Lee, Acasuso) than the mains to get a little more of a firm feeling from the string bed.

This is just another thing you can do with a frame to adjust its playability, if you find that you like a given tension on your frame but don't want to string tighter/looser because you don't want to make a major change to power or spin that you get with said tension you can explore these options to tweak the feel of a frame ever so slightly.

Also it seems mainly player that hit alot of spin lower the crosses, for that bit of extra dwell I suppose. I believe the trend was started by clay court players in Europe and South America...so maybe the spin players is a coincidence. It seems Americans for the most part all use the same tension for mains and crosses hybrid or not.

As for the OP, I assume in the case of Hewitt he doesn't change tensions because he likes a firmer feeling. Alu Power has a firmer feel than Alu Power Rough to begin with. Personally I don't know why they are both called Alu Power because there are certainly differences beyond the texture. Alu Rough has a softer more pockety feel than alu power to begin with.

kashgotmoney
01-02-2009, 10:51 PM
because hewitt hits more flat im guessing and you have to haveyour perfect tension to hit flat, plus, feds better

baseline08thrasher
01-02-2009, 10:56 PM
because hewitt hits more flat im guessing and you have to haveyour perfect tension to hit flat, plus, feds better

Nevermind.......