PDA

View Full Version : If Nadal wins Wimbledon, he will be the GOAT?

VolklVenom
07-02-2006, 03:06 PM
what do others think?

sureshs
07-02-2006, 03:10 PM
No......................

malakas
07-02-2006, 03:11 PM
No.Of course not.

Lleyton Hewitt
07-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Whats a goat

Buuurnz
07-02-2006, 03:14 PM
greatest of all time.....
everytime the same question..haha

oscar_2424
07-02-2006, 03:18 PM
No, he wont be the goat, he has along way to go, but he is on the right track

Lleyton Hewitt
07-02-2006, 03:21 PM
doubt he would get into the final of wimbledon or even US Open. He cant get past me on grass....on hardcourt Blake is his nightmare along with other big hitters.

emcee
07-02-2006, 03:25 PM
If he somehow pulls it off he's definitely on the right track. Already a Hall of Famer then.

Now if he wins the French and Wimby back to back 6 years in a row, then I will think he is the GOAT and not Borg.

jjk20
07-02-2006, 04:20 PM
i think borg only did that 3 times

Count Grishnackh
07-02-2006, 04:20 PM
I think the question is not to be taken seriously like those 'should Joe Player retire?" questions. If he won Wimby which is a long way away still, he'd only have 3 slams and still have not made past the QF of the other 2 slams. The only way he can be the greatest is if he won all 4 slams in his career and beat Federer in at least 3 of those finals and had around 10 slams. That's the only way. If he beats Fed in the French, Wimby and US Open finals in his career and wins an Aussie title against say someone like Blake or Nalbandian, then you have an argument. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's got a loooong way to go before I can realistically entertain the thought. I'll settle for now with him beating Fed on a regular basis, I get more satisfaction from that. =)

Simon Cowell
07-02-2006, 04:29 PM
No he will not be the "GOAT" but he'll certainly confirm his position as the best player in the world right now.

VamosRafa
07-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Of course, he wouldn't be the GOAT. That can't be determined until a player's career is over, or nearly over. And Rafa has only been on Tour a few years and has many more years to go (hopefully).

But I'll agree he'd be on the right track. He's already pretty much a lock for the Hall of Fame based on what he's accomplished early in his career.

I don't see him winning Wimbledon yet, though, but it's very possible at some point. And I was skeptical, along with everyone else until recently.

Toni was on the radio yesterday, and said that Rafa has been working hard on his serve since Marseille -- to take more risks on his first serve rather than spin it in. But he said that isn't the biggest reason for his improvement here. He said, "Above all there has been a big change in Rafa's attitude and mentality on grass compared with last year. That's the most important."

superman1
07-02-2006, 04:36 PM
He sure as hell wouldn't be GOAT based on results over 2 years. But if he won Wimbledon by beating Federer and it was a convincing win and Federer did not have any match points and was not nursing an injury, then you could then make a reasonable claim that he is probably the best player in the world. But he'd have to back it up with great results on hard courts and indoors.

tarheels2323
07-02-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm getting kind of sick of these GOAT threads even though I've only been here for a little more than a month (or something like that). The few considered "great" are each deserving of the title in their own respect. McEnroe can arguably be considered a GOAT with more titles than any other man to play the game (77 singles, 78 doubles). Sampras could be a GOAT with more Slam titles than any other player in history (14). Borg could be the GOAT, having won an unprecedented 5 Wimbledons in a row. These are just a few of the great men to play the game. Federer undoubtably has the potential to be greater than all these men but is as of now a question mark (although it's starting to look like a period with every passing day). GOAT is largely as of now determined by one's opinion and more than one man can fit the bill. I know this will not quash future threads on this topic, but one can hope.

MasterTS
07-02-2006, 04:44 PM
But I'll agree he'd be on the right track. He's already pretty much a lock for the Hall of Fame based on what he's accomplished early in his career.

HAHHAHAHAHAH he's right on track my ***.. nice one susan, real bias and nice one.

florida88
07-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Nadal will probably end up in the finals this year if he gets pass Hewitt. But the way Federer played his first few matches was just unbelievable for me. Wimbledon is the only one I watched this year.

It is so hard to say who is G.O.A.T. The players back then compared to now is so different. Technology, balls, and maybe linesman. Its better to judge by generation.

VamosRafa
07-02-2006, 04:49 PM
He sure as hell wouldn't be GOAT based on results over 2 years. But if he won Wimbledon by beating Federer and it was a convincing win and Federer did not have any match points and was not nursing an injury, then you could then make a reasonable claim that he is probably the best player in the world. But he'd have to back it up with great results on hard courts and indoors.

*lol* If he won RG and Wimbly back-to-back -- something that hasn't been done since 1980 -- who the heck would care about excuses. I don't see it happening, but if it did, I think everyone would have to admit that this guy is a real threat to anyone anywhere. He already has had good hardcourt and indoor hard results, not to mention good results against Federer. And if you add that to the confidence he would be feeling by winning Wimbledon, well, hard to argue with that recipe for future success. . . .

I don't think he has to get to the final, though, to really boost his confidence. I think he's going to take this experience and move it to hardcourts, where he's more comfortable overall.

Ronaldo
07-02-2006, 04:54 PM
If Nadal wins Wimbledon, he should RETIRE
Btw, no more FAT jokes

35ft6
07-02-2006, 04:56 PM
If he wins Wimbledon, my respect for him will jump 200%. That would really be impressive.

malakas
07-02-2006, 04:58 PM
If Nadal wins Wimbledon, he should RETIRE
Btw, no more FAT jokes

LOL!!:mrgreen:
Don't forget to pack up all your things before you leave Germany!:p

;)

dandy2fast
07-02-2006, 05:07 PM
He won't win Wimbledon. NEVER!

Ronaldo
07-02-2006, 05:18 PM
LOL!!:mrgreen:
Don't forget to pack up all your things before you leave Germany!:p

;)

After this WC
There's a tear in my beer
'cause i'm cryin' for you,
Dear you are on my lonely mind.
Into these last nine beers
I have shed a million tears.
You are on my lonely mind
I'm gonna keep on sittin' here
Until i'm petriified.
And then maybe these tears
Will leave my eyes.
'cause i'm crying' for you, dear
You are on my lonely mind.

malakas
07-02-2006, 05:25 PM
After this WC
'cause i'm cryin' for you,
Dear you are on my lonely mind.
Into these last nine beers
I have shed a million tears.
You are on my lonely mind
I'm gonna keep on sittin' here
Until i'm petriified.
And then maybe these tears
Will leave my eyes.
'cause i'm crying' for you, dear
You are on my lonely mind.

LOL!
Nine beers have a lot calories you know!!:mrgreen:

:p

Ronaldo
07-02-2006, 05:38 PM
LOL!
Nine beers have a lot calories you know!!:mrgreen:

:p

U calling the GOAT FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9 beers are just a start

malakas
07-02-2006, 05:42 PM
U calling the GOAT FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9 beers are just a start

Hehehe..yeah..a good start..for the GOAT to become a COW!!!:mrgreen:

Moose Malloy
07-02-2006, 06:10 PM
I don't think he will win W this year, but if he does(or even makes the final) his stature will go up a notch.

Consider this-since Borg in '80, no FO Champ has gone on to win W(which we all know) But did you know that since Borg in 1981, only 2 men that won the French have gone on to even reach the W final? Lendl in '86/'87 & Agassi in '99. And those guys are also the only FO champs to even reach the semis at W in that span!

skip1969
07-02-2006, 06:12 PM
another proud nominee for silliest thread of the fortnight. congratulations.

malakas
07-02-2006, 06:21 PM
another proud nominee for silliest thread of the fortnight. congratulations.

lol

I nominate you for silliest thread of the fortnight..nominator!!!:mrgreen:
You fully deserve it!!:p

Ronaldo
07-02-2006, 06:37 PM
lol

Silly is as silly posts, back to my 12 oz curls, must bulk-up for next season.

malakas
07-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah..bulk up!Continue with the ..beer training!;)

BabolatFan
07-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Of course, he wouldn't be the GOAT. That can't be determined until a player's career is over, or nearly over. And Rafa has only been on Tour a few years and has many more years to go (hopefully).

I don't see him winning Wimbledon yet, though, but it's very possible at some point. And I was skeptical, along with everyone else until recently.

Toni was on the radio yesterday, and said that Rafa has been working hard on his serve since Marseille -- to take more risks on his first serve rather than spin it in. But he said that isn't the biggest reason for his improvement here. He said, "Above all there has been a big change in Rafa's attitude and mentality on grass compared with last year. That's the most important."

I agree with you again. What an honest and knowledgeable fan that you are. Like I said in another thread, I like his burning desire and tenacity on the grass this year although I'm not a nadal fanatic. But I can say that he's improved alot on grass with his serve and court positioning. He's on the right track. I'd like to see him against Andy Murray or Tursonov or Hewitt at the wimby.

skip1969
07-02-2006, 07:32 PM
lol

i know, i know . . . i'm being silly nominating silly threads. but i just can't seem to help myself. anyway, people like contests and awards and stuff. and some of the threads on this board should get SOME kind of mention (in my humble opinion). :D

hey, you know what they say . . . winning isn't the most important thing. it's an honor just to be nominated.

malakas
07-02-2006, 07:37 PM
i know, i know . . . i'm being silly nominating silly threads. but i just can't seem to help myself. anyway, people like contests and awards and stuff. and some of the threads on this board should get SOME kind of mention (in my humble opinion). :D

hey, you know what they say . . . winning isn't the most important thing. it's an honor just to be nominated.

lol.No!Not silly at all!;)
I rephrase:I nominate you..for official nominator of silliest threads of the fortnight!!!;)

malakas
07-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Sorry,double post.

VolklVenom
07-02-2006, 08:01 PM
ok , maybe what i meant was GOAT to be.
Beating the great Fed on clay and grass, backto back. WOW! thats goat potential.

ACE of Hearts
07-02-2006, 08:05 PM
He wil win wimbledon because the grass courts are being slowed down.I have kept on harping since i seen some of the matches.If they are slow now, can only imagine next year.:mad:

Steve Dykstra
07-03-2006, 06:31 AM
I think the thread starter is a troll. Nadal would have only 3 Grand Slams to his name. It could not even be argued that he is top 10 of the Open Era even if he won Wimbledon this year.

MaxT
07-03-2006, 06:37 AM
Totally premature to even think this way.