PDA

View Full Version : Best String or Hybrid Under 5 Bucks !!!

TennisProPaul
07-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Please post your best under 5 bucks hybrid or full string.

Technifiber Polyspin 16 main : $4.00 a set great lasting poly
Gosen OG-Sheep Micro 18g cross: $3.50 with sharp crisp feel and bite

This combo comes to a whopping $3.75 bucks!!!!

Im not sure you can get a better mix of lasting poly and feel with the cheap set up.

Give it a try you frugal dudes and dolls.

ps: the sheep micro 18g is the easiest cross to string with so this combo is very stringer friendly.

netman
07-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Gosen Sheep Micro. Any guage.

-k-

thetenniskid07
07-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Cyber flash and gosen og sheep.

tennis_nerd22
07-02-2006, 04:20 PM
any cheap poly main with gosen OGSM crosses :D

Richie Rich
07-02-2006, 05:10 PM
unique big hitter will play better than tecnifibre polyspin.

TennisProPaul
07-02-2006, 05:54 PM
unique big hitter will play better than tecnifibre polyspin.

BUT IT COSTS OVER 2 BUCKS MORE.

I LOST MY JOB AND CANT AFFORD THAT :)

snoflewis
07-02-2006, 07:18 PM
i wouldnt mind trying OG micro mains w/ sensation crosses.

Richie Rich
07-03-2006, 03:18 AM
BUT IT COSTS OVER 2 BUCKS MORE.

I LOST MY JOB AND CANT AFFORD THAT :)

i'm sure you can afford 1 set (2 string jobs) to try it? you might find it holds tension better resulting in less string jobs which offsets the higher up front cost.

SteveI
07-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Please post your best under 5 bucks hybrid or full string.

Technifiber Polyspin 16 main : $4.00 a set great lasting poly
Gosen OG-Sheep Micro 18g cross: $3.50 with sharp crisp feel and bite

This combo comes to a whopping $3.75 bucks!!!!

Im not sure you can get a better mix of lasting poly and feel with the cheap set up.

Give it a try you frugal dudes and dolls.

ps: the sheep micro 18g is the easiest cross to string with so this combo is very stringer friendly.

Hi,

Gosen Polylon Ice 17 (Mains) and Forten Sweet 16 (Crosses). Nice set-up and dirt cheap.

Steve

michaellashan
07-03-2006, 06:34 AM
Mains: Gosen Polylon Ice 17
Crosses: Gosen OG Micro 17

Awesome!

tonysk83
07-03-2006, 08:37 AM
michaellashan, that is the same hybrid I am using on one of my racquets right now, too bad I haven't got to try it, picked it up on Saturday and got food posioning Saturday night:(

Right now I have very cheap hybrid on my racquets:

Gosen OG Micro 17 crosses-bought a reel for 30 so a half set comes out to only 90 cents.

I also have Technifibre Spinfire 17 on one which was 3 bucks for a half set.

netman
07-03-2006, 11:12 AM
I you need a great string cheap, buy the Gosen Sheep Micro 17 reel for $30 bucks from TW. Even after shipping, a string job works out to about $1.80. IMHO its the best playing low end syn gut on the market. Outperforms most syn guts regardless of price.

A 100% SM 17 job is a joy to use and will actually last a decent amount of time. I never break mine. No gradual drop off in preformance, just consistent play until one day you know they are gone. Cut it out and restring. It is very easy to string as well.

-k-

TennsDog
07-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Iso-Speed Control mains crossed with Prince Tournament Nylong. I don't think it would quite qualify (around $11 for both packs = $5.50/stringjob), but I feel it is such a superior setup that it still needs to be considered. Amazing feel and touch with customizable power and control.

tonysk83
07-03-2006, 05:29 PM
I you need a great string cheap, buy the Gosen Sheep Micro 17 reel for $30 bucks from TW. Even after shipping, a string job works out to about $1.80. IMHO its the best playing low end syn gut on the market. Outperforms most syn guts regardless of price.

A 100% SM 17 job is a joy to use and will actually last a decent amount of time. I never break mine. No gradual drop off in preformance, just consistent play until one day you know they are gone. Cut it out and restring. It is very easy to string as well.

-k-

Oh how I agree. I don't break strings much so I never need to worry about durability and I love Gosen OG Micro 17. I bought the 30 dollar reel as well. Hard to beat that string+10 dollar my stringer charges.

mistapooh
07-03-2006, 09:26 PM
I've been using Polygut mains and Og sheep for a year, and I can't really complain. Those that use polylon might want to try polygut also. I do agree that Og sheep is absolutely spectacular for it's price. On the flipside, I'm running out on my reels, so I might try out some set up you guys suggested =).

scotus
07-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I've been using Polygut mains and Og sheep for a year, and I can't really complain. Those that use polylon might want to try polygut also. I do agree that Og sheep is absolutely spectacular for it's price. On the flipside, I'm running out on my reels, so I might try out some set up you guys suggested =).

I like Polylon much better than Polygut. Polygut "appears" soft but to me is harsher than Polylon.

But for polys under $5, it's hard to beat Ashaway Monogut. Try the 17 gauge. Out of the three polys mentioned, Monogut has the best feel, is easiest on the arm, and gets you the best spin and can be tensioned lower than the others.

ears
07-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Mains:Monogut 17
Crosses: OG Sheep 17

Very Sweet. Very Cheap.

diredesire
07-04-2006, 09:43 PM
IMO:

Topspin Poly Polar 17g, Prince Syn gut duraflex 17g optic yellow (i prefer it over others)

ryohazuki222
07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
So I just bought a reel of Cyber Flash 17g for $55 after shipping. And the reel of gosen sheep micro 17g was $35. Comes out to just under $2.60 per hybrid according to my calculator.

The thing is... I haven't actually used it yet. For those that have used cyber flash, what have you found to be a good cross?

spindoktur
07-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Gosen Polylon SP 17 on mains, Gosen Proform Tuff on crosses.
Just started using this setup on all my sticks, and plays way better than a full Polylon SP, a Signum Poly Plasma hybrid, or any other poly hybrid I've used. Big thanks to diredesire for introducing me to the Polylon SP.

ace of spades
07-28-2006, 07:24 PM
So I just bought a reel of Cyber Flash 17g for $55 after shipping. And the reel of gosen sheep micro 17g was $35. Comes out to just under $2.60 per hybrid according to my calculator.

The thing is... I haven't actually used it yet. For those that have used cyber flash, what have you found to be a good cross?
I did the exact same thing as you and have had wonderful results with it stringing in the mid 50's for the mains and higher 50's in the crosses.

ryohazuki222
07-28-2006, 07:37 PM
@ace of spades... glad to hear positive feedback on this hybrid! just curious.. when you say mid 50's and higher 50's... do you not have a set tension you string at? im curious what it is if you do. ive never strung my racket below 58.. even when using my kevlar hybrid.. and now with the full gosen, i string at 59 with awesome results... so im thinking of keeping the 59 for the crosses. so ya.. just wondering if there is a particular tension you string the mains at (as im not too familiar with poly's at all)