PDA

View Full Version : gasquet and safin has the same issue

ken1d
07-02-2006, 08:02 PM
After beating sampras at the 2000 US open final safin couldn't liveup to people expaction as to becoming the next pete sampras. Many believes the couse of this is that safin tried to compare his level of playing tennis to that match he played against sampras. Playing that level consistantly is pretty much impossible for a man's career no matter how much talent he posses.

Now, remamber the amazing match gasquet played against fed at monticarlo? Do you guys think that he too faces the same issue as to compareing that match against every big matches he plays? because i didn't like his body language towards the second set of this year's wimbledon's FRM. It looked as if he sort of gave up. what do you guys think?

ShcMad
07-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Let's HOPE that Gasquet matures and lives up to the expectations in the coming years. He's 19 or 20 now, so let's give Richard a couple more years to break through. Both Safin and Gasquet drip with talent, and have beautiful game styles, not to mention their backhands are just things of beauty.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
07-02-2006, 08:44 PM
After beating sampras at the 2000 US open final safin couldn't liveup to people expaction as to becoming the next pete sampras. Many believes the couse of this is that safin tried to compare his level of playing tennis to that match he played against sampras. Playing that level consistantly is pretty much impossible for a man's career no matter how much talent he posses.

Now, remamber the amazing match gasquet played against fed at monticarlo? Do you guys think that he too faces the same issue as to compareing that match against every big matches he plays? because i didn't like his body language towards the second set of this year's wimbledon's FRM. It looked as if he sort of gave up. what do you guys think?

Wilander said something about Safin and the way he played tennis at the USO final against Sampras. He said that Safin was actually lucky to beat Sampras, because he tried to kill the ball and go for winners, and it worked. He said that finals are not usually played this way, and Safin tries to replicate and compare every one of his games to the USO final, and as all of us know, is almost impossible...people have there good days, and there great days, which are hard to duplicate.

As for Gasquet, i just think he had a good day at monte carlo...I felt as if it was one of the best matches he had ever played in his entire tennis career....then again, hes still young so its possible for him to duplicate his level of tennis he played at the Monte Carlo.

ShcMad
07-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Wilander said something about Safin and the way he played tennis at the USO final against Sampras. He said that Safin was actually lucky to beat Sampras, because he tried to kill the ball and go for winners, and it worked. He said that finals are not usually played this way, and Safin tries to replicate and compare every one of his games to the USO final, and as all of us know, is almost impossible...people have there good days, and there great days, which are hard to duplicate.

As for Gasquet, i just think he had a good day at monte carlo...I felt as if it was one of the best matches he had ever played in his entire tennis career....then again, hes still young so its possible for him to duplicate his level of tennis he played at the Monte Carlo.

I agree. In a sense, I think Safin and Gasquet are like artists, who strive for perfection. They can't and will not play "ugly" games in order to win matches. They try to hit clean winners all the time. In tennis, that's pretty hard to do in every single match. :(

emcee
07-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I guess you can look at it that way (calling them artists). But I think it's just that Safin...

-Doesn't love tennis as much as Federer, Nadal, et. al do
-Can't shake off a few bad points/get his head back in.

But I guess you could call him an artist. Interesting way of thinking about it.

ShcMad
07-02-2006, 09:02 PM
I guess you can look at it that way (calling them artists). But I think it's just that Safin...

-Doesn't love tennis as much as Federer, Nadal, et. al do
-Can't shake off a few bad points/get his head back in.

But I guess you could call him an artist. Interesting way of thinking about it.

I actually stole the analogy from another TW user. ;)

I also think that Safin doesn't care too much about tennis, and his work ethic is not in par with Federer's (but I could be wrong). His mentality is also what works against him.

jman
07-02-2006, 09:08 PM
I don't know how Safin will go, even though i am a big fan of his. But as for Gasquet, i think waiting out a couple of years, we might see a breakthrough, maybe even a grandslam win. I recall Federer saying that the two have very similar games and have both followed similar paths.
Federer didn't win Wimbledon until he was 22 or 23. Let's hope Gasquet can follow in THE MAN'S footsteps. It would be exciting to have Federer, Nadal, Safin and Gasquet in the top 5. All incredible talents.

!Tym
07-02-2006, 09:39 PM
I guess it's like when Edberg dismantled Courier in the US Open final despite playing an immense ammount of tennis leading up to that point including the longest match in US Open history with Chang in the semis.

It's like how often is that going to happen? You're going to play the proverbial "match of your life" after driving yourself to the brink of exhaustion to even get to that match?

These kind of matches safe to say you should just throw out the window, because they only happen once in a blue moon. You can't hold yourself up to a standard that doesn't exhist except in the twilight zone, a brief ripple in the continuum of space and time that you just happened to be in at the right place and right time.

dannyjjang
07-02-2006, 09:56 PM
never knew gasquet was that good..his the guy who lost to fed in 1st round riiight?

TENNIS_IS_FUN
07-02-2006, 09:59 PM
never knew gasquet was that good..his the guy who lost to fed in 1st round riiight?

haha, unfortunately, yes. You shouldn't really judge gasquet based on this result though...anybody who ever plays federer on grass in the next 2 years is gonna lose anyways right? Although he did lose to federer in the first round, you should watch there match at monte carle 05.

ShcMad
07-02-2006, 10:03 PM

Yep, he's the guy who lost to Fed 1st rd. I thought Gasquet was gonna give Fed a hard time like he did in Halle, but Fed was just playing out of this world, cranking forehands and backhands effortlessly.

Gasquet is a shot-maker, who looks for flashy ways to end points. That's why I enjoy watching this guy.

jman
07-02-2006, 10:03 PM
yeah, Gasquet did lose in the first round, but i think that was a really harsh draw. But that's how it goes. Although he lost in the first round, he does have some amazing results against quality players. He beat Fed at Monte Carlo last year, played some amazing 5 setters against Safin and Haas. Hasn't played too well against Nadal, but most encounters have been on clay. Anyway, this kid is a prodigy, whether he lives up to the expectations is only a matter of time. Hope he does.

AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL BACKHAND!!!