PDA

View Full Version : Back Surgery

spt
07-12-2004, 05:04 AM
I recently herniated a disk in my back and have a fragment pressing on a nerve. I am looking at having a discectomy in the coming weeks to remove the fragment. Have any of you had this surery - waht was the recovery like? How long before you were back on the court?

netman
07-12-2004, 12:14 PM
I have dealt with the same problem. When the disk herniated, the pain was so bad I lay screaming in my bed for a whole day and couldn't even walk for 2 weeks afterwards. Yet 3 years later I'm still playing tennis and have not had surgery.

I would advise you to do some thorough research, learn all the facts and possibly get a second or third opinion. You will find in your research that 90% of all herniated disks and fragments resolve themselves over the course of 12-24 months as the disks shrink. The outcomes from back surgery versus non-surgical treatment are typically the same about 24 months out. Up to 40% of back surgeries produce either no results or worse results. "Failed back surgery" syndrome is a large and growing problem. Once you have the surgery there is no going back. If you weaken or fuse the disk, you are simply transferring more stress above and below it. Surgeons love back surgery because they are usually private pay insurance and done on young, healthy patients, hence they are very profitable.

Try www.spineuniverse.com and www.spineuniversity.com. They are great sites with tons of info. Assuming there is no serious threat to nerve function (loss of bowel control or leg function), I would be very wary of any doctor who does not exhaust all conservative treatment plans before suggesting surgery. It can be very frustrating at times, but patience and habit changes seem to have the best results.

Good luck.