PDA

View Full Version : Do call me English!

MaxT
07-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Murry is not returning the love to the English public. "I was born a Scott, I am just really really unhappy when people call me English," and then his ill wish on the English football team.

Not being from Europe this both surprised and intrigued me. I knew of the issues with Ireland, but Scotland too? Obvious Murry was not kidding. He knew how much endorsement dollar he was losing by ticking off the majority, at the beginning of a budding career.

chess9
07-03-2006, 07:01 AM
Murry is not returning the love to the English public. "I was born a Scott, I am just really really unhappy when people call me English," and then his ill wish on the English football team.

Not being from Europe this both surprised and intrigued me. I knew of the issues with Ireland, but Scotland too? Obvious Murry was not kidding. He knew how much endorsement dollar he was losing by ticking off the majority, at the beginning of a budding career.

Most of the folks in Scotland did not support England's World Cup team. It's a bit like someone from Braves terrritory not supporting the Red Sox. There's a bit of "up yer arse" there too. :) Regardless, Murray is very popular in England.

Of course, now that he is imploding while playing Bags, he might be loved as much as Henman was. :)

-Robert

BaseLineBash
07-03-2006, 07:17 AM
Just because your country was conquered by England doesn't mean you think of yourself as a Brit. I sure wouldn't.

chess9
07-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Just because your country was conquered by England doesn't mean you think of yourself as a Brit. I sure wouldn't.

Since each Scot gets about 1700 English Pounds more per year back from the Labour government than the average Englishman, I suspect the losers are winning. :)

-Robert

Ripper
07-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Murray is British, not English.

BaseLineBash
07-03-2006, 07:29 AM
Murray is British, not English.
No...He's Scottish with GB rule.

chess9
07-03-2006, 07:36 AM
No...He's Scottish with GB rule.

Bwuahahahahaha! Stop it already, I'm rollin' on the floor with this. :)

I'm staying in England with a Scot married to an English lady. He's also a bloody TORY! He'd probably get lynched if he went back to Glasgow. :)

-Robert

jaykay
07-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Can somebody explain this to me ---

Murray's country is listed as 'Great Britain'.
(Of course, he prefers to call himself a 'Scot')

The World Cup Team was from 'England'.

And then there is the 'United Kingdom'.

GBR, UK, England are used interchangeably. What is which?

I don't know the answer and I'm genuinely curious (am not trying to be sarcastic here).

punch
07-03-2006, 07:50 AM
no...England is used just for the English, it's almost like a territory, the lower 3/4 of the English/Scottish Isle is English. GBR is Scotland and England combined and UK is too. Maybe it (GBR) includes Northern Ireland too, not Ireland though I don't think.

So....

England = just the English portion of that Isle

GBR and UK is England, Scotland and I THINK Northern Ireland combined, which is why they would call Murray a Brit.

Fe˝a14
07-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Yes Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain.

llama
07-03-2006, 08:04 AM
no...England is used just for the English, it's almost like a territory, the lower 3/4 of the English/Scottish Isle is English. GBR is Scotland and England combined and UK is too. Maybe it (GBR) includes Northern Ireland too, not Ireland though I don't think.

So....

England = just the English portion of that Isle

GBR and UK is England, Scotland and I THINK Northern Ireland combined, which is why they would call Murray a Brit.

The United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. And each country has it's own distinct identity. As a Canadian, I fully understand Murray's insistence on being identified as Scottish. Both Canada and Scotland have to live overshadowed by other countries, this tends to make us nationalistic. It is inborn in us to protect our identity, and probably not understood by either England or the US.

Simon Cowell
07-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Both Canada and Scotland have to live overshadowed by other countries, this tends to make us nationalistic. It is inborn in us to protect our identity, and probably not understood by either England or the US.

That's pretty interesting. I've always felt that comparison was accurate as well ( U.S.=England, Canada = Scotland). But, I know a lot of Glasgow Rangers fans who support the English national team. The thing I don't understand is there is a great tendency for Canadians to bash Americans yet Canada gets all of its culture from the U.S. I also felt there was a massive inferiority complex from the people when I visited Toronto.

Ripper
07-03-2006, 08:42 AM

It's simple, England and Scotland are both part of Great Britain, but Murray is from Scotland, not England; that's all he's saying.

Grimjack
07-03-2006, 08:58 AM
The United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. And each country has it's own distinct identity. As a Canadian, I fully understand Murray's insistence on being identified as Scottish. Both Canada and Scotland have to live overshadowed by other countries, this tends to make us nationalistic. It is inborn in us to protect our identity, and probably not understood by either England or the US.

It's brutally unfair to the Scots to compare their relationship vis a vis England with Canada's to the US.

When the English decided they wanted Scotland's resources, landbase, etc., for their own exploitation, they were first told to go to hell, then were fought against bravely and patriotically for ages. The sons of Scotland shed their blood and gave their all so that they wouldn't be ridden over roughshod. Though England had much superior force, and the invasion was inevitable, the Scottish heritage and their history of pride and resistance in the face of overwhelming force has much to recommend it, and Scottish citizens should indeed still hold their heads high and defiant.

When the Americans decided they wanted Canada's resources, landbase, etc., American corporations issued a few checks, and Canada couldn't prostitute itself off fast enough. America conquered Canada without ever firing a shot, and Canada has been little more than America's warehouse for natural resource exploitation and political sock puppet for a century now. US interests plunder Canada raw, and Canadians sit idly and humbly by and watch as their forests, mineral stores, fossil fuels, and wildlife are stuffed into sacks and sent off for profit.

Scotland deserves a prouder analogy.

Hartzy
07-03-2006, 10:15 AM
This can be explained by ethnicity.

England generally has English people (even though if you've been to London you might not find a real one!) The English are a germanic people from the areas of Saxony in Northern Germany and Jutland, the main part of Denmark. When they arrived at Britain, they pushed the Britons (the Celtic peoples of the island) out of the area now known as England. The Britons that were pushed out and stayed on the island became the Welsh and the Scottish.

Due to the maintaining of pride, even though today it is Great Britain, joining Wales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, many things remain separate in sporting events.

pound cat
07-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Since each Scot gets about 1700 English Pounds more per year back from the Labour government than the average Englishman, I suspect the losers are winning. :)

-RobertBut they have to put up with thar bloody weather. I spent a summer in Dundee and didn't wear a tee shirt or shorts once. They deserve every penny of it.

BigboyDan
07-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Actually, Grimjack has it right...

llama
07-03-2006, 12:28 PM
It's brutally unfair to the Scots to compare their relationship vis a vis England with Canada's to the US.

When the Americans decided they wanted Canada's resources, landbase, etc., American corporations issued a few checks, and Canada couldn't prostitute itself off fast enough. America conquered Canada without ever firing a shot, and Canada has been little more than America's warehouse for natural resource exploitation and political sock puppet for a century now. US interests plunder Canada raw, and Canadians sit idly and humbly by and watch as their forests, mineral stores, fossil fuels, and wildlife are stuffed into sacks and sent off for profit.

How typically American. Why don't you study some history. America tried to invade Canada on three separate occasions and was defeated at every try. And you may smugly assume that we are your "warehouse", but would probably shocked to find out that Canada owns more American companies, than vice-versa. But, of course,that would never be known in the US. We have a saying up here "Let the *******s Freeze in the Dark" and it just might be closer than you think.

jaykay
07-03-2006, 12:33 PM

When the English decided they wanted Scotland's resources, landbase, etc., for their own exploitation, they were first told to go to hell, then were fought against bravely and patriotically for ages. The sons of Scotland shed their blood and gave their all so that they wouldn't be ridden over roughshod. Though England had much superior force, and the invasion was inevitable, the Scottish heritage and their history of pride and resistance in the face of overwhelming force has much to recommend it, and Scottish citizens should indeed still hold their heads high and defiant.

Whoa! That's real harsh, GrimJack.

Taram_Nifas
07-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm a little lost Politically (though oddly enough I think have a better grasp of it than most other Americans), I think the Isles are called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland which includes England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

On the whole issue, however if we are talking about ethnicity then I could understand. Like the Philippines, I was born in Cebu and I think all the people in Luzon are turds :mrgreen: and should leave us alone, I wouldn't want to be called Tagalog and get annoyed at people when they do.

It is normal for a Scotsman not to support the English World Cup Team, England and Scotland are probably rivals. Though I'm still confused as to how England, Scotland, Wales could still send their own World Cup Teams.. Sounds like Quebec sending their own Hockey Team to the Olympics...

jaykay
07-03-2006, 12:36 PM
I think the Isles are called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland which includes England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

Thanks. This helps. So, this is what the UK encompasses...

What is GBR then?

MHK
07-03-2006, 12:42 PM
It is normal for a Scotsman not to support the English World Cup Team, England and Scotland are probably rivals. Though I'm still confused as to how England, Scotland, Wales could still send their own World Cup Teams.. Sounds like Quebec sending their own Hockey Team to the Olympics...

Just to confuse matters more! - England, Scotland, and Wales have their own football, rugby, cricket teams, and commonwealth teams etc. also. However, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but in most sports other than football, e.g. rugby, Ireland has a united team which includes players from both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

On the issue of Murray, I don't think Murray minds being called British because he plays under the GB tag and has always supported people like Henman. However, it is when people call him English, as if it is interchangeable with GB, that it annoys him. He never can be English, Welsh or Northern Irish - either Scottish, British or indeed both!

And GBR stands for Great Britain - it is the island that includes Scotland, England and Wales alone - excludes Northern Ireland. So in Davis Cup, Ireland would have their own team also.

llama
07-03-2006, 12:47 PM

How typically American. Your arrogance and language is appalling - but why am I not surprised. Is it any wonder we would want to distance ourselves from you? Why don't you study some history. America tried to invade Canada on three separate occasions and was defeated at every try.

If it makes you feel so important to strut around with your insults, go ahead.

Simon Cowell
07-03-2006, 12:51 PM
How typically American. Your arrogance and language is appalling - but why am I not surprised. Is it any wonder we would want to distance ourselves from you? Why don't you study some history. America tried to invade Canada on three separate occasions and was defeated at every try.

90% of the Canadian population lives within 50 miles of the U.S. border. Enough said. You're trying to distance yourself from the U.S.? Doesn't seem like it to me. Try moving more towards the north pole. Canadians hate Americans because we don't acknowledge them or take them seriously. Enjoy the frozen parking lot. BTW, can you suggest me some fine Canadian literature? Oh wait, there is none! LOL.

llama
07-03-2006, 12:54 PM
90% of the Canadian population lives within 50 miles of the U.S. border. Enough said. You're trying to distance yourself from the U.S.? Doesn't seem like it to me. Try moving more towards the north pole. Canadians hate Americans because we don't acknowledge them or take them seriously. Enjoy the frozen parking lot. BTW, can you suggest me some fine Canadian literature? Oh wait, there is none! LOL.

And you wonder why you ring your hands and cry, "Why oh why does the World hate us?"

Mordechai Richler - but your probably to uneducated to know.

llama
07-03-2006, 12:58 PM

How do we distance ourselves?- easily. We have class.

Your insults just amply display exactly what you are. No need for me to reply.

Simon Cowell
07-03-2006, 12:59 PM

To uneducated to know huh? That's why your sentence has errors. It's supposed to be "but you're probably too uneducated to know" not "but your probably to uneducated to know"

^^Wow, must be that fine Canadian educational system. Please stop before you continue to make a fool of yourself.

RiosTheGenius
07-03-2006, 01:01 PM
not quite sure what Canadian literature has to do with what we're on about... but have you thought that perhaps the Canadian live closer to the border in their majority to escape the brutally cold weather of the north?.. maybe too much ethnocentric ego on your side?..I mean, pressuming canadians want to be close to the US?

Simon Cowell
07-03-2006, 01:06 PM
not quite sure what Canadian literature has to do with what we're on about... but have you thought that perhaps the Canadian live closer to the border in their majority to escape the brutally cold weather of the north?.. maybe too much ethnocentric ego on your side?..I mean, pressuming canadians want to be close to the US?

That's not what I'm assuming. llamas is the typical Canadian with an inferiority complex who hates everything American. It's probably due to the fact this his beloved sport hockey wouldn't survive a minute without American teams or money. Or also that a Canadian NHL team hasn't won the Stanley Cup since the early 90's. It also hurts more because hockey is not even acknowledged as a major sport here. It gets coverage on OLN. He is also emotionally unstable due to the fact there are no great Canadian tennis players competing for grand slams, unlike the country to the south of him. Canadians get their culture from us and everything else, so it's natural for him to have an identity crisis.

RiosTheGenius
07-03-2006, 01:17 PM
I just don't understand why you generalize so much "typical canadian"... I think you just make your country look bad with your comments, I'm sure the other americans in this board are very embarrassed of your comments right now.
I'm sorry but I think you have a bad attitude and if you're ever abroad I 'd recommend you leave that attitude of yours in the States cuz otherwise you might not be very welcome. .... but you're in the US so, why would you go anywhere else right, you have it all there where you are and the best culture, the best food, best literature, best everything, you even fart like vanilla, it rains bottled water, the grass is green, and the girls are pretty.

as for the Canadian guy.... just read my signature and do that bud.

llama
07-03-2006, 01:23 PM

First of all I do acknowledge my spelling error. I will put it down to reading the hate-filled posts and, though hating to admit it, feeling anger towards such unwarranted nastiness.

And on perusal of this thread I am at a loss to understand the hatred spewed towards us as a country and myself. In my original post I never said one insulting thing about the USA. I stated a fact. That we - as a country one-tenth the size of yours will be overlooked. That - acknowledging the fact that most of the USA could care less about Canada - you would not understand that. I certainly wasn't prepared for the vileness of the responses. I understand that you know nothing of our history or of how we became a country. I don't understand why you must be insulting.

Does this make you feel important? To bluster and brag and insult? Fine - if it makes you feel superior; if you feel that you must - at every conceivable moment - make sure that everyone knows how VASTLY superior you are, do so. You take nothing away from me or from us. You know nothing of our way of life, our government, our beliefs, our morals. I would wager a guess that your knowledge of our country comes from the rantings of people like Bill O'Reilley. What a fount of (mis)information he is. I pity you. How sad it must be to live in such isolation, never looking further than your own noses. Always believing that everything American - simply because it is American - must be so much better than anything anyone else would have to offer. You miss so much.

Do Canadians want to be so near the US? Most of us probably don't give you that much thought. You might be shocked to find out that we don't think of you all that much, just as you, as you have made vividly clear, don't think of us, except to laugh at, and insult us. It's been my experience that that is the usual practise of the insecure.

BaseLineBash
07-03-2006, 01:32 PM
While some are on the Canadian and U.S. heat, I just want to point out that The United States of a America is Greatest Country and we're just over 200 years old mind you. Our politics and leaders here should not reflect the people that live is this country, we are a VERY empathetic people, and as a whole we want best for everybody in the world. And another thing to remember, if anything goes down outside our borders, we've got your back, cause thats what we do. Happy early 4th.:D

malakas
07-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Ehm..don't you mean..sympathetic people?!?;)
Happy 4th July to everybody who celebrates it!!:D

BaseLineBash
07-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Ehm..don't you mean..sympathetic people?!?;)
Happy 4th July to everybody who celebrates it!!:D
No I mean empathetic,but we are sympathetic as well, "1 : the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it
2 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this"

malakas
07-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Ah..ok.Sorry,it has a slightly different meaning in my language.

9000tennis
07-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Didn't Murray wear a sweatband with a Scottish flag on it today?

And I agree with the people saying Scotland is a proud people, and many Scots have a difficult relationship with England. I went to Edinburgh earlier this year and almost everywhere I looked I saw something directly linked to the Scottish heritage. This including a funny t-shirt saying " I support 2 teams - Scotland and anyone who plays England". :D

arosen
07-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I can't help but notice the lack of tennis in this tennis thread. How did we go from Murray to Canada v.s. US? Speaking of Murray, I don't pretend to know how important it can be for Murray to insist on being a Scot. I've been to Perth, Glasgo, Dundee, and I loved the people there. However, I would rather he talked about what he is going to do about his fitness and why he is out of breath after every 10 point rally. Scottish or not, he looks unfit for a top tier tennis player.

RiosTheGenius
07-03-2006, 03:36 PM
First of all I do acknowledge my spelling error. I will put it down to reading the hate-filled posts and, though hating to admit it, feeling anger towards such unwarranted nastiness.

And on perusal of this thread I am at a loss to understand the hatred spewed towards us as a country and myself. In my original post I never said one insulting thing about the USA. I stated a fact. That we - as a country one-tenth the size of yours will be overlooked. That - acknowledging the fact that most of the USA could care less about Canada - you would not understand that. I certainly wasn't prepared for the vileness of the responses. I understand that you know nothing of our history or of how we became a country. I don't understand why you must be insulting.

Does this make you feel important? To bluster and brag and insult? Fine - if it makes you feel superior; if you feel that you must - at every conceivable moment - make sure that everyone knows how VASTLY superior you are, do so. You take nothing away from me or from us. You know nothing of our way of life, our government, our beliefs, our morals. I would wager a guess that your knowledge of our country comes from the rantings of people like Bill O'Reilley. What a fount of (mis)information he is. I pity you. How sad it must be to live in such isolation, never looking further than your own noses. Always believing that everything American - simply because it is American - must be so much better than anything anyone else would have to offer. You miss so much.

Do Canadians want to be so near the US? Most of us probably don't give you that much thought. You might be shocked to find out that we don't think of you all that much, just as you, as you have made vividly clear, don't think of us, except to laugh at, and insult us. It's been my experience that that is the usual practise of the insecure.
I pressume this wasn't for me right??????... though I have the feeling that your post might have been intended to be for Simon.

just be careful when you cuote people, and please edit that.

pound cat
07-03-2006, 04:17 PM
GRIMJACK POSTED

"When the Americans decided they wanted Canada's resources, landbase, etc., American corporations issued a few checks, and Canada couldn't prostitute itself off fast enough. America conquered Canada without ever firing a shot, and Canada has been little more than America's warehouse for natural resource exploitation and political sock puppet for a century now. US interests plunder Canada raw, and Canadians sit idly and humbly by and watch as their forests, mineral stores, fossil fuels, and wildlife are stuffed into sacks and sent off for profit."

You understand the Canadian resourses-for-profit sell off to the USA better than most Canadians do and seem to care more than most Canadians do. There are a select few of already rich Canadians making billions more dollars selling out the futures of their grandchildren...and everyone elses. Too bad far-sightedness wasn't part of the evolutionary process.

You should send what's in your post to the editor of the Globe & Mail, Canada's national newspaper or to the Ottawa Citizen. Canadians might listen to what an American is saying about us.

A country is best seen when viewed from abroad.

diegaa
07-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Yes Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain.

Feña, isnt it this way?
GBR: england + wales + scotland. gbr is the island.
UK: GBR + n.ireland + some remaining colonies.

The UK goes to the sports events as a whole, except football and rugby, i believe (and thats why they dont show up with a UK football teamon the olymics).
On a side note, when ive been to scotland, the locals always cheered me up about maradona´s handball goal. so this confirms (partially) that they hate the english team...

Ant Music
07-03-2006, 05:24 PM
England/UK/Great Britain and her colonies:

GB = England, Scotland, Wales.

UK = England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Her Majestys Commonwealth = Antigua and Barbuda,Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Cyprus ,Dominica,Fiji Islands, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Western Samoa.

If it wasn't for the French, we would still have the North American colony on that list:evil: General Lafayette has a lot to answer for.

diegaa
07-03-2006, 05:52 PM

Her Majestys Commonwealth = Antigua and Barbuda,Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Cyprus ,Dominica,Fiji Islands, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Western Samoa.

If it wasn't for the French, we would still have the North American colony on that list:evil: General Lafayette has a lot to answer for.

so i was right.:)

Caswell
07-03-2006, 05:58 PM

If it wasn't for Howe deciding to take Philadelphia instead of joining Burgoyne to take the Hudson, the war would've been over before France came in. I think your own boy has something to answer for :P

Phil
07-03-2006, 05:59 PM

Do I sense a bit...just a TAD of that Canadian inferiority complex seeping through??

C'mon, there's certainly WORSE fates than being OWNED by the USA. Hell, you could still be "British"! We love ya all, ya big Canuck (that's when we stop that moment or two in our lives to acknowledge your existence)...and I would never...EVER refer to Canada as our 51st State. That's cause it's...just...not...TRUE;)

And here's a fact: Pamela Anderson now has DUEL Canadian/American citizenship. We are so proud to be able to call a Canadian-born sister one of our own now. And Mike Meyers, John Candy, Michael J. Fox, Larry Walker...the list of contributions to our great culture from our friends up North just goes on...I am so...so...so PROUD to be your neighbor!

jaykay
07-03-2006, 06:13 PM

Thank you. This clears the cobwebs of confusion on this subject.

diegaa
07-03-2006, 06:21 PM

how about the falkland islands? whats their status?

Nictu
07-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Ah..ok.Sorry,it has a slightly different meaning in my language.

En fait, je crois que sympatique et empathique sont presque identiques en anglais... ils nous ont "volÚ" beaucoup de mots...

Je dis ša comme ša...

Nictu
07-03-2006, 08:10 PM
To uneducated to know huh? That's why your sentence has errors. It's supposed to be "but you're probably too uneducated to know" not "but your probably to uneducated to know"

^^Wow, must be that fine Canadian educational system. Please stop before you continue to make a fool of yourself.

Your original post was interesting but your arrogance is indeed out of place.

Phil
07-03-2006, 08:39 PM
A humorous take on the subject, from the "British" press:

WORLD CUP'S MADE US A DISUNITED KINGDOM
Tony Parsons
WIMBLEDON joy? Why's that, then? That pockmarked goon Andrew Murray is just Cristiano Ronaldo in a kilt.
I know it feels like we have been here before, but here's what is different about this World Cup: for the first time in my life it feels like being British doesn't matter a damn.
Ask yourself, when was the last time you saw a Union Jack?
If you believe what you read in the papers, then Germany 2006 has made us a Disunited Kingdom. As England were courageously going down to the Lisbon wing of RADA, they were said to be celebrating in Scotland.
Can it be true? The Scots may have cheered Big Phil's writhing, diving strolling players in the pubs, but did they truly feel that way in their hearts?
The Anybody But England movement has to be more wind-up than genuine feeling, doesn't it? Aren't we all still British? Or not any more?
TV ratings reveal that the Scots have tuned into the World Cup just as much as the English, but that they cheered for Anybody But The English (the Welsh are more ambivalent - but then they were with us as far back as Agincourt).
I can't quite believe any thinking Scotsman can truly detest England, just as I can never understand how any thinking Englishman can express a hatred of Scotland.
How can you dislike the country that gave the world Robert Louis Stevenson, Denis Law, Annie Lennox, porridge, Billy Bremner, Irvine Welsh, that fat bloke in Cracker, Bill Shankly, Matt Busby, Richard Jobson, North Sea oil and the most ruggedly gorgeous landscape on the planet?
Scottish soldiers have distinguished themselves in every conflict this country has ever seen. The British empire would have been impossible without the sons of Scotland. In their hearts, most of the English have nothing but love and respect for Scotland. But the World Cup posed the question: do they honestly hate our Sassenach guts?
The football certainly increased tensions. Was Gordon Brown a jock Judas for saying that he would be supporting England? Is the acne-ravaged Andrew Murray a chippy sourpuss for saying he would not? Or merely a stout Braveheart, a Scottish patriot with a Saltire sweatband - Mel Gibson with lousy skin?
Murray later desperately backtracked on his anti-English remarks, but it felt like craven hypocrisy during Wimbledon. Yes, I bet he was weeping all over his sporran when Rooney got sent off.
Newsnight conducted an interesting experiment that suggested things are not as bad as pus-chops Murray would have us believe.
For the price of about two-and-a-half licence fees, a brave Newsnight reporter bought a car, decked it out with English flags, painted the cross of St George on the bonnet and drove it around Scotland.
MOST Scots gave a friendly wave and wished the English lads well in their doomed World Cup adventure.
For a Sassenach who loves Scotland, it was all quite moving.
A man in a kilt, who looked about as genuinely jock as a packet of porridge oats, said he hoped they beat Portugal - although his wee lad, also in full jock kit, laughingly said he hoped the English lost.
But the banter was good-natured, until the brave little English van went all the way to Glasgow's Parkhead, where hooded vandals kicked in the windows.
But mostly the Newsnight experiment revealed a Scotland that was proud, confident and enlightened enough to be well above crass Sassenach-bashing. And you wonder where that leaves the most successful Scottish sportsman of the day.
If mouthy Andrew Murray hates the English as much as he seems to, then he should take up a sport that is a little less middle-class, a little less poncy, a little less cucumber-sandwiches-with-the-crusts-cutoff. Something a little less English. Try croquet, Jimmy.

BaseLineBash
07-03-2006, 11:37 PM
"I'm a Brit when I'm winning and a Scot when I'm losing"-Andy Murray

diegaa
07-04-2006, 04:50 AM
"I'm a Brit when I'm winning and a Scot when I'm losing"-Andy Murray

... being sarcastic... :neutral: he may have a point.

Roforot
07-04-2006, 06:20 AM

There's a movie called Braveheart that may explain some things :)

I talked w/ a gentleman from England.
It's interesting though; in this country(U.S.) we focus on racism based on skin color. I'd assumed that sort of racism wouldn't exist in a country that's almost all white like the U.K. I mean I can't tell but that Murray's a Scot vs. an Irish or Brittish. They all look the same to me. But apparently their racism and prejudice was based on accent/speech so they'd pick on a guy for sounding Irish!
Of course now the UK has a fair amount of immigrants so I'm sure they have racism based on skin color.

Ant Music
07-05-2006, 02:53 AM
how about the falkland islands? whats their status?

British Antarctic Territory = Falkland, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands

BLiND
07-05-2006, 04:23 AM
Being English, and having MANY Scottish friends (I just game back down from Stirling at the weekend), I can tell you that yes you don't call a Scott English, besides it being wrong, they take more offense than if you were to call an Englishman Scottish.

Basically no-one likes being called something they are not... however the scottish (and indeed the welsh) take particular offence since the English appear to dominate so many things.

However we are all British, and everyone agrees on that.

On another note, the larger majority of English will always support the Scottish & Welsh where they can, however a smaller majority of the Scottish & Welsh will support the English... basically the English are fairly relaxed when it comes to these things, but the Scottish and Welsh take it FAR more seriously, but I guess thats just natural given the history.... this is also why many consider that the English have little national identity.... its almost considered wrong to be proud to be English, you cannot put a flag outside your house without getting a special licence, because it could be seen as provactive to other nationals.

On the note of racism, its a very mixed bag. On the whole England is one of the most tolorant places in the World, we have every race living here, and most areas integrate well. There are a number of "hot-spots" for racial tensions, however (especaially recently) they seems to be more, and more cross-race, e.g. Jamican's, Turks, Polish. The racial communities are fairly large and vast, especially in London so they naturally come against one-another at times. There are LARGE Indian/Pakistan communities in the norther areas, which is basically a throw-back from the mill-workers during the industrial revolution which was mostly concentrated in the North, as well as many Caribbian & African, but they are more prevelant in the Midlands & South. We also have a lot of foreign works based in the health-services, as a shortage of doctors and nurses mean we have european, asian, african & south-american... alsorts of immigrants working there.

However things are rather-more different in Wales and Scotland, there is more racism and you will see FAR less integration (though there is a large asian community in Scotland)... I can only attribute this to their greater national identity compaired to the English.

jaggy
07-05-2006, 05:27 AM
I do not have any scientific evidence to back this up, purely anecdotal but:
1/ I lived in both Scotland and England and always found a larger % of English explicitly anti immigrant than I did in Scotland
2/ I have 2 black friends who stated that Scottish people were way more tolerant of them than English so I cannot really accept easily that there is "more racism" in Scotland. More nationalistic fervour/patriotism possibly but I believe more welcoming to other races.

Taram_Nifas
07-05-2006, 06:20 AM
And you wonder why you ring your hands and cry, "Why oh why does the World hate us?"

I don't wonder why the "World Hates", I already know why, it is because the World is generally irrational. Canadians might want to ask themselves, that while they try desperately to appear unlike America they still have Toronto Canadians plotting to carry out terror attacks in Canada. Hate is just hate.

malakas
07-05-2006, 06:23 AM
I don't wonder why the "World Hates", I already know why, it is because the World is generally irrational. Canadians might want to ask themselves, that while they try desperately to appear unlike America they still have Toronto Canadians plotting to carry out terror attacks in Canada. Hate is just hate.

:confused:

whealben
07-05-2006, 07:20 AM
:D Great post BLIND. Very accurate.

I do not have any scientific evidence to back this up, purely anecdotal but:
1/ I lived in both Scotland and England and always found a larger % of English explicitly anti immigrant than I did in Scotland
2/ I have 2 black friends who stated that Scottish people were way more tolerant of them than English so I cannot really accept easily that there is "more racism" in Scotland. More nationalistic fervour/patriotism possibly but I believe more welcoming to other races.

I'd agree there, but generally speaking, and according to the many American friends I have (I live near a US Air Base ) the British attitude to race is WAY more tolerant than back in the States. Obviously, there are pockets of racism, generally in run down poor areas, but there is Asian/Black hatred as well as white/black, white/Asian factions, but the majority of British people dont really think about the colour of peoples skin.

It's just that the bigots and the prejudiced get all the media coverage. I cant say that I'm anti Scottish or anti Welsh in the slightest, but I have felt uncomfortable a few times in both those countries. Which is ironic, because I'm not English, I'm a Celt. Cornishmen and Bretons (northern France) are very closely related.

Happily, it's not the norm though.

origmarm
01-11-2008, 01:28 AM

This is exactly it. The only thing I would add for the US guys is this:
- GB - Great Britain
- UK - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

I just find it makes it easier if you know the full names.

Regarding the Scots, I can understand not liking being called English but its hardly the end of the world. I just find it comical sometimes that people can get upset by an honest mistake like that. It's different if it's said to p*ss you off but I think that a lot of folk from overseas are just confused or don't understand, especially with the whole British vs. English/Scottish/Welsh thing, you are two things at once so people are bound to mix it up. I find the same thing with people from New Zealand and Australia, when I hear them talk sometimes it's difficult to tell and some people get really offended if you guess wrong. It's just pointless.

That said I think there is something in the comment re being British when winning and Scottish when losing.

gj011
01-11-2008, 02:23 AM
Great Britain is an island where England, Scotland and Whales are. UK is GB + Northern Ireland + lots of small islands (Isle of Man, ...)

ninman
01-11-2008, 02:27 AM

Murray's country is listed as 'Great Britain'.
(Of course, he prefers to call himself a 'Scot')

The World Cup Team was from 'England'.

And then there is the 'United Kingdom'.

GBR, UK, England are used interchangeably. What is which?

I don't know the answer and I'm genuinely curious (am not trying to be sarcastic here).

1) There are four world cup teams representing the home nations, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, there is no team representing Great Britain or the UK for that matter.

2) The UK refers to all four countries, Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, Great Britain refers to only Scotland, England and Wales.

What is written on the passport is "The United Kindom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

ninman
01-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Regarding the Scots, I can understand not liking being called English but its hardly the end of the world. I just find it comical sometimes that people can get upset by an honest mistake like that.

It's not an honest mistake, it's pure ignorance, and that offends people more than an honest mistake.

origmarm
01-11-2008, 02:47 AM
It's not an honest mistake, it's pure ignorance, and that offends people more than an honest mistake.

How is that different? I think what you are getting at is that they know he is Scottish and think that Scotland is part of England, I don't think that's the case mostly.

For me people in the US (as an example) sometimes don't understand what British is, equate British with English, hear that he is British and then think he's English. I don't think they do it to upset him or for reasons other than they are mistaken as to what British means, for me that is an honest mistake, and yes it's a result of their ignorance on the subject.

Everyone is ignorant about some things, as long as it's not wilful it seems silly to get upset over it. If someone called me French for example I wouldn't really care, just think they were a bit stupid.

pound cat
01-11-2008, 03:06 AM

Don't call me American. And get those maple leaves off your luggage when you travel abroad. LOL

And Croats are not Serbs.

Canadians struggle to retain our identity, what with all the US TV we get, proximity of the US border, emigration of our talent (Trebek, Martin Short, Pam Anderson, etc. etc. etc.) we have our own history and language (s), holidays, etc. and it's
what happens when you have a big power beside a smaller one.

And I'm sure Murray was NOT kidding.

93sq.
01-11-2008, 03:55 AM
Murray is scottish....he's from scotland!!!
Beckham is english...he's from england!!!!

ninman
01-11-2008, 05:12 AM
How is that different? I think what you are getting at is that they know he is Scottish and think that Scotland is part of England, I don't think that's the case mostly.

For me people in the US (as an example) sometimes don't understand what British is, equate British with English, hear that he is British and then think he's English. I don't think they do it to upset him or for reasons other than they are mistaken as to what British means, for me that is an honest mistake, and yes it's a result of their ignorance on the subject.

Everyone is ignorant about some things, as long as it's not wilful it seems silly to get upset over it. If someone called me French for example I wouldn't really care, just think they were a bit stupid.

Then either:

a) Children in America are stupid, or

b) Your education system is completely crap and you don't get taught anything about Geography or European History.

Gugafan_Redux
01-11-2008, 06:09 AM
He knew how much endorsement dollar he was losing by ticking off the majority, at the beginning of a budding career.

The English, generally speaking, would not be ticked off by this comment. The English understand that the Scots are Scots and not English. As a matter of nationality, the English don't want Scots to be lumped in with the English anymore than the Scots want to be likened to Englishmen. Separate from this are Englishmen who believe that Scotland as a national and politically entity should be subsumed by the English Crown. The English might be divided into two groups: those who recognize and respect Scots independence (policially and culturally), and those two recognize and resent it. In either case, it is a dynamic they are well familiar with. A Scotsman's pride would neither surprise or offend them.

As for endoresement "dollars" (pounds), I don't see this affecting anything.

vive le beau jeu !
01-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Great Britain is an island where England, Scotland and Whales are. UK is GB + Northern Ireland + lots of small islands (Isle of Man, ...)
i don't think the island of man is part of UK.

i think it's like this (but correct me if i'm wrong):
English Crown

UK
England
:arrow:Henman

Wales
Scotland
(including the amazing Rockall ?!)
:arrow:Murray

North Ireland

English Crown dependencies
Isle of Man

Channel Islands (Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey)

British Overseas territories
(Falklands, Gibraltar, etc.)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Location_of_the_BOTs.png

Nb: the GB acronym is obviously used for car plates everywhere, which leads to some confusion... ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_car_number_plates#European_plates_and_the_ GB_controversy

Gugafan_Redux
01-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Let's make it learning Friday! Yay!

http://www.4hotels.co.uk/uk/images/great-britain.gif

origmarm
01-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Then either:

a) Children in America are stupid, or

b) Your education system is completely crap and you don't get taught anything about Geography or European History.

I'm not from the US mate :)

I would say that in general the education is not so great on European history and geography but then I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be in that there is a natural tendency to focus on domestic history for example.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this one, I just find it surprising people get so upset

origmarm
01-11-2008, 06:34 AM
^^ Vive le beau jeu, that's pretty good but it's "Wales" and not "Whales" :)

I agree with Gugafan, I don't think it's affected his sponsorship etc..at all. Most people are grown up about it.

ninman
01-11-2008, 06:47 AM

I agree with Gugafan, I don't think it's affected his sponsorship etc..at all. Most people are grown up about it.

Although from what I gather there was some objection to his Scottish wristband.

Ossric
01-11-2008, 06:49 AM
That's not what I'm assuming. llamas is the typical Canadian with an inferiority complex who hates everything American. It's probably due to the fact this his beloved sport hockey wouldn't survive a minute without American teams or money. Or also that a Canadian NHL team hasn't won the Stanley Cup since the early 90's. It also hurts more because hockey is not even acknowledged as a major sport here. It gets coverage on OLN. He is also emotionally unstable due to the fact there are no great Canadian tennis players competing for grand slams, unlike the country to the south of him. Canadians get their culture from us and everything else, so it's natural for him to have an identity crisis.

That's amusing since the team that last won the cup (Anaheim) had more Canadian players than the Ottawa team it beat.

The only American players competing for grand slams are the Williams sisters and they are as classless as yourself. Whether you're American or not is irrelevant.

I do believe that a Canadian is higher on any list than any Americans. Nestor ring a bell?

As well, you shouldn't assume all Canadians love hockey, I myself am not a fan of the sport.

ninman
01-11-2008, 06:52 AM
What I think the English can't stand is that the best British hope for a GS winner is actually Scottish!

vive le beau jeu !
01-11-2008, 06:54 AM

i corrected it, thx. ;)

rafan
01-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Being Welsh I find I use my nationality when asked what it is to my advantage. We do have our own language and culture. However not to confuse people who are not aware of this I say I am British. Although we have a separate parliament or assembly , we are still one nation whether we like it or not and dependent on each. Many of Andy Murrays fans are from all over the country and in this respect he is supported by "brits". I quite understand his reluctance to be called english in this instance - but Britain is where he was born.

ninman
01-11-2008, 06:57 AM
i corrected it, thx. ;)

The biggest kick in the teeth to Welsh people was when George W. Moron Bush had a (paraphrased) conversation with a Welsh violinist, who was visiting the White House that went a little like this:

G.W: That was lovely, and where are you from?

Violinist: Wales.

(George gets confused look on his face.)

G.W: Where's Wales?

ninman
01-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Being Welsh I find I use my nationality when asked what it is to my advantage. We do have our own language and culture. However not to confuse people who are not aware of this I say I am British. Although we have a separate parliament or assembly , we are still one nation whether we like it or not and dependent on each. Many of Andy Murrays fans are from all over the country and in this respect he is supported by "brits". I quite understand his reluctance to be called english in this instance - but Britain is where he was born.

Being Scottish I have nothing against being called British. However it really bothers me when people say things like "You know in England they call Chips, Crisps". I remember one guy even thought the road laws in England are different to the road laws in Scotland and Wales!

gj011
01-11-2008, 07:26 AM
What I think the English can't stand is that the best British hope for a GS winner is actually Scottish!

This whole discussion reminded me of Monty Python episode, when aliens were turning everybody into Scottish in order to win the Wimbledon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdX17Z8Fs98&NR=1

origmarm
01-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Although from what I gather there was some objection to his Scottish wristband.

Presumably the clothing sponsor? That's ridiculous, next thing you know it'll be the haircut

Re the second post, I'm hardly surprised that GW Bush said something like that, it is Bush after all

I don't reckon it bothers the English that Murray is the best GS hope and is Scottish, after the Henman years I reckon they'll take anything they can get :)

Gugafan_Redux
01-11-2008, 09:01 AM
This whole discussion reminded me of Monty Python episode, when aliens were turning everybody into Scottish in order to win the Wimbledon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdX17Z8Fs98&NR=1

"72 match points for Blamanche..." !

Great stuff for Friday at the office. :)

SempreSami
01-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Presumably the clothing sponsor? That's ridiculous, next thing you know it'll be the haircut

Re the second post, I'm hardly surprised that GW Bush said something like that, it is Bush after all

I don't reckon it bothers the English that Murray is the best GS hope and is Scottish, after the Henman years I reckon they'll take anything they can get :)

Is that a jab at Henman?:evil:

johnny ballgame
01-13-2008, 01:45 PM
1) There are four world cup teams representing the home nations, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, there is no team representing Great Britain or the UK for that matter.

But to add to the confusion, Olympic athletes and teams compete as Great Britain... except in footie (sigh).

ninman
01-13-2008, 01:48 PM
But to add to the confusion, Olympic athletes and teams compete as Great Britain... except in footie (sigh).

As a result, none of the home nations compete in either Olympic football, or Olympic rugby.

Klippy
01-13-2008, 02:07 PM
lol. Dont we all just love each other

Greengrass
01-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I have a Scottish mother and English father but being born + bed in England, I'm English and that's it. Doesn't bother me in the slightest that Jock Boy is a Scot (and my nickname for him is an endearment, not a snipe in case some of you think it is). He's played for Team GB in the Davis Cup though I hear rumblings he may not do so much in the future ... but I don't feel upset about his decision. Federer only plays for Switzerland when it suits him and I'd expect Murray to pick his own career over Team GB .. especially when we haven't got another decent player to back him up.

As for our American cousins not being hot on geography, I had evidence of that when in Florida and in answer to a question of where we came from, and we said "England", she asked "Is that near the UK?".

origmarm
01-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Is that a jab at Henman?:evil:

While I used to love watching Henman play I never felt that he was the great British hope for a Grand Slam. Wimby was a close as he was going to get and I never felt he had a real chance of winning it, getting to the semis or final mabye but winning.....

That said it was more of a jibe at the poor English performance generally of late in various sports

bluetrain4
01-14-2008, 12:48 AM
"Great Britian" is the island on which the "nations" (not countries) of Scotland, England, and Wales are located. It is the largest of the British Isles

The "United Kingdom" is composed of all of Great Britian (Scotland, England, Wales), as well as Northern Ireland.

the UK was originally a merger between the kingdom of Great Britian (which itself was a merger between England and Scotland) and the Kingdom of Ireland (which was contained on the island named Ireland) That part of the island of Ireland that seceded from the UK became the Republic of Ireland. The rest of the island became Northern Ireland and remained as part of the UK.

Leublu tennis
01-14-2008, 01:26 AM
I have a Scottish mother and English father but being born + bed in England, I'm English and that's it. Doesn't bother me in the slightest that Jock Boy is a Scot (and my nickname for him is an endearment, not a snipe in case some of you think it is). He's played for Team GB in the Davis Cup though I hear rumblings he may not do so much in the future ... but I don't feel upset about his decision. Federer only plays for Switzerland when it suits him and I'd expect Murray to pick his own career over Team GB .. especially when we haven't got another decent player to back him up.

As for our American cousins not being hot on geography, I had evidence of that when in Florida and in answer to a question of where we came from, and we said "England", she asked "Is that near the UK?".

For Americans the study of geography is learning how to read road maps so that you can travel to far foreign places like New Orleans, Hollywood, and San Francisco. And foreign languages? English is one of them. And I am an American; just not very proud of this aspect of Americal.

naffi
01-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Bet they're not claiming him now.

http://www.******************.blogspot.com

gj011
01-14-2008, 10:49 AM
i don't think the island of man is part of UK.

You are correct. Isle of Man is not part of the UK. My bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man

Robert Johnson
01-15-2008, 12:18 AM

:) LOL. This is the trouble with some scots though. The English really don't think this way! Im English and i think it would be great if he won a slam. It would be great for Scotland AND GB tennis.

I also couldn't care less if someone called me a scot or welsh etc. Who cares! Like stated above i can't see why people get so hung up about it in 2008.