PDA

View Full Version : Rafael Nadal's Forehand

SunFlash
07-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Ive been looking for a slow-mo clip of Nadal's forehand to analyze but my efforts have been proved futile. Could someone post a clip?

JackRabbit
07-03-2006, 08:34 AM
In all honesty, Nadal's forehand is NOT a good choice to model your forehand after. It is very unconventional, and if you used his swing path without having his insane racquet head speed, you would probably produce a lot of sitters. If you still want some clips, you can try tennisplayer.net or tennisone.com.

SunFlash
07-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Ok thanks. I couldnt really decide whether to go to rodick or nadal. So im fine with either.

SunFlash
07-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Those sites didnt have nadal's forehand in slow-mo. Could someone post a site that has nadal's forehand for me to study?

TennisAsAlways
07-03-2006, 11:10 AM
I agree with Jack. Unless you can produce tremendous pace on the ball, with Nadal's type of FH, you'd end up with short sitters. You would need to generate the extra swinging velocity or momentum (e.g., by means of swinging a heavier weighted racquet at the same velocity as your otherwise, "regular" racquet) in order to compensate for the lack of ball pace that results from the extreme-spin swinging style.

I'm not saying that you should not try out modelling after his FH, but just letting you know how I see it .... how there's a downside if you do not have the ability to put in extra work into your mechanics in order to compensate, to make the shot more effective/as effective as a more traditional stroke.

That's the main thing — you have to put in extra work, therefore that style is less efficient in terms of the energy that you have to exert.

For some, I suppose, the consistency attained from that type of FH is a reward that outweighs that extra effort. We'll just have to see how Nadal lasts throughout his career, as far as injuries goes.

Anyways, I think I have some Nadal clips. I'll post them if I can find them.

AngeloDS
07-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Nadals forehand is like any other forehand. The difference is he just goes up and over his head. He takes the ball way back, like right beside him or behind him.

Oddly, he doesn't hit the ball "late" he has a very long clay-court style stroke :p. But he's really muscling through a lot of tennis balls. So go work out a bit and work on the stroke too.

TennisAsAlways
07-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Nadals forehand is like any other forehand. The difference is he just goes up and over his head. He takes the ball way back, like right beside him or behind him.

Oddly, he doesn't hit the ball "late" he has a very long clay-court style stroke :p. But he's really muscling through a lot of tennis balls. So go work out a bit and work on the stroke too.The difference is he just goes up and over his head.Yeah, he does do the reverse FH a lot, and he uses it as his regular FH, even when he has time to line up for a more traditional acoss-the-body finish pattern. He does, however, use the traditional across-the-body swing paths too.

But he's really muscling through a lot of tennis balls.Yes, it does look like it, especially when he does the over-the-head FHs, with that lifting motion.

andrew_1180
07-03-2006, 02:42 PM
well i don't know about Nadal's forehand, i personally like Roddick's forehand more than nadals. so if you're interested, here's a super-slowmo video of roddick's forehand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAKrOD06HWU&search=roddick

In D Zone
07-03-2006, 03:01 PM
I can imitate playing Nadal's forehand stroke - but one thing for sure I noticed my bicep and arms gets sore for days. Since my prospect of becoming a pro is at zero % and also did not want to risk of getting injured - I opted to stay with the more traditional semi western forehand.
I do use Nadal's forehand stroke sparing especially when I'm running down a ball from the corner - I found this stroke to be helpful because I can hit the ball back with top spin and hook down the line instead of cross court.

SunFlash
07-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I realize it might be a lil too harsh on my body to model nadal's forehand, but still post the clips if u have him please.

Also, brushing up over the head just shows his momentum of the shots and the way he gets his topspin.The only reason he does that is because when he brushes up his momentum carries his racket up and over his head.

JohnYandell
07-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Tennisplayer has a couple of hundred superslo Nadal forehands.

SunFlash
07-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Dont i have to pay for tennisplayer's movies

JohnYandell
07-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Absolutely. Some of those youtube videos have been posted in violation of copyright law.

In the case of ours, they are being taken down, and the people who posted them my face restrictions in the future.

It'd be great if everything we all wanted was free in this world.

MasterTS
07-04-2006, 10:54 AM
It'd be great if everything we all wanted was free in this world.

I want a billion dollars John. For free of course :)

RiosTheGenius
07-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Ok thanks. I couldnt really decide whether to go to rodick or nadal. So im fine with either.
I'm sorry but I think you're watching the wrong people

Nadal has a very loopy forehand which is a bit unorthodox but..but ...but... I really like his setup right before he swings it, so you might want to copy that. ... another thing to observe on his forehand just like Moya's or Federer's is the great follow through. his racquet goes around his head, or around his other arm in the case of the other two.
as for Roddick, I wouldn't go after that forehand as a model. though at times effective, it is extremely stiff and unsmooth, looks tight, and he doesn't really have a natural feel for the ball so it is very tense, if you copy that then you'll be gassed early on your matches.

my real advice is to study Carlos Moya. he has made a living out of hitting forehands ... he does everything so smooth on that side. great bringing his racquet back, smooth follow through, and as far as results, he produces the same forehand as Nadal with better looks. great clean and good looking forehand.

forget about Roddick and Nadal.

SunFlash
07-04-2006, 10:58 AM
If someone could get me a clip for free that would be great.

Midlife crisis
07-04-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm sorry but I think you're watching the wrong people

I agree, but if the OP is going to copy anyone's technique, I don't think they should be looking at a male ATP pro at all. Their physical abilities are way above anything that an average player is going to be able to get to. It would be like saying that I want to play a guard in basketball so I should emulate Dwayne Wade. Sorry, there are just things that he can do that no average person will ever able to come close to.

So, I'd look for someone on the women's side, someone who has clean and consistent strokes, probably doesn't move partcularly well compared to her peers, maybe someone like Lindsay Davenport.

wilsonboi
07-05-2006, 01:03 PM
unless you have about the same racket speed and strength as him, it would be very hard to pull off

JohnYandell
07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Master TS

Yeah we should all have that--plus all the clips we want for free.

Personally though I think that all of these players Moya, Roddick, Nadal are fabulous and have beautiful forehands but just not for 99% of all players to model exactly.

Rickson
07-05-2006, 08:57 PM
In all honesty, Nadal's forehand is NOT a good choice to model your forehand after. It is very unconventional, and if you used his swing path without having his insane racquet head speed, you would probably produce a lot of sitters. If you still want some clips, you can try tennisplayer.net or tennisone.com.
I agree. Nadal's forehand is decent enough when he whips it across his body, but when he whips it over his head, it not only looks stupid, it's a bad forehand to copy.

SunFlash
07-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Then i would be happy to see clips of forehands that are good to model.

In D Zone
07-06-2006, 02:51 PM
No Slow mo but found these....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5855305577723733958&q=rafael+nadal

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3013868200424980437&q=rafael+nadal

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1450426067713619704&q=rafael+nadal

Ronnie7
07-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Nadal's stroke is crazy because of his grip. Forget about it unless you have a titanium wrist. It hurts like a b*tch.

tonysk83
07-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I will sometimes use a Nadalish shot when I am chasing a ball down and have to hit to almost behind me, I end up not having a lot of pace on it, but it has a lot of spin. I also finish over my head. I definitely only do this during certain circumstances, probably happens 2-3 times a match that I have to do it.

Fatmike
07-07-2006, 04:42 AM
I agree, but if the OP is going to copy anyone's technique, I don't think they should be looking at a male ATP pro at all. Their physical abilities are way above anything that an average player is going to be able to get to. It would be like saying that I want to play a guard in basketball so I should emulate Dwayne Wade. Sorry, there are just things that he can do that no average person will ever able to come close to.

So, I'd look for someone on the women's side, someone who has clean and consistent strokes, probably doesn't move partcularly well compared to her peers, maybe someone like Lindsay Davenport.

Not a bad advice. I love JHH forehand better though...

FH2FH
07-07-2006, 06:27 AM
Like Rios said, Moya has a much better forehand than Nadal; he just has a much weaker backhand. Moya, Blake, Agassi, Gonzo, etc have a cleaner forehand, which is what you should try to imitate. -- Blake has not lost to Nadal by the way, or at least has a winning record against him. -- I would not imitate Roddick either, too western/spin heavy IMO.

There's an article here somewhere about how Robert Lansdorp (spelling?) encourages a flatter ball and I agree with this now - not necessarily the Sharapova killer groundstrokes, but just a clean hit - ie, Davenport, Agassi, Blake. You'll have fewer mishits and more control.

The western, heavy topspin forehand can be very erratic for someone without the timing, strength, and speed of Nadal. You'll look like a fool when your opponents dump you lots of short slices and dinks to neutralize it. Unless you can dictate the point off of nearly anything you recieve, it's useless to focus only on this style, not to mention the wrist problems you may encounter.

Moral of the story: Topspin is good, but too much is unnecessary and often counterproductive; unless you play mostly on clay, have a 30in bicep, 4 second 40 (yard) sprint, and ALSO have a backhand that can keep you out of trouble. : )

Good luck!

FH2FH
07-07-2006, 08:06 AM
To back up my post, here's a "130mph" winner on return of serve by Blake. I like the server's body language, "Um, what the hell was that?" AngeloDS posted this btw. Thanks!

Name one player with a western grip who can do that with a return.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWNPaYbFL_s

SunFlash
07-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Need i remind u that i have a western forehand. That is why i need a good forehand hitter with a western forehand grip.

SunFlash
07-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Btw thank you In D zone but if u could find slow mo it would be help a lot.

BeachTennis
07-07-2006, 02:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AciyMk91LY0

Free Cool

More then the FH

What do you get out of this video!

Raffe

6-1 head to head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggFQWu-1hGw

This video tell the story!

SunFlash
07-08-2006, 06:46 AM
ok...
Why is that important?

NamRanger
07-09-2006, 09:17 PM
You don't want to copy Nadal's forehand for many reasons..

Pros

1. Extreme topspin
2. Safe shots pretty much

Cons

1. Extremely difficult to time, especially how large the backswing is
2. Prone to causing injuries
3. Requires you to be incredibly physically fit in the arm and upper body

Nadal's forehand is mainly hit off of Nadal's backfoot, and so it forces him to hit up more, with a whipping motion insane speed. Also because it is an extreme western grip forehand, and you have to arm the ball alot due to the fact that Nadal really does not use his legs on his forehand, you are VERY prone to injuries.

Also Nadal has amazing eye hand coordination, allowing him to easily time fast balls and still hit with amazing topspin. We, mere mortals, simply cannot do it.

ramseszerg
07-09-2006, 09:49 PM
So according to midlife crisis's logic mauresmo would be a better western gripper to model than nadal.

TennisAsAlways
07-10-2006, 08:42 AM
You may want to look into Tommy Robredo's FH as well. That guy uses a full western grip and hits the ball very cleanly. On the FH side, he returns serves cleanly as well, with good pace (something that you wouldn't normally associate with a western gripper's return of serve).

SunFlash
07-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Well then please post vids.

nopiforyou
07-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Ok, some people said that the Nadal forehand does hurt you in the long run. I use it with a semi western grip and I sometimes find my right bicep and shoulder sore and stiff. However, I find it very useful and it can easily flatten or hit with a lot of topspin. It doesn't my wrist unless I hit it the wrong way.

zhan
07-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Ok, some people said that the Nadal forehand does hurt you in the long run. I use it with a semi western grip and I sometimes find my right bicep and shoulder sore and stiff. However, I find it very useful and it can easily flatten or hit with a lot of topspin. It doesn't my wrist unless I hit it the wrong way.

semi-western works well on court... but my wrist goes the next day so then i switch to eastern as its less stressful on the wrist...
:|

rounick
07-13-2006, 06:50 PM
If I could make you remember one thing when hitting a forehand-any style forehand-but especially top spin Nadal-like ones is to follow through with all you upper body.Your elbow and shoulder should follow the racquet all the way,you should end up with your shoulders lined up to course of the ball.

SunFlash
07-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Can u post vids of pros i should copy