PDA

View Full Version : Best place to retire for a tennis player ?

SC in MA
07-12-2004, 07:16 AM
I still have a couple of years to go before retirement, but I've been wondering where a good place to retire would be. Somewhere where there'd be a good number of 4.5-ish level players who could hit during the day on weekdays. And ideally, this place would also have mild weather most of the year.

I've heard that Naples, FL has a lot of age group nationally ranked players who have retired there. I've never been there so I don't really know if this is true or not. I would imagine summers would be pretty brutal there.

One would think Hawaii would be perfect, however, I lived in Hawaii (Honolulu area) for a few years during the tennis boom years back in the 70's. I don't believe it would be that easy to get games with good players on weekday days. Also, the weather is good most of the time, but it's often windy to very windy, which can be very annoying.

I would guess that somewhere in California might meet my criteria, but I won't know where. Maybe the home of TW, San Luis Obispo ?

Hilton Head is another place I heard is easy to pick-up games with good players during the day on weekdays, but I've never been there so I don't really know.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

dantyem108
07-17-2004, 09:26 AM
TENNIS magazine had an article about this a few months ago. I am not positive, but I think it was the issue with Sampras on the cover. As I recall, San Diego, Houston, Oakland and Jacksonville were on the top of the list for their modestly priced homes and great selection of courts and pros. Good luck!

goober
07-23-2004, 05:44 AM
TENNIS magazine had an article about this a few months ago. I am not positive, but I think it was the issue with Sampras on the cover. As I recall, San Diego, Houston, Oakland and Jacksonville were on the top of the list for their modestly priced homes and great selection of courts and pros. Good luck!

I don't know why anybody would want to retire in Oakland. High cost of living, not many tennis courts around from what I could see and basically overcrowded and no where near as nice as San fran.

Basically when you retire you want good weather all year round and a lot of tennis players. Therefore i would think either Florida and certain areas of southern cali like Palm Springs, San Diego, or even parts Orange County.

drakulie
07-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Agree wit goober.

dantyem108
07-23-2004, 07:12 PM
tell TENNIS magazine...........

Gaines Hillix
07-25-2004, 11:21 AM
I would agree with San Diego except for the cost of housing. The weather is the best in the US, tennis courts everywhere and good level of competion. SanFrancisco area housing is even more expensive than SanDiego. Houston and Jacksonville have lower costs of living and lots of tennis, but the heat and humidity in the summer are incredibly high.

miki
07-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Puerto Vallarta. I'm not kidding - I was there in vacation and discover good american tennis community looking to play!
After that I have my dream for retirement!
Good luck!

Brad Smith
08-05-2004, 07:45 AM
I would think having a *lot* of 4.5 players who can play during the day on weekdays would be difficult anywhere. I'm not discriminating against older players, but usually by the time someone retires they're no longer 4.5. There are lots of exceptions of course, but are there going to be a lot of them living in one place?

I live in Gainesville, FL which is in north Florida about 1.5 hours SW of Jacksonville. The summers are definitely unpleasant. If you play during the day the sun beats you down, and if you play at night it's very humid. Having said that, I used to live down near Naples and it was much worse. Naples does have a lot of good older players, but a lot of them only spend the winter there. That's something you have to keep in mind about Florida in general -- what you see in the winter isn't necessarily what you get in the summer.

I'd recommend looking into Hilton Head or some of the other spots along the SC or NC coasts. There are plenty of tennis resorts and a lot of them have memberships for local players and will use you for game matching against their guests. There are also probably plenty of tennis fanatics who retire there for just that reason. The summers are hot, but not as bad as Florida, and the winters are mild enough so you can play year round.

atatu
08-11-2004, 06:50 AM
I think Money magazine rated Atlanta as one of the best places to retire, and as we all know, tennis is huge there. At this point, I'm thinking of retiring there (but I'm still 15 years away from that). Also, I've heard Saint George, Utah is nice, although I'm not sure how many players are there, Vic Braden has his camp there now.

LanEvo
08-16-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't know why anybody would want to retire in Oakland. High cost of living, not many tennis courts around from what I could see and basically overcrowded and no where near as nice as San fran.

Basically when you retire you want good weather all year round and a lot of tennis players. Therefore i would think either Florida and certain areas of southern cali like Palm Springs, San Diego, or even parts Orange County.

actually oakland has quite a few courts, also alot of ppl play tennis there and its good weather all year round i am 15 and i see of senior people playing tennis

Chauvalito
08-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Hilton Head: I dont think you could go wrong. Plus there are a plethora of clay courts to play...and of course the beach.

I played at VDM (plantation center I think) for a week. I think they called it the World class drilling and hitting week.

Anyway, it was fun, and there were a lot of good players there. The heat and humidity were brutal though.

One guy in our group sat down and promptly passed out. The coaches packed him down with ice and we had to call an ambulance.

He was a VERY large guy though, I would say around 6' 5'', and over 200 pounds.

For reference, I was 21 at the time and I was having some issues with the heat.

Redflea
08-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Atlanta has an amazing tennis community.

San Diego has better weather, but housing is pretty bad. If you have enough equity that you don't mind paying around $600,000 for a three bedroom 1800 sq ft home, you could probably find something. Balboa Tennis Club has about 25 courts I think, and I'm told it has a lot of action, lots of good players.

atatu
08-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Wow, this thread is back after three years....is that a record ? By now the OP might already be retired. Anyway, I've decided I'm going to need some clay courts by the time I'm ready to retire, so I guess that means Florida, maybe the panhandle area ?

Redflea
08-18-2007, 09:24 AM
LOL...didn't even look at the date OP started it...

Wish I was 2 years from retirement. I am SO ready to get up every day for my 8:00 AM match. :D

nyc
08-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Monaco!

I think they have the highest density of top level players, great clay courts and a very agreeable climate. It's also a tax haven.

Mountain Ghost
08-19-2007, 08:18 PM
San Diego is great. As mentioned, 25 courts (with many players) at the Balboa Tennis Club (Morley Field) for $155 a year. Also, Barnes Tennis Center, a junior training facility that also has an adult program . . . 20 hard and 4 clay courts that are available to adults when the juniors arenít using them (for like $6.00 a day for hard / $8.50 a day for clay). Iíve heard getting a clay court is very possible if you donít need prime time.

Also . . . 72 degrees every day of the year (only a slight exaggeration), lots of sunshine, good beaches and housing prices lower than SF, LA, Santa Barbara or Palm Springs. Just a bit crowded these days.

San Luis Obispo is also very nice.

MG

Phil
08-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Wow, this thread is back after three years....is that a record ? By now the OP might already be retired. Anyway, I've decided I'm going to need some clay courts by the time I'm ready to retire, so I guess that means Florida, maybe the panhandle area ?
Is the proximity of tennis courts your main criteria for where you want to retire? You must have more to do in life...anyway, take my advice and avoid the Fla. Panhandle. It absolutely sucks. And how long each day do you think you can play, as a senior, in the blistering humidity of the Panhandle summer?

chess9
08-20-2007, 04:11 AM
I would agree with San Diego except for the cost of housing. The weather is the best in the US, tennis courts everywhere and good level of competion. SanFrancisco area housing is even more expensive than SanDiego. Houston and Jacksonville have lower costs of living and lots of tennis, but the heat and humidity in the summer are incredibly high.

Ditto.

-Robert

wyutani
08-20-2007, 04:17 AM
Best place to retire for a tennis player ?

iray, iran or cuba

eagle
08-20-2007, 05:08 AM
It has been three years already. Have you decided where you are going to go?

r,
eagle

SC in MA
08-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Hey all. Thanks for all the responses, both past and recent. It's good to see this thread revived !

Well, I'm still not retired and my guess is that I'm going to hang in for a couple of more years (that is, unless my employer thinks differently ! :-))

Though I've given it thought, I still don't know where I might retire. Since my original posting, I'm thinking more about just staying where I am - in the Boston area, even though I really dislike winter here.

The plus is there's good tennis here year around. I prefer outdoor on clay, but the indoor hardcourt season is very active so I can't really complain about not being able to play year around.

There might not be a lot of good players who can play during the day here, but I have no problem getting good matches either early in the morning or in the mid-to-late afternoon/early evening. So, maybe my wish for good players to play during the day isn't all that important.

Once I retire, I may try going down to Florida during the winter to see how I like it, but I think I'm still a few years away from that.

California is probably the next option. I was born and raised in California, though I haven't lived there (nor visited) for a good number of years now. At some point in the next few years, I hope to spend some time in California to get a feel for it again.

Hawaii is another place I'd like to revisit. It's been a lot of years since I lived there back in the mid-70's, but I definitely loved living there back then.

Again, thanks for all the responses.

eagle
08-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Howzit brah,

If you make it out here, let me know so we can hit some.

r,
eagle

Fedace
08-20-2007, 07:43 AM

Arizona is a nice tennis community i hear. Like Tucson or Scottsdale. Many USTA teams located there. but someone also said Arizona is a racist state ?:confused:

simi
08-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Can't address Northern California, as I'm a southern (Cal) 'born and breed' boy. San Luis Obispo has pretty much the best weather in the country. Every bit as good as San Diego. However, it might be difficult to get the matches you are seeking in a smaller, rural town; as SLO is.

San Diego might be your best bet, except for the cost of housing...and the increasingly overcrowded infrastructure (freeways). If you can swing the housing, San Diego is close to tennis paradise.

Lots of tennis in the Los Angeles Basin (incl. Orange County). Getting crowded, and will become more so in future years. Housing (relatively) affordable, depending on how far you are willing to drive. Transportation system fast approaching gridlock, virtually non-existent rapid transit.

For me personally, (I have about ten years left before retirement), if wanting to be near family and cost of housing were not an issue, I'd spend summers in San Diego and winters in Saint George.

nyc
08-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Can't address Northern California, as I'm a southern (Cal) 'born and breed' boy. San Luis Obispo has pretty much the best weather in the country. Every bit as good as San Diego. However, it might be difficult to get the matches you are seeking in a smaller, rural town; as SLO is.

Well, you could always challenge Chris Edwards of VLOG fame for a match...

Mountain Ghost
08-20-2007, 10:22 AM
So EAGLE, whatís the tennis scene like in Kona? Are there any stand-alone tennis clubs, or are most of the courts, players and teaching pros at the hotels? My mind keeps getting drawn to the area above Captain Cook. How about private courts . . . are there many?

MG

eagle
08-20-2007, 02:24 PM
MG,

There are only four public courts. All others are private or clubs.

We play primarily at Holua Tennis Club and at times at Royal Kona. There is also Island Slice (Keauhou) next to Outrigger Ohana. Most mainlanders are probably more familiar with the courts at Waikoloa where big USTA tourneys are held.

Thanks,
eagle

LuckyR
08-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Keauhou Surf and Racquet Club is my main experience. Lots of retirees but the quality of play is variable.

GRANITECHIEF
08-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, you could always challenge Chris Edwards of VLOG fame for a match...

As well as Shaolin, NoBadMojo, and any of the players from Cal Poly or Cuesta College. And there are a couple good clubs like Avila Bay and SLO Country. I know Avila has some good players. Definitely an awesome area that i would like to spend more time in.

DNShade
08-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Howzit brah,

If you make it out here, let me know so we can hit some.

r,
eagle

Eagle,

Hey there...I make it out to The Big Island quite a bit. Kona huh? Maybe we can hit the next time I'm there. Usually just up the Queen K from you at the Mauna Lani area. Keep thinking I need to buy a house out there...

D

eagle
08-22-2007, 04:59 AM
Hi DN,

Let me know when you make it out. Also, my wife is a realtor, so she can help you get a house. :)

r,
eagle

Mountain Ghost
08-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Hi E, are you the ďTraveling EagleĒ . . . Virginia, San Diego, Kona? Whatís it like above Captain Cook? Are there multi-acre parcels to be found? Would the zoning allow building an indoor (or covered) tennis court?

MG

eagle
08-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Yes, multiacre lots are available. Covered courts here? I haven't seen any although that's almost sacrilegious. :)

r,
eagle

BreakPoint
08-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't think you can get much better than California as far as tennis weather is concerned - mild, sunny, and low humidity almost year-round. Also lots of players of all levels to play with. However, the cost of living (especially housing) is quite prohibitive. :-( But given what I said above, I think you can understand WHY housing is so expensive. If it were cheap, just about the entire country would be living here. ;)

Joeyg
08-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Oakland's great! Just don't forget to bring your gat.

Mountain Ghost
08-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Covered courts here? I haven't seen any although that's almost sacrilegious. :)

r,
eagle

Maybe the religions arenít keeping up with the times. Most of the ďfaithfulĒ think enclosures are for climate and weather control. Iím a bit of a heretic. After DECADES of playing and teaching this game, Iím no longer a believer in the gospel of sun tanning.

But Iím sure the Tourista Deacons would be proud of your sermon.

MG

eagle
08-23-2007, 08:33 AM
No, it's just the fact that Hawaii is the most expensive place in the country in terms of cost of electricity. Try running an AC unit in your home a few days here even sparingly and be prepared with a bill upwards of $400 ... if you're lucky.

Now try that with multiple courts under cover. It won't be fiscally feasible. Also, I never needed the sun to be tan if you follow. :)

r,
eagle

DNShade
08-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi DN,

Let me know when you make it out. Also, my wife is a realtor, so she can help you get a house. :)

r,
eagle

I may just have to take you up on both. Should be out there in the next month or two...

D

Pete Semper
08-23-2007, 12:15 PM
I would say any city in the South of France (Nice, Aix-en-Provence, Marseilles, Montpellier, Perpignan) just because its my area, lol. Sweet weather, tennis courts are everywhere (mostly clay and hard courts), players are numerous and most of them have a 4.5 rate certified.

ced
08-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Atlanta has an amazing tennis community.

San Diego has better weather, but housing is pretty bad. If you have enough equity that you don't mind paying around $600,000 for a three bedroom 1800 sq ft home, you could probably find something. Balboa Tennis Club has about 25 courts I think, and I'm told it has a lot of action, lots of good players.

RedFlea is right on about Atlanta ....... more tennis here year round than anywhere I know. Now, traffic, etc. is another matter ! I've been retired 17 years and have played every weekday since I retired.

Check our website below and come join us.

jasonbourne
08-26-2007, 12:14 PM
I don't think you can get much better than California as far as tennis weather is concerned - mild, sunny, and low humidity almost year-round. Also lots of players of all levels to play with. However, the cost of living (especially housing) is quite prohibitive. :-( But given what I said above, I think you can understand WHY housing is so expensive. If it were cheap, just about the entire country would be living here. ;)

I agree with BP. I've been to play tennis and considered living and later retiring in FL, TX, AL, NY, AZ, NV, IL, and NC. IMO, northern peninsula and southern CA is better for its weather and number of accessible courts. Another reason for the high demand to live in CA.

Bill K.
10-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Anybody give any serious thought to using an RV to get to tennis resorts or tournaments (in retirement)? I get the impression some places cater to RV's (mobile home, 5th wheel, or travel trailer) and have tennis, e.g. Yuma, Arizona and Destin, Fla. In theory, seems great on a part-time basis to get around the country assuming you can spend some gas money. Any thoughts or experiences with this....?

NetSkillsRule
10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Tampa, Florida.
Join a club and join the Ultimate Tennis League from K-Swiss and you will never be without a good match.

Geezer Guy
10-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Anybody give any serious thought to using an RV to get to tennis resorts or tournaments (in retirement)? I get the impression some places cater to RV's (mobile home, 5th wheel, or travel trailer) and have tennis, e.g. Yuma, Arizona and Destin, Fla. In theory, seems great on a part-time basis to get around the country assuming you can spend some gas money. Any thoughts or experiences with this....?

No experience, but my thoughts are you'd have to use it a HELLUVALOT for it to be cost-effective. For the money you'd pay for one of those (new, anyway) you can stay in a LOT of hotel rooms. (But, if money is no object and that's what you want to do - then no problem.)

GS
10-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Too bad Oakland got a bad rap on this thread---I've been here 30 years and think it's tennis paradise. Best weather in the country (along with San Diego), lots of publics courts, and a facility that usually wins best public place in the country. But, I'm about to retire, and that means moving onto clay courts, which aren't around here. Florida is too hot and humid in the summer, and I don't like hurricane threats, so my choice will be Hilton Head, S.C.---tons of clay, lots of golf, and pretty good weather. (Since it's a barrier island, it almost never gets hit by a hurricane.)

sciwriter
10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
"Since Hilton Head is a barrier island, it never gets hit by a hurricane."

What? What?! You're joking, I hope.

SteveI
10-10-2007, 10:32 AM
"Since Hilton Head is a barrier island, it never gets hit by a hurricane."

What? What?! You're joking, I hope.

Hi GS and all,

I think GS is right on with his facts. HH has been hit only a few times.. and never very bad compared to other places in the hurricane zone.

Regards,
Steve

IceNineTX
10-10-2007, 10:36 AM

I live in the Houston metro area. I have about 60 (last count was 59) public courts in a 5-7 mile radius of my house. That doesn't count the numerous country club and athletic clubs in the area.

It's really hot from July-Sept, but I still play at night without too much issue. The rest of the year is nice. You can play 12 months out of the year unless it's raining. I played a ton last winter with just a long sleeve shirt, lightweight athletic pants, and something to cover my ears. It was great.

jpc

GS
10-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Thank you for your support, Stevie Ray.
For the record, Hilton Head gets brushed by a hurricane every 3.6 years.
Their average years between direct hurricane hits is 10.5 years.
Their only big hit in the last 100 years was in 1959, Hurricane Gracie, with gusts up to 138 mph, and leaving 11 inches of rain. An old-timer there told me the whole island was covered with 6 inches of water.
That's the facts, jack.

sciwriter
10-11-2007, 10:33 AM
OK, I'll drop this subject after this -- but Beaufort County, where Hilton Head is located, is one of the most vulnerable places to hurricanes on the East Coast. In 1893, 2,000 people died there in a hurricane that was about the size of Katrina when it hit the Gulf Coast.

Saying that Hilton Head isn't vulnerable because it hasn't been hit directly in the past century is like saying that Galveston, Texas, isn't vulnerable. In 1900, Galveston lost 6,000 people.

Hilton Head is a dangerous place to live partly because its evacution routes are inadequate. It's almost as bad as New Orleans in that respect. There isn't enough road capacity off the island. People can get out in time if they leave 36 hours before a hurricane, but if you delay, you're in trouble. County emergency managers in Beaufort County are among the best in the nation -- and they will tell you, straight out, that they are worried, very worried, about losing lives.

GS
10-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Okay, I'm sorry that I doubted you. I just think that I'll take my chances. There was an earthquake here in Oakland a few months ago which damaged this old house. The last big quake on the Hayward Fault here was in 1868. It can erupt bigtime any second now, since it's way overdue. At least with a hurricane, I have time beforehand to board up a house, escape, and hope that the house survives. With a possible major quake, I'm screwed.

ttbrowne
07-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Fla Panhandle?
I just returned from Destin. Played at San Destin. No way am I subjecting myself to that humidity when I retire.

MLoutch
07-07-2008, 07:40 PM

MODESTLY priced homes in Oakland or San Diego!!!!! errr no way - I do believe they are the top 2 places but for sure NOT because of housing cost. (although i would live in Berkeley (the rose Garden is an awesome place to play! that view!) or Orinda or Moraga I would not go near the City of Oakland.

Houston is a great place to live (I do currently) but I would NEVER want to retire here - work here, live here, make LOTS and LOTS of money here but when time to retire i'm outta here! BUT the humidity is great for your skin - less wrinkles!!!!:)

No. 1 has to be San Diego - Hell, buy a condo in Rosarita Beach, Mexico - only 30 min away from San Diego and with the prices in Mexico you can live like a king in Baja! more english spoken there than in L.A.!

LuckyR
07-11-2008, 11:07 AM
MODESTLY priced homes in Oakland or San Diego!!!!! errr no way - I do believe they are the top 2 places but for sure NOT because of housing cost. (although i would live in Berkeley (the rose Garden is an awesome place to play! that view!) or Orinda or Moraga I would not go near the City of Oakland.

Houston is a great place to live (I do currently) but I would NEVER want to retire here - work here, live here, make LOTS and LOTS of money here but when time to retire i'm outta here! BUT the humidity is great for your skin - less wrinkles!!!!:)

No. 1 has to be San Diego - Hell, buy a condo in Rosarita Beach, Mexico - only 30 min away from San Diego and with the prices in Mexico you can live like a king in Baja! more english spoken there than in L.A.!

Good luck getting from Rosarita to SD in 30 minutes...

Il Mostro
07-11-2008, 11:39 AM
South America -- Argentina or Uruguay. Reasonable cost of living and reasonable club fees, clay courts, great food & wine, nice beaches, Euro-centric culture. What else could you ask for?

jamauss
07-13-2008, 02:44 PM
don't retire to Arizona unless it's the northern part of the state or you only want to live here during the winter. trust me. :lol:

clint999
07-19-2008, 02:05 AM

MLoutch
07-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Good luck getting from Rosarita to SD in 30 minutes...

good point - but get yourself a SENTRI pass and you never have to sit in those INSANE Tijuana lines -

Going from San Diego TO Rosarita not the problem -

Enlightened Coelacanth
08-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Oakland's great! Just don't forget to bring your gat.Word! I've heard lots of things about Oakland but never heard it's tennis being praised (or discussed at all). Berkeley next door has several nice clubs however.

If you like California and got the Do-Re-Mi (thanks to Woody G.) then I would suggest looking beyond the bay to Sacramento, Granite Bay (home of Tursonov), Auburn, Davis, Roseville, (even Chico)etc.
The cost of housing drops precipitously and there are tons of clubs and a nice player base to pick from. Be prepared for the summer heat though.
As you leave the cooling winds of the bay and ocean and get into the inland valleys mid day can bake!

But if I were to stay in Ca. that's where I would look to. As for me, the tennis scene around Portland, Oregon is more active then you would think. I can also vouch for Charleston, S.C. and Houston (though would I want to live in Houston?).

stanfordtennis alum
08-01-2008, 12:01 PM
ca, fl, tx, sc

atatu
03-15-2013, 01:55 PM
I had to bring this thread back after 5 years away, because, well, I'm five years closer to retirement. Anyway, any new ideas where to retire, how about North Carolina ? I need clay courts !

gavna
03-15-2013, 03:22 PM
I had to bring this thread back after 5 years away, because, well, I'm five years closer to retirement. Anyway, any new ideas where to retire, how about North Carolina ? I need clay courts !

Then you want Florida and parts of South Carolina...........Carolina's get too cold in the winter though. I still say San Diego would be best - also some Har Tru available.

thejackal
03-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Then you want Florida and parts of South Carolina...........Carolina's get too cold in the winter though. I still say San Diego would be best - also some Har Tru available.

san diego? my folks live over there and tennis isn't that great (granted they're 40 minutes outside the city). are you referring to an area in particular? they used to live in OC and I thought the public facilities were better there

sureshs
03-19-2013, 09:00 AM
San Diego is the best

gavna
03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
san diego? my folks live over there and tennis isn't that great (granted they're 40 minutes outside the city). are you referring to an area in particular? they used to live in OC and I thought the public facilities were better there

Barnes Tennis CTR, Balboa Tennis in Balboa Park (25 courts and like 1600 reg members), San Diego Racket Club.........even more up north in Del Mar and La Jolla. Lee Merry runs an excellent program near Escondido.

tennisplayer1993
03-19-2013, 12:31 PM
I would recommend either Florida or Southern California because of the weather.

LeeD
03-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Someone said, there are NO retired 4.5 level players.
Well, I disagree. There are at least one in 5,000 still playing at the 4.5 levels.

LeeD
03-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Most courts I see, the early AM crowd is old foogies, and some 3.5-4.0 doubles start around 10AM, lasting maybe thru 1PM.
Around 4 or so, some real 4.5-5.0's show up, after work.
And during the lunch hours, some 4.5 can show up to hit, but usually don't stay for sets or matches.
You can set up matches at any hour, of course.

ollinger
03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Best place to retire is near your family, certainly if you have kids; you can play tennis anywhere. Retirees in my area in the northeast play all the tennis they can handle at indoor clubs that have early bird specials that allow you to play every day for a very low seasonal flat fee. (Don't worry -- nobody sleeps well at that age -- the average person over 65 sleeps 5 hours).

sureshs
03-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Best place to retire is near your family, certainly if you have kids; you can play tennis anywhere. Retirees in my area in the northeast play all the tennis they can handle at indoor clubs that have early bird specials that allow you to play every day for a very low seasonal flat fee. (Don't worry -- nobody sleeps well at that age -- the average person over 65 sleeps 5 hours).

But how many tennis days do they lose in winter due to not being able to go to the club because of snow storms?

Also, I heard indoor clubs are very expensive - at least that is what many posters have claimed. I am not sure how much early bird specials reduce the rate.

When I was in IW this time, I heard so much about retirees who have moved there for the golf and tennis. On the main road to the Tennis Garden, as it branches off from the highway, is a huge billboard for an electrical crematorium. I have heard similar things about places in Florida, California, Arizona, Texas, and Nevada. But not about the NE.

nyc
03-21-2013, 07:20 AM

too hot in Austin?

ollinger
03-21-2013, 01:15 PM
sureshs
The early bird specials are pretty reasonable; maybe $500 for all the tennis you want before 10 AM, from September until May. Cremation is extra.

luvforty
03-22-2013, 07:02 AM
wow, something to look forward to

early bird tennis;
early bird dinner;
bingo at night.

nyc
03-22-2013, 08:02 AM

early bird tennis;
early bird dinner;
bingo at night.

http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/old-men-oklahoma.jpg

sureshs
03-22-2013, 08:38 AM

early bird tennis;
early bird dinner;
bingo at night.

Why don't you smash the stereotype and go for dinner at 5:15 pm instead of 5?

rich s
03-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Hilton Head, SC..... great weather.... and clay courts everywhere....

Buford T Justice
03-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Why don't you smash the stereotype and go for dinner at 5:15 pm instead of 5?

Ha! The early bird blue plate (blue hair) specials down here END by 5pm!

LOL

atatu
03-26-2013, 07:47 AM
too hot in Austin?

It's never too hot for me, but the lack of clay courts can be a little brutal on the body, plus I wouldn't mind being near the water in my old age....

nyc
03-26-2013, 07:50 AM
It's never too hot for me, but the lack of clay courts can be a little brutal on the body, plus I wouldn't mind being near the water in my old age....

Well then...Santa Barbara!

Just ask Granitechief.

sovertennis
03-26-2013, 07:55 AM
If you live in the more rural parts of the frozen northeast, indoor tennis facilities are few and far between, and even if you live near to one, they are expensive and there aren't many people who play at high (4.5+) level. This is why I read every new message that goes into this thread: I'm moving out of this forbidden zone.

GRANITECHIEF
03-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Just ask Granitechief.

You bet, Come on over. Be sure to hold up a stage coach on your way, unless you were a really good saver.

I could really use more players for my club team!

But ya, close to the water:

http://www.ucen.ucsb.edu/surfcam.html

And we do have few clay courts around, like these right next to the beach.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=34.432496,-119.916152&spn=0.004332,0.006378&t=h&z=18

sureshs
03-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Watch out for earthquakes

thejackal
03-26-2013, 01:06 PM
You bet, Come on over. Be sure to hold up a stage coach on your way, unless you were a really good saver.

But ya, close to the water:

http://www.ucen.ucsb.edu/surfcam.html

And we do have few clay courts around, like these right next to the beach.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=34.432496,-119.916152&spn=0.004332,0.006378&t=h&z=18

a friend of mine goes to school in SB and raves about the weather. though she drives down to LA a lot since things can get a bit slow around town entertainent-wise

sureshs
03-26-2013, 01:11 PM
SB is a town for rich families and rich students at UCSB. The fancy place Solvang is also close by. Not much action there.

GRANITECHIEF
03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
a friend of mine goes to school in SB and raves about the weather. though she drives down to LA a lot since things can get a bit slow around town entertainent-wise

Lots of restaurants and clubs/music, but in LA is times 10.

GRANITECHIEF
03-26-2013, 01:34 PM
SB is a town for rich families and rich students at UCSB. The fancy place Solvang is also close by. Not much action there.

Tell that to the gang members, Westmont and Santa Barbara City College students and homeless contingent. There are people of all demographics here, including a struggling middle class.

sureshs
03-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Tell that to the gang members, Westmont and Santa Barbara City College students and homeless contingent. There are people of all demographics here, including a struggling middle class.

Yeah I was just kidding.

nyc
03-26-2013, 01:50 PM
including a struggling middle class.

to which I shall add personally soon.

atatu
03-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Just ask Granitechief.

The ironic thing is that I went to UCSB back in the day. I still love it there, but yeah, I don't think I could afford to retire there, or anywhere in Socal. I'm thinking maybe Columbia....

sureshs
03-28-2013, 11:16 AM
The ironic thing is that I went to UCSB back in the day. I still love it there, but yeah, I don't think I could afford to retire there, or anywhere in Socal. I'm thinking maybe Columbia....

Do you mean Colombia or British Columbia?

sureshs
03-28-2013, 11:17 AM
The ironic thing is that I went to UCSB back in the day. I still love it there, but yeah, I don't think I could afford to retire there, or anywhere in Socal.

That is why I make do with a small condo. There is so much tennis and good weather that you don't need to be at home.

atatu
03-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Do you mean Colombia or British Columbia?

Columbia as in Medellin, I'm thinking there will be lots of women who look like Gloria on Modern Family....

ASH1485
04-02-2013, 04:46 AM
i was about to buy a house in North Carolina until i read this thread :)

RobFL
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Just got back from being in Boise, ID first time ever. People would be very suprised how nice it is there, especially if cost of living is a factor. Strong tennis scene, great climate, nice people.

rfkent
05-10-2013, 04:25 AM
Consider southern Delaware. Very nice resort at Sea Colony which has 6 indoor courts, and a moderate climate. Not Florida climate but still nice. No sales taxes, low real estate taxes. I am semi-retired and spend a fair amount of time there. For the two cold months I travel to Naples, or Long Boat Key to get out of the cold.

Good Luck

El Diablo
05-10-2013, 05:00 AM
Best place to retire is a city with good mass transit. As you get on into your retirement, the two things you may no longer be in any condition to do are drive and play tennis. Retiring to a place primarily for tennis is beyond shortsighted; you can play tennis almost anywhere.

Thud and blunder
05-10-2013, 06:51 AM
That's the post-retirement phase...anyway, cars will be self-driving by then :)

Chotobaka
05-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Wow,this thread has staying power. Location and climate aside, you might want to pay attention to the prevailing court surfaces in different areas. I live in Southern California and relish any chance I have to travel and play on clay. The hard courts out here (and many of the surfaces at public courts are simply painted cement) really deliver a pounding over time -- and if you plan on having your retirement revolve around tennis, a more benign surface will be important to your aging body and degenerative joints. There is no getting around this.

atatu
05-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Actually Southern Delaware sounds pretty good to me, they have clay at Sea Colony, right ? I used to go to Bethany beach back in the day and it was pretty fun, although I've heard it's very crowded now.

r2473
05-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Should Federer retire?

Oh sorry, wrong thread.

mikeler
05-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Wow,this thread has staying power. Location and climate aside, you might want to pay attention to the prevailing court surfaces in different areas. I live in Southern California and relish any chance I have to travel and play on clay. The hard courts out here (and many of the surfaces at public courts are simply painted cement) really deliver a pounding over time -- and if you plan on having your retirement revolve around tennis, a more benign surface will be important to your aging body and degenerative joints. There is no getting around this.

Good point. Lots of clay around these parts and my body likes it more and more.

siata94
05-14-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm glad that Orange County is not getting much props here, it's already too difficult to find courts, even on weekday mornings and there are prob more courts per square mile in OC than anywhere else in the country. Weekend mornings? Forgetaboutit!!!

And the weather aint that great in OC, it's a scorching 80F today...

atatu
05-14-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm glad that OC is not getting much props here, it's already too difficult to find courts, even on weekday mornings and there are prob more courts per square mile in OC than anywhere else in the country. Weekend mornings? Forgetaboutit!!!

And the weather aint that great in OC, it's a scorching 80F today...

Orange County or Ocean City ? Orange County isn't exactly cheap, and then there's the traffic....Ocean City ? No comment.....

LuckyR
05-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Orange County or Ocean City ? Orange County isn't exactly cheap, and then there's the traffic....Ocean City ? No comment.....

"The OC" is Orange County. "OC" can be anything (including Ocean City).

hray4clay
07-05-2013, 11:40 AM

There are some clay courts here and there in NC but if you are coming down, bring your own fresh fruit and vegetables and I hope you like pork and vinegar!

hray4clay
07-05-2013, 11:48 AM

You don't know how right you are about this particular aspect!! There is a huge difference of the pounding your old body will have to absorb on hard courts compared to clay.

hray4clay
07-05-2013, 11:49 AM
"The OC" is Orange County. "OC" can be anything (including Ocean City).

Which Ocean City, NJ or NC? There is a world of difference, trust me.

atatu
07-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Which Ocean City, NJ or NC? There is a world of difference, trust me.

I was actually thinking Ocean City, Maryland. Anyway, after spending a week in Destin, Florida earlier this month, I could see retiring in the panhandle, if I could just find a place where there are a lot of players.

ollinger
07-08-2013, 08:43 AM
^^ NJ is now the third most frequent retirement destination (people moving from one home to another for retirement) in the US, after Florida and Arizona. Many retirement communities have sprung up in the shore regions and appeal to people whose children are in the NYC or Philly areas.

gavna
07-08-2013, 03:52 PM
I was actually thinking Ocean City, Maryland. Anyway, after spending a week in Destin, Florida earlier this month, I could see retiring in the panhandle, if I could just find a place where there are a lot of players.

I also would think Ocean City, Maryland........my daughter went to school in Maryland and we would fly up and grab a week here and there.

As for the Flotida panhandle I've played in a bunch of Sr events from Panama City back to Pensacola - lots of 40+ yrs olds and good too.
Ft Walton - Destin stretch loaded with players. As is the Orange Beach and southern part of Alabama.

mrw
07-15-2013, 04:20 PM

OC. MD has nice courts but finding players interested in singles is near impossible. I have been here 2 years and drive back to Bucks County,Pa for tennis. hoping to get the hell out of here next year.

atatu
07-16-2013, 10:57 AM
When I played in Ocean City, MD back in the 90's they had those fake grass courts with the sand in them, I hated those. But isn't there some good tennis in Delaware close by ?

GS
07-16-2013, 12:37 PM
When I played in Ocean City, MD back in the 90's they had those fake grass courts with the sand in them, I hated those. But isn't there some good tennis in Delaware close by ?

In Bethany Beach, DE, there's the Bethany Club with 8 claycourts, and the Sea Colony resort with 14 clay.

mrw
07-16-2013, 02:13 PM
In Bethany Beach, DE, there's the Bethany Club with 8 claycourts, and the Sea Colony resort with 14 clay.

Sea Colony is for owner's only. Tried for years to get something going there.

Bethany is a doubles paradise.

It's funny that when I was thinking about making this move, someone on here told me that tennis here was non existent except for doubles and he was moving for that reason. Turned out to be true. Now I want to move for the same reason.

nyc
08-21-2013, 07:26 PM

Arrived in SB not too long ago and started to connect to the local players.
Loving the climate and playing field so far, BUT it is also outstandingly clear that I have ZERO business in hitting with Granitechief :) Heard about the infamous first serve...

Heard from JC on your team that your boy did outstandingly well at the Zoo! Congrats!

West Coast Ace
08-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Orange County or Ocean City ? Orange County isn't exactly cheap, and then there's the traffic....Ocean City ? No comment.....Orlando is in Orange County FL - not as well known as the So Cal one - but a lot more affordable - and no state income tax.

On a related note: Powerball will be over $90 mil Sat. I heard Monte Carlo Country Club is having a membership drive... :)

GRANITECHIEF
08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Arrived in SB not too long ago and started to connect to the local players.
Loving the climate and playing field so far, BUT it is also outstandingly clear that I have ZERO business in hitting with Granitechief :) Heard about the infamous first serve...

Heard from JC on your team that your boy did outstandingly well at the Zoo! Congrats!

Thanks for the congrats, and don't believe the heresay, always happy to hit with new folks.

Headed to nyc on Sat. Have to watch in person, of course.

nyc
08-22-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm sure the Open will be tons of fun, and having extended access a massive bonus.

Have fun and good luck!

LeeD
08-22-2013, 01:32 PM
There are NO bests.
Anywhere can have a hurricane, cyclone, earthquake, volcano erruption, or lose players of your level through any dozens of factors.
It's your perception that counts, and is not universally applied to every other tennis player in the world.
There are NO best racket, no best strings, no best handle sizes, no best weight, balance or swingweights.

jbleiman
08-22-2013, 06:59 PM
nobody mentioned south jersey...the garden spot of the garden state

atatu
08-23-2013, 06:56 AM

Tell us about it, what is the court situation there ?

ollinger
08-23-2013, 07:33 AM
^^ post #109 refers to south Jersey, as that's where the retirement villages are being built. Court situation? Courts are abundant at these places. Lots of clay courts open to the public near beaches.

atatu
03-17-2014, 07:12 PM
I thought I'd revive this thread from the dead. a friend of mine has decided to retire to Louisville, anyone know what the tennis situation is like there ?

Zolar
03-21-2014, 09:48 AM
I was in Naples this winter and at the Cambier Park it was heaven. Great weather, lots of open courts and a bulletin board packed with people looking for matches. A couple of Senior Category II tournaments in January to keep you sharp. Not sure about housing but I think in Naples proper it's expensive. That said, I wouldn't want to live there in the summer. So it's a snowbird's life for me when I get that age.

sovertennis
03-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Wife and I visited Greenville, SC. Tons of tennis there.

hray4clay
03-27-2014, 01:51 PM
I think Money magazine rated Atlanta as one of the best places to retire, and as we all know, tennis is huge there. At this point, I'm thinking of retiring there (but I'm still 15 years away from that). Also, I've heard Saint George, Utah is nice, although I'm not sure how many players are there, Vic Braden has his camp there now.

can you get a conceal/carry permit in Atlanta so you can go to the tennis courts?

hray4clay
03-27-2014, 01:52 PM

the weather in Oakland is far better than it is across the bay in San Francisco as anyone who has lived their can attest. there are plenty of tennis courts in the east bay also but just be careful where you choose to play.

hray4clay
03-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Too bad Oakland got a bad rap on this thread---I've been here 30 years and think it's tennis paradise. Best weather in the country (along with San Diego), lots of publics courts, and a facility that usually wins best public place in the country. But, I'm about to retire, and that means moving onto clay courts, which aren't around here. Florida is too hot and humid in the summer, and I don't like hurricane threats, so my choice will be Hilton Head, S.C.---tons of clay, lots of golf, and pretty good weather. (Since it's a barrier island, it almost never gets hit by a hurricane.)

??????????????????

hray4clay
03-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Thank you for your support, Stevie Ray.
For the record, Hilton Head gets brushed by a hurricane every 3.6 years.
Their average years between direct hurricane hits is 10.5 years.
Their only big hit in the last 100 years was in 1959, Hurricane Gracie, with gusts up to 138 mph, and leaving 11 inches of rain. An old-timer there told me the whole island was covered with 6 inches of water.
That's the facts, jack.

and they got creamed by Hugo in '94

hray4clay
03-27-2014, 02:25 PM
i was about to buy a house in North Carolina until i read this thread :)

I live in NC a few hundred yards from the SC border and 20 miles north of Myrtle Beach. I am retired and play on the clay in Myrtle B., weather permitting. It is hot as he## in the Summer with 95% humidity and plenty of rain and the intermittent hurricane. The last four Winters have been incredibly bad.....cold(too cold to play<45 degrees), icy, wet, and some snow too. today it is the 26th of March and the high temp was 41 and windy!! Anybody who thinks the weather here is attractive to retire to needs to think again. Warm and DRY is the ticket....not warm and stormy, etc. There are no indoor courts within 125 miles so you cannot get out of the weather even if you choose to. Clay courts are scarce in coastal North Carolina but there are a few and all private clubs. There is a little play, mostly retirees during the day until 4 or 5pm. Mostly 3.0-3.5 with a smattering of 4.0 doubles players. Thought I saw a woman under the age of 50 last week but it turned out to be a mirage...did see one last month though. Oh, and bring your own food..... Charleston and Hilton Head both have way more clay courts and edible food and also some humans without wrinkles from time to time. If I had it to do over again, I would most definitely head West of the Mississippi for warm and dry. I would start in Austin and then go to California which is a no brainer for just about every reason you can think of except traffic.

hray4clay
03-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Best place to retire is a city with good mass transit. As you get on into your retirement, the two things you may no longer be in any condition to do are drive and play tennis. Retiring to a place primarily for tennis is beyond shortsighted; you can play tennis almost anywhere.

Magnificent advice!!!

hray4clay
03-27-2014, 02:32 PM
OC. MD has nice courts but finding players interested in singles is near impossible. I have been here 2 years and drive back to Bucks County,Pa for tennis. hoping to get the hell out of here next year.

You talking about the indoor/outdoor hookup in Washington's Crossing?

hray4clay
03-27-2014, 02:37 PM

As a Jersey born and bred and a croupier for 25 years in Atlantic City I can tell you that now that I have been gone for 6 years I really really really miss it. Every thing you want or need is within reach and you can play indoors in many places to get out of the weather in the nasty Winters. Nice clay courts in Cape May too.

sovertennis
04-08-2014, 09:59 AM
As a Jersey born and bred and a croupier for 25 years in Atlantic City I can tell you that now that I have been gone for 6 years I really really really miss it. Every thing you want or need is within reach and you can play indoors in many places to get out of the weather in the nasty Winters. Nice clay courts in Cape May too.

Too many years ago, when I was just out of college, I had a summer job at an old hotel in Cape May. A buddy and I would play on those clay courts nearly every day. At the time, I thought that area of very south Jersey was the place for me, but the summer (and job) ended, and I went back to the northeast and never returned.

Now I'm looking for a place to retire where I can play more tennis. The time, it just goes by.

RobFL
05-10-2014, 08:07 PM
If you really love to play you have to retire to clay. I hit 4-6 times a week, and it is possible to hit 7 days a week on clay at 50 years old and up. I love playing tournaments on hard courts but i could only hit 2-3 days a week on hard. I live in FL but have fantasized about joining Mission Hills in Palm Springs which has clay, grass and hard. Playing on clay in 0 humidity would seemingly be heaven......

Mr.Lob
05-10-2014, 10:55 PM
I thought I'd revive this thread from the dead. a friend of mine has decided to retire to Louisville, anyone know what the tennis situation is like there ?

Lots of free public courts. 4 or 5 private clubs.... Louisville Tennis Club the biggest. Louisville Tennis Center are nice clay courts where some of the best use to play, Connors, Mcenroe, Ashe, Gilbert, Gottfried.

dr325i
05-12-2014, 06:50 AM
I live in NC a few hundred yards from the SC border and 20 miles north of Myrtle Beach. I am retired and play on the clay in Myrtle B., weather permitting. It is hot as he## in the Summer with 95% humidity and plenty of rain and the intermittent hurricane. The last four Winters have been incredibly bad.....cold(too cold to play<45 degrees), icy, wet, and some snow too. today it is the 26th of March and the high temp was 41 and windy!! Anybody who thinks the weather here is attractive to retire to needs to think again. Warm and DRY is the ticket....not warm and stormy, etc. There are no indoor courts within 125 miles so you cannot get out of the weather even if you choose to. Clay courts are scarce in coastal North Carolina but there are a few and all private clubs. There is a little play, mostly retirees during the day until 4 or 5pm. Mostly 3.0-3.5 with a smattering of 4.0 doubles players. Thought I saw a woman under the age of 50 last week but it turned out to be a mirage...did see one last month though. Oh, and bring your own food..... Charleston and Hilton Head both have way more clay courts and edible food and also some humans without wrinkles from time to time. If I had it to do over again, I would most definitely head West of the Mississippi for warm and dry. I would start in Austin and then go to California which is a no brainer for just about every reason you can think of except traffic.

Hot and dry and...not California expensive. Your answer is Dallas or Phoenix.
Dallas, being on a boring side though, is not and dry in the summer and playable almost all year around except for a few cold weeks. However, I managed to play every week at least 3-4 times per week through the icy period, indoors. More indoors courts are being built.
Phoenix is more fun, better winter weather, but summers, although extremely dry, can be challenging for tennis.
I also lived in (central and south) Florida for about 15 years and always managed to play a lot in spite of the wet weather (with exception of some days, afternoon rain in FL comes and goes within 2 hours...

Overdrive
05-12-2014, 07:12 AM
Hot and dry and...not California expensive. Your answer is Dallas or Phoenix.
Dallas, being on a boring side though, is not and dry in the summer and playable almost all year around except for a few cold weeks. However, I managed to play every week at least 3-4 times per week through the icy period, indoors. More indoors courts are being built.
Phoenix is more fun, better winter weather, but summers, although extremely dry, can be challenging for tennis.
I also lived in (central and south) Florida for about 15 years and always managed to play a lot in spite of the wet weather (with exception of some days, afternoon rain in FL comes and goes within 2 hours...

Blasphemer! I love paying high-end prices on overpriced, low-quality items!! :mad:

mrw
06-10-2014, 03:48 PM
You talking about the indoor/outdoor hookup in Washington's Crossing?

Many options in Bucks. Washington Crossing, Morrisville, those hidden away clay courts in Yardley, Frosty Hollow, Core Creek,Bucks County Community College and across the river is Mercer,and Hamilton.

kasi
07-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Best place for retirement to the tennis player is Cuba because there many groups and i think after retirement if you want to visit the place then i suggest to you the Switzerland..

SoBad
07-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Best place for retirement to the tennis player is Cuba because there many groups and i think after retirement if you want to visit the place then i suggest to you the Switzerland..

Well, what would you recommend to the folks who struggle choosing between Cuba and Switzerland?

atatu
07-08-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm in Santa Barbara this week and it's awesome here, too bad about the cost of living though....