PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gut Playtest

rasajadad
07-03-2006, 09:49 AM
My curiousity has forced me to bite the bullet. I will begin a 5 string playtest. The strings involved:
Klip Armor Pro
Pacific Tough Gut
Gamma
VS Team
Wilson Natural

All are 17 gauge. I have only three frames, so it will be an extended test. Can anyone refer me to a format in which you'd like me to report my findings? Let me know. I'm starting Thursday.

MonicaSelesRulez
07-03-2006, 10:49 AM
My curiousity has forced me to bite the bullet. I will begin a 5 string playtest. The strings involved:
Klip Armor Pro
Pacific Tough Gut
Gamma
VS Team
Wilson Natural

All are 17 gauge. I have only three frames, so it will be an extended test. Can anyone refer me to a format in which you'd like me to report my findings? Let me know. I'm starting Thursday.

Wilson Nat in 17g = VS Team in 17g

theace21
07-03-2006, 11:27 AM
How about BDE Preformance?

rasajadad
07-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Sorry about leaving out BDE, the list above is what I got.

nalbandian_fan
07-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Wilson Nat in 17g = VS Team in 17g

yep. i would take out either wilson nat or vs team cause theyre both the same and try BDE

Richie Rich
07-03-2006, 07:58 PM
the guy just dropped a bomb buying those strings so let him test them. maybe if he decides to get more gut he can test bde. maybe bow brand too.

rasajadad
07-04-2006, 02:09 AM
Here's the deal-
I have one set of the Wilson left. Was all set to buy 6 sets of the VS in an auction, but they suspended the seller leaving me too close to stringless for comfort. As I do not have a tournament for another three weeks, I decided to satisfy my curiousity generated from reading all the posts on the board here. Like Clint Eastwood (in Josey Wales,) I am just "looking for an edge" and have blown my string budget for the summer to try find a better string. I'm willing to write up my experiences and share some "demo" info out on a few strings. (Something that I couldn't research in the archives or on any other websites.)

I know I left off Bow and BDE. However, if someone would like trade (or donate!) a set of each, I'll be glad to include them.

Back to my original posted question; Is there any format in which you guys would like me to report my experiences? Let me know as I am stringing three frames tonight. I will be doing Klip, Pacific, and Wilson. As I've played the Wilson for the last 6 months, it will be my "control" string.

ThePlungerMan
07-04-2006, 08:42 AM
I too am still in my gut test. I liked the VS very much, but in my old racket it had more power, IOW (me lacking ability) than I could handle at the tension I wanted. So I went to BDE.
I really liked this in my other racket. In my new one, I got closer to a nice feeling tension yesterday. I read a lot about Klip so I bought a pack of 17. So after I think I have the right tension in my new racket Iím going to give Klip, Wilson and the VS another shot, just to be sure. I want to be sure and not wonder.
For me a true test HAS to include BDE, and some others of course. I was surprised you left out BDE. And to add to that, 16 and 17 in some strings play much differently, as in BDE.

LuckyR
07-05-2006, 04:41 PM
You're comparing apples to apples, it should be interesting. But I would put in a plug for Klip Legend to add an orange to the comparo, that would even more interesting, IMO...

rasajadad
07-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks everyone for telling me what I should have done. Sorry I'm not able to try every string out there. Anyway, here's what I've done: Unstrung and weighed all three frames.
Weight: 350 grams each unstrung.
After stringing (with Gamma Red-eye vib dampener): Klip Armor Pro- 370g.
Wilson natural- 378g.
Gamma- 374g.

Mike Danger
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
thanks, id like to know on the gamma, as i have 2 sets of the tour plus, it says made in france, so i wonder if it too is made by babolat

rasajadad
07-06-2006, 03:12 AM
Here's my experience in stringing the three sets of strings:

Packaging- Klip and Wilson come in those mylar bags. The Gamma is in a cardboard case. When you open it, there's a vacuume packed foil bag. Both the Wilson and the Klip hava the strings in one of those little zip tie things. The Gamma has a teenie tiny twist tie. The zip ties are easily clipped, but the twist tie made me nervous as I was afraid I'd nick this string if I cut or snipped it.
Stringing- (No prestretch)
Klip -felt very stiff in the stringing process. Every time I dropped the weight arm, the string would sound like I was overtightening a guitar string. Very musical! Little coil memory issues. The last couple of crosses were trying due to the relative stiffness of the string. Whiter than the other two strings.
Gamma- A breeze. In the middle on the stretchiness scale between these three. String held together well during the process. No unraveling at the end. Easily poked itself through the covered holes, e.g.
Wilson- 2nd easiest to string. More coil memory. Was most afraid of pulling a kink despite letting string relax and being careful. Had to keep trimming the end as string would fray/unwrap.

Ending weight with Gamma Redeye vibe dampener:
Klip Armor Pro- 370g.
Wilson natural- 378g.
Gamma- 374g.

Let me know if there's any questions

Jonnyf
07-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Whoa i find it iteressting how despite all being 17 (gauge) there's quite a big difference in weight. Unless ofcourse your racquets are inside pk's tolerances but are not exactly the same (please correct me if you've got them all matched.)

rasajadad
07-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Whoa i find it iteressting how despite all being 17 (gauge) there's quite a big difference in weight. Unless ofcourse your racquets are inside pk's tolerances but are not exactly the same (please correct me if you've got them all matched.)

If you missed an earlier post of mine, all three racquets began at 350 g. unstrung.

Also, I just regripped all three racquets with Babolat ATP Tour Grips (leather). Static weights dropped as follows:
With PK Leather / With Babolat Leather
Klip- 370 / 362
Wilson- 378 / 368
Gamma- 374 / 362

I think that part of the difference now (after grip changes) is how I trimmed and wrapped the replacement grips. The rest is string diffrences.

First of all, if you looked at these three strings, you could visually notice w difference. It's very obvious with the Klip as it is white. The coatings feel different between the Gamma and the Wilson as well. Also, if you look at the websites, although all these strings are 17 ga, Klip and Wilson list the string thickness as 1.25mm. The Gamma is listed as 1.27mm.

This brings up an interesting point; Most people say that the Wilson and the VS are the same, but the VS gut (I've yet to string this) is listed as 1.27mm while the Wilson is advertised at 1.25mm.

rasajadad
07-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Did a one hour break-in. A/B'd the Gamma and the Klip on groundies only. Noticably more spin generation with the Klip. Nice power in both. Little to no string movement on the Klip. I'm not surprised after how stiff it felt to string. Gamma feels softer, Klip more crisp. Gamma makes that "pock" sound when you crack one off the sweet-spot. (Damn, I love that sound!)
Will play more extensively this afternoon.

jayserinos99
07-06-2006, 10:48 AM
^ just curious, but what stringing machine do you have?

rasajadad
07-06-2006, 11:14 AM
^ just curious, but what stringing machine do you have?
I have a Klippermate. (See my signature below for the reat of my current set up.)

ambro
07-06-2006, 12:54 PM
thanks, id like to know on the gamma, as i have 2 sets of the tour plus, it says made in france, so i wonder if it too is made by babolat
Someone (I think Thomas Martinez, I can't remember for sure) said Gamma Gut was made by BDE.

rasajadad
07-07-2006, 02:14 AM
I forgot to mention, none of the strings I installed comes with a stringers' tag. Kind of sad at $35 retail / set.

rasajadad
07-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Played three sets of singles today. One with each set of strings.
Set 1) Gamma- Good touch off the ground and on volleys. Nice feel, dwell time. Makes the best sound of the three. Hitting some service returns long, though. Good topspin off the ground. Good spin on serve (slice and twist). Low string movement. 6 - 1
Set 2) Klip- Better topsin off the ground. Was even surprised that some shots dove in to the court (I thought they were going long or wide!) Best underspin (on the slice backhand.) Serve had more bite / kick. Best control of the three. Great volleying as I had a lot of touch aroung the net. Moderate string movement. 6 - 1
Set 3) Wilson- Least powerful of the three. 2nd best slice off the backhand side. Better serve placement than Gamma, but not as good as the Klip which I could really crank and still hit a spot. Low string movement. 6 - 2.
So far:
1- Klip
2- tie Wilson, Gamma

JCFsupra
12-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Once you're done with these 5, I would like to see how the winner compares with BDE and the Dendell German Natural Gut. I've played Wilson 16,17 (preferred 16 over 17) Dendell 16 and Babolat VS Touch 16 & Tonic 16. I found Touch 16 to be my fav. but the Dendell was very interesting - lively and little movement and good durability. Haven't tried BDE or Bow yet but BDE and Dendell either against your control string or final #1 would be interesting to hear your thoughts. The Dendell isn't that expensive either if I recall correctly. Up here we pay $65 for a gut string job so hunting for less expensive gut is important.