PDA

View Full Version : Pros with Glasses?

Rincon
07-03-2006, 12:03 PM
I have never seen a pro wearing glasses and was wondering if they even wear them at all on the tour.

Rhino
07-03-2006, 12:05 PM
I have never seen a pro wearing glasses and was wondering if they even wear them at all on the tour.
Arnaud Clement always seems to wear glasses, i heard he had a problem with him eyes being sensitive to sunlight.

RealityPolice
07-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Karsten Braasch.

dubsplayer
07-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Martina the First

jaykay
07-03-2006, 12:19 PM
In their past lives as touring pros, Bille Jean King, Navratilova and a few others used to wear glasses.

Lately, contact lenses can correct all kinds of vision (myopia, astigmatism etc) and offer better peripheral vision than glasses, which is important in sports such as tennis. Hence it is highly unlikely that we'll see a current pro wearing glasses... would defly be a rare occurence.

Mikael
07-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Guillaume Raoux

Jonnyf
07-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Janko Tipsarevic

Rincon
07-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Janko Tipsarevic

I saw him in the match against Roddick w/o glasses.

HollerOne5
07-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Mary Pierce used to wear glasses back in the day, and she looked a fright with them on....

Rincon
07-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Not too many? Geez, I wear 'em because I'm not allowed to wear contacts (another crazy ruling by my parents) so I have to come out looking like this.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/RinconValley/Picture.jpg

Really intimidating.

Rincon
07-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Not too many? Geez, I wear 'em because I'm not allowed to wear contacts (another crazy ruling by my parents) so I have to come out looking like this.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/RinconValley/Picture.jpg

Really intimidating.

I just noticed I have HUGE pupils.

Django
07-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Arthur Ashe.

Freedom
07-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Moi.

I'm willing to bet professional tennis players can afford contacts. ;)

Jonnyf
07-03-2006, 03:28 PM
I saw him in the match against Roddick w/o glasses.

Yeah ano. But go to Davis Cup 2006 vs. GB pics. I saw him from second row wearing oakley glasses

Verbal_Kint
07-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Are those multi-focal glasses already? You're quite young for that, aren't you? I'm nearsighted and I hate that already..

Rincon
07-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Are those multi-focal glasses already? You're quite young for that, aren't you? I'm nearsighted and I hate that already..

Besides that, I've had problems with my kidneys, have had a root canal :mad: and have some joint problems, so I'm like a geriatric and only 14.

Verbal_Kint
07-04-2006, 01:27 AM
bummer.. good luck. (says me, with my broken wrist, pinky, and a small hernia all before the age of 20 ;))

danieljss
07-04-2006, 03:06 AM
i wear glasses, but tried some contact lenses a while ago and have to say something felt different. Seemed to time the ball better. Is there any evidence to suggest wearing contacts gives you a better perspective / performance when timing the ball?

thanks

Dan

Rincon
07-04-2006, 03:18 AM
I've put on a pair maybe twice, results were great :D

Playtest: Glasses v. Contact Lenses

Initial Response:

The glasses were clunky and not very manuverable. I can easily see the black frame and the anoyance of them slipping down was almost unbearable.

The lenses alowed me to view the court fully and not have to worry if they were damaged.

The Bad:

The glasses were heavy and had to be pushed up on the bridge.

The lenses started to dry and required eye drops.

Overall: The lenses were obviously superior but putting them in and taking them out was painful. The glasses are fine, but they are a cheap solution to a big problem.

Specs:

Glasses Lenses

Stiffness: 0 (Bendable kind) 20
Weight: 1-2 oz. 0 (or close to it)
Overall: 79 95

Verbal_Kint
07-04-2006, 03:53 AM
Glasses are perfect only if you look through the exact center of the glass. Everywhere else there is distortion.

jaykay
07-04-2006, 07:35 AM
i wear glasses, but tried some contact lenses a while ago and have to say something felt different. Seemed to time the ball better. Is there any evidence to suggest wearing contacts gives you a better perspective / performance when timing the ball?

thanks

Dan

Danieljss: I moved from glasses to contact lens after about 25 years of wearing glasses. After an initial acclimitization phase (irritating 'foreign-body' sensation in the eye), my experience has been nothing but great so far. I must mention that I'm a high myopic with astigmatism.

Contact lens technology has made HUGE strides in recent years and are extremely comfortable as compared to the old contact lenses from just a few years ago.

I know of high-school / college - level athletes (basketball/tennis) who wear contact lenses.

My doctor has told me that depth perception and peripheral vision is much better in a contact lens setup, as compared to glasses.

It may be all in the head, but just like you, I seemed to time the ball better and have much fewer mishits after I switched to contacts!

Good luck!

jaykay
07-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Glasses are perfect only if you look through the exact center of the glass. Everywhere else there is distortion.

This is true. Thus, glasses actually offer better vision if you are just reading or working on the computer, but contacts may be better for sports.

jaykay
07-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Good post, Rincon. I agree...

rrhstennis
07-04-2006, 08:36 AM
I just noticed I have HUGE pupils.

Are you kidding me bro? I see one spot. Big whooptee do, I wake up with a new spot like that every day. :) Not a big deal my friend.

I wore glasses when I first started playing. I have to say it did seem like I played better when I got my contacts. Why, I have no idea, however.