PDA

View Full Version : My First Gut Main & Poly Cross Results

TennisProPaul
07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Ok I had to try this as this is what Federer uses.

I did Grandslam gut 15L mains & Luxilon Ace 18g cross, both at 60lbs on a babalot cp machine in my POG OS (Prince Origional Graphite)

Just before I hit i put string savers in, as I wanted it to last.

This gut main poly cross gave me about 15% more power instantly.

The string had a pop sound and feel I have never felt before. My racquet felt sooo flexable.

My volleys felt like I was edberg. wow ohh wow the volleys felt amazing!!!!!!!!

My ground strokes were almost to hard to control.

My spinn was decent, but not more spin then with full poly.

My serve was booming like becker!!!

I dont want to put the gut in the cross as its so dam hard to string. i like the gut in the mains, but have not tried it in the cross.

I will string 5lbs tighter to 65 mains and cross.

Does that sound like a good idea or with my POG oversize should I string the poly cross tighter or looser? Whatever I do i need to tighten up the string bed as I had trouble controling the power.

I love the feel, but with the extra power I could not go for my shots. i hope the extra tension will help.

Any ideas on the tension, cross string, or string savers???

Thanks for any help.

th41291
07-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Tension should go up if you can't control it. One moment, Federer uses:

Wilson Natural Gut 16 Mains
Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 16L

TennisProPaul
07-03-2006, 02:16 PM
yeah i will have to up the tension to at least 65 lbs but since this is on the 107 oversize thats not that much.

i will next do the grand slam gut 15L main with either og sheep micro 18g cross or enduro pro cross

Q. Is it better to put the string savers in after I have hit with the string some or will it hurt anything if I put in the SSavers right away after stringing??

Q. Any diff in tension for the mains and cross for this frame and set up with gut?

thanks

volleyman
07-03-2006, 09:06 PM
When you add string savers seems to be a matter of personal preference. I have heard that Fed. has them put in before the racquet is used. Many folks here wait until they see the gut starting to fray or notch before adding them.

I've done it both ways and don't see much of a difference.

scotus
07-03-2006, 10:02 PM
I would recommend upping the tension on the gut and leaving the poly as loose as you can handle it. This would be best for your arm health.