PDA

View Full Version : Nadal looks unstoppable!

allez
07-03-2006, 03:53 PM
I am not surprised if Nadal wins Wimby. The man is an animal (in a good sense, OK) when he hits the ball. Forget about clay or grass. He hits that ball with so much power and spin and he seems to be able to run down everything. He plays better as the game lasts longer. He will physically beat up anyone even though he is one dimensional. Fed has the game to beat Nadal on any surface, but after the 4-5 consecutive bashing this yr, I doubt if Fed can believe he can beat Nadal, even on grass.

FEDEXP
07-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Well that "even on grass" caveat is a rather large one. The simple truth is that everyone stops, eventually.

8PAQ
07-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I am not surprised if Nadal wins Wimby. The man is an animal (in a good sense, OK) when he hits the ball. Forget about clay or grass. He hits that ball with so much power and spin and he seems to be able to run down everything. He plays better as the game lasts longer. He will physically beat up anyone even though he is one dimensional. Fed has the game to beat Nadal on any surface, but after the 4-5 consecutive bashing this yr, I doubt if Fed can believe he can beat Nadal, even on grass.

I totally agree. I mean if a 166 ranked overweight guy who lost in the 1st round of 8 out of 9 challengers events he played at the start of this year can't stop Nadal then who possibly can?

dh003i
07-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Nadal looks "unstoppable"? Why, because he's playing such great grass-court tennis? No. He's playing average grass-court tennis, and is struggling to win every match.

The only one who's unstoppable at Wimbledon is Federer. When you've won every match without even losing a set, and have only lost serve once, then you're unstoppable. Ancic will be a tougher test for Federer than a possible Nadal final.

Talk about wishful thinking from Nadal fanboys. Federer is two or three times better than anyone else out there on grass. And it shows in the game-scores too.

tlm
07-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Nadal looks pretty good considering this is his worst surface.But he doent look unstoppable by no means.I dont think he will get to the finals,+ if he does i think fed will beat him.

Marat Safinator
07-03-2006, 04:45 PM
grass isnt grass anymore, its like green clay.

AAAA
07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Sunday cannot come soon enough.

Freedom
07-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Looks can be deceiving. Federer is unstoppable.

dubsplayer
07-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing him how well he does against someone who actually is a really good grass court player. His draw so far has been ridiculously easy. And that includes Andre - who truth be told is just a shell of his former shelf and never had a prayer against most of the draw, let alone Rafa. And even if he gets to the final I still don't see him beating Roger.

VamosRafa
07-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Nadal looks "unstoppable"? Why, because he's playing such great grass-court tennis? No. He's playing average grass-court tennis, and is struggling to win every match.

Did you watch the last two matches? I don't call serving up lots of aces and never facing a breakpoint "struggling to win"!

Phil
07-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Did you watch the last two matches? I don't call serving up lots of aces and never facing a breakpoint "struggling to win"!

But who has he played? No one...yet. He's had one sweet draw. Let's wait until the trophy presentation until we award "Rafa" his first Wimbledon title.

bagung
07-03-2006, 06:22 PM
nadal is playing better & better in grass... nadal will beat fed in grass sooner than fed can adapt clay court.... beware fed, your time is over

VamosRafa
07-03-2006, 06:25 PM
For the record, have I given Rafa his first Wimbledon title? As I said before, I thought I'd be at the beach this week instead of doing Nadal updates to the site.

I'm thrilled he got to the QF, because I think this is going to give him a lot more confidence on faster surfaces.

Freedom
07-03-2006, 06:27 PM
nadal is playing better & better in grass... nadal will beat fed in grass sooner than fed can adapt clay court.... beware fed, your time is over

Wow. Are you aware that Federer is the second best clay court player in the world?

Simon Cowell
07-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Wow. Are you aware that Federer is the second best clay court player in the world?

That's kind of a deceptive statement. Technically he may be, but Nadal is 10,000 leagues ahead of anyone on clay. Nadal has no trouble beating Federer on a hard court...... the grass will be interesting but I fully expect Nadal to beat Federer on any surface, be it grass or otherwise.

Rickson
07-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Nice troll thread. I really hope Nadal can make it to the final so Federer can crush Nadal.

Simon Cowell
07-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Nice troll thread. I really hope Nadal can make it to the final so Federer can crush Nadal.

The only troll here is you. His post was perfectly legit. Quit trying to pick on someone with a different viewpoint.

doriancito
07-03-2006, 06:56 PM
yeah he is hitting the ball pretty good for grass, still has that spin that federer will take advantage of here and hit it harder.

emcee
07-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Nadal has gone pretty far, but c'mon. If Fed played those 3 no-names plus a 36 year old Agassi, no one would be talking about how talented Kendrick is. Fed would've mopped the floor with them.

If Nadal faced Gasquet and Henman the first two rounds, well I'm not sure he'd be in the quarters. The way Fed completely dominated Henman was scary.

MikeMcKenzie
07-03-2006, 08:05 PM
All Great Points.....remember Though.....fed Gets Shaky Against Rafa!!!!

bluescreen
07-03-2006, 08:16 PM
but they're never played on grass before. it would be very interesting to see these 2 play on grass.

quest01
07-03-2006, 08:21 PM
I think Nadal has a good chance in making it the final, but beating Federer would be a tough task. I dont see that happening. It should take him 2-3 years for Nadal to master grass.

dh003i
07-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Nadal will never master grass. He's not like Federer. Doesn't have an all-around game. Doesn't have all of the shots. He isn't precision shot-maker like Federer. His game just doesn't transfer well to grass.

Like above poster (emcee) said, if Nadal had Federer's draw, he probably wouldn't be here. As it is, Nadal had a ridiculously easy draw. Federer had the toughest draw (which is fair, he's the #1), and he's destroyed everyone.

The best game Nadal's played on grass so-far wouldn't beat the worst game of Federer on grass over the past 3 years.

But hey, I'm all for Nadal getting to the Wimbledon. Federer is just too good on grass -- arguably one of the best ever, right up there with Sampras -- and would completely destroy him. It would be great for his confidence in future matches against Nadal.

Think about what some of these Nadal fanboys have been saying. Federer is a grass-court player of the calibre of Sampras -- that is, arguably the best ever on grass. Does anyone really think Nadal could beat Sampras on grass? Sampras would completely destroy him; and so will Federer, if they play.

fastdunn
07-03-2006, 08:37 PM
What Nadal has shown so far at Wimbledon 2006 is
that he is very vulnerable on grass.

But it's amazing to see him getting better game by game.
He already showed some new faces of his games
(while proved his expected short comings are there...)

Rickson
07-03-2006, 08:38 PM
The only troll here is you. His post was perfectly legit. Quit trying to pick on someone with a different viewpoint.
You might as well quit trying to hype up Nadal. Nadal is a good clay court player, but he can't beat a quality grass court player. Ancic, Roddick, and obviously Federer could all beat Nadal on grass as well as hard courts.

dh003i
07-03-2006, 08:40 PM
fastdunn,

Or maybe some of that apparent improvement comes from having the easiest draw.

Chang
07-03-2006, 08:51 PM
OK, Nadal is in the quarter finals thanks to an easy draw. If Nadal had to face Gasquet, Henman, Mahut and Berdych, there is no way he'd make the quarters. He should be grateful for the draw that he's got. I mean 3 unknowns and a 36 year old Agassi. It's probably rigged.

textbook strokes
07-03-2006, 08:52 PM
It's really funny the way Fed fans don't want him just to defeat Nadal. They want him to "destroy", "kill" or "beat his ss" :mrgreen: .
Why this hatred?. I admire Fed, but this kind of talk make me root for Rafa :-| .

dh003i
07-03-2006, 09:00 PM
textbook,

(1) I don't like Nadal's gamesmanship and massive amount of time between points, which I consider cheating.

(2) I don't like him whining about being asked to abide by the rules.

(3) I don't like his constant "Vamos's". All 3 of these are things that classy players like Sampras and Federer didn't do when they were 19/20.

(4) I really dislike many Nadal fans, who have this stupid idea that somehow Nadal's really the best player in the world (despite ranking, ATP race, and grand slams). I also can't stand many of their stupid posts, which say dumb things like Federer will be knocked out early at Wimbledon.

Thus, primarily, I want Federer to destroy Nadal in the Wimbledon finals to shut these stupid fans up.

Chang
07-03-2006, 09:19 PM

Fed will adapt to clay faster than Nadal can adapt on grass. He's reached 3 clay finals and has won Hamburg.

punch
07-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Now that a few of my favs are gone, I also hope Nadal reaches the final so he can lose to Federer in straights.

Xanataos
07-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Nadal still has problem returning faster serves, so Roger should have no problem winning as his serve is really lethal in grass.

Saito
07-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Taken from Wimbledon official site:

"Roger Federer stands three victories away from a fourth Wimbledon title and with it, a place alongside the greats of the game. He has also extended his run of consecutive wins on grass to 45, and currently looks unbeatable. He has yet to drop a set at this year’s Championships.

Obviously very much at ease with himself, Federer declared his most recent outing on Centre Court was not his best match, but was glad to have had an easy day after recording a comfortable 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 victory over Tomas Berdych, the player he beat in the Halle final, for the loss of a set.

“The first couple of matches [we played] were much better than this, but that may have had something to do with his shoulder,” Federer said. “He was struggling with it and it bothered him on his serve. When I won the second set I knew I was through and it would be just a matter of time before I got the final break.”

Federer was very comfortable on the court, a court he says has become “a little bit slippery, but I guess that is normal with the heat we’ve had. They have changed over the weekend, they are drier and the bounce is a little higher and I had to make a few adjustments.”

Federer seemed to be unphased by the prospect of playing Mario Ancic, the last man to have beaten him on grass, in the next round. Giving the matter some brief thought, he said: “Ancic has grass court expertise... It’s going to be a tough match.” But the Swiss star is very confident of his ability on grass, a factor which shines through every time he appears on court. For instance, he knows he can beat anyone off the baseline, especially on grass. “I know exactly how to play on grass,” he affirmed.

But then a certain Spaniard is lurking in the bottom half of the draw, a player who has inflicted several defeats on the defending champion. “It’s not all me and him, you know,” Federer declared, “even though the attention was focused on us during the clay court season when we played in three finals and before that, in the final of Dubai.

“Obviously meeting on grass would be interesting,” Federer continued. “We don’t know how good he is [on this surface]. He’s had a pretty good draw even though Andre Agassi is a tough player. If he made the final, that would be quite a surprise to many, even though he is such a good player and you would expect him to.”"

Written by Henry Wancke

link: http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2006-07-03/200607031151952243031.html

Saito
07-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Sorry, but I felt I should double post because the article seemed big... and please don't take my above post out of context people. I simply highlighted what Roger's thoughts on Nadal were.

Here are mine:

Rafa is doing alot better on this surface than I expected for sure. Improvement on serve was a plus, as Vamos was quick to point out. However, it was a pushover of a draw (yes, IMO even Agassi... getting way too old... since when does the legendary player lose like that???) and as someone had pointed out earlier, had he the tougher draw I don't see him in the final 8. Interesting though, if he would happen to make it to the final, it may even jitter Fed a little (not enough but it should be a surprise...). Overall good for his confidence, I'm sure, but not enough IMO.

Should he win this year would be unbelievable. As for the future, predicting anything would be a little tough because it's not like Federer is going anywhere either. A problem I think in these boards is that the Fed fans act like the Nadal fans are saying Federer is through with (and some actually do say that...) but I really think that for the most part they are just saying the domination of Federer is over and that there are going to be some interesting matches in the near future. At least that's what I think...

chess9
07-03-2006, 10:09 PM
I totally agree. I mean if a 166 ranked overweight guy who lost in the 1st round of 8 out of 9 challengers events he played at the start of this year can't stop Nadal then who possibly can?

Bwuahahahaha!! Stop it, already, I'm cramping here.
:)

Not to mention, Kendrick.

Let's see how Nadal plays against Bags or Hewitt, if he gets that far.

-Robert

janipyt05
07-03-2006, 10:57 PM
aint that something rafa in the quaters of the grass

Rafa may not be winning easy or pretty but a win is win who would have thought rafa could be in the quarter os a grass court slam. I just think the courts have changed its easier for the like of rafa to play on grass, he gets down low but generally the ball sits up and the courts are playing like a hard court, its really hot here in london so the grass has dried out.

artworks
07-03-2006, 11:29 PM
But then a certain Spaniard is lurking in the bottom half of the draw, a player who has inflicted several defeats on the defending champion. “It’s not all me and him, you know,” Federer declared, “even though the attention was focused on us during the clay court season when we played in three finals and before that, in the final of Dubai.

“Obviously meeting on grass would be interesting,” Federer continued. “We don’t know how good he is [on this surface]. He’s had a pretty good draw even though Andre Agassi is a tough player. If he made the final, that would be quite a surprise to many, even though he is such a good player and you would expect him to.”"

Federer will freeze once more in front of a this lurking Spaniard in the bottom half of the draw, if ever they meet at Wimbledon Final.

HollerOne5
07-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Nadal will never master grass. He's not like Federer. Doesn't have an all-around game. Doesn't have all of the shots. He isn't precision shot-maker like Federer. His game just doesn't transfer well to grass.

Like above poster (emcee) said, if Nadal had Federer's draw, he probably wouldn't be here. As it is, Nadal had a ridiculously easy draw. Federer had the toughest draw (which is fair, he's the #1), and he's destroyed everyone.

The best game Nadal's played on grass so-far wouldn't beat the worst game of Federer on grass over the past 3 years.

But hey, I'm all for Nadal getting to the Wimbledon. Federer is just too good on grass -- arguably one of the best ever, right up there with Sampras -- and would completely destroy him. It would be great for his confidence in future matches against Nadal.

Think about what some of these Nadal fanboys have been saying. Federer is a grass-court player of the calibre of Sampras -- that is, arguably the best ever on grass. Does anyone really think Nadal could beat Sampras on grass? Sampras would completely destroy him; and so will Federer, if they play.

I love responding to your posts more than anyone's because they are THAT ridiculous. For one thing, anyone could master grass, no matter their current technique. Techniques and mindsets on different surfaces can change throughout a players career. Its called practice practice practice, obviously you've probably never done much of that.

Again, you throw in your obsessions with Federer, claiming he is so good and one of the best ever, and discredit Nadal by saying his draw has been ridiculously easy. And even if Nadal made it to the final, you would discredit him because he has an easy draw, and because grass supposedly isn't grass anymore. Nothing will make you happy, and you are why I'm starting to think the majority of Federer fans are crazy, but its probably just you.

It's not Nadal's fault that people can't hold up to their seeding on his side of the draw, just like it has never been Federer's fault in previous grand slam tourneys (trust me, he has had quite easy draws as well). But, for you to right that Nadal would be completely crushed by Federer in the final, is just funny. You know very well that Nadal would have a better chance to beat Federer in the final than anyone else remaining in the draw.

urban
07-04-2006, 05:33 AM
When Federer beat a 35,5 year old Agassi, who had 3 or 4 five-setters in his legs, at USO, some said, it was the greatest win ever. Lets be honest: Nadal has an easy draw on grass, but Federer has also an easy draw, given the poor state of mens grass court tennis. He beat a bunch of old and young nervous guys plus one scared and injured (Berdych). The lone challenge came from a qualifier (Mahut), who had never won a majors match before.

phat
07-04-2006, 06:08 AM
Nadal is on dope???

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2508656

Roforot
07-04-2006, 06:08 AM
When Federer beat a 35,5 year old Agassi, who had 3 or 4 five-setters in his legs, at USO, some said, it was the greatest win ever. Lets be honest: Nadal has an easy draw on grass, but Federer has also an easy draw, given the poor state of mens grass court tennis. He beat a bunch of old and young nervous guys plus one scared and injured (Berdych). The lone challenge came from a qualifier (Mahut), who had never won a majors match before.

A year's made a big difference in Agassi. I think he pushed as hard as he could to make that US Open final. His body has not recoverred and he's basically been injured since the Masters in Shanghai. Nadal beat up on a weakened/worn out Agassi. Besides that he's not really faced any good grass court players on the level of Gasquet, Ancic, or Henman. Having said this though I am very impressed by how Nadal's stepped up his game! But let's live on Planet Earth now... there's no way Federer's draw was *easier* than Nadals! If it looks easy to you, it may be because Fed's raised his grass court game :)

Morrissey
07-04-2006, 06:48 AM

I see that the blindfolds (denial) have purposely been put on. For someone that was supposed to struggle on grass, he's looked like it was never a problem. I would safely say that he's on his way to the SF easily. If he beats Hewitt, then I would seriously consider him winning Wimby, I'm not sure Fed wants to run into this guy in the final again. It's obvious that the intimidation factor is there, that's the truth.

dubsplayer
07-04-2006, 06:51 AM
A year's made a big difference in Agassi. I think he pushed as hard as he could to make that US Open final. His body has not recoverred and he's basically been injured since the Masters in Shanghai. Nadal beat up on a weakened/worn out Agassi. Besides that he's not really faced any good grass court players on the level of Gasquet, Ancic, or Henman. Having said this though I am very impressed by how Nadal's stepped up his game! But let's live on Planet Earth now... there's no way Federer's draw was *easier* than Nadals! If it looks easy to you, it may be because Fed's raised his grass court game :)

Well said.

Morrissey
07-04-2006, 06:53 AM

Didn't Federer struggle for a bit against the supposedly "old" Agassi in the U.S. Open final last year? For a set and a half Agassi outplayed him. He was also coming off 3 straight 5 setters. I don't recall the fans saying anything about beating a washed up old player. They called it one of his greatest victories. There's definitely a double standard here. When Nadal beats Agassi on grass nonetheless, age is a factor. But when Fed beats the same guy 9 months earlier on hard court it's a great victory. I understand the Nadal fans bewilderment with the Fed fans, there's a serious case of jealousy going on these boards.

Babblelot
07-04-2006, 06:57 AM
I totally agree. I mean if a 166 ranked overweight guy who lost in the 1st round of 8 out of 9 challengers events he played at the start of this year can't stop Nadal then who possibly can?lol

End of Thread :p :p

urban
07-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Has Nadal not beaten the then o so great Agassi at Canadian open in straight sets 3 and 3 before?

Babblelot
07-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Has Nadal not beaten the then o so great Agassi at Canadian open in straight sets 3 and 3 before?
Didn't 35 y/o Agassi have to hobble around for three sets at 2005 RG, then make it to 2005 USO F? How much tennis had Agassi played leading up to 2005 USO? How much tennis had Agassi played coming into 2006 Wimby? Was it 10 matches? Didn't he lose his 1R match to Henman in his warm-up to Wimby? Aren't you comparing apples to oranges?

(...There's a theme there; the last question is rhetorical)

newrevolution
07-04-2006, 07:38 AM
really, has anyone looked at the comp played by either, and researched their respective records? nadals draw was 10X easier. as well as having all the serve and volley players (fed), all of the dangerous players were somehow not in his draw (nadal)? its a fabricated draw, if their ever was one!!! andre is a shell of hiself, and in that state he was able to play nadal tough for a set and tiebreak, with no tennis in the last 3 months?!! he was sharp going into the USO!! he was not sharp here. he hasnt played much grass tennis in the last 3 years due to recurring injury (old). get off it already. do some research before you speak of easy draws............ fed will play guys from beginning to end with exemplary grass court performances and weapons. only weapon nadal has faced is labadze and his gut bouncing out of control...........

urban
07-04-2006, 07:41 AM
All the serve and volleyers? Who else than Ancic? 35 old doubles player Bjorkman? What did Mac say: Lets get serious.

bluescreen
07-04-2006, 08:23 AM
i have a say, ive been fairly impressed w/ nadal this tournament, no matter who he's been playing. he's been able to flatten out his groundies pretty well and his serve has been excellent lately. i think he faced like no break points for 2 matches or something. nevertheless, we'll really see how good he is on grass if he takes on a real challenge like hewitt.

Simon Cowell
07-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Nadal will dispose of Hewitt much like he should have in Queens. If you watched that match, you knew who the better player was. Unfortunate circumstances.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-04-2006, 08:29 AM
I watched that match, and Hewitt was TOTALLY in control of it.
He will 100% defeat Nadal if they meet, and Marcos will be the favorite if he does play Nadal.
If HEwitt meets Nadal and loses, I will leave this forum even though Hewitt won't lose.

Simon Cowell
07-04-2006, 08:32 AM
If HEwitt meets Nadal and loses, I will leave this forum even though Hewitt won't lose.

Get ready to pack your bags, charlie.

bluescreen
07-04-2006, 08:37 AM
i also think hewitt has this match locked. besides that kendrick scare, nadal hasnt really faced a good opponent yet, while hewitt has had his share of tough matches this wimbledon. i think nadal will be slowly overwhelmed by the step up in opposition if he makes it to the semis. but hey, u never know whats gonna happen.

ATXtennisaddict
07-04-2006, 08:55 AM
The fact of the matter is, the king of grass will want to seek revenge against the king of clay.

Babblelot
07-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Wait a minute, there's a guy named Nieminen who will pizz all over this parade.

malakas
07-04-2006, 08:59 AM
And if Jarkko wins,he will make it to the top ten over Roddick!

127mph
07-04-2006, 06:44 PM
in all fairness rafa wouldnt be this far had people like ivan, roddick, and others not been knocked out so quick, although i admit rafas serve has gotten bigger and he is hitting flatter. but i dont know, hes just suqeezing out every match.

Simon Cowell
07-04-2006, 06:47 PM
in all fairness rafa wouldnt be this far had people like ivan, roddick, and others not been knocked out so quick, although i admit rafas serve has gotten bigger and he is hitting flatter. but i dont know, hes just suqeezing out every match.

It's not that difficult a concept to understand - He (Nadal) is the best player in the world. He is able to adapt to all surfaces. People should have learned this after he disposed of Federer on the FAST courts of DUBAI. If Rafael had played the Australian, we'd be talkin about a Nadal 4-Slam year this year.

mileslong
07-04-2006, 06:51 PM
For the record, have I given Rafa his first Wimbledon title? As I said before, I thought I'd be at the beach this week instead of doing Nadal updates to the site.
why dont you go to the beach and start enjoying a normal life instead that of a middle aged woman who is so obsessed with a young man that she devotes her life to his fanclub than to her own family. i just dont get it...

Breaker
07-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Nadalgirl26 I knew you'd come back! How are you?

Anyway if Nadal can get by both Jarrko and (presumably) Hewitt then I'd be very surprised. I don't really see it happening and also would be ticked if Nadal beat Hewitt. Of course I think Nadal has a better chance of pushing Roger than Hewitt, Baghdatis, or Niemenin do solely because of the mental edge he has going in.

Anyone think that Roger has a chance at being upset?

Rickson
07-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Nadal is on dope???

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2508656
Everyone knows Nadal is juicing.

K!ck5w3rvE
07-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Its just interesting that all the Nadal-haters and Fed-fans say that Nadal can only play on clay....well, he isn't going to win Wimbledon (I'm a Nadal fan, but I know that Fed has got it won, barring injury), but it shows the threat he is going to be on hardcourt as well. I mean, if he has improved his game this much for the faster courts (as of last year, where he was hopeless), then it will make for some great hardcourt competition, where Nadal has appeared stronger than Fed anyway. I mean, the record is 1-1, but the time Federer won, he came back from 2 sets and a break to win in 5, so Rafa is clearly presently a tough challenge on courts other than clay to Fed from now on. Maybe not Wimbledon this year or next, but on the hardcourts this year and maybe grass sometime in the future...

fallen.
07-04-2006, 10:14 PM
he did split sets with hewitt after all..
give the man credit

fastdunn
07-05-2006, 12:16 AM
fastdunn,

Or maybe some of that apparent improvement comes from having the easiest draw.

If you are a tennis player, you should know the improvements
he is making regardless of how easy draw he is having..

Ztalin
07-05-2006, 12:29 AM
he did split sets with hewitt after all..
give the man credit

I don't know if Hewitt's game matches up well against Nadal's. He plays way too defensive; and doesn't have the weapons to be a huge threat against Nadal. He needs to play extremely well to beat him. I want to see Nadal against Ancic or Baghdatis, or someone similar.

fastdunn
07-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Everyone knows Nadal is juicing.

You know you CAN get sued over your online posting.
I think in worst case, you can also get investigated for
a criminal charge. Don't know the legal terms here...

typingchamp
07-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Its just interesting that all the Nadal-haters and Fed-fans say that Nadal can only play on clay....well, he isn't going to win Wimbledon (I'm a Nadal fan, but I know that Fed has got it won, barring injury), but it shows the threat he is going to be on hardcourt as well. I mean, if he has improved his game this much for the faster courts (as of last year, where he was hopeless), then it will make for some great hardcourt competition, where Nadal has appeared stronger than Fed anyway. I mean, the record is 1-1, but the time Federer won, he came back from 2 sets and a break to win in 5, so Rafa is clearly presently a tough challenge on courts other than clay to Fed from now on. Maybe not Wimbledon this year or next, but on the hardcourts this year and maybe grass sometime in the future...

The record is 2-1. Nadal won in Miami and Dubai. Federer won in Miami (in their finals rematch from the year previous). And yes, Rafa was a few points away from being 7-0 against Federer, and 3-0 on hardcourts.

35ft6
07-05-2006, 04:07 AM
Jarkko should pose a stern test to Nadal. He took a set off him on clay this year, and he's a lefty, which means Nadal's kick crosscourt forehand can't bother him as much. If Nadal wins, especially in straight sets, it will be very impressive.

BabolatFan
07-05-2006, 08:05 AM
I think it is Federer who's unstoppable against top-seeded players so far. Nadal's unstoppable so far coz he's fast and fit but has yet to defeat any top seed. Let's see him against Jarrko.

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 08:12 AM
he does does'nt he but i still think tht federer will demolish him and if he doesnt and nadal beats fed in the final of wimbledon then i hav feeling tht federer may consider retirement as he has lost to nadal on his best surface.

emcee
07-05-2006, 08:58 AM
he does does'nt he but i still think tht federer will demolish him and if he doesnt and nadal beats fed in the final of wimbledon then i hav feeling tht federer may consider retirement as he has lost to nadal on his best surface.

Back and as intelligent as ever huh?

The only player that I know of retired because he lost to a specific player was John McEnroe when he lost to Brad Gilbert. And he HATED the guy and had ZERO respect for him. Plus, he only left for a few months. Also, McEnroe is just a wack guy overall.

I think in the 0.01% chance that Nadal gets to the finals and beats Roger, Fed will say "Congrats!" and move on. He'll be pretty ****ed for sure, but he wouldn't show it and he definitely wouldn't retire.

Arafel
07-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Back and as intelligent as ever huh?

The only player that I know of retired because he lost to a specific player was John McEnroe when he lost to Brad Gilbert. And he HATED the guy and had ZERO respect for him. Plus, he only left for a few months. Also, McEnroe is just a wack guy overall.

I think in the 0.01% chance that Nadal gets to the finals and beats Roger, Fed will say "Congrats!" and move on. He'll be pretty ****ed for sure, but he wouldn't show it and he definitely wouldn't retire.

Actually, Borg retired because he lost to McEnroe in the 81 Wimbledon and U.S Open finals, and the latter wasn't even close. Actually, he lost to McEnroe in 3 straight GS finals, and should have lost the 80 Wimbledon as well.

Having said that, Federer won't retire if he loses to Nadal. For one thing, when both Borg and McEnroe retired after their losses, you could tell they were seriously burnt out; Fed gives no such indication.

The Pusher Terminator
07-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Actually, Borg retired because he lost to McEnroe in the 81 Wimbledon and U.S Open finals, and the latter wasn't even close. Actually, he lost to McEnroe in 3 straight GS finals, and should have lost the 80 Wimbledon as well.

Having said that, Federer won't retire if he loses to Nadal. For one thing, when both Borg and McEnroe retired after their losses, you could tell they were seriously burnt out; Fed gives no such indication.

Borg did PARTLY retire because of Mcenroe. I covered that in another string which has since been deleted by Fed fan loving censors. But thats another story.

If Nadal should upset Fed then I predict Fed will retire. Borg said something like ...after being #1 for so long I just couldnt deal with being number 2.

We all know how incredibly huge Feds ego is....he will crack and hang it up. He will crack the same way his countrymate Hingis did with some BS injury.

The tennis guy
07-05-2006, 09:55 AM
I mean, if he has improved his game this much for the faster courts (as of last year, where he was hopeless), then it will make for some great hardcourt competition, where Nadal has appeared stronger than Fed anyway.

Where did you get the idea Nadal has appeared stronger than Fed on hardcourt? Federer is 28-1 on hardcourt, Nadal is 11-3 this year. On faster hardcourts after Wimbldeon (hardcourts are slower in the spring than in summer), it is not just Federer vs Nadal one on one. Federer will be there at the final while Nadal is a lot more susceptible to be upset like at Cincinatti and US Open last year. Nadal was even upset on slow hardcourt Indian Wells and Miami this year. They haven't played on any fast hardcourts against each other yet - Nadal lost early in Cincinatti and US Open when both of them entered last year.

Virtuous
07-05-2006, 09:57 AM
If Nadal should upset Fed then I predict Fed will retire. Borg said something like ...after being #1 for so long I just couldnt deal with being number 2.

We all know how incredibly huge Feds ego is....he will crack and hang it up. He will crack the same way his countrymate Hingis did with some BS injury.
And we all know how credible and unbiased your predictions/analysis anything federer related are

The tennis guy
07-05-2006, 10:01 AM
If you are a tennis player, you should know the improvements
he is making regardless of how easy draw he is having..

For sure he is improving - he is attacking a lot more than he used to. However, I don't think it is dramatic improvement though. So far he has played players who are significantly slower than he is. We can know his real improvement if he plays against players who plays well on faster surface, also moves well. Also the hot dry weather makes the grass even slower and bounces higher. Jim Courier did get to final with similar condition one year, but never came close after.

The Pusher Terminator
07-05-2006, 10:12 AM
And we all know how credible and unbiased your predictions/analysis anything federer related are

Whatever you think my bias is , my predictions have all been right, I predicted Fed would lose the French for two years now. I also predicted that Fed will win wimby...unless Nadal makes it to the final.

dh003i
07-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Pusher,

Oh please, your predictions were that Federer wouldn't even do well on clay; well, he's the 2nd best clay-courter. Predicting that Nadal will win the FO somehow makes you good? Yea, that's a real tough one -- predicting that the best clay-courter will win the FO. Wow.

As for Federer and Nadal at the Wimbledon, you just can't seem to accept that Nadal simply isn't anywhere near as good as Federer on grass. He's struggled greatly against a bunch of lowly ranked players. Federer meanwhile has steamrolled over some great grass-court players, and hasn't even lost a set yet.

If Nadal faces Federer at Wimbledon, the result will be the same as it has for every other match of Federer's at Wimbledon this year: a victory for Federer in straight sets. I wouldn't be surprised if he bageled Nadal, either.

HollerOne5
07-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Pusher,

Oh please, your predictions were that Federer wouldn't even do well on clay; well, he's the 2nd best clay-courter. Predicting that Nadal will win the FO somehow makes you good? Yea, that's a real tough one -- predicting that the best clay-courter will win the FO. Wow.

As for Federer and Nadal at the Wimbledon, you just can't seem to accept that Nadal simply isn't anywhere near as good as Federer on grass. He's struggled greatly against a bunch of lowly ranked players. Federer meanwhile has steamrolled over some great grass-court players, and hasn't even lost a set yet.

If Nadal faces Federer at Wimbledon, the result will be the same as it has for every other match of Federer's at Wimbledon this year: a victory for Federer in straight sets. I wouldn't be surprised if he bageled Nadal, either.

You sure seem confident, although even you deep down inside, must be a bit worried at the fact that Nadal could take out Federer in the finals.

dh003i
07-05-2006, 10:39 AM
HollerOne,

I greatly hope that Nadal makes it to the finals, although find that extremely unlikely.

Sorry, buddy, but you have to be realistic. Nadal has so far barely scraped by against a very very easy draw. Federer destroyed the most difficult draw, without losing a set, and only 2 service games.

Sure, there's a possibility Federer can be beaten. Like less than 1%. He's simply too good, and is vastly superior to anyone else on the surface.

Pete Sampras at his current age would pose more of a challenge to Federer on grass than would Nadal.

HollerOne5
07-05-2006, 10:49 AM
HollerOne,

I greatly hope that Nadal makes it to the finals, although find that extremely unlikely.

Sorry, buddy, but you have to be realistic. Nadal has so far barely scraped by against a very very easy draw. Federer destroyed the most difficult draw, without losing a set, and only 2 service games.

Sure, there's a possibility Federer can be beaten. Like less than 1%. He's simply too good, and is vastly superior to anyone else on the surface.

Pete Sampras at his current age would pose more of a challenge to Federer on grass than would Nadal.

LOL, you are far too bold for your own good. Why don't you just wait and see what happens, before you end up looking like an idiot when what you say will happen, in fact does not

dh003i
07-05-2006, 11:02 AM
HollerOne,

I'm making reasonable predictions here. Bold? Non-sense. Predicting that Federer will win Wimbledon is about as daring as predicting that a ball will fall to the ground if dropped.

And of course when he does win, the dimwits who said Nadal will beat him will seem as stupid as they really are. Of course, that is if Nadal even faces Federer.

fastdunn
07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
I think Baghdatis will prevent them from meeting each other at the final.

I think Federer will beat Nadal at this point if it is on grass
but I don't think it will be a straight-setter.

Docalex007
07-05-2006, 11:59 AM
I think Baghdatis will prevent them from meeting each other at the final.

I think Federer will beat Nadal at this point if it is on grass
but I don't think it will be a straight-setter.

I do. You think Nadal is more of a challenge on grass than Ancic?? Federer straight setted the Croatian today like it was nothing.

The Pusher Terminator
07-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Pusher,

Liar. I never said that Fed would not do well on clay. Are you on some sort of mind altering drug?

Secondly not only did I predict that Nadal would win , I also precited for the past two years that Fed would NEVER win the French.

Oh I accept that Fed is the better player on grass (even though they have never met on that surface. But in our blind hatred for anything pro-Nadal you have once again completely missed my point:

If Nadal meets Fed in the Wimby...Nadal will win because Fed will crack mentally. Nadal has the clear advantage and tennis is in large part is a mental game.

As a great tennis mind once said:

If Nadal makes the finals Fed's knees will oscilate with fear, and the resulting resonance will crumble his foundation. Game, set, match, Nadal. Just as it always goes. Except for one time, Fed got lucky, once.

The tennis guy
07-05-2006, 12:04 PM
If Nadal meets Fed in the Wimby...Nadal will win because Fed will crack mentally. Nadal has the clear advantage and tennis is in large part is a mental game.
How do you know Federer would crack? Are you implying Federer lost to Nadal on clay because Federer cracked under pressure, not because Nadal was the superior player on clay?

arnz
07-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I do. You think Nadal is more of a challenge on grass than Ancic?? Federer straight setted the Croatian today like it was nothing.

I read people all the time saying the reason Nadal is doing well is because they slowed down the court to play more like clay.

So when Fed annihilates the competition, its because he is the king of grass, and grass plays differently. But whenever Nadal gets a win, its because grass plays like clay?

fastdunn
07-05-2006, 12:12 PM
I read people all the time saying the reason Nadal is doing well is because they slowed down the court to play more like clay.

So when Fed annihilates the competition, its because he is the king of grass, and grass plays differently. But whenever Nadal gets a win, its because grass plays like clay?

Hehehe, exactly....

The part of reason why Federer has been successful on grass
is because it has been slowed down. And that's exactly what
helps Nadal.

Basically, Federer fans sometimes think everything happens because
it was Federer who is all mighty. But the truth is whatever helped
Federer for his success will get back to him in the long run.
In that sense, Federer is getting the taste of his own medicine
from Nadal.

The Pusher Terminator
07-05-2006, 12:14 PM
How do you know Federer would crack? Are you implying Federer lost to Nadal on clay because Federer cracked under pressure, not because Nadal was the superior player on clay?

No what I am saying is that Nadal has kicked Feds butt 6 times now. Fed has reason to be afraid.....very afraid.

Simon Cowell
07-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Nadal is very much unstoppable right now. He is a warrior and does not wilt under pressure. If anything, he thrives on it.

fastdunn
07-05-2006, 12:15 PM

Yeah. Federer beats Blake and Blake beats Nadal but Nadal beats Federer.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's called "macth-up".

The thing is that Nadal's game fits right into federer's weakness.
It should also work in certian degree on grass.