PDA

View Full Version : isospeed professional

ericsson
07-04-2006, 12:37 AM
yesterday i played a full match with this string, man what a power!!! i have to say it plays very soft and great touch and feel but not good for me cos im a flat hitter. i used to play bb alu but with shoulder injury i looked for something softer. it just had too much power for my flat shots, i have to admit i only strung to 24 kg so maybe its too little but with bb its perfect. it should be a great string for those who hit with heavy spin. for me it hit likes a catapult.

goblake14
07-04-2006, 04:17 AM
Decent string, but in my experience it loses tension rather quickly. Heed the advice of the package...string 10% more.

TennsDog
07-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Decent string, but in my experience it loses tension rather quickly. Heed the advice of the package...string 10% more.
I use Iso-Speed Control (thicker guage of Professional), and increasing the 10% is crucial to getting the desired playing tension. I was thinking as I read that maybe you strung it at your normal tension and the initial drop made it too soft and powerful for what you were looking for. No doubt, it does have power, but it also tends to be surprising controllable power, at least in my experience. I also think that it is a more forgiving string for being strung up tight, so you might consider giving it another go and stringing it up about 5-6 lbs tighter and see if that doesn't help with the abundance of power. As for being good for players with a lot of spin, it does play very well, but the spin tends to kill the durability. I'm lucky to get 10 hours out of a set.

emcee
07-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah I found the Professional to be a pretty good string and played similar to Luxilon Ace. Alas, neither of them were very durable.

And yeah I got it strung at 10% more I think and still got good power, so no wonder you found it to be catapult-like!

TennsDog
07-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Yeah I found the Professional to be a pretty good string and played similar to Luxilon Ace. Alas, neither of them were very durable.

And yeah I got it strung at 10% more I think and still got good power, so no wonder you found it to be catapult-like!
Are you serious?? You mentioned Iso-Speed and Luxilon in the same sentence? Wow. I currently have one racket strung with Iso-Speed Control and one with Luxilon Ace (both hybrids). They are nothing alike. Iso-Speed is soft and powerful with great feel. Ace is a poly with harsh feel and no power. Performance and feel wise, I would put Ace and Control as far apart as PSGDF and natural gut.

emcee
07-04-2006, 09:01 PM
To me Luxilon Ace @ 54 pounds played pretty similar to Isospeed Professional @ 66 pounds, yes.

Ace had pretty great power for me but not as good as ALU-Power. Its control was also pretty eerie. I remember one day after I lost a high school match that ensured that I would not make varsity singles, I was hitting with a friend as hard as I could because I was mad and almost every shot went in. The Professional had pretty good control and honestly it didn't feel that much softer.

I wish I knew why people have so different reactions to polyester. All I know is that I'd be happy with either string...but prefer the Ace, frankly...and I'll need a new string job in 2 weeks.

TennsDog
07-04-2006, 09:05 PM
I wish I knew why people have so different reactions to polyester. All I know is that I'd be happy with either string...but prefer the Ace, frankly...and I'll need a new string job in 2 weeks.
I don't like polyester strings because I know for a fact that playing with them gave me tennis elbow a few years back. I quite using poly and it went away. Tried it again a couple months later and TE returned within 5 minutes of using poly. 'Nuff said. Anyway, I can imagine you would get a lot of strings to play more similar stringing with a 12 lb difference in tension. I string my Iso-Speed at 66 lbs, but then it drops 6 and is only at about 60, so it's all good.

emcee
07-04-2006, 09:27 PM
No, the tension difference wasn't on purpose. My normal tension was 60. Luxilon recommended 10% less so I strung it at 54. I got Professional strung at 66 as Isospeed recommended 6 pounds more, so it should've dropped to 60 or so. The Ace would probably still drop a few pounds to, so it's like an 8 or so lb difference in tension we're talking about.

Did you not string your polys at lower tension than usual?

TennsDog
07-04-2006, 10:09 PM
No, I did. But lower tension still doesn't give it the elasticity of a multifilament string.

ericsson
07-05-2006, 12:08 AM
well, i think of cutting them out and string BB again, i could really hit flat winners, with isospeed i couldnt, it stayed very long on my strings, i dont like. i just would like to find a soft string that plays like a poly (BB), maybe that just doesnt excist.

Kevo
07-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Give Topspin Cyberflash a try. Just don't drop tension on it like you would with Big Banger. It's softer so it doesn't need the drop.

ericsson
07-05-2006, 11:31 PM
is that cyberflash a poly or not?

andyroddick's mojo
07-06-2006, 01:43 AM
so professional is a multi? I might be ordering a few sets of that if I hear its good enough to try out, so can anyone comment on its spin potential as well? from what i hear, it plays really close to natural gut, and is very comfortable.

TennsDog
07-06-2006, 04:57 AM
Yes, Iso-Speed Professional is a multi. It is made with thousands of polyolefin ribbons. It is very comfortable and has a nice soft feel, but is quite different than other multis. It has probably average spin potential, but above average control because the ball stays on the strings longer and allows you to place it more accurately. If you do try it, though, make sure you do string it up about 6 lbs tighter to start with and I suggest also waxing the mains like they say.

Kevo
07-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Cyberflash is a poly. Do a search and you will find quite a bit of info on it.

andyroddick's mojo
07-06-2006, 01:42 PM
I hear that some people hybrid with isospeed, but is that worth it? I know its pretty cheap compared to most other strings, and since its a multi, you don't need more comfort from a hybrid do you?

TennsDog
07-06-2006, 03:04 PM
As you can see from my signature, I hybrid my Iso-Speed. I do it just to make it cheaper. So instead of spending $8+ for a stringjob, I cross it with a cheap string to lower my cost to about $5/job. It's not much, but I break strings more often than I would like, and those $3 add up after a while.

La Bomba
07-06-2006, 07:11 PM
OK, There is a string called Isospeed Hybrid, it has professional in the crosses and a black string (poly) for mains, you get so much spin and is one of the most playable strings Ive ever tried. It has a soft, yet slightly crisp feel probably from the poly. It plays really well. I will be getting it strung in my 6.0 Original at 63 or 65lbs on Monday

migjam
07-07-2006, 07:21 AM
OK, There is a string called Isospeed Hybrid, it has professional in the crosses and a black string (poly) for mains, you get so much spin and is one of the most playable strings Ive ever tried.

Isospeed Hybrid is just Professional and Control together. The black string is Control, which they seem to only make for the Hybrid sets and not packaged individually.

Professional is a GREAT string. I especially liked using it in the Babolat PD.

ambro
07-07-2006, 08:32 AM
That's ********. Why would they make a prepackaged hybrid with the same string, just different gauges?

migjam
07-07-2006, 09:12 AM
That's ********. Why would they make a prepackaged hybrid with the same string, just different gauges?

It's cheaper than buying a set of Control and a set of Professional to make your own Hybrid. It's no different then what Babolat is doing with their half sets.

ambro
07-07-2006, 09:59 AM
So they're packaged in half sets like Babolat? If so, then that's not what I was thinking. I thought they were a prepackaged hybrid together with Control for the mains and Professional for the crosses, and that makes no sense to me.

andyroddick's mojo
07-07-2006, 10:08 AM
gosh, I keep hearing great things about isospeed professional, so either isospeed professional or enduro tour 17 are going to be my string of choice from now on (although I haven't tried out any of them, which I know is not smart, but I can't afford to try too many different strings). With the enduro tour 17, I think I'll get more spin, but less comfort, feel, mainly cause professional is a multi and enduro tour is a "softer" poly then most polys. Any suggestions??

migjam
07-07-2006, 11:03 AM
So they're packaged in half sets like Babolat? If so, then that's not what I was thinking. I thought they were a prepackaged hybrid together with Control for the mains and Professional for the crosses, and that makes no sense to me.

No, not half sets. What I was saying is rather than buying two full sets (1 of Control and 1 of Professional) you could buy the Hybrid. Basically all that the Control is providing in the Hybrid is more durability in the mains.

migjam
07-07-2006, 11:04 AM
gosh, I keep hearing great things about isospeed professional, so either isospeed professional or enduro tour 17 are going to be my string of choice from now on (although I haven't tried out any of them, which I know is not smart, but I can't afford to try too many different strings). With the enduro tour 17, I think I'll get more spin, but less comfort, feel, mainly cause professional is a multi and enduro tour is a "softer" poly then most polys. Any suggestions??

I would definatley go with the Iso over the tour.

TennsDog
07-07-2006, 11:24 AM
I would definatley go with the Iso over the tour.
Ditto. If spin is all you're worried about, spin is almost all from technique anyway, so you won't lose much there. The feel, comfort, and feedback of shots from Iso-Speed is fabulous. Highly recommend it. :)

andyroddick's mojo
07-07-2006, 12:00 PM
thanks! well on my next purchase I think i'll order 3-4 sets of it, and I'll call it my holy grail of strings.

TennsDog
07-07-2006, 09:09 PM
thanks! well on my next purchase I think i'll order 3-4 sets of it, and I'll call it my holy grail of strings.
Good choice. I did the same thing about a year ago, only I bought enough to string up 24 rackets (12 sets in hybrid) -- about $100, but it was worth it.

andyroddick's mojo
07-09-2006, 08:45 PM
can someone comment on the subtle differences between isospeed control and isospeed professional? i think i recall someone saying they're the same string except different gauges. professional is 1.20, control is 1.30. I know professional is great but I'm afraid it'll break too quickly, even though i'm not a frequent string breaker, but i am starting to play everyday. So i was wondering maybe I should get the control, for some more durability, but am scared if i'll lose playability. can someone help me out? thanks.

TennsDog
07-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Well I have never been one to be too picky about what guage I can since I can't really tell a difference in playability of tenths of a milimeter, but I can tell you you will not lose playability, at least not much, by using Control over Professional. Iso-Speed Control has the best playability of any string I've used (though I have yet to try a set of my Professional). I think any minute loss of playability will be well worth the added durability, especially since these strings aren't particularly durable anyway.

Kevo
07-10-2006, 07:19 PM
The control is noticeably heavier than the professional. Depending on how close your frames balance is to your ideal you may prefer one over the other due to weight. A hybrid with the Control in the mains and Professional in the crosses might be a good compromise.