PDA

View Full Version : what happened to wimbledon?

bdawg
07-04-2006, 06:19 AM
I am starting to dislike the baseline game at wimbledon this year. I am tired of seeing guys like Federer, Nadal, Sharapova, and Dementieva who only go to the net to shake hands. I would have loved to see a guy like Kuerten on today's wimbledon courts; he would have been competitive.

Apparently wimbledon changed the grass a while back to compensate for the wear caused by the player's shoes. But could the wear be any worse than it is currently?

I don't particularly care for serve and volley tennis, but I like the short points considering Roland Garros was only two weeks ago.

I hope the wimbledon organizers realize this problem and plan the appropriate changes.

does anyone agree with me? or do more people like this baseline tennis? even at wimbledon?

tlm
07-04-2006, 06:36 AM
The pro game is baseline tennis period,i dont see why so many people cant see that.Its been going that way for 15 years,+now baseline bashing has taking over.

I wonder how much tennis some of you watch,this didnt just start yesterday!I know a lot of you want s+v.But face it that is a thing of the past,if you want to see that style of play go to espn classic.

skip1969
07-04-2006, 06:39 AM
tlm is right. don't blame the grass. pros just aren't playing serve and volley anymore. it's not in vogue. everyone wants to smash winners from the baseline. so blame the coaches and academies, not the grass.

this is just one of the several threads where this debate has gone on:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=107462

AAAA
07-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Considering Kendrick-Nadal, Blake-Mirnyi, Roddick-Murray, and all Federer matches so far have got the crowd 'Ohhh'ing, 'ahhhh'ing and screaming with pleasure at what they are seeing I doubt they see a problem.

Henman, Rusedski and Bjorkman will retire in the next few years so their whines about court speed shouldn't be a consideration for wimbledon considering Ancic, Phillipousis, Mahut, Miryni and many others had no problems serving many aces in at least one match.

If there is a problem it's the less than 5% of the fanbase who are unable to embrace the new world and move on from their romantacized rose tinted memories of the past. The present can look better in the future with a sprinkling of nostalgia.

skip1969
07-04-2006, 06:50 AM
If there is a problem it's the less than 5% of the fanbase who are unable to embrace the new world and move on from their romantacized rose tinted memories of the past. The present can look better in the future with a sprinkling of nostalgia.
i don't think there is anything inherently wrong with wanting to see more than just one dominant style on the tour. especially if you grew up seeing players with varying strokes and games. i don't think it's clinging onto the past so much as wanting more from the present generation.

so many of the pros have such similar games (particularly the women) that it's harder for any of them to stand out. so much so that when a player comes along with a one-handed backhand (mauresmo) or approaches the net (hardenne) or has some real variety of shot (federer) . . . they stand out as if they are doing something out of this world.

here's another thread on the topic of the thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=107193

ctbmar
07-04-2006, 06:55 AM
In the late 80s and early 90s, people were complaining that all the big servers like Becker and Stich were making Wimbledon boring with their aces and winning 1st volleys that rallies were limited to 2 to 3 strokes....That's why they made the court slightly slower and experimented with changing to bigger tennis balls or have slower balls to create more rallies. Now after 15 years, people are complaining why there are so many rallies and why serve and volley have become almost extinct...We sow what we reap. It's like a government policy that limits 1 or 2 children per household and after 15 years find that birth rates have fallen sharply and quickly try to revert the policy and encourage more children....People got to know what they want and dont be so fickle-minded.

brucie
07-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Yes there must be consideation here, speeding up courts will encourage massive serves and still no need for serve and volley, i watched at wimbledon in crowd hewytt mauresmo and nadal yesterday also watched bryan bros play, serve and volley will always be a doubles tactic not so much in singles just rushing in isnt the way as fed knows go in on right ball, yes, even nadal does! You want to see serve and volley ill direct you to 80 and 81 final,mcenroe and borg yeah they serve and volley because the chance of hitting consistant from baselin agressively is like 50% for them the games moving on now we see drive volleys they didnt exsist then! so you could say more of this volleying goes on!

AAAA
07-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Yes there must be consideation here, speeding up courts will encourage massive serves and still no need for serve and volley, i watched at wimbledon in crowd hewytt mauresmo and nadal yesterday also watched bryan bros play, serve and volley will always be a doubles tactic not so much in singles just rushing in isnt the way as fed knows go in on right ball, yes, even nadal does! You want to see serve and volley ill direct you to 80 and 81 final,mcenroe and borg yeah they serve and volley because the chance of hitting consistant from baselin agressively is like 50% for them the games moving on now we see drive volleys they didnt exsist then! so you could say more of this volleying goes on!

You stated the obvious yet other people can't see it. Those modern racquets allow players with good racquet head control to whip winners from very defensive positions. I've been on the receiving end of that stuff in my own league matches.

What I'd like to see is all the fans craving for s&v tennis to start using heavier smaller headed racquets(95" max 340g min), preach the use of said racquets to everyone they play against, play s&v tennis themselves, and then maybe they can start a tennis revolution at GRASS roots level all around the world.

Personally I enjoy playing s&v tennis, it's great fun to hit a hard serve and rush the net. However when less good players can be late on their returns and still smack service winners because they are using big headed light racquets I have no choice but to stay back and try to win from the baseline with the occasional net approach.

I should point out in the 90s the majority of the fans found s&v boring but today, so far, it's only the minority of fans who find baseline tennis boring. Should today's minority grow into the majority then the courts may speed up again, and so be it.