PDA

View Full Version : no DUBS coverage at all...

KBalla08
07-04-2006, 09:39 AM
why the hell arent they showing any doubles matches? they say dubs isnt popular or whatever, but how will they help the cause by not showing it at all? really ****es me off...

jaykay
07-04-2006, 09:51 AM
I believe it is the Bryan Bros vs Bjorkman/Mirnyi... #1 vs #2 seeds. Should be a classic.

It is undeed tragic that they are not broadcasting this...

KBalla08
07-04-2006, 09:57 AM
well that should be the final, yes, but they are in the semis now after today, so maybe they will show some of that...

Grimjack
07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
why the hell arent they showing any doubles matches? they say dubs isnt popular or whatever, but how will they help the cause by not showing it at all? really ****es me off...

"Help the cause?" Network TV ain't charity work. They aren't in the business of helping causes. The networks, unlike the ATP, understand that doubles is nothing but a huge vacuum sucking up profits and distributing them to unworthy players who do nothing to help generate them. Showing these pseudo-pros on network TV would be ratings death, and whatever program director suggested that they be put on the air in the first place would be justifiably fired immediately when the advertisers started complaining about the ratings collapse.

Pro tennis ought to wake up and be rid of doubles altogether. Nobody is interested. Doubles is for fat weekend hacks, not professional athletes.

Rabbit
07-04-2006, 02:23 PM
I have been watching all the doubles, including the coverage of Martina Navratilova. I didn't get to see the end of the Bryans match, but Bjorkmann and Myrni dominated. They've looked good all tournament long. Both the top seeds are playing very well.

The Wimbledon feed is really a bargain at $20 for the tournament. There are matches that have commentary and refreshingly, those that don't.

I think pro doubles is more exciting than singles. The doubles competition is more a throwback to a serve and volley type tennis. There is more shot selection, great net play, and the players seems to exude more personality.

Steve Huff
07-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah! And basketball should be 1 on 1. Forget this 5 on 5 crap. Any semi-pro can catch a ball and pass it. Bulls and Lakers prooved that, didn't they?

uNIVERSE mAN
07-05-2006, 06:59 AM
"Help the cause?" Network TV ain't charity work. They aren't in the business of helping causes. The networks, unlike the ATP, understand that doubles is nothing but a huge vacuum sucking up profits and distributing them to unworthy players who do nothing to help generate them. Showing these pseudo-pros on network TV would be ratings death, and whatever program director suggested that they be put on the air in the first place would be justifiably fired immediately when the advertisers started complaining about the ratings collapse.

Pro tennis ought to wake up and be rid of doubles altogether. Nobody is interested. Doubles is for fat weekend hacks, not professional athletes.

agreed.

counterpunch
07-05-2006, 08:55 AM
i do wish they would show at least some. not to spoil anything but there is an epic battle going on right now.

Rabbit
07-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Ratings are so far down now, they should try anything. I'll bet Navratilova could draw some TV ratings in the US.

KBalla08
07-05-2006, 09:58 AM
dude knowles and nestor just played a 23-21 5th set... they didnt finish yesterday, they were 11-11 in the 5th, and finished it at 23-21... man that mustve been sweet... espn shows the last point lol

skip1969
07-05-2006, 10:00 AM
yeah, we got a real feel for the longest match in wimbledon history from that match point, didn't we?:D

Steve Huff
07-05-2006, 04:30 PM
NBC showed a whole 3-5 minutes of this match. They cut it off at 18-17. I was glued to my seat (for 5 minutes anyway) thinking they would surely show the end of it. But 5 minutes--wow. I guess they didn't have their replay ready to go at the time.

dubsplayer
07-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Can you imagine the hysteria amongst most posters and the number of threads generated, on this and other broards, if they left singles qf matches to show it?

jack mckinney
07-05-2006, 06:09 PM
i know that each of us like to watch different things. but i think instead of showing matches over and over they could show doubles. i really enjoy watching them and think it is more exciting than watching some of the blow out singles that we see.

Volly master
07-05-2006, 06:11 PM
because hearing sharapova's screams and cleavage is enough for the common man to ********** at home after he is done watching 9 hours of tennis

tpduke112
07-05-2006, 09:17 PM
To me, doubles isnt even real tennis.......