PDA

View Full Version : gut ?'s

Dunlopkid
07-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Are natural gut strings as breakable as everyone says? What natural gut has the most bang for the buck?

snoflewis
07-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Are natural gut strings as breakable as everyone says? What natural gut has the most bang for the buck?

from what i've read, if you take care of gut (string savers, oil, temperature, humidity) it will last longer than a multi of the same gauge. however...the temperature and humidity of your location might play a big part in how long it lasts.

as for price, the more you pay, the better gut you get..no exceptions.

chayajay
07-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Natural gut is a lot more durable then everyone says, depending on the string pattern, in a closed string pattern buy VS, because it will take forever to break the strings. (I know from experience) In an open string pattern use Bow Brand, because it will break quickly (I broke it in 4 days of 7 hours a day hard hitting) I hope that helps

Stringer_Steve
07-04-2006, 09:21 PM
As stated above, there are many factors that can cause natural gut to be (by nature) more fragile than synthetics (and I am generalizing "synthetics" as being anything but natural gut in this post as a reference). Heat, humidity, etc. all contribute to the early demise of natural gut. Having said that, I string for some customers that don't break gut and eventually have to cut it out of their frames.
Generally speaking though, gut will also be more susceptible to breaking on a mishit too.
As for "bang for the buck," I like VS Tonic.

rasajadad
07-05-2006, 02:58 AM
In my case, I had been using premium multis prior to a serious TE episode last year. I used Gamma TNT2 alot as well as TF NRG2. Usually 17g. I now use a full natural gut set up. To my surprise, the gut lasts longer. I have gut strings in two of my frames since may 19th. They're fraying, but not unraveling yet. I play approx. 5 times a week. 1 1/2 - 2 hours at a time.

wilsonboi
07-05-2006, 01:19 PM
i use the original strings given on the wilson H6, and they arent that gr8
which strings should i get for maximum durability and maximum control?

volleyman
07-05-2006, 06:23 PM
My personal experience is that a gut/syn gut hybrid (gut mains) lasts longer than multis (especially with string savers), plays better, and costs about the same as a premium multi per racquet.

I'm quite happy with the BDE Rallye gut as a main, and Gosen OG sheep micro on the cross.

That said, there are some here who tear through gut and anything else not bulletproof in a play session or two, so your results may vary widely from mine. Personal hitting style and racquet choice have a lot to do with string longevity. But gut, especially in a hybrid, is worth a try.

theace21
07-06-2006, 06:45 AM
My personal experience is that a gut/syn gut hybrid (gut mains) lasts longer than multis (especially with string savers), plays better, and costs about the same as a premium multi per racquet.

I'm quite happy with the BDE Rallye gut as a main, and Gosen OG sheep micro on the cross.

That said, there are some here who tear through gut and anything else not bulletproof in a play session or two, so your results may vary widely from mine. Personal hitting style and racquet choice have a lot to do with string longevity. But gut, especially in a hybrid, is worth a try.
I have found the same thing...I use BDE Preformance with Gosen OG Sheep Micro as a cross string. Last summer when I was using only Gosen OG Sheep Micro I was getting only 4-10 hours of play. The gut hybrid is probalby around 40-60 hours. I use string savers and play in an area with very little humidity. For me the gut is cheaper, plays better, is easier on my arm, and hold tension better...Up front cost is more, but it pays for itself.