PDA

View Full Version : Will slowed Wimbledon affect Fed's future GOAT status

bluecephas
07-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I've been reading the recents complaints on this board about the slowed grass at Wimby. OK assuming Fed does indeed win more slams than Pete, and wins at least 1 French, I'm sure many would say that he wouldn't have won so much if the grass was left the way it was before 2002. Fed did grow up on clay, and is the best on fast hard courts so far, but he will always be measured by a different measuring stick compared to Edberg, Borg, Becker, Agassi, and Sampras because of the green-clay perception of Wimbledon. It's kinda unfair for Fed because it wasn't his call. He wouldn't have the opportunity to prove that he could win so much W titles in fast grass, like Pete did. When people attributed to him the GOAT status, many will demand a footnote saying that it was on slow grass that he won his grass-courts slams, unlike the past champs.
What do you guys think?

Ztalin
07-04-2006, 04:39 PM
One could also put a footnote beside Sampras's Wimbledon titles, saying that it was on fast grass, and that Sampras didn't need to be able to hit clean groundstrokes in order to win them. It goes both ways.

Chang
07-04-2006, 04:43 PM
I suppose slowing the grass does make it easier for him because he is a groundstroke player. He might not be as good if he played on faster grass like Sampras did but I suppose he can blend into the surface because he has an all court game.

malakas
07-04-2006, 04:45 PM
One could also put a footnote beside Sampras's Wimbledon titles, saying that it was on fast grass, and that Sampras didn't need to be able to hit clean groundstrokes in order to win them. It goes both ways.

Exactly!It works both ways!

Ztalin
07-04-2006, 04:53 PM
I suppose slowing the grass does make it easier for him because he is a groundstroke player. He might not be as good if he played on faster grass like Sampras did but I suppose he can blend into the surface because he has an all court game.

And speeding the grass makes it easier for Sampras. How many W's would Sampras have won on today's grass? I doubt that he would've won 7.

Django
07-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Check the record books. Some past Grand Slam winners "enjoyed" the fact that the US Open and the Australian Open were played on grass and clay. Is their accomplishment tarnished by never having to play on hardcourts?

Django
07-04-2006, 05:31 PM
In addition, consider that on a "faster" grass surface, Federer might be even MORE dominating. Who would have a better chance against him? If anything, the "slower" surface has allowed other players to be competitive.

Andres
07-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Nah, because grass is grass. It's supposed to be FAST.
This is just green stuff which bounces a little lower than green hard :p

Sampras won on grass. Becker won on grass. Federer won on this thing, THE ONE WE DON'T SPEAK OF :mrgreen:

Rickson
07-04-2006, 06:01 PM
In addition, consider that on a "faster" grass surface, Federer might be even MORE dominating. Who would have a better chance against him? If anything, the "slower" surface has allowed other players to be competitive.
Exactly. The "slower" grass gives others a chance to compete where Federer would be even more dominant on "faster" grass.

Tennis_Goodness
07-04-2006, 06:05 PM
I don't think it will affect Federer. Federer has the most complete game I have ever seen and is one of the most adaptable players in history. I think he would just learn how to play on a slower grass court, he can do it all.

I think Federer is going to become really good on clay too, even better then he is!

superman1
07-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Federer does like it to be slowed down, however so does Nadal. Nadal would never have beat Agassi like that on a real grass court. If these courts end up getting worn down into claycourts throughout this week, Nadal is going to be a very happy man.

KBalla08
07-04-2006, 07:43 PM
there will never be a way to choose one person as the GOAT because of the changes over time in courts, technology, etc. All this GOAT talk is just nonsense

typingchamp
07-05-2006, 12:35 AM
I would be surprised if this was brought up in the discussion. Today's surfaces are ridiculously different on all four grand slams. A case may be made if Sampras actually was good on all four in his day . . . sure the surfaces were even more different . . . but it's not like any player from that era really mastered them all like Federer has mastered the four slams in this day (losing to Nadal twice in French Open doesn't tarnish this, he is still second best on clay and probably the best on the other three surfaces, and yes I count Rebound Ace as a different surface).

ED_4.6HSE
07-05-2006, 01:33 AM
On faster grass fed would probably still dominate because he has the ability to adapt his game. He can attack the net, serve & volley etc whereas the other mainly pure basliner tour players cant

It would make things interesting and we could see a side to feds game which we are not seeing now. Players like Ancic would feel they have a better chance but nadal etc would be out of the picture. I hope we get to see ...