PDA

View Full Version : Coria to be back in Bastad (July 25th)

Andres
07-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Just being announced in ESPN Sportcenter's LA

:D :D :D

luke_1983uk
07-05-2006, 12:09 AM
thanks for the great news
the el mago is back!

Andres
07-05-2006, 08:38 AM
thanks for the great news
the el mago is back!
"The El Mago" doesn't sound right :)
The = El

So it's The Mago, or El Mago, or The Magician. Please, not "The El Mago"

malakas
07-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Ehm..maybe a stupid question..but don't they call..Santoro.. El mago??:confused: ..I thought that was his nickname..:(

Andres
07-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Ehm..maybe a stupid question..but don't they call..Santoro.. El mago??:confused: ..I thought that was his nickname..:(
"El Mago" has been Coria's nickname since he was 13, as far as I know.

malakas
07-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Uh..ok.Because I have heard calling Santoro el mago too..:(
Maybe Santoro is the magician and Coria is el mago??:confused:

emcee
07-05-2006, 09:08 AM
What's magical about Coria's game? His speed? His drop shot?

Seems Santoro would deserve the name more, don't you think?

diegaa
07-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Uh..ok.Because I have heard calling Santoro el mago too..:(
Maybe Santoro is the magician and Coria is el mago??:confused:

yes. they are both called by the same nickname, but in different languages

malakas
07-05-2006, 09:10 AM
yes. they are both called by the same nickname, but in different languages

Thanx for clearing it up diegaa!:D

diegaa
07-05-2006, 09:11 AM

ehm, no I dont.
and yes, his wrist is extraordinary, he still is the best drop shotter out there.

croatian sensation
07-07-2006, 03:09 AM
NO. Bastad is on July 10.
Coria is back on July 10. Not 25th.

He will be playing at Croatia Open Umag in the week 24-30 July. Don't you dare take that away from us :-)

mowcopian
07-07-2006, 03:17 AM
its good to see coria back, i like the style of his play

Rhino
07-07-2006, 03:35 AM
I really hope he's managed to strengthen his mental attitude and can come back with confidence, I'd love to see him being a threat again.

mowcopian
07-07-2006, 03:38 AM
i know yeah i fhe can keep it together then he we get back to his best and start challenging for grand slams becuase thats the quality of the player. although i do not agree with him wearing those skin tight tops he wears.

luke_1983uk
07-07-2006, 03:50 AM
"The El Mago" doesn't sound right :)
The = El

So it's The Mago, or El Mago, or The Magician. Please, not "The El Mago"

sorry Andres Guazzelli
i get what you mean i didnt read my own post!
wont happen again :)
Come On Guillermo!
would love to see him back to his best by next year so he can really challenge Rafael nadal on the clay

peter
07-07-2006, 03:55 AM
Just being announced in ESPN Sportcenter's LA

:D :D :D

And I'll be there watching the matches on Tuesday (round 1)!

Decided to take a mini-vacation tuesday-wednesday next week :-)

Pretty nice starting list too (even though Nadal just announced he won't be playing):

N.Almagro, ESP
T.Berdych, CZE
J.Bjorkman, SWE
A.Calleri, ARG
J.Chela, ARG
G.Coria, ARG
N.Davydenko, RUS
D.Ferrer, ESP
J.Ferrero, ESP
V.Hanescu, ROM
L.Horna, PER
T.Johansson, SWE
A.Martin, ESP
N.Massu, CHI
G.Monfils, FRA
(R.Nadal, ESP)
J.Nieminen, FIN
B.Pashanski, SCG
T.Robredo, ESP
F.Serra, FRA
G.Simon, FRA
R.Soderling, SWE

splink779
07-07-2006, 05:18 AM
Coria is a super talented player and if he can be as focused as a top 5 player, that is where he belongs. He is also one of the only people that can handle Nadal on any surface.

aramis
07-07-2006, 12:33 PM
I hope Ferrero and Coria play their best at this tournament, to show everyone else that they will be a threat for next years clay court season and the remainder of this year.

splink779
07-07-2006, 01:16 PM
I hope Ferrero and Coria play their best at this tournament, to show everyone else that they will be a threat for next years clay court season and the remainder of this year.

Ferrero was one of my favorites, and I feel horrible about saying this, but he is done. Not only has his forehand lost a bit of sting, but all the top players can hit like that now. There are faster, stronger players with better serves, better backhands, and better volleys. That is one of the reasons, I believe, that although he can stay in the top 20, he will never get back to where he was in 2001-03.

guernica1
07-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Ferrero was one of my favorites, and I feel horrible about saying this, but he is done. Not only has his forehand lost a bit of sting, but all the top players can hit like that now. There are faster, stronger players with better serves, better backhands, and better volleys. That is one of the reasons, I believe, that although he can stay in the top 20, he will never get back to where he was in 2001-03.

Actually I'd say even David Ferrer has passed Ferrero in the Spanish ladder.

I wonder if next week is too early for Coria to return. Even if his physical problems have improved I feel he needs to go to some challengers and dominate them to get that winning swagger back.

punch
07-07-2006, 02:25 PM
It is nice to see Coria coming back, he was very talented, I just hope he improved that dreaful second serve.

Owfred
07-08-2006, 07:53 AM
1st round match against Acasuso, could be tough. If im not mistaken, both are back from injury.

croatian sensation
07-08-2006, 11:06 AM
It is nice to see Coria coming back, he was very talented, I just hope he improved that dreaful second serve.

He still has the talent.

I wanna see him defend the title in Umag.

Andres
07-08-2006, 11:10 AM
He still has the talent.

I wanna see him defend the title in Umag.
Did you know he won the "Copa del Rey" beating Ferrer in the finals?
He may be getting his confidence back. Ferrer is definitely not a slump on clay ;)

But apparently, in that match (which he won 6-3 y 7-6 in 1:36), he was having some muscular problems in his right biceps. Maybe due to his latent tennis elbow?

95nCode95
07-08-2006, 03:21 PM
what happend to coria aneways? was it the tendinitis or whatever in his shoulder? and his website also, did it shutdown cuzz of the spanish forums insulting and putting down coria? cuzz his website use to be my favourite website hahaha

Dan007
07-08-2006, 03:48 PM

How he double faults in a match!!~:rolleyes:

aramis
07-09-2006, 06:01 PM
His forehand has definitely fallen for sure...but I often watch highlights of him from years ago and I'm still convinced that his game was quite unique; sure, there are guys now who can hit a forehand just as hard as he used to (in fact, the tour is full of them) but how many can combine the groundstrokes with that perfect footwork and wonderful speed? Almost all of the "newcomers" can indeed hit the ball extremely hard, but none of them have the smooth, quick footwork of a Federer or a Ferrero, and it is a fact that movement is the most important element in tennis. When I watch guys like Berdych, Monfils, Djokovic, etc., I'm stunned at their lazy and undeveloped footwork, which is the reason why these guys shank so many balls.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that if Ferrero wants to regain his form (for I am convinced that he just doesn't care about tennis as much as he used to), then I believe he can still be a top five player.