PDA

View Full Version : Check this short analysis about Sharapova's grunting noises

TXKiteboarder
07-04-2006, 06:30 PM
I just saw this on UK Times online edition... enjoy...
According to them, Sharopova has the loudest sound of any WTA player.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/549/0317303004ec.jpg

TENNIS_IS_FUN
07-04-2006, 06:33 PM
SHRIEKOMETER
Sharapova
Selles
Williams
Davenport
HENMEN??

snoflewis
07-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I just saw this on UK Times online edition... enjoy...
According to them, Sharopova has the loudest sound of any WTA player.

it doesnt say anything about the wta...and henman's in the atp..not wta

Rhino
07-04-2006, 06:44 PM
They only put Henman on that list because it's the British press, and they feel the British public might be interested in where he might rank on the shreikometer.

TXKiteboarder
07-04-2006, 06:46 PM
They only put Henman on that list because it's the British press, and they feel the British public might be interested in where he might rank on the shreikometer.

or to show an "average" male player decibel level? doesnt murray grunt more than henman?

Phil
07-04-2006, 07:54 PM
or to show an "average" male player decibel level? doesnt murray grunt more than henman?

I don't recall Henman making ANY noise on court, or at least very little.

fishuuuuu
07-04-2006, 07:59 PM

He does grunt, a bit, under duress ;)

Be that as it may, 60 decibels is only the noise of a "busy shop" anyways. I'm sure all of us on the board at one point or another have made more than 60 decibels on the court.

Dan007
07-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Venus Williams should be in the list and Tim Henman taken out of the list.

Viper
07-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Timmy, only makes like "ahh" or "mph", not freaking " AHHHHHHHH" "BAAAAA"

I also love that quote about Seles <_<

RiosTheGenius
07-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Sharapova is one annoying girl

annoying personality
annoying game
annoying grunts
annoying attitude
annoying father
annoying tone of voice
should I keep going??

jukka1970
07-04-2006, 09:36 PM

I didn't even know Henman ever made noise, never seems to when I've watched him.

emo5
07-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Anyone got an extract of the match becasue it would be really funny!

Another controversial moment was in the Australian open 2005 when Andreas Seppi spat on Hewitt, he copped a $5000 fine!

TENNIS_IS_FUN
07-04-2006, 10:23 PM

I know, i was just wondering why Henman's name was on there because it seemed like such a strange choice...I mean, If Henman is on the list, why isnt the other Williams sister on there as well?

zorg
07-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Anyone got an extract of the match becasue it would be really funny!

Another controversial moment was in the Australian open 2005 when Andreas Seppi spat on Hewitt, he copped a $5000 fine!
Twas Chela that spat.

Young Pete
07-05-2006, 01:22 AM
dementiava's grunt is more of a bruce lee grunt...short and sweet!

9000tennis
07-05-2006, 02:58 AM
It is getting really annoying. I don't wanna watch her play anymore.

But perhaps we should all try and just SCREAM every time we hit a ball, the next time we play tennis. I have a game tonight, and perhaps that will freak my opponent out.. haha...
Of course this will result in me hurting my throat and my band-mates will get upset.. hehe..
I wonder if Sharapova gets a soar throat from time to time? I remember an old goalkeeper, I think he played in Man Utd, and he screamed so much he dislocated his jaw. That would so funny and wierd if Sharapova did that and had to retire :)

baseliner
07-05-2006, 04:25 AM
What an annoying match. Listening to Sharapova and Demon-tieva shriek back and forth.. Too much.

Caswell
07-05-2006, 04:40 AM

Remember, the dBA scale is not linear, it's logarithmic. Increasing a sound intensity by a factor of 10 raises its level by 10 dB. Increasing it by a factor of 100 raises its level by 20 dB; by 1,000, 30 dB and so on.

For those of you who don't think Sharapova is over the top, look at the difference between her shrieks and Seles' grunts. 10dB. That's Sharapova shrieking with 10x the intensity of Seles, who was herself noisy.

How anyone can stand that brat is beyond me. Looks? There are plenty of attractive players on the WTA with class.

Rabbit
07-05-2006, 04:50 AM
Sharapova probably thinks that all the screaming she does on court will cure that bad case of acne she has. Maria...try Clearasil.

heartman
07-05-2006, 06:09 AM
The British press is finally our friend - for all the trivial, humdrum issues they decide to spew about, making a case against Shreikapova is a HUGE step in the right direction. Newcome's got it right, you know, the sound of our opponent's racquet hitting the ball plays a large role in how we react to shots on the tennis court. It's taking "Inner Tennis" concepts a step or two further in my opinion...

Ripper
07-05-2006, 07:23 AM
I have no doubts that Maria's shrieks are more a tactical thing than anything else.

PS: Btw, Henman on the list is just for fun; you just don't understand British humor.

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 08:01 AM
yes her grunts are as loud as a jumbo jet taking off. that is about 120 decibels.

emcee
07-05-2006, 08:42 AM
What kind of article is that? Maria's grunts are really louder than a plane?!?!? If they were, people in the stands everywhere would be suing her for hearing loss!

And Henman is just there for comparison! I thought it'd be obvious since the person before him on the list was 90 something and he was only 65!

Dedans Penthouse
07-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Hmmm.....I wonder what the Sharapova and Dementiavas of the world would think if a number in the crowd would (sarcastically) mimic their shrieking BETWEEN points, i.e. NOT during play. Would their over-the-top sarcasm draw attention to just how affected (phony), calculating and ultimately off-putting their shrieking comes off as? And would it possibly, just possibly make Sharapova/Dementieva themselves self-conscious enough to possibly dial it down a notch? Seriously, what if the crowd started goofing on them with mimicry? During the changeover, for example, the crowd could even perform while "doing-the-wave" thus providing surround sound shrieks.

Really, what COULD the ump do? They're techincally not interupting play. What if they shrieked during the changeovers, i.e. demostrated just like the crowd did during the Goran-Rafter final, albeit in a different direction? What COULD the ump do about it? I think it'd initially be a pain-in-the-neck to the others in attendance, but eventually??.....who knows? What would Sharapova and Demetieva be thinking while sitting there on the changeover and HAVING TO LISTEN to the derisive RIDICULING shrieks? Talk about holding a mirror up to their (shrieking) faces. Would it maybe make them a little more self-conscious; not only about their "turn-off" shrieking in general but the ABSURD levels of shrieking they feel compelled to pull out of their hats during "certain" moments in a match?

Hell, at the very least, I think it'd be fun lampooning those blonde "bed howlers" at 120 decibals myself. Imagine some leather-lung, Brian Johnson (AC/DC) type mimicing their shrieking......I'd be chuckling if not laughing my arse off.

norcal
07-05-2006, 10:47 AM
I'll shriek to that.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060628/capt.1fc7d0a7713b4ccf9c160fba688f331d.britain_wimb ledon_tennis_xwim130.jpg?x=207&y=345&sig=uEArK1k_ZEng2VeCgrQWMw--

d_frank
07-05-2006, 11:13 AM
hahaha i like the quote by Peter Ustinov

Dedans Penthouse
07-05-2006, 03:10 PM
I'll shriek to that.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060628/capt.1fc7d0a7713b4ccf9c160fba688f331d.britain_wimb ledon_tennis_xwim130.jpg?x=207&y=345&sig=uEArK1k_ZEng2VeCgrQWMw--Nice goin' norcal, but can you vouch as to the authenticity of that bifurcated photo
of Maria Clamanova?

Progressive10s
07-05-2006, 03:25 PM
I think that the crowd should shriek in union with them. Like a song-along!

tenis
07-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Let's not forget the US-TV commentators. They don't scream, but they NEWER shut up!?
And they're more of them there than players......?