PDA

View Full Version : What string to use with Tour 90?

edge
03-04-2004, 08:01 AM
I am moving this subject from rackets to strings. My 17 son who has a big cut on the ball has decided to use this racquet after demoing. What string have you guys been matching with for this stick? Previously he was playing with the Zone 7.1 with BB ALU at 55 lbs. Over the last year he grew a couple of inches to 6'1" and added 20 lbs of muscle as he has been lifting and with his old set-up, he couldn't keep the ball on the court! Your suggestions are appreciated.

Loud
03-04-2004, 10:54 AM
I don't think BB ALU has alot of pop to begin with so to go to a lower powered string, you'd have to go to a lower powered poly or a kevlar which might lead to injury.

Maybe you could up the tension a couple of pounds on the ALU or go to a thinner gauge for more ball bite.

audioaffliction
03-04-2004, 10:54 AM
I've used a couple of different strings with my Tour 90s since switching to them last year. Started with plain Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 (I favor thinner gauges) and have tried a few since then. The Gosen is ok if you just want a decent synthetic that you can get cheaply in reels. Also used BB ALU and its various competitors, including Babolat and Ashaway. My current string is Prince Perfection Control 17, which is nice and cheap at under $8 a set. It's got good durability and decent tension holding. However, it takes a while to break in and it will initially feel pretty horrible--at least it did to me, and I almost cut it out after the first two sets I played with it (I didn't because the Babolat Hurricane in my other Tour 90 felt even worse.) Good thing too, another 4-6 hours later, the Perfection Control felt very good. I had mine strung at 61 lbs, but it was probably somewhere in the higher 50s by the time they settled in. Hope this helps, and I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions from other Tour 90 users.

edge
03-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Federer uses VS 17 for the mains and BB ALU Rough for the crosses.

jings
03-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Tried Bow 16L and 17 all gut and had lots of fun. Then decided I'd join the Lux cross-stringers and am now with BB Rough in the crosses. Great string job imo. All the pop and feel of gut, but just tamed a little. I found I did overhit a bit with all gut. Best thing about the hybrid is that the strings don't move and getting good life out of the hybrid as well. At just >$15 a string it kicks the multis way into touch - and this from a former Bab X-cel nutter. i'm at 62 in the Bow mains and 58 in the Rough cross.

Btw I think Fed is technically on the Wilson gut now - made by Bab so same difference really.

Anonymous
03-08-2004, 02:44 AM
I haven't played much with polyester, but gut in the mains helped me impart enough extra spin on hard-hit shots to keep it in.

edge
03-13-2004, 11:28 AM
My 17 year old son played with the Tour 90 today. He said the BB ALU was too stiff (54lbs.) and too much power for this racquet. He liked the TouchTurbo (at 56lbs.) for the Tour 90. He said it was softer and had more control for him. He use to play with a Zone 7.1 with ALU at 55 lbs. last year but with added height and strenght, he needed a control racquet.

PistolPete
03-14-2004, 01:30 PM
i use babolat

edge
03-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys (and Rabbit for TTurbo and Gaines for Lux poly) for all your suggestions. I ordered a couple of reels of Touch Turbo 17 from TW. My 17 yo likes the feel of TTurbo best with the Tour 90. It is less powered than ALU and livelier than Competition. He didn't like the Gosen Syn 17. At $6.11 a stringjob vs. ALU's $13, I'm liking it too.