PDA

View Full Version : Are ALL polyester strings considered "low power"?

emcee
07-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Everyone once in a while when I recommend Luxilon ALU-Power 16L to someone here, someone will say that it's a low power string because it's polyester.

Now I know generally polyester is considered a low power string (I found that to be true with Gosen Polyon), but aren't the newer polys (Luxilon ALU-Power, Babolat Hurricane, etc.) that are all the rage now more powerful than synthetic gut strings? I feel like I get extra zip with ALU-Power and Hurricane, but the Lux got pretty bad ratings for playability in the review TW has.

So my question is this: are all polyesters low power strings? Could I be getting more power by switching to a multifilament or something? I know on string-forums(?).net, the newer polyester strings are getting great power ratings...but some here have said that they only get power because one gets them strung at lower tensions. Maybe that will explain why 1/2 the feedback on ALU-Power says it has no power at all, and the other 1/2 says it has a lot of power?

(p.s. What is the benefit of hybriding a polyester with a cheap synthetic gut like Babolat Super Fine Play? Is it just for comfort reasons or does a hybrid play better or something? Whenever I get a stick strung with polyester at the racquet club, they always ask me if I'm sure I dont' want a hybrid.)

Custom+Hybrid
07-04-2006, 08:40 PM
The newer polyesters are supposed to be more powerful than synthetic gut (solid core nylon) but I find them to be around the same power level after the poly loses it's tension a bit.

Multis on the other hand give more power than polys and synthetic guts.

Having synthetic gut crosses with poly mains will increase comfort and for many cases, power (i.e. Poly Plasma mains). Syn guts are softer than poly but arent as soft as multi crosses. But multi crosses breaks easily with poly mains and the crosses only make up 20% of the stringbed's feel. ANd using $15 crosses with $7 mains doesn't make a lot of sense.

emcee
07-04-2006, 08:46 PM
...Multis on the other hand give more power than polys and synthetic guts...

Is this a fact? I'm not trying to be an ass; I just want to know.

chrisplchs
07-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Multis are more elastic and thus elongate more than polys and syn guts, thus are considered to give more power. Also, almost all poly's are considered to be lower power than syn gut. The big reason why ALU power and all those other luxilon strings are used on tour is not because they can generate power (we let the pros do that themselves) but because they can last longer than traditional poly and generate a ton of spin to keep shots in.

Custom+Hybrid
07-04-2006, 09:39 PM
I guess its not a FACT just because some people might be dilusional and say ALU Power has more power than NXT.

Multifilament nylons have more noticeable ball speed than any poly.

Kevo
07-04-2006, 09:58 PM
In general kevlar is lowest in power, then poly, then syn gut, then multi, then gut. This is in general. Remember tension is also relative for different strings. Some polys are incredibly soft and so they might actually end up at 40lbs. if you string at 60lbs. Most syn guts hold tension much better than that so they may end up at 50lbs. and therefore end up with similar or slightly less "power".

Wondertoy
07-05-2006, 03:09 PM
I beg to differ, Polystar Energy is more powerful than NXT. ALU is a little less powered than NXT. Both create more spin. You hybrid for cost, comfort and/or power. To add power and comfort you add natural gut. To cut cost, you use syn gut. I don't believe syn gut is more comfortable than Polystar Energy and syn gut is only marginally more comfortable than ALU, IMHO.

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
i wouldn't say so i still get alot of power from my polyester strings.

MTChong
07-05-2006, 05:11 PM
I beg to differ, Polystar Energy is more powerful than NXT. ALU is a little less powered than NXT. Both create more spin. You hybrid for cost, comfort and/or power. To add power and comfort you add natural gut. To cut cost, you use syn gut. I don't believe syn gut is more comfortable than Polystar Energy and syn gut is only marginally more comfortable than ALU, IMHO.

Then that's just how you feel it, and you must have a weird feel for things as there is no way that Synth Gut is only marginally more comfortable than ALU; there's a world of difference between the two. And of course, the power thing, you can probably just swing more freely with the added spin, or as another poster noted, those strings lose more tension.

str33t
07-05-2006, 05:15 PM
try a poly/multi setup. my prestige has excel premium for mains and pro hurricane for crosses and it is quite powerful.

dewey2110
07-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Even if some polys give you decent amount of power, they still feel dead...

Justin
07-06-2006, 12:30 PM
I just got 3 of my racquets restrung with Gosen Polylon Comfort 17g and I have to say, I'm really impressed with it. It has great feel, good spin, alot of power, and amazing comfort. IMO, it feels almost better than the Gamma Synthetic Gut 16g I use to have on those racquets.

Saya
07-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Just hit today with a rds001 mid strung with polystar energy at 23kg M / 22kg C and it feels more powerfull than an hybrid with natural gut@25kg M/ gosen Kournikova @24kg cross

datsveryinterestin
07-06-2006, 08:18 PM
If you don't string Gosen Polyon SP up at a normal or higher tension than for a synthetic gut, it feels like a rocket launcher... much more powerful than synthetic gut or even most multis.

Luxilon ALU can feel very powerful if you string it much LOWER than usual.

So I don't think all strings can be grouped and categorized as more or less powerful....

Custom+Hybrid
07-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Multis will give you more power than ANY poly.
Multis will also give you spin too as long as you can brush up on the ball.