PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with glasses?

Roger_federer
07-04-2006, 10:20 PM
For you guys who wear glasses, do you wear it during practises/matches or take them off?

Joe Average
07-04-2006, 10:31 PM
I take them off and switch to contacts. I can't play with glasses. Too distracting. I end up looking outside the frames (peripheral vision being important in tennis). One of the benefits of contacts is that you can then wear non-prescription sunglasses. And they wrap around.

snoflewis
07-04-2006, 10:39 PM
For you guys who wear glasses, do you wear it during practises/matches or take them off?

i have mine on. i have prescription oakleys, so they don't slip since they "hug" the head...which is a bit painful at first...but it pays off since they don't fall off or anything.

BiGGieStuFF
07-04-2006, 10:43 PM
i have mine on. i have prescription oakleys, so they don't slip since they "hug" the head...which is a bit painful at first...but it pays off since they don't fall off or anything.

Which frames do you have?

emcee
07-05-2006, 08:19 AM
I wear my normal glasses and I don't find it a bother at all.

texcoug
07-05-2006, 08:43 AM
I wear Bolle Rx but at night my regular glasses. I think the contacts idea is great if you already have them or if you can get them cheap. Something about my eyes -- they wanted $600 for my first set.

I do not like the Rx inserts though. My Bolle's have a type of competivision lens (not the actual one) but the lens' are prescription. o p t i c s p l a n e t . c o m is a good, cheap site for Rx shades.

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 08:44 AM
i wore sunglasses once but i found it difficult to play as they kept slipping off my head.

Django
07-05-2006, 10:23 AM
I wear contact lenses and Oakley sunglasses. But as the tennis courts are the only place I wear contacts at all, I'm been trying to switch to prescription frames (Oakleys as well). Can't say why, but there's something preferable vision-wise about contacts.

cghipp
07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
I either wear my regular glasses or I wear prescription sunglasses that have a light/medium blue tint. I can wear them well into the evening. I'd love to go without, but I'm farsighted and being at net without my glasses on would be quite dangerous! I've tried to wear contacts many times, but couldn't get a good fit.

snoflewis
07-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Which frames do you have?

my prescription eyeglasses are straight line 2.0s and my sunglasses are a-wires

i broke my first set of straight line 2.0s, and the store that i go to told me they'd get a replacement front piece for me, but their oakley rep just gave them a brand new pair...so i gotta go pick those up for $60 :)

Django
07-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Incidentally, for those folks who complain about distortion, or lens quality, or frames slipping with sweat, etc. I would highly recommend Oakley frames. Plenty of styles/fits to choose from.

Joe Average
07-05-2006, 02:06 PM
I wear Bolle Rx but at night my regular glasses. I think the contacts idea is great if you already have them or if you can get them cheap. Something about my eyes -- they wanted $600 for my first set.

Ouch! $600 is a bit much. I think I paid $190 for my first pair, and I wear a toric lens in my left eye (astigmatism). But after your first pair, you can buy online ... and the costs are signficantly lower. I think I paid $70 for a six-month supply, and because I only wear contacts while playing tennis, I can stretch them out longer. For the first time in my life, last week, I wore sunglasses: the Bolle Vigilantes. I love them. You really can see the ball well. I joked that I may never go back to natural light again. Granted, the frames seem a bit fragile (a common complaint), but I have no complaints so far. And because I'm wearing contacts, there's no need for a RX adapter. And, of course, if I don't need the sunglasses, I can simply take them off and use the contacts.

brucie
07-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Always played in glasses they do fall off now and then but have no probs.

MTChong
07-05-2006, 05:16 PM
I wear contacts; but before, when I was younger, I wore glasses and they were rather annoying. So to answer your original question, I don't wear them for playing - not even sunglasses. I generally stay away from sunglasses and hats; and I'm allergic to sunblock. Here I come skin cancer!

snoflewis
07-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Incidentally, for those folks who complain about distortion, or lens quality, or frames slipping with sweat, etc. I would highly recommend Oakley frames. Plenty of styles/fits to choose from.

definitely agree...my glasses have never fallen off unless i got hit in the face w/ a basketball...which isnt too often these days :)

hgb765
07-05-2006, 06:19 PM
ew omg glasses suck sooooo bad
ii begged my mom for contacts for liek a year and i finally got them and they're SOOOOOOO much better
so yeah get contacts

donnyz89
07-05-2006, 06:28 PM
yea... sadly i wear glasses. its ok until its 90 and you sweat like crazy and they slip off during a point. I'm looking to get contacts though...

iconoclast
07-05-2006, 07:04 PM
I either wear my regular glasses or I wear prescription sunglasses that have a light/medium blue tint. I can wear them well into the evening. I'd love to go without, but I'm farsighted and being at net without my glasses on would be quite dangerous! I've tried to wear contacts many times, but couldn't get a good fit.
I am farsighted, too. I wear contacts while playing, but my eyes feel dry and they tire quickly. Why is it so difficult for us to find a good fit?

Roger_federer
07-05-2006, 07:37 PM
thats exactly the problem i have. I use these focus dailies, and they get dried so quickly that it is even more annying than my glasses.

Rincon
07-05-2006, 10:03 PM
yea... sadly i wear glasses. its ok until its 90 and you sweat like crazy and they slip off during a point. I'm looking to get contacts though...

UGH! I know what you mean! Where I am it gets to be about 90+ and I sweat tons so whenever I don't wear my headband or hat, the sweat from my hair drips onto my lenses. They also slipped off three times during an exhibition match so I took them off, I missed the ball so many times.

D-man
07-06-2006, 12:24 AM
In 14 years of playing while wearing glasses (just normal ones) i've never had them fall off that i can remember and hardly even notice them, and i'm a pretty good player.

cghipp
07-06-2006, 05:42 AM
I am farsighted, too. I wear contacts while playing, but my eyes feel dry and they tire quickly. Why is it so difficult for us to find a good fit?

I'm not sure. I have dry eyes to start with, which doesn't help. I've tried at least six different types of contacts, with no luck. Whenever, I blink, I feel like the lens comes away from my eye, and I can see the space between my eye and the lens. I have to keep blinking until it settles back down. I finally just gave up and decided I am just a glasses wearer, and that's that. It's SO much easier to just take your glasses off at the end of the day, anyway.

rasajadad
07-06-2006, 06:09 AM
I use glasses indoors (unless it's too hot or humid). I see best with these.
I use a one time use disposable contact outdoors. I play best with these.
I am starting to use the Nike contacts. I like them better than the regular contacts, but only in sun. The jury is till out in mixed light (shadows) and I hate them in low light.

stc9357
07-06-2006, 07:26 AM
I usually don't have trouble with my glasses falling off but when its really hot which is often in NC then I put my sports band on the back of my glasses to make sure they don't slip off never know it could be a point that decides a match.

hgb765
07-06-2006, 06:13 PM
thats exactly the problem i have. I use these focus dailies, and they get dried so quickly that it is even more annying than my glasses.

get soft contact lenses
i use are acuvue oasys they don't dry out my eyes at all and you replace them every two weeks
its great
whoever invented contacts is liek my hero

Justin
07-06-2006, 06:52 PM
I don't wear my glasses. They don't make a difference in my game.

Roy
07-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Glasses for practice and contacts for tournaments for me.

backcourt
07-07-2006, 08:02 AM
I cant wear glasses unless the temp. is about 70 or lower, when I occassionaly wear RX sunglasses. Otherwise I always wear contacts. If its at all warm my glasses fog and get covered with sweat. But I do play with lots of guys who wear glasses and it doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

mctennis
07-11-2006, 04:36 PM
I bought some sport prescription goggles to wear playing tennis. They were about $80 but that is a lot cheaper than my $350 pair of prescription glasses. That and I thnk the goggles protect your face better if you are hit.

jaykay
07-11-2006, 04:47 PM
I have worn glasses for sport for 20+ years. I'm a high-myopic (aka 'nerd') and also have astigmatism.

I struggled to find the right contact lens for a while and could either never get comfortable or couldn't get the proper vision correction.

I recently switched to Acuvue's Toric Contact lens which not only corrects my myopia but also my astigmatism. After a short period of getting used to the lens (monthly disposables), I'm now very satisfied with them on the court.

Contact lens defly offer better depth perception and peripheral vision as compared to glasses.

On sunny days, I wear my Maui Jim Mapaha sunglasses or sometimes my Bolle' Parole Sunglasses with the Competivision lens.

Cheers!

Acraig426
07-16-2006, 11:40 AM
I wear glasses, but for tennis I usually pop in my contacts. Recently, though, I got a pair of Nike sport contacts, they're this reddish-orange color and work like a pair of bole sunglasses but in contact form. They eliminate almost all glare, and the ball stands out from the court more. They're not too cheap (around $40 a pair, I think), but in my opinion they're well worth it.

Ky0shiro
07-16-2006, 11:49 AM
I wear glasses when I play tennis, otherwise the ball would seem very blurry to me and it'd feel kinda weird.

austro
07-20-2006, 09:38 AM
I use Bolle Turbulence (with Competivision). No slipping at all. After 20 years of wearing glasses, I have finally switched to contacts. What a blessing! Make the transition - it's worth it!