PDA

View Full Version : Shrieking Ban????

brucie
07-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Well as it says in title should one be imposed.

Everyone here knows who were talking about I was on court 1 at wimby and could hear her on court 2! Yes the other side of the grounds!

HyperHorse
07-05-2006, 12:22 AM
While i agree that its somewhat unfair... you really cant do anything about it...
Breathing in, and exhaling on impact actually gives u a bit more power....
The fiasco back in the 90s with Seles i thought was really, really unfair....
anyway i dont watch womens tennis anymore, so meh...

brucie
07-05-2006, 12:28 AM
While i agree that its somewhat unfair... you really cant do anything about it...
Breathing in, and exhaling on impact actually gives u a bit more power....
The fiasco back in the 90s with Seles i thought was really, really unfair....
anyway i dont watch womens tennis anymore, so meh...

I know what you mean and creating a reasonable rule would be difficult, but claiming distractions etc. is also. Maybe umpire should have one of those things they use to read the noise a player makes and limit it to 75decibels etc. with a point penalty.

I mean you can shout things when you play so why can players get away with screaming?

ED_4.6HSE
07-05-2006, 01:59 AM
A bit of noise when you hit a hard shot or serve but this sharapova style shreiking is awful. I could hear her from centre court when i was watching a match on court 18!

Its entertainment at the end of the day, ban it!

luke_1983uk
07-05-2006, 02:04 AM
I was on court 1 at wimby and could hear her on court 2! Yes the other side of the grounds!
- pretty much impossible

dont get me wrong but number 1 court has the big screen and speakers atatched to it, so you are going to hear maria she was shown on the big screen! there is no way you could hear maria anyother way from number 2 court, it is just too far away from number 1, you cant even hear the crowd outside of the court.
i saw maria play on the first wednesday on court 1 and to tell you the truth, her grunting is nowhere near as bad as they make it seem on the radio and on tv, people need to lay off maria and give her a break, let her tennis do the talking.

Marius_Hancu
07-05-2006, 02:40 AM
One can easily exhale into the shot without shrieking. I am doing it all the time.
This is just intimidation at work.
Started with Seles, and should have been stopped right then and there.

baseliner
07-05-2006, 04:28 AM
I remember when the controversy was over Seles shrieking. The point was made she never shrieked in practice, only in matches. Clearly gamesmanship. Anyone know if Sharapova shrieks in practice? No reason the WTA couldn't ban the shrieking. My new policy "No equal pay for women until shrieking ban imposed by WTA!"

Rabbit
07-05-2006, 04:45 AM
I heard Nick Bollitieri say in an interview that he had advised Sharapova to stop the shrieking that one day, it would catch up with her. She declined.

brucie
07-05-2006, 04:45 AM
-people need to lay off maria and give her a break, let her tennis do the talking.

Id like to seriously, i really like her attitude and game, looks etc etc.
I also like dementieva,and in dementievas words she is cheating, i dont like cheats, and i dont like grunters, so people who grunt so loud its considered a distraction and so cheating i like even less. :mad:

tennissavy
07-05-2006, 08:07 AM
There can't be any gray area with the noise made by players. Either allow it or prohibit it. It would be absurd to measure each player's decibel level constantly or even leave it to the discretion of the chair umpire since there would be no uniformity in rule enforcement.

BTW, David Ferrer was just as loud as Sharapova at wimbledon this year and no one said a word about him.

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 08:15 AM
yes i find it very aggravating and i bet the players do aswell.

emcee
07-05-2006, 08:38 AM
The worst shrieker is Venus Williams. At least Maria sounds human. Venus grunts (UHHHH-AAAAAHHH!) on freakin' drop shots! Clearly gamemanship.

Ronnie7
07-05-2006, 09:39 AM
This is the worst topic. Ever.

How can you ban shrieking? That's like banning sweating and having your shoes squeek. Holy ****, dude.

sureshs
07-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Nadal too.

d_frank
07-05-2006, 10:32 AM
- people need to lay off maria and give her a break, let her tennis do the talking.
her one slam? :p

i think there should be a ban. Its only gotten worse in the past few years. Maria used to bearable to watch a few years back, but now its like watching her getting her hands cut off with a hacksaw.

if the greatest player in the world can dominate without shrieking, i think anyone can.

vkartikv
07-05-2006, 10:45 AM
How can you set limits? So now in addition to the cyclops we will have a decibelmeter on court as well? It should just be banned altogether unless you are reaching out for a shot.

ambro
07-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Nadal too.
Nadal doesn't shreik, he grunts. There's a difference. What he, as well as most other tour players, do is reasonable, because you can tell it's (usually) because it's their normal reaction to hitting.

Venus and Maria, on the other hand, are absolutely ridiculous. They scream as loud as they can every time they hit a da.mn shot, and that's why I don't watch either one of them anymore. What they do should be banned, but if they can tone it down to normal it's fine in my book.

dh003i
07-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Roger Federer doesn't make that kind of noise hitting the ball, yet he can hit it pretty damn well.

As someone else said, if the best player in the world can dominate the field without shrieking, then it isn't necessary.

Shrieking is something Sharapova -- and I do like her game otherwise -- does on purpose. It is cheating, gamesmanship, and is pretty disgusting.

brucie
07-07-2006, 12:15 AM
So I suppose if its legal then we may as well take advantage of it, and do it too!!!

croatian sensation
07-07-2006, 02:56 AM
Shrieking is something Sharapova -- and I do like her game otherwise -- does on purpose. It is cheating, gamesmanship, and is pretty disgusting.

Ditto.

You can't make that shriek just by exhaling. There is a clear difference between a grunt most of players make and her shrieks.

I bet that was Yuri's brilliant idea- "since you can't volley you can make it up by shrieking and distracting your opponents"

K. Wilson Moose
07-08-2006, 07:56 AM
Grunting is fine, but these banshee like shreiks are totally annoying and distracting. I was a Sharapova fan, but that woeful wail is poison for her.

Venus is just annoying period. Did anyone see her kiss her VENUS necklace in her last match? Good grief, that is disgustingly self absorbed! Glad the Williams sisters are on their way out.

It was great to see Henin-Hardenne and Mauresmo in the final today, and really great to see Mauresmo conquer her nerves and win. These 2 grunt a little when they are really exerting, but it is normal and hardly noticeable, 2 great champions.

Kobble
07-08-2006, 08:18 AM
I know non-tennis fans who hate it. They can't stand to hear it on tv. I am waiting for someone to personally employ a heckler full-time to combat it. Every serve they yell in the ball toss on break points, set points, and match points.

One other thing, is an opponent allowed to talk to their opponent while hitting? You know, like Trevino. "So, how about those Knicks, Maria?"

typingchamp
07-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Does no one remember that they did impose a shrieking ban on Monica Seles that one year?

That was ridiculous . . . and imposing one again will be just as stupid. Please remember history people.

Swissv2
07-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Hey if Sharapovia wants to sqreal her orgasms on courte, then so be it. :p

brucie
07-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Well MAC was talkind of it in a rain delay, decibel meters, etc.

tpduke112
07-08-2006, 12:50 PM
The worst shrieker is Venus Williams. At least Maria sounds human. Venus grunts (UHHHH-AAAAAHHH!) on freakin' drop shots! Clearly gamemanship.
So does Maria.

EclipseRydr97
07-08-2006, 01:07 PM
This is the worst topic. Ever.

How can you ban shrieking? That's like banning sweating and having your shoes squeek. Holy ****, dude.

Those are different things, different concept. Perspiration is something just about all of us cannot control. On the other hand, shrieking is relatively easy to control. Sharapova has proven that to us in the past and last match at Wimby too...she didn't shriek or yell or anything and still won the point.