PDA

View Full Version : Baghdatis - 3rd best player in world according to Gilbert?

tennisjunkiela
07-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Today on the Wimbledon broadcast, Brad Gilbert just said that Baghdatis is the 3rd best player in the world!

He cited his excellent movement, serve, and forehand as his best weapons but said that he just needs to play his A game with confidence.

Was this a dig at Roddick or is Gilbert on to something?

Your thoughts

jaggy
07-05-2006, 08:46 AM
On his day he is up there but I doubt anyone would put Roddick in the top 3 lately

malakas
07-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Hope Gilbert is right!!:D
But..marcos has still a lot to work on.Especially his mental game..because when it seems that he has the upper hand...he just blows it..:(

Rhino
07-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Today on the Wimbledon broadcast, Brad Gilbert just said that Baghdatis is the 3rd best player in the world!

He cited his excellent movement, serve, and forehand as his best weapons but said that he just needs to play his A game with confidence.

Was this a dig at Roddick or is Gilbert on to something?

Your thoughts
It's hardly a dig at Roddick, he's no longer even in the top 10 best players in the world.
Watching him play out there now against Hewitt, he may actually have a point. Look at the top 10 players in the world, who is better? He beat the current #3 and #4 at the AusOpen.

counterpunch
07-05-2006, 08:52 AM
i think brad gilbert is proving himself to be a moron...baghdatis has had one tournament in his career, thats it. this one is big but quarters should be no big thing if he really is #3.

Virtuous
07-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Marcos isn't consistent enough to be the #3 player in the world. As usual, brad gilbert and his flair for exaggeration....

In D Zone
07-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Marcos B certainly has the potential - and from the looks of it he is quietly building his game back to the level he showed at the Aussie Open.

Hope he can go deep (semi) - its great for tennis!

arosen
07-05-2006, 09:34 AM
i think brad gilbert is proving himself to be a moron...baghdatis has had one tournament in his career, thats it. this one is big but quarters should be no big thing if he really is #3.

I beg to differ. Bags has been getting tough draws, and if he beats Hewitt he in the semis at Wimby. That's huge.

malakas
07-05-2006, 09:36 AM
On ONLY his second Wimby!!!It was no more than a month ago that he was stating that he didn't like grass at all and that grass is for playing football!!!

skip1969
07-05-2006, 09:48 AM
i think brad gilbert is proving himself to be a moron
word! if gilbert picks someone, it's a DEAD CERT that you should pick the other guy. his "predictions" . . . and his "expert analysis" are almost legendary. somebody call the folks at guinness world records!

fastdunn
07-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Actually, in terms of movements and strokes, Baghdatis
is closer to Sampras than Federer is.
Explosive and atheletic movements and pure shooting style strokes.

AngeloDS
07-05-2006, 10:41 AM
He's good enough; though I feel he lacks in fitness and match play. I expect him to be like Nadal soon and rise up after he does a lot of matches.

He's proven he can beat top 10 players and he's shown he has the weapons (forehand, serve and backhand down the line).

fastdunn
07-05-2006, 10:52 AM
The thing is Bahgdatis is the exact type of player who can beat
Federer and Nadal. Explosive shot maker. That makes him dangerously
a potential to break the top. 90% of current top pros
have basically consistent baseline game. Federer and Nadal are the
best in this consistent baseline game. You'll need attacking style
with shot making ability to break this wall of two men.

Viper
07-05-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm sick of Brad as a commentor. He needs to just shut up, watch the game, because no one CARES about his (wrong) predictions.

MasterTS
07-05-2006, 10:57 AM

Quarters of a slam is a big thing! Look at how many quarters Ljubicic has been in..

And in a few minutes it'll be a slam semis.

Shabazza
07-05-2006, 11:01 AM
right now, he's playing like the 3rd best player out there!

tennisjunkiela
07-05-2006, 11:22 AM
looks like brad is on to something

shawn1122
07-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Well, he's the second best player at Wimbledon right now. (Unless you want to use seedings and say that Nadal is second best :o )

Or maybe I'm horribly underestimating Bjorkman.

Moose Malloy
07-05-2006, 11:37 AM
so how did he almost lose to a british wildcard ranked 367 in the 1st round?
talk about playing yourself into form..

arnz
07-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Baghdatis looked pretty good out there today, he has the potential to challenge Nadal and Federer, the #1 and #2.

If he meets Nadal and beats him, then Fed in the final, he would achieve something really phenomenal. Easier said than done of course, but then I might start believing Gilbert.

tennisfreak
07-05-2006, 11:39 AM
I actually disagree with Gilbert here. Bagdhitis is the second best player in the world.

malakas
07-05-2006, 11:45 AM

Marcos was sick.He was pucking in the field.He had to take two medical time-outs for groin problems and pulling of leg-muscles.

Rabbit
07-05-2006, 11:52 AM
This thread has two subjects, Baggy and Gilbert.

Baghdatis - he apparently is the real deal. He didn't have a stellar French, but he may be better on faster surfaces. He certainly doesn't look the part of a fast court player, but then again that may be part of his arsenal. I think folks tend to underestimate him. The other thing is how well he'll do his sophmore season. Much like Roddick came out and set the world on fire, the other guys will figure his game out if he has any flaws. Next year we'll be able to tell more about him.

Gilbert - I like his commentary, I like his prediction. At least he has stones enough to go out there and tell you who is a dangerous player. He did really well predicting an upset with Nadal in the 2nd round against a new face. Fact is, Nadal should have lost that match. He was on the brink of losing the other guy let the occasion, pressure, and physicality get to him. Gilbert said Baghdatis is the 3rd best player in the world before the semis with Hewitt if I read the time stamp correctly. Federer picked Hewitt to advance through his draw. Looks like Gilbert is smarter than your average bear.

Mary Carillo opined that Gilbert may have said something to Andy Murray prior to his match with Andy Roddick about how to beat him. I find that funnier than hell. She went on to say that there is "no way" Roddick would hire Gilbert back as his coach. Pride it would seem does go before the fall. If Gilbert hooks up with Murray and the English Tennis Federation, I'd look for Murray to rise preciptously in the rankings due in no small part to Gilbert's coaching abilities.

The tennis guy
07-05-2006, 11:58 AM

It also has a lot to do with dry wear out grass. He fell on his butt so many times on green grass in his first round match.

Simon Cowell
07-05-2006, 12:19 PM
I actually disagree with Gilbert here. Bagdhitis is the second best player in the world.

So you're putting Federer third? That's a pretty strong statement there, but bravo for your guts.

harryz
07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
but remember that Agassi turned his career around when he started working with Gilbert and learned how to work points and not give so many away with loose errors. If my (aging) memory serves, many of Agassi's slam victories were under BG's tenure and guidance as his coach. Likewise, it was under Gilbert that Roddick won the US Open. So give the guy some credit before you slam him.

Don't forget, BG got further with less than just about any pro out there. I saw him beat Becker in DC before doing the same at the US Open, which is no mean feat. He's worth hearing out, IMO.

In D Zone
07-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Gilbert as a coach has a lot to show for especially with the wins his players produced. Of course, there are those who disregard his abilities because they don't like his tough and honest accessments. I am sure he is in a better position to comment and the experince, afterall he sees and meets with these pro's almost everyday during the tour.

MD on the war path! Next step is the show down with RAFA! Marcos better be ready this time. No more excuses!

diegaa
07-05-2006, 01:32 PM
3rd player?? c´mon. i dont think there is need of a thread about it. he is no near that place.

skip1969
07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
woops, double post.

skip1969
07-05-2006, 02:15 PM
no one is arguing that baghdatis isn't supremely talented. or that he COULD be very very good in the future (he's already quite good).

by that same token, gilbert has knowledge as a coach, sure . . . but he's STILL an idiot. jumping on the baghdatis bandwagon (cos he's thinking bags will beat hewitt and make it to the semis) is easy enough to do. but saying he's #3 in the world is just gilbert being gilbert. making outrageous claims is this thing. but there isn't much to back it up.

look at bags' record since australia. look at who's in the top 10. and what they've done this year. does gilbert honestly think bags is right there behind nadal and fed this year?? i want some of what he's been smoking then. ;)

if getting to the semis of wimbledon is enough to get you into gilbert's top 3 list, then last year it must have been thomas johansson who was 3rd in the world. better yet, baghdatis was runner-up in australia in january. guess he was number #2 then (and he didn't even know it). sure, nice logic there, brad.

to quote edward r. murrow, “Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 02:17 PM
well i suppose i could agree with tht, behind nadal and federer this statment could be valid.

fastdunn
07-05-2006, 02:20 PM
well i suppose i could agree with tht, behind nadal and federer this statment could be valid.

Well, according to 2006 Wimbledon. he is among top 4.
Highly likely to be #2 or #3 (2006 Wimbledon-wise) unless
seemingly irrelevant Bjorkman somehow beat Federer.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Gilbert is right, though I believe Baggy is the no. 2 player in the world behind Fed Express.

Simon Cowell
07-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Gilbert is right, though I believe Baggy is the no. 2 player in the world behind Fed Express.

LoL, based on no grand slams?

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-05-2006, 03:23 PM
no, based on what will happen on Friday when Bags and NAdal meet.

Simon Cowell
07-05-2006, 03:24 PM
no, based on what will happen on Friday when Bags and NAdal meet.

Yeah, we've all heard that one before. Please let me save you the heartbreak. Nadal in straight sets. ;)

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah, we've all heard that one before. Please let me save you the heartbreak. Nadal in straight sets.

QUE?
Nadal couldn't even beat HEwitt on grass:rolleyes: , while Bags crushed him:cool:

Kobble
07-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Baghdatis is the new Rios, but with charm. With that said, I really wish he was in Federer's end of the draw, because that Bjorkman match is pointless.

dh003i
07-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Baghdatis will crush Nadal if they meet (if Nadal even gets to the semi-final). Baghdatis is a full-package player with all the shots.

I now have to say I hope Nadal doesn't get to the final, because a Federer-Nadal final would be a blowout with Fed winning. Not only that, but Baghdatis is a great guy, and exhibits real emotion -- not this macho forced BS that Nadal does -- and is genuinely pleasant to watch play. It would be an interesting match in the Finals, although I still think Federer would win, although not as easily as over Nadal.

fastdunn
07-05-2006, 04:42 PM
I somehow sense both Federer and Federer fans do not want to
have Nadal on sunday....

dh003i
07-05-2006, 05:06 PM
fastdunn,

If Bagh wouldn't be his likely opponent , I would want him to make it to the Wimbledon finals, because Federer would crush him. Nadal wouldn't take a set from him, or a service game, and might even be bagelled.

But, if he makes it to he semis, he'll probably have to defeat Baghdatis, and that I don't think will happen. Furthermore, I don't want that to happen, because Baghdatis is truly an entertaining player, who shows genuine emotion (not gamesmanship forced macho BS, like Nadal).

Also, Baghdatis would definately be the toughest final for Federer. Baghdatis has the best chance of anyone in the Wimbledon to really push Federer, and make it a contested match, possibly winning a set or two off of Federer.

bluescreen
07-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Also, Baghdatis would definately be the toughest final for Federer. Baghdatis has the best chance of anyone in the Wimbledon to really push Federer, and make it a contested match

i agree w/ this. hewitt won stella artois and bags beat him farely easily in 4, which is really saying something. now of course the nadal lovers would say nadal would've won if he didnt pull out, but it was a close match between those 2 in queens. bags simply outplayed him the entire match, perhaps foreshadowing his eventual appearance in the final this year.

if he doesnt wander like he did at the end of the 2nd set today i think he's got a great shot no matter who he plays in the semis.

Phil
07-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Bags is a smart player; I like the way he moves the ball around the court. Also like his attitude, which is enthusiastic without being annoying or degrading to his opponents (ala Hewitt and Nadal). He looks like he WANTS to be on court, unlike a lot of hang dog players.

Also, he looks to me like a man who's on his way to the neighborhood bar, possibly with a couple hundred bucks he just won in the lottery buring a hole in his pocket-free drinks! Even with the pony tail, he's a Joe Average looking kind of guy, facially and with his un-svelte build.

Grigollif1
07-05-2006, 05:38 PM
So you're putting Federer third? That's a pretty strong statement there, but bravo for your guts.

hahaaha!!! So if he was putting Marcos Baghdatis ahead of Federer, It means that he has Guts, bravo for a strong statement. Now, that he really meant ahead of Nadal, he is insane??? hehehe.. Your biases towards Nadals is so obvious is not even funny Mr. Cowell..

vicnan
07-05-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't remember the exact quote, but I don't recall Gilbert saying Baghdatis *is* #3, only that he has the potential to be #3.

tennisfreak
07-05-2006, 06:27 PM
If Nadal gets past Nieminen, Bagdhatis has a real shot at Nadal. In a Badhatis-Nadal semifinal, I see a close, gritty match. Bagdhatis has to have the slight edge here, if his fitness is up to par, since he is a slightly bigger hitter. This is on grass, of course... on clay, Nadal is pretty much unstoppable since he'll get everything back and wear you down, or bore you to death... ala Hewitt, except to a higher degree.

This Wimbledon... I really believe Baghdatis is the second best player... behind Federer. If Nadal bores Badhatis to death and gets to play Federer in the final, it's Fed in straight sets. If Baghdatis gets through behind his remarkable array of shots and flair for the game... I see a four setter with Fed... with it being very tight until Baghdatis tires out and Fed rolls over him.

My rankings this wimbledon:

1. Fed
2. Baghdatis
3. Ancic - the match between Ancic and Fed could have been the final if Ancic were on the other side of the draw
4. Nadal

= marios =
07-06-2006, 06:14 AM
I think if Bags had to face Ancic he'd probably lose. There's just something about that guy's game that Marcos hasn't figured out how to deal with yet.

d70
07-06-2006, 06:26 AM
bagdad is good but whatever comes out of gilbert's mouth is always totaly crap.

tennisjunkiela
07-06-2006, 06:54 AM
My rankings this wimbledon:

1. Fed
2. Baghdatis
3. Ancic - the match between Ancic and Fed could have been the final if Ancic were on the other side of the draw
4. Nadal

not sure why you described that fed-ancic "could have been a final"?

to quote pmac, he called the fed-ancic match a "comprehensive whipping"

Tchocky
07-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Once again...Gilbert is wrong. This guy has yet to win a single tournament. He's definitely capable of getting in the Top 10 with a win over Nadal but Top 3...come on?

= marios =
07-06-2006, 07:11 AM
I agree with those who say that we need to see Bags play for a couple more years before we elevate him to top 3 status... and i'm from Cyprus.

He is clearly talented and great to watch but he still needs to prove he can be consistent. I do feel he can make it though.

MasterTS
07-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Once again...Gilbert is wrong. This guy has yet to win a single tournament. He's definitely capable of getting in the Top 10 with a win over Nadal but Top 3...come on?

According to ESPN baggy is already in the top 10 after beating hewitt.. He'll be rank #5 if he beats Nadal tomorrow. That's not far off from top3 since Ljub sucks compared to baggy -- ivan simple doesnt show up at slams... who else is preventing baggy from the #3 position?

tennisjunkiela
07-06-2006, 07:19 AM
According to ESPN baggy is already in the top 10 after beating hewitt.. He'll be rank #5 if he beats Nadal tomorrow. That's not far off from top3 since Ljub sucks compared to baggy -- ivan simple doesnt show up at slams... who else is preventing baggy from the #3 position?

masterts - you are correct.

and actually, the previous poster misquoted gilbert - he said that baggy would be top 5 if he beat nadal, not #3. regarding #3, he said that baggy is the 3rd best player in the world when he is on his A game with confidence.

Baghdatis72
10-12-2006, 02:18 PM

It's too early for Baggy to be #3 and him being #9 now is more than satisfying for me personally. Getting up the ranks fast can be a negative thing sometimes and Baggy has to gain consistency, get the serves in and believe in himself before he can be a #3.