PDA

View Full Version : Longest match ever @ Wimbledon

norcal
07-05-2006, 11:06 AM
No spoiler cause it's dubs and only available on Wimby streaming.

Just concluded. 23-21 in the 5th Knowles/Nestor d. Aspelin/Perry, over 6 hours. Some truly amazing points.

Knowles accused Norm Chryst (sp) of being corrupt after a late call. He said, "how much are they paying you, Norm?" (meaning Aspelin/Perry). Chryst says, "you be very careful". Knowles, "No I'm serious, you give them all the calls, how much are they paying you?"

Chryst does nothing. Damn the chair umps take some serious abuse.

Rabbit
07-05-2006, 12:58 PM
I agree, that match was great. However, tennis umps don't take near the abuse of other sports. Chryst, it seems, has a very high opinion of himself. I never cared much for him. The call in question wasn't late, it wasn't made. There was a ball on the baseline that the commentators even said was out, cleary out. Chryst did nothing like he apparently did the other times (in Knowles opinion). I didn't see much before that because I was watching the old farts play.

Moose Malloy
07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
However, tennis umps don't take near the abuse of other sports.

I don't agree. You say something like Knowles said in NBA/MLB you get tossed out or get technicals. Or very big fine later(see Mark Cuban accusing the NBA of being rigged or many players/coaches criticizing officials)

No NBA players get away with verbal abuse/profanity that Connors & Mac did. Roddick said "fu" to the umpire in indian wells this year(loudly) he just got a warning. he would have been ejected in any other sport.

the umpires are rather weak in tennis compared to other sports. they know that a default results in very unhappy fans, so they let a lot go on. in team sports a player getting ejected doesn't end the game, so the dymanics are different for officials.

th41291
07-05-2006, 01:55 PM
i have a question...is 23-21 in games? how did that work? did they go through 17 tie breaks? someone feel like eexplainging thanks

Simon Cowell
07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
i have a question...is 23-21 in games? how did that work? did they go through 17 tie breaks? someone feel like eexplainging thanks

The idiots at the Aus/Wimbledon/French decided that a 5th set tie break would be unfair for some reason, so a player or a team must beat the other by 2 games to win.

th41291
07-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Haha, that's how they set world records? Damn 193 minutes for the 5th set. Haha!

Return_Ace
07-05-2006, 03:10 PM
/agreed with d_frank

it's you 'mericanos that need a slap for having a 5th set tiebreak

+ 6h 9m ftw.

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
over 6 hours, thats mental i could play 10 sets in that time and still proberbly fit another 5 in afterwards.

hoosierbr
07-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Chryst is a notorious hothead who has defaulted players in the past for arguing with him: Kafelnikov, Rafter, etc. Surprised he didn't toss Knowles.

shawn1122
07-05-2006, 06:54 PM
The idiots at the Aus/Wimbledon/French decided that a 5th set tie break would be unfair for some reason, so a player or a team must beat the other by 2 games to win.
You're wrong, this is the way it should be done. The point of this sport is to break your opponents serve. That requires you to win at least 4 points while they are serving. In a 5th set tiebreak, the match can be gone with just one point lost on serve. That puts way too much importance on each point and a bad call could screw things up even more. This is the fair way to play. The US Open should be doing the same thing, but its in America and Americans always think that if they do things their way, then everyone will eventually follow. I don't think it's gonna happen this time, so the people at the USO should just scrap the 5th set tiebreak now and conform with the other slams. I wanted to see Blake vs. Agassi go until 4 am last year.

dmastous
07-05-2006, 07:02 PM
John McEnroe has long been advocating a 5th set tiebreak. He says playing it out makes for bad tennis. Players are dragging themselves around just trying not to loose. A tiebreak will mean better tennis late in matches.
Do I agree????
Not on your life. I think, historically, many of the best matches have been marathon type matches. I love playing it out in Grand Slams. I wish they would go back to no tiebreaks at all.

raftermania
07-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Knowles is the man. Last time I saw him live on CBC he dropped an F-Bomb on the umpire, "That's ****ing bull****!!!!"