PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's serve

Roforot
07-05-2006, 10:10 AM
One thing that's impressed me is how much bigger his serve looks recently. I remember last year, almost all of his serves looked like they were just being spun in, then in french open, I thought they looked stronger, but definitely from Wimbledon his serves are much more potent. I mean his aces before were kind of trickly slicing serves that caught people off guard, but now he's putting it past people and it's hitting the backwall w/ good pace!

Whenever a developed player makes that kind of stroke improvement, I'm always curious b/c it may help me to make my own breakthroughs? Did he get a special coach, change his gear, or has he been practicing more on the serve? Or do you think it's just the grass is making his serve big?

Roforot
07-06-2006, 03:46 AM
?No other thoughts or observations?
To give another example of a pro making a significant improvement is James Blake's backhand. I find at pro level they improve their mental and fitness but not often their strokes which are so grooved. I don't use 1handed bh but am curious also about Blake did it. However, I do have a lefty serve... :)

naturalgut
07-06-2006, 03:56 AM
Yeah, i noticed that Nadal is getting more power on his serve this year too. I'm not sure what he worked on though, and I still think his serve on the Ad side is too predictable (Always swinging to his RH opponent's backhand). As good as his serve has been this year, I don't think that its as good a stroke as the rest of the top ten.

unjugon
07-06-2006, 04:49 AM
?No other thoughts or observations?
To give another example of a pro making a significant improvement is James Blake's backhand. I find at pro level they improve their mental and fitness but not often their strokes which are so grooved. I don't use 1handed bh but am curious also about Blake did it. However, I do have a lefty serve... :)
I kinda agree with this. Looking at Blakeīs backhand one would think itīs a weird, weak shot which he hits without confidence...whereas in reality he rarely misses from that side.

Ok so itīs not the best backhand in the world? It doesnīt need to be, it does just fine. Besides, Blakeīs problem is in his head, not with his strokes.

Roforot
07-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Yeah, i noticed that Nadal is getting more power on his serve this year too. I'm not sure what he worked on though, and I still think his serve on the Ad side is too predictable (Always swinging to his RH opponent's backhand). As good as his serve has been this year, I don't think that its as good a stroke as the rest of the top ten.

I'd agree it's probably not as good as the other top 10, but it's definitely gone from being a liability to a weapon of sorts. I remember that he rarely got cheap points w/ his serve and it seemed like he held based on his groundstrokes and had to use a fair amount of energy. A bigger serve should prolong his career. Looking at his groundstrokes I couldn't believe he wasn't hitting a harder serve like all of the other Spanish players!

I read somewhere that Dementieva had sought out Richard Kraijeck to work on her serve, and he reported that she sort of had a pretty decent serve in practice. She's another player who's going to dominate like Nadal once she gets her head together about her serve.