PDA

View Full Version : Only A Few Places Left to See A Legend of the Game

RadekStepanekTheKing
07-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Only A Few Places Left to See A Legend of the Game

Andre Agassi has announced he will retire from professional tennis, and Cincinnati’s Western & Southern Financial Group Masters may be one of the last places ever to see him.

Agassi told reporters in London he would play four summer hardcourt tournaments in the U.S. and then retire after the U.S. Open.

According to officials at the ATP, Agassi has entered tournaments in Los Angeles and Washington D.C. and will be entered at the two ATP Masters Series events in Toronto and Cincinnati.

In an interview with the Cincinnati Enquirer, Julie Stipe, spokeswoman for Agassi Enterprises, confirmed Agassi plans to play Cincinnati along with Los Angeles, Washington D.C. and Toronto.

“It will depend on his physical condition at the time, and nothing is certain until he steps on the court, but we expect Andre will be making his final appearance at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in August,” said tournament chairman Paul Flory. “For decades, Andre has been a first- class player and, more importantly, a first-class human being. The game and his fans will miss seeing him on the court.”

Agassi has made 13 appearances in Cincinnati since 1990, winning three singles titles (1995, 1996 & 2004), and the only doubles title of his career (1993).

He’s amassed a 31-10 record in Cincinnati (.756), second-best among active players (of those with 15 or more matches) only to Andy Roddick’s 13-4 (.765) record.

He became the second-oldest champion in Cincinnati’s 100-plus year history when he took the title in 2004 at age 34 years, 3 months and 10 days in 2004. (Ken Rosewall was 35 when he won the title in 1970.)

The $2.45 million Western & Southern Financial Group Masters will be held August 11-20 at the Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason, about 25 miles from downtown Cincinnati. It will be preceded by the Western & Southern Financial Group Women’s Open, July 15-23.

Matthew
07-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Good to hear, since I am going to Cincy. :)

Rhino
07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
I hope he plays Toronto, that looks like the only one of the above I'll be attending unless I go to the US Open.

AdCourt
07-06-2006, 01:44 AM
It's the end of a wonderful era ...

tarheels2323
07-06-2006, 10:21 AM
It's the end of a wonderful era ...

I agree, I'm not even old enough to remember his first big title at Wimbledon and I recognize that he's one of the greatest ambassadors and players the game has ever seen. I've never seen him play in person but I'll be at the Open this year going crazy for him.

alienhamster
07-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I might head to Cincy, too. But keep in mind that Agassi also usually pulls out of at least one tournament every summer. It will depend on how deep he goes in previous weeks.

mowcopian
07-06-2006, 11:37 AM
well, i hop he goes far and ends his career on a high.