PDA

View Full Version : Why do they put the families of the players together sitting in one box?

Golden Retriever
07-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Are they trying to manufacture a scene or something?

Marius_Hancu
07-05-2006, 10:47 AM
This certainly reduces hidden coaching. At least that.

Rabbit
07-05-2006, 12:02 PM
It's always been like that. Wimbledon has a player's box. They don't have as much room as other venues and they put them in the same place. I think it's kind of neat.

Captain America
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
I've always wondered this as well. Sometimes you can jsut feel the tension between the camps....

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 02:25 PM
i would think that they would want all of the family grouped together.

Dan007
07-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Only Wimbledon does this. I always thought it was easy to get into a fight between the two player's families, coaches, and friends. Get come ons back and forth, yelling.

Marat Safinator
07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
I think its a bit strange the two families sitting toghether. especially if they hate eachother.

jaykay
07-05-2006, 02:36 PM
I think its a bit strange the two families sitting toghether. especially if they hate eachother.

E.g. I don't comprehend how anybody can stand to be in the same box as the supposedly super-obnoxious Mr.Sharapov... (poor Mrs.Demienteva).

deluxe
07-05-2006, 02:47 PM
On the outside courts at wimbledon, there is no box for the players family/coach etc, but there are sections of chairs reserved for them. Someone mentioned coaching. I watched the first few games of Donald Young vs Robin Roshardt today, and someone who was obviously Roshardt's coach came and set next to me in the corner of the stands opposite the chair. He was constantly talking to his player in some language I didn't recognise. It might have just been encouragement, but I thought it was strange he wasn't in the assigned seats...

d_frank
07-05-2006, 05:43 PM
E.g. I don't comprehend how anybody can stand to be in the same box as the supposedly super-obnoxious Mr.Sharapov... (poor Mrs.Demienteva).
no kidding. When they were showing a replay of her reaction during / after a point, you could see him down in the corner, mouth blaring and body shaking.

arosen
07-05-2006, 06:09 PM
I betcha noone would want to sit next to Mr. Sharapov. That guy gets riled up like no other dad. Mr. Williams is a mean dude, but even he doesn't act out as much. Sharapov looks like he is about to jump on the court and start beating up on the opponent girl or linesmen. Total nut. He was blowing kisses after Maria won her last match, he is certifiably insane.

Alexandros
07-05-2006, 06:45 PM
I betcha noone would want to sit next to Mr. Sharapov. That guy gets riled up like no other dad. Mr. Williams is a mean dude, but even he doesn't act out as much. Sharapov looks like he is about to jump on the court and start beating up on the opponent girl or linesmen. Total nut. He was blowing kisses after Maria won her last match, he is certifiably insane.

Haha I saw that and I absolutely cracked up. He is such a character.