PDA

View Full Version : POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT - A Certain Greek-Cypriot tennis talent...

jaykay
07-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Well, its been couple of hours since the match is over. So I thought I'll post this here ---

I thought Baghdatis was brilliant in his annihilation of Hewitt today. He was serving well and his 2H BH is truly lethal. Yes, he dropped a set today when he had the match pretty much wrapped up in straight sets, ---clear case of nerves---, but I do think that Baghdatis is going to really make Nadal earn his keep (IF Nadal gets past Niemenen).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if Baghdatis brings his game, Nadal is going to lose.

Forehand: Baghdatis > Nadal
Backhand: Baghdatis > Nadal
Mobility: Nadal > Baghdatis
Serve: Baghdatis > Nadal
Match tactics: Baghdatis = Nadal
Mental Strength: Nadal > Baghdatis

Speculation: Baghdatis shall take it in 5 (of course, IF Nadal gets past the under-rated Niemenen).

Hv a nice day, all.

Cheers!

Simon Cowell
07-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Well, its been couple of hours since the match is over. So I thought I'll post this here ---

I thought Baghdatis was brilliant in his annihilation of Hewitt today. He was serving well and his 2H BH is truly lethal. Yes, he dropped a set today when he had the match pretty much wrapped up in straight sets, ---clear case of nerves---, but I do think that Baghdatis is going to really make Nadal earn his keep (IF Nadal gets past Niemenen).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if Baghdatis brings his game, Nadal is going to lose.

Speculation: Baghdatis shall take it in 5 (of course, IF Nadal gets past the under-rated Niemenen).

Hv a nice day, all.

Cheers!

Oh please
Nadal > Baghdatis in all categories

Nadal in straight sets.

TXKiteboarder
07-05-2006, 01:36 PM
his interview from monday after Murray win:

. You said you've been playing over and over in your mind the missed opportunities in the match on Melbourne. Are you playing in your mind a Sunday rematch against Federer?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: I'm not thinking about that really. I'm just thinking I have Hewitt in front of me, so I'm just thinking about Lleyton for now. If I go through Sunday, then we'll see. Federer, I think, has tough matches, and who knows what he will do or what I will do.

Q. How do you rate Lleyton Hewitt as an opponent?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Everybody, I rate them ten to ten. Everybody is a tough player. Everybody is playing good tennis. It's a matter of finding the solution to win.

Q. Even though the crowd was obviously for Andy Murray, did you enjoy the Centre Court?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Yeah, it was fun. First time on Centre Court at Wimbledon, I mean, it's always fun to have a first time and nice experience. So I'm pretty happy I won the match. That makes it even funner funnier.

Q. A lot of people in Australia who don't follow tennis that closely but got to know you in January have asked about what happened to that guy that made the final. How would you summarize the last four or five months?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: What happened to that guy? Nothing. He's the same guy. Nothing changed in me. I'm still the same guy. That's all.

Q. Results wise, how would you explain what you've done?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: It was not easy, you know. After Melbourne, I had a lot doubts in my head. Was I there because I deserved it or because it was just one time? A lot of things went through my mind. And like how I played Indian Wells, I played quarters, it was quite good. Then the doubt starts to come. Some injuries, some health problem. I got sick. So I started losing confidence. Since last week in Rosmalen, I played in s'Hertogenbosch, I played semis there, start to feel better on the court. Here I am today in quarters in Wimbledon. So I feel quite confident.

Q. Believing that you can do it again, that you have more finals in you?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Yeah, now I start to believe it more and more.

Q. Was it a much easier match today than you expected?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Not really. Okay, Andy didn't play good, but I had to play really good to win, I mean. I played a very, very good first set. Second set, I didn't start very well. Then I started playing good, then let him play. That was objective, not to let him play because he likes playing with the ball and moving you around. I didn't want to do that. I was playing really aggressive, and it paid off today.

Q. What do you think it is about the big tournaments and matches that seem to bring out the best tennis in you?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: I don't know. That's one of my maybe how you say? power or advantages. I just love playing in front of a big crowd, and I just relax more when there is so many people watching than when there are not.

Q. What does it mean to you to have your mother here?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: My mother, yeah, it means a lot. She didn't follow me since I was a kid, so it's fun for her to be here and see some matches and playing see me playing in front of a in Wimbledon in the Centre Court. I mean, it's great for her. She's proud of her son, and I feel proud of her also.

Q. She prayed a lot during your match.

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: She does (smiling). She does pray a lot.

Q. Before you talked about how you feel you enjoy the big stage, you enjoy lots of people watching. I don't think we've ever seen you get really upset or lose your cool on a tennis court. Does it happen?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Of course, it does. But, I mean, tennis match is nothing for me, there's so many things more important than a tennis match in life. So there is nothing to worry about. I mean, it's just a game. For me, it's just a game. I'm very happy to play this game because I love this game. And if I lose this game, it doesn't matter for me. There are things more important in life than this.

Q. You say there's more important things in life. What's one more important thing for you?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Health.

Q. How do you feel your game matches up with Hewitt? Do you feel you've got a game that could trouble him?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: I don't think a lot about my game. I just think to find the solution to win the match. That's all. So I think I'll go on the court and I'll start my game, just put the ball on the court and see how he plays and then find a solution.

Q. Do you study an opponent's game at all?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Not really.

Q. Have you seen any of his matches here?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Nope.

Q. So it's all about solving problems?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Yep, that's all about life. That's life's all about, no?

Q. You're a problem solver?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Exactly.

Q. You just do it in tennis?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: I do it in my life also (smiling).

Q. Did you solve the problem with the Army? Did that work itself out?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Yeah, I'll do the Army when I finish my career.

Q. You will do it?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Yeah.

ENJOY :)

sureshs
07-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Agree. Baggy will go out in straights. Nadal's ego will be even more raised while playing with a guy around the same age.

malakas
07-05-2006, 01:37 PM
What I am really worried about is:
Mental Strength: Nadal >> Baghdatis

:(

KBalla08
07-05-2006, 01:39 PM
nah nadal will lose, bags is playing great

MasterTS
07-05-2006, 01:39 PM
What I am really worried about is:
Mental Strength: Nadal >> Baghdatis

:(

Baggy is like 7-1 or 6-1 in 5 set matches. If that isn't mental strength I don't know what is.

malakas
07-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Baggy is like 7-1 or 6-1 in 5 set matches. If that isn't mental strength I don't know what is.

Yeah..he is great in 5 sets..but when he has the upper hand..he ALWAYS goes and almost blow it!!It was not just today!He has said it himself..he loses his concetration and starts..thinking about other things..:(

Lee
07-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Baghdatis is so clutch in big points. If Rafa is lucky enough to get through Jarrko, he'll still fall to Baghdatis in the semis.

Matthew
07-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Baghdatis is starting to remind me more and more of Agassi. He hits clean off both wings and can rip a winner off either side, he likes to move his opponents around and stay in the middle of the court, and has a good sense of when to pull the trigger and what shot to do at the right time.

DariusRaiden
07-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Nieminen is not going to be easy for Nadal. But be realistic, Baghdatis' game is suited to grass much more than Nadal's is, and the match Nadal played against Labadze showed that he is still vulnerable against big hitters on grass. It's gonna be all Baghdatis in London if they do meet.

jaykay
07-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Malakas - You must be in heaven: Bagi won, Bjorkman won and France is winning...!!!

What a day!

arnz
07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
I didnt realize these two have already played each other in March (Indian Wells). Nadal won in straights (2 out of 3)

malakas
07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Malakas - You must be in heaven: Bagi won, Bjorkman won and France is winning...!!!

What a day!

hehehe..yeah!!:D
AND tomorrow I leave for vacation!!:D
Though..now with Bags win..I just can't concetrate on the match..
Something strange must have happened!!Do I like tennis more than football???:shock:

Jon Hampton
07-05-2006, 01:59 PM

Haha...Baghdatis DOES NOT have a better forehand than Nadal. I'd set it up like this:

Forehand: Nadal
Backhand: Baghdatis
Mobility: Nadal
Serve: Nadal (LEFTY...HELLO?!?!)
Volley: Nadal
Match Tactics: Nadal (he constructs points much more efficiently IMO)
Mental: Nadal

jaykay
07-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Jon Hampton: You give the edge to Nadal for volley??? HELLO???

In D Zone
07-05-2006, 02:09 PM
RAFA vs MARCOS.
(if Rafa survives Jarkko) !

Ball is round .... at any give time it can go either way.

Questions is who wants it bad ?

In comparing the two - Marcos is still in his cinderalla run; he is still getting used to the spot light. Unlike RAFA who is battle tested. He's out to prove something to FED and the rest of the world.

NOW IS RAFA Time - VAMOS!!!!! Although I would like to see BAGGY to win

This should be a good one!!!

TXKiteboarder
07-05-2006, 02:10 PM
there were some aowsome dropshots by bag-boy, i hope he does more of that

jaykay
07-05-2006, 02:15 PM
there were some aowsome dropshots by bag-boy, i hope he does more of that

They were brilliant, weren't they? - I thoroughly enjoyed it. The disguise is impeccable and near-impossible to read. They however hv to be super-brilliant against speed_king Nadal, if he has to do more of that against him.

HollerOne5
07-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, but I watched the match they played in Indian Wells and Nadal really just destroyed Marcos. I think it was 7-5, 6-0, but after 5-5 in the first set, which was just kinda shakey from both players, you could tell Nadal was in another league than Marcos. It's true that grass might help Marcos, but Nadal is a big time match player as well, even bigger than Marcos. And whoever said Marcos had a better forehand than Nadal must be smoking crack.....

malakas
07-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Baghdatis: Break Point Conversions - 7 of 7 = 100 %
:shock:

In D Zone
07-05-2006, 02:26 PM
DROP shots - Baggy has the move.
Speedy Raffa - has the wheels to mow it down.

Question - is Baggy fit enough to plow over Rafa's droppies? This is why Rafa won the last match up.

fastdunn
07-05-2006, 02:27 PM
There's no question Baggy's A game can beat Nadal's on grass.
But Is Baggy mature enough to bring up his A game at clutch
situation ?

HollerOne5
07-05-2006, 02:34 PM
There's no question Baggy's A game can beat Nadal's on grass.
But Is Baggy mature enough to bring up his A game at clutch
situation ?

I agree, but I honestly think that is assuming that Nadal is just playing ok. If Nadal is raising his game to the top, and is mentally solid as a rock, I'm pretty sure Baghdatis might be able to take a set, and thats it.....

KBalla08
07-05-2006, 02:43 PM
gota factor in the rest that bags gets compared to nadal. nadals gota play tomorrow when bags can rest and prepare....

rounick
07-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Indian Wells is 2 out of 3.Wimby is best of 5.Baghdatis will have a very tough match even on grass.I don't think Jarko Pushi-nen will give Nadal any trouble.
I think it's gonna be a best of the year kinda match with great rallies and more than 3 sets.Baghdatis has a good chance,he's definitely on fire.

fastdunn
07-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I agree, but I honestly think that is assuming that Nadal is just playing ok. If Nadal is raising his game to the top, and is mentally solid as a rock, I'm pretty sure Baghdatis might be able to take a set, and thats it.....

Yea, Nadal has been impressive so far when it comes to
raising his game at later rounds of tournaments...

But Baggy is very dangerous opponent for Nadal to have
on grass.

Marat Safinator
07-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Oh please
Nadal > Baghdatis in all categories

Nadal in straight sets.

been reading your posts and seem to be in love with him, when are you getting married to the bull? :rolleyes:

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 03:06 PM
nadal is technically a much better player than bagdatis and his mental strength is also amazing.

jaykay
07-05-2006, 03:07 PM
been reading your posts and seem to be in love with him, when are you getting married to the bull? :rolleyes:

---chortle---

Marat Safinator
07-05-2006, 03:08 PM
RAFA vs MARCOS.
(if Rafa survives Jarkko) !

Ball is round .... at any give time it can go either way.

Questions is who wants it bad ?

In comparing the two - Marcos is still in his cinderalla run; he is still getting used to the spot light. Unlike RAFA who is battle tested. He's out to prove something to FED and the rest of the world.

NOW IS RAFA Time - VAMOS!!!!! Although I would like to see BAGGY to win

This should be a good one!!!

wy not rafael? why does everybody say rafa? it sounds horrible. rafael sounds much better.

jaykay
07-05-2006, 03:08 PM
nadal is technically a much better player than bagdatis and his mental strength is also amazing.

Mental strength: Nadal is indeed way better... by an order of magnitude.

Technique: Defly not.

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 03:09 PM
proberbly the next time that he see's him.

jaykay
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
wy not rafael? why does everybody say rafa? it sounds horrible. rafael sounds much better.

I think that's how Nadal likes to be called... I believe that's how everybody refers to him even in Mallorca... from a long time ago. 'Rafa' is here to stay.

D-man
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
last match baggy got a tasty bagel & looked like a deer caught in the head-lights in that 2nd set. i wouldn't discount that mental adv. for nadal

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 03:12 PM
rafael is how it should be said, its just what people have come to know him as.

= marios =
07-05-2006, 03:59 PM
I missed the match! Damn! I was set to watch it at a friend's house but he had to go somewhere and since i don't have the channel that shows Wimbledon here in Cyprus i missed it.

I caught most of it on the radio and that made me wanna watch it even more.

I hope i can see his semi against Nadal. Is that on Friday afternoon?

I think Baghdatis is good enough to beat anyone in the world except Federer and Nadal, but if he manages to take this into 5 sets he has a chance. As others have said, Bags is just taking it one day at a time and enjoys the ride. That attitude often helps win you matches, but on the other hand Nadal is out to prove himself to anyone watching, especially Federer.

It'll be a tough match and Marcos will need to be in top form.

malakas
07-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Well it's on Supersport.You are lucky.At least in Cyprus you have a chance to see it.:(
Here it's only mundial and only mundial!!!!:mad:

edberg505
07-05-2006, 04:05 PM

If I'm not mistaken, and correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure Marcos is undefeated in 5 set matches.

Simon Cowell
07-05-2006, 04:05 PM
You lot say this everytime, hype somebody up to beat Nadal and he destroys them, case in point: Agassi, Federer. They are no match for him. Baghdatis will be no different, he will be disposed of as well.

= marios =
07-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Well it's on Supersport.You are lucky.At least in Cyprus you have a chance to see it.:(
Here it's only mundial and only mundial!!!!:mad:

I don't understand. If you're in Greece how can you not get Supersport. The commentary is in Greek and i heard the guy on Sport FM about an hour ago saying how much he enjoyed watching Baghdatis play today, so what's the problem? Is your area not served or something?

malakas
07-05-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't understand. If you're in Greece how can you not get Supersport. The commentary is in Greek and i heard the guy on Sport FM about an hour ago saying how much he enjoyed watching Baghdatis play today, so what's the problem? Is your area not served or something?

Όχι..μιά χαρά έρχεται εδώ το Σουπερσπορτ!Το ΘΕΜΑ είναι ότι αν δεν έχεις εσύ στο σπίτι σου Σουπερσπορτ ΔΕΝ υπάρχει περίπτωση να το βρείς πουθενά αλλού!!!Όλοι βάζουν μουντιάλ και ΌΤΑΝ δεν έχει μουντιάλ...τις αποδόσεις του στοιχήματος!!!:mad:

= marios =
07-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Όχι..μιά χαρά έρχεται εδώ το Σουπερσπορτ!Το ΘΕΜΑ είναι ότι αν δεν έχεις εσύ στο σπίτι σου Σουπερσπορτ ΔΕΝ υπάρχει περίπτωση να το βρείς πουθενά αλλού!!!Όλοι βάζουν μουντιάλ και ΌΤΑΝ δεν έχει μουντιάλ...τις αποδόσεις του στοιχήματος!!!:mad:

Gotcha!

Πάρε μια πτήση και έλα την Παρασκευή να δούμε τον ημιτελικό σε καμιά καφετέρια στη Λευκωσία. ;)

malakas
07-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Ευχαριστώ για την πρόσκληση!:D
Φεύγω αύριο για άλλο νησί ..το νησί μου ελπίζωντας για το καλύτερο..αχ..
Μπορεί να πληρώσω κανέναν ..προποτζή..να με αφήσει να δω τον αγώνα!!!!:mrgreen:
Ενημέρωνε μας για το κλίμα στην Κύπρο,ε;Τους πανηγυρισμούς τα δημοσιεύματα!!!;)

= marios =
07-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Ευχαριστώ για την πρόσκληση!:D
Φεύγω αύριο για άλλο νησί ..το νησί μου ελπίζωντας για το καλύτερο..αχ..
Μπορεί να πληρώσω κανέναν ..προποτζή..να με αφήσει να δω τον αγώνα!!!!:mrgreen:
Ενημέρωνε μας για το κλίμα στην Κύπρο,ε;Τους πανηγυρισμούς τα δημοσιεύματα!!!;)

Στο Αυστραλιανό είχε πλάκα γιατί μας είχε εκπλήξει όλους και λόγω του ότι ολα τα παιγνίδια ήταν στο κρατικό κανάλι τον έβλεπαν οι πάντες. Τώρα που ειναι σε συνδρομητικό και εν καιρώ μουντιάλ δεν έχει πανηγύρια. Έπεσε και ένα ελικόπτερο της Εθνικής Φρουράς πάλι (τρίτο σε 4 χρόνια!) και επικρατεί κάπως κατάσταση πένθους εδώ.

Αλλά αν καταφέρει να πάει τελικό προβλέπω και πάλι κοσμοσυρροή στις κεντρικές πλατείες των πόλεων.

Baghdamania
07-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Πως θα σε ενημερωνουμε ρε μωρο? :)

malakas
07-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Στο Αυστραλιανό είχε πλάκα γιατί μας είχε εκπλήξει όλους και λόγω του ότι ολα τα παιγνίδια ήταν στο κρατικό κανάλι τον έβλεπαν οι πάντες. Τώρα που ειναι σε συνδρομητικό και εν καιρώ μουντιάλ δεν έχει πανηγύρια. Έπεσε και ένα ελικόπτερο της Εθνικής Φρουράς πάλι (τρίτο σε 4 χρόνια!) και επικρατεί κάπως κατάσταση πένθους εδώ.

Αλλά αν καταφέρει να πάει τελικό προβλέπω και πάλι κοσμοσυρροή στις κεντρικές πλατείες των πόλεων.

!!:shock:
Tι;;;;;;Ω..δεν είχα ιδέα..:(
Μα καλά τι σόι ενημέρωση κάνουν εδώ πέρα;;;:mad:

Ε..τουλάχιστον αν πάει στον τελικό να τον παρακολουθήσουν..Την χρειάζεται την υποστήριξη .Και αυτός ΚΑΙ το τέννις.Ελπίζω στην Κύπρο τουλάχιστον να παίζουν τώρα τουλάχιστον πιο πολλοί τέννις.Εδώ..καμία πρόοδος..........

malakas
07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Πως θα σε ενημερωνουμε ρε μωρο? :)

With posts and links!!!!!;)

:p

Baghdamania
07-05-2006, 04:51 PM
υποτιθεται δεν εχεις ιντερνετ εκει που θα εισαι :)

malakas
07-05-2006, 04:55 PM
xaxaxa...:mrgreen:
Mα..ποιός είπε οτι ΔΕΝ θα έχω;;;:mrgreen:`
Απλώς δεν θα κάνω τόσα πόστ.Γενικά θα είμαι στο ιντερνετ πολύ λίγη ώρα!;)
Ε..καλοκαίρι..διακοπές..στο ίντερνετ θα τις περάσουμε;;;;

Baghdamania
07-05-2006, 04:55 PM
α... λεω και εγω... :)

malakas
07-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Pfffttt!!!:p

jaykay
07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
What the HECK is happening here? I'm feeling kinda left out...:(

;) :p

malakas
07-05-2006, 04:59 PM
jaykay..sh!!I just convinced some Cypriots to post some exlusive photos of Camille Nevieve!Just don't let the word spread..;)

jaykay
07-05-2006, 05:02 PM
jaykay..sh!!I just convinced some Cypriots to post some exlusive photos of Camille Nevieve!Just don't let the word spread..;)

WOW! BRILLIANT!

Let's just keep this between us (and a few bazillion others).

{Man, am I gullible or what...?!?}

Baghdamania
07-05-2006, 05:02 PM
BTW

Where is Camille? I miss her so much :(

= marios =
07-05-2006, 05:03 PM
I've had a better offer for those photos from Hello! magazine. Sorry guys/gals.

malakas
07-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Hope faaar away from Marco!!:mad:
Better..in somebody else's arms!!!:mrgreen:

malakas
07-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I've had a better offer for those photos from Hello! magazine. Sorry guys/gals.

That's because Tatiana doesn't know who Baggy is!!:mrgreen:

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 05:10 PM
great some pics of camille, thats just what i wanted to find actually, well done.

= marios =
07-05-2006, 05:13 PM
That's because Tatiana doesn't know who Baggy is!!:mrgreen:

Tatiana and Lambiri, the pinnacle of Greek culture... :rolleyes:

I'm going straight to Themos with these pics!

malakas
07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I beg your pardon!!:eek:
How..dare you..??For your information..Christina..is one of the..best..no no..THE BEST..tele-product of this country!!!!:mad:
:mrgreen:
I know..it's sad........

ken1d
07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
i dont know whats gonna be the result between bag vs nadal but if bag do somehow mannage to get by nadal. he will lose to federer in stright may be bady in stright sets. Two reasons

1. mental part of the game still not to the level to beat federer. I think he got little lucky today. you can tell he was feeling it.
2. his diffensive part of the game is lacking too. he is a veryy good offencive player. on the run he can hit winner from almost any part of the court.

off topic

I think with offence you need great diffence to beat federer. Thats what nadal does soo well on the slower courts against fed. he defends... one... twoo.... then kicks fed on his nuts. And this is exactly why many big servers can't beat federer because they simpley don't have a great diffence." They can't defend " their game is built uppon their offencive game. ( i think that makes them one dimensional not because they can't serve and volly)

I think even somehow rodick did mannage to get a good serve and volly game going under his belt in the last times that he faced federer. He still wouldn't have won the matches. For the same reason "lack of ability to defend"

I believe there are only two dimension to tennis offence and diffence. marcos has the first one but I am not sure if he has enough of the second one to hurt federer or even to make a run for his money.