PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters shows sportsmanship

jukka1970
07-05-2006, 01:36 PM
I wish more players would be like this woman. While playing Na Li, Na Li had served at 0-40, the ball was in and the lines person called it out. Clijsters turned to the chair umpire and said it was in and to give Li the point.

I didn't actually think they could do this, mainly because then players would be calling shots. But it's nice to know that a player can say that it was in. More players should follow how this athlete is. her fellow countrywoman Henin-Hardenne could take some lessons from her in this department.

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 01:39 PM
i agree but the problem is not everyone is as sporting as clijsters and i dont think everyone ever will be. also she was 0-40 up, if it was 40-40 i think tht it would of been different.

KBalla08
07-05-2006, 01:41 PM
thats kinda like last year with roddick and verdasco(ithink) at the clay court tourney, dont remember which one. roddick had match point on verdascos serve, 0-40, he double faults, verdasco doesnt think its in he walks up to shake hands, andy tells the ump its on the line and gives him the point. but roddick lost the match after that lol

FuriousYellow
07-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Federer did the same thing in the FO final. He was up 0-40 and then lost that game and then went on to the lose the set and match.

Alexandros
07-05-2006, 03:21 PM
i agree but the problem is not everyone is as sporting as clijsters and i dont think everyone ever will be. also she was 0-40 up, if it was 40-40 i think tht it would of been different.

I really think she would have still given the point. Clijsters seems to be genuinely nice - even at the expense of her own success. I remember a few years back when she was still with Hewitt, she was asked whether she'd prefer to win Wimbledon herself or Hewitt and she actually said "Lleyton, because I know he really wants it".

TennisDog
07-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Do you think she would have given up match point? .........Ummmmmmm no Its easy to exhibit good sportsmanship when the cameras are rolling and it doesnt mean anything

shawn1122
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I really think she would have still given the point. Clijsters seems to be genuinely nice - even at the expense of her own success. I remember a few years back when she was still with Hewitt, she was asked whether she'd prefer to win Wimbledon herself or Hewitt and she actually said "Lleyton, because I know he really wants it".
Hewitt must be a pretty shallow man to dump her and go with an actress then.

vicnan
07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Would she have given it up if it was match point? It was not match point. So, we don't know. There is no reason to presume that Clijsters would have called it any differently.

TennisDog
07-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Would she have given it up if it was match point? It was not match point. So, we don't know. There is no reason to presume that Clijsters would have called it any differently.

So what you are saying is when you roll through a stop sign without getting caught you promptly turn yourself in at the nearest police station

psp2
07-05-2006, 08:04 PM
thats kinda like last year with roddick and verdasco(ithink) at the clay court tourney, dont remember which one. roddick had match point on verdascos serve, 0-40, he double faults, verdasco doesnt think its in he walks up to shake hands, andy tells the ump its on the line and gives him the point. but roddick lost the match after that lol

imo, roddick was way too cocky when he made that call. i think he was up 5-2 or something like that. he was probably thinking that he could either break to win the match or, at worst, serve out the match. as we all know, he'll go on to lose the match.

psp2
07-05-2006, 08:06 PM
I wish more players would be like this woman. While playing Na Li, Na Li had served at 0-40, the ball was in and the lines person called it out. Clijsters turned to the chair umpire and said it was in and to give Li the point.

I didn't actually think they could do this, mainly because then players would be calling shots. But it's nice to know that a player can say that it was in. More players should follow how this athlete is. her fellow countrywoman Henin-Hardenne could take some lessons from her in this department.

Fed has given opponents points on line calls in the past. i think i saw a Fed give a line call during a IWells match.

ATXtennisaddict
07-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Hewitt must be a pretty shallow man to dump her and go with an actress then.

Apparently she broke off the engagement with Hewitt. And Bec Cartwright is a pretty nice girl and Hewitt's a pretty cool guy imo.

Andy Zarzuela
07-05-2006, 09:14 PM

Please, if Justine took lesson from Kim, perhaps one of the most down-to-earth players on the tour, then she wouldn't have as many grandslams as she does. Two occasions come to mind. Playing Serena at the Roland Garros semifinals in 2003. You know, the whole hand incident. Perhaps the most memorable "Cheater" moments Justine had was when her and Kim were playing at the 2004 Aussie Open final. Kim was out playing her in the 2nd and 3rd sets. At a crucial point in the third, Kim hit a swinging volley that caught the back of the line. Justine held up her finger to influence the chair umpire. Hawk-Eye showed that the ball was in. That was a critical point for Kim. Justine definitely exemplifies the worst sportsmanship on the WTA, which is why her Grandslam titles are as Carillo would say, "tainted."

jukka1970
07-05-2006, 09:38 PM
I was refering to sportsmanship. I figured the title of the thread made that clear enough so I didn't put it in that sentence. But since you made the comment, I will clarify and say it's sportsmanship that I was talking about. I wasn't saying that Henin-Hardenne wasn't a good player and she has certainly beaten Kim in some of the really big matches. But she definitely needs work on her sportsmanship, and again I don't know why, but it really started after she got married. Don't know if that's what changed her, but that was the timing.

Please, if Justine took lesson from Kim, perhaps one of the most down-to-earth players on the tour, then she wouldn't have as many grandslams as she does. Two occasions come to mind. Playing Serena at the Roland Garros semifinals in 2003. You know, the whole hand incident. Perhaps the most memorable "Cheater" moments Justine had was when her and Kim were playing at the 2004 Aussie Open final. Kim was out playing her in the 2nd and 3rd sets. At a crucial point in the third, Kim hit a swinging volley that caught the back of the line. Justine held up her finger to influence the chair umpire. Hawk-Eye showed that the ball was in. That was a critical point for Kim. Justine definitely exemplifies the worst sportsmanship on the WTA, which is why her Grandslam titles are as Carillo would say, "tainted."

hondas2k
07-05-2006, 09:41 PM
:D

jukka1970
07-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Do you think she would have given up match point? .........Ummmmmmm no Its easy to exhibit good sportsmanship when the cameras are rolling and it doesnt mean anything

OK but that's taking the most extreme case, and honestly I would say no to answer your question for that extreme case, but I don't think anyone would do it on match point including Edberg who won the sportsmanship 5 years in a row and it's now named after him. Would she have done it on a set point. I think she would have, but who knows. And to give an analogy there are people who try and live their life by not being a liar, but everyone has lied at some point in their life, call it a white lie, whatever. So the extreme view your taking is the same as the white lie, as no one is perfect. And lets face it, these athletes are living off what they make, so if that match point changes their check from 50,000 to 250,000 um yeah I can see why they wouldn't.

Anyways the point of the post, is that there are people who live by sportsmanship and people who ignore it completely. And I was just giving credit to an athlete that I think has shown sportsmanship. To me it's a big deal, to others it may not be.