PDA

View Full Version : Fed: "Beat that Czech b-a-s-t-a-r-d"

UHS
07-05-2006, 02:03 PM
After Björkman's win over Stepanek, he (Jonas) was interviewed by Swedish newspaper Expressen:

" - There were a lot of high-fives in the locker room after the victory, 'cause Stepanek is not particularly popular with the players. Before the match, Federer told me, in perfect Swedish, "now, beat that Czech b-a-s-t-a-r-d", afterwards he (Fed) approached me to congratulate me. "

Wonder what Martina will say...

jaykay
07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
WTF? You've GOT to be kidding...

malakas
07-05-2006, 02:06 PM
:shock:
Please PROVIDE a link.Even in a Swedish site.

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 02:07 PM
thats surely not true, please supply a link or some evidence.

UHS
07-05-2006, 02:08 PM
http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=627087

rhubarb
07-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah, so he did! http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=627087

Roger did admit to Sue Barker yesterday in a BBC interview that he spoke some Swedish, (no doubt learned from Peter Lundgren) but not enough to conduct an interview in.

peter
07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
:shock:
Please PROVIDE a link.Even in a Swedish site.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=627087

Det blev många high-five i omklädningsrummet efter segern för Stepanek är inte särskilt populär bland spelarna. Federer sa innan matchen, på perfekt svenska, "slå den där tjeck-jäveln nu", sedan kom han fram och grattade mig.

However, one probably should take this with a bit of salt... This newspaper has gone downhill the last decade or so and sometimes is a bit "too" creative.

Also, even if he *did* say those words - in Swedish we often say similar things without it having any deeper meaning, it's more a way of amplifying things while at the same time joking around a bit.

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 02:14 PM
so he did,well i am amazed that he did never the less.

malakas
07-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanx for the link.
As Peter said..we should take it with a bit of salt..I can't believe that Fed would say actually..b-a-s-t-a-r-d!
But who knows..If it is..normal to say it in Swedish to pump somebody up..

peter
07-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanx for the link.
As Peter said..we should take it with a bit of salt..I can't believe that Fed would say actually..b-a-s-t-a-r-d!
But who knows..If it is..normal to say it in Swedish to pump somebody up..

Actually "jävul" doesn't exactly translate to "b-a-s-t-a-r-d", but rather "devil" - however that doesn't quite translate the same connotations.. *I* personally would probably rather have translated that ("tjeck-jäveln") to "bloody czech", like in "now beat that bloody czech".

mowcopian
07-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Actually "jävul" doesn't exactly translate to "b-a-s-t-a-r-d", but rather "devil" - however that doesn't quite translate the same connotations.. *I* personally would probably rather have translated that ("tjeck-jäveln") to "bloody czech".

lol, good reply.

malakas
07-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Actually "jävul" doesn't exactly translate to "b-a-s-t-a-r-d", but rather "devil" - however that doesn't quite translate the same connotations.. *I* personally would probably rather have translated that ("tjeck-jäveln") to "bloody czech", like in "now beat that bloody czech".

Bloody czech or even devil sounds much more ..believable!
Though..Stepanek really must be not very popular in the locker rooms...

VolklVenom
07-05-2006, 02:27 PM
i'm just impressed Fed can speak Swedish.

jaykay
07-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Bloody czech or even devil sounds much more ..believable!
Though..Stepanek really must be not very popular in the locker rooms...

While 'Bloody Czech' sounds less ugly as compared to 'B-a-s-t-a-r-d Czech', I still find it difficult to believe that Federer would utter such an inflammatory comment (wasn't Federer the recipient of the Stefan Edberg sportsmanship award?). I'm not saying that Federer is God or anything, but he does carefully maintain an external image for all; I find it difficult to believe that he would drop his guard and utter something that sounds very un-Federer-like. This whole episode smells like 'tabloid' creativity to me.

UHS
07-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Well, I just thought it was a funny quote and you shouldn't read too much into it. The words sound a lot harsher than what is probably actually meant. Fed's command of the Swedish language is probably not that great, and he has picked up a few ugly phrases along the way. To me, "jäkla tjeck" would translate into "bloody/damn Czech" while "tjeck-jävel" has a worse connotation.

I'm pretty sure Stefan Edberg et al said not very nice things about Lendl in private to fellow players. IMO, Jonas should not have mentioned anything to the newspaper.

This reminds me a little bit of the press conference after the USO match between Roddick-Ljubicic a couple of years ago when Ljubicic said something like "everyone in the locker room told me to kick his butt, no one likes him".

ken1d
07-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I was at a hardtrue challanger at queens new york. where i met this guy name Dr lue. Well, I think he is the most hardcore crazy tennis fan you'll probably ever meet. In his life he went to many tennis tournaments. I think tennis magazine had some kinda artical about him some years ago. so any way, we were walking from court to court watching different matches and enjoying good conversation. We see ivo huberg from switzerland standing and watching his double partner's match. I said hello and congratulated him for his earlier victory against the number one seeed of the tournament. after hubarger left, dr lue said "did you know in the year of 1998 i was at the aussie open. As i was getting some food from a foodstand i see roger federer and ivo hubrger was sitting next to eachother. ( they were double's partners back then) So i go up to huberger and greet him and asked him who is this guy? (pointing towards federer) Is he a player? federer laughs and says in clear english you know ivo still a virgin lol." lue said he was very shocked because he never heard anything like that from any atp tour player before.

That was federer when he was 18 i believe. I think that was also his first year on the atp tour.

at first i didnt believe lue's story because lue is kind of nutcase. people who met him or seen him would know this. also, we are talking about federer comonnn guys! future GOAT and the nicest guy ...

I guess you can say: well man aren't you little over reacting? I mean calling someone virgin how bad is that? well its not that bad but it just supports the possibility that federer can call some one "Czech b-a-s-t-a-r-d" . Thats all im saying....

galain
07-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Strange - i always had the impression that Stepanek was quite a popular and well liked guy on the tour....

superman1
07-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Obviously he was just joking around. I often call my friends much worse words, but it's not to be taken seriously.

malakas
07-05-2006, 04:51 PM
On the other hand..Bush and Cheney..though politicians..don't have the diplomatism of Fed!!;)

Hartzy
07-05-2006, 04:55 PM
i'm just impressed Fed can speak Swedish.

Federer's first language is German and he speaks close to perfect English. For some reason, which I have a hard time explaining, when you speak German and English, you can understand a lot of Danish/Norwegian/Swedish if it's written and you can also learn it quickly.

Viper
07-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Although it is un-Federer like, and such, at least we get to see that Federer is a regular person, and all regular people have likes and dislikes and will use bad language from time to time.

RealityPolice
07-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Maybe Fed's just jealous that Stepanek cut in front of him in the "Date Hingis" line.

BeautyVenus
07-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Roger Federer is human, don't we all talk about each other? Why would Roger be any different?

siber222000
07-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Roger Federer is human, don't we all talk about each other? Why would Roger be any different?
yep yep yep

arnz
07-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Maybe Fed's just jealous that Stepanek cut in front of him in the "Date Hingis" line.

Really? Why? I don't think it would be an improvement at all to his current girlfriend.

arnz
07-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Federer's first language is German and he speaks close to perfect English. For some reason, which I have a hard time explaining, when you speak German and English, you can understand a lot of Danish/Norwegian/Swedish if it's written and you can also learn it quickly.

They are all part of the "Germanic languages." Kinda like if you know Italian you can learn Spanish or Portuguese pretty easily because they all derive from Latin.

knasty131
07-05-2006, 07:51 PM
haha, well i have told friends to beat people in a much less kind way...he is human after all i guess

Egalite
07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
The prefunctory handshake after a 4 hour marathon spoke louder than any words about what Bjorkman thinks of Stepanek.

jaykay
07-05-2006, 08:44 PM
The prefunctory handshake after a 4 hour marathon spoke louder than any words about what Bjorkman thinks of Stepanek.

Come to think of it, it was indeed rather curt.

RealityPolice
07-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Really? Why? I don't think it would be an improvement at all to his current girlfriend.

It was more a comment about Hingis and her penchant for "working her way through the draw" (so to speak) than about Federer.

hoosierbr
07-05-2006, 09:05 PM
In his blog from Rome Thomas Johansson mentioned that Federer spoke Swedish pretty well.

Stepanek is not liked by many, this is true, whereas Bjorkman is probably one of the most popular guys in the locker room. Wouldn't surprise me if Federer did say that or something close to it.

RadekStepanekTheKing
07-06-2006, 02:10 AM
poor Radek!! I thought Roger was always friendly and nice but.. not anymore.

pound cat
07-06-2006, 03:48 AM
Federer has just gone up a notch in my view. Good one Roger, good one. ROTFL

Bamse Bula
07-06-2006, 04:00 AM

Hartzy, I must say you are wrong here. You can probably recognize a few words. But you can NOT understand a lot. And you can NOT learn it quickly.
Jag vet, eftersom jag är svensk.

rhubarb
07-06-2006, 04:40 AM
But don't forget he spent several years with Peter Lundgren. *That's* where he gets his Swedish from.

Shabazza
07-06-2006, 05:37 AM
Hartzy, I must say you are wrong here. You can probably recognize a few words. But you can NOT understand a lot. And you can NOT learn it quickly.
True!

35ft6
07-06-2006, 05:48 AM
Stepanek is not liked by many, this is true, whereas Bjorkman is probably one of the most popular guys in the locker room. Wouldn't surprise me if Federer did say that or something close to it. I've heard this so often. Why exactly is Stepanek so disliked?

Manda_D
07-06-2006, 06:02 AM
the moment has probably passed now.. but the website that i use to translate all my sites for me came up with this for that sentence...

- it became many high-five in omklädningsrummet after the victory for Stepanek is not particularly popular among the players. Federer said before the game, on perfect Swede, “hit that the Czech son of a ***** now”, since come he forward and grattade me.

the translated version i was looking at.. (http://www.worldlingo.com/SH0gfCf2o9dM3Bhi6VIVruDHcHQxGxnFd/translate)

verry funny i say. good work feds! lol

Hartzy
07-06-2006, 10:40 AM

I would have to disagree with you. Funny thing is, I read exactly what you wrote. Maybe it's easy for me because I learned about the Germanic sound shift which split proto germanic. For example, Vet=weiss. I know this because the T sound turned into the double S and this rule stays true for almost every lower germanic to High German cognate. Secondly, if you know anything about Swedish conjugation, it's that it's pretty simple as opposed to German in that there is only one standard ending.

So, I would have to disagree with YOU. You just need to realize the factors that go into the modern words and you can see that both languages have a lot in common. Now when it comes to grammar, it's a whole other story.

tennis_eel
07-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Hehe, Lleytons pretty shocking, I'v heard him drop a variety of bad words on the court.

helloworld
07-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Yep, that's the real Fed... sad but true...

austro
07-16-2006, 11:59 PM
My 'native' language is German and I don't understand a word of Swedish... Now, dutch is a different thing - there are obvious similarities.

Stepanek's lack of popularity is surpassed only by Coria's I believe. I cannot stand either too.