PDA

View Full Version : Strings became brittle

BadTemper
07-05-2006, 09:12 PM
After using the strings for about 5 matches over the span of 2.5 months, these strings became extremely brittle and felt like the strings were splintering. I couldnt control the ball what-so-ever and it was a very inconsistent hit. I do use a lot of topsin with my shots. I have a Babolat pure drive plus racquet (100 sq in). Is this normal for these strings? I had the tension set at 60. Here is the link to the strings I was using. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-PT17.html

There was a guy giving tennis lessons when I was playing about a week ago, he said he has been coaching for 15 years, and I asked him how often I should change my strings, and he said once a year because I am a recreational player and I dont play too often. Sound right?
Thanks for any feedback.

snoflewis
07-05-2006, 10:55 PM
well...first of all, why do you even have your racket strung w/ polyester? do you like the control, feel, or spin? polyester strings tend to go dead faster than other strings except kevlar, so it would be good to change them more often. if i were you, i'd probably string it w/ a synthetic gut so that it doesnt lose tension as much and it will play much better.

datsveryinterestin
07-05-2006, 11:24 PM
I used eiter Luxilon Original or Lux BB ALU in full or hybrid string jobs... and they play AMAZING... for a while.

Then they lose some pounds of tension and become too powerful and the WOOFER grommets of the PD kick in and you really have no control over your shots.

So, I would use a "high quality" poly like LUXILON or SIGNUM and hybrid it with another multi or synthetic gut that doesn't lose tension.
I suggest Gosen JC Micro 16g.

But, you I would have to string 3-4 times a year with this kind of string for "maximum playability" even with multiple backup racquets.
Maybe you could string 1-2 times a year if you are not as tension sensitive but the feeling of "fresh" strings is pretty addictive.

BadTemper
07-06-2006, 07:08 AM
I dont know every aspect of strings. I mainly pick strings on the playability factors on the back of the package. I honestly dont know what strings to purchase. My babolat is in the trash because the frame cracked, so I just bought a wilson H Rival MP. I guess I will have to reasearch like crazy today before my racquet comes in the mail.
Thank you for the advice.

PBODY99
07-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the wonderous world of strings. Polys will not play the same over that long of a time span. Players use polys today since the topspin game of today is very hard on strings. Try a simple 15L snygut as it will last for a while then have the decency to break when it gets too old.:cool: