PDA

View Full Version : How's this for a prediction: Bjorkman will beat Federer

BreakPoint
07-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Have I got your attention now? ;) You know how Brad Gilbert loves to make bold predictions? Well, this is mine for this year: I think Bjorkman has a very good chance of beating Federer in the semis. :eek:

Federer has not yet faced a true serve and volleyer that actually serves and volleys. Henman didn't really do it, and neither did Ancic do much of it today. Bjorkman will pressure Federer constantly to have to hit passing shot after passing shot. Bjorkman also has tons of experience and is great at the net. He has absolutely nothing to lose, as he never expected to get this far, and this may be the last chance in his career to get into a Grand Slam final, so I fully expect him to throw, in the words of Andy Roddick, the kitchen sink at Federer.

OK, now let me find my flak jacket and let the flaming begin! :cool:

lacoster
07-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Ancic tried to come in every chance he got, but the quality of Federer's returns and depth in rallies was just insane.
________
Suzuki dr800s (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_DR800S)

textbook strokes
07-05-2006, 08:35 PM
If this really happens, I'd like DVD of tthat macht :o .
Seriously, Roger is passing so great that Bjorkman needs serve, volleys and returns being like....10 years younger.

migjam
07-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Have I got your attention now? You know how Brad Gilbert loves to make bold predictions? Well, this is mine for this year: I think Bjorkman has a very good chance of beating Federer in the semis.

I'm jumping on the band wagon with you.

Breaker
07-05-2006, 08:38 PM
ALL ABOARD THE BJORKMAN BANDWAGON!..catchy.

quest01
07-05-2006, 08:39 PM
I think its possible Bjorkman can take a set from Federer but winning is another story. It would be impossible for Bjorkman to beat Federer. The only way Federer will lose against Bjorkman is if he gets injured. Federer is the SECOND best grass court player in the world and i think it would be a tough task for Bjorkman to win.

BreakPoint
07-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Federer is the SECOND best grass court player in the world and i think it would be a tough task for Bjorkman to win.

SECOND? Who's the first? :confused:

quest01
07-05-2006, 08:45 PM
SECOND? Who's the first? :confused:

Pete Sampras is the best grass court player ever. If Federer can surpass 7 Wimbledon titles, then he would be the best on grass, but for right now, Sampras is the KING on grass.

jaykay
07-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Wow! This thread did indeed catch my attention...

Bjorkman did play some really nice tennis today but IMO, he'll hv to play exceptionally well to make a match of it against Federer.

dh003i
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Ok, well, when you say "best grasscourt player in the world", it's implicit that you're talking about today.

If you want to talk about history, and you want to say "greatest", then yea, there's no argument that you have to give that to Sampras, who had 7 GS at the Wimbledon -- unbelievable.

drake
07-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Breakpoint
Your advise is generally solid but this prediction is not even close. Federer will win in straights. I really like Bjorkman as a doubles player. But for singles, he's too slow for Feds pace. It was a great run though.
Right now, the only opponent that has any chance of beating Fed on any surface, is someone who gets every ball back and is mentally tough.

D-man
07-05-2006, 09:02 PM
i'd like to see it happen, but bjorker's got just the game federer would feast on..

dh003i
07-05-2006, 09:18 PM
drake,

Hahhahah, that's funny. Nadal couldn't win a set, not even a service game, off of Federer. His best game on grass this year couldn't beat Federer's worst game on grass this year.

siber222000
07-05-2006, 09:21 PM
ancic has a pretty good serve, if federer can return them solid, federer probably can return bjorkman serve very solid too.

LN_Dad
07-05-2006, 09:21 PM
I like Bjorkman but he doesn't have a chance against Fed's quickness and extremely accurate passing shots.

hoosierbr
07-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Difficult, unlikely. Not impossible. Federer has yet to have his "off" day this tournament and it could be Friday. If it is and Bjorkman plays the match of his life he could beat him. But, more likely, if he plays a great match there might be a couple of tiebreaks or maybe he takes a set.

Wouldn't it be something if he did win though? He could become Peter Colt from the movie "Wimbledon" except he's Swedish.

Viper
07-05-2006, 09:27 PM
I think Bjorkman will pull a huge upset. Mainly because he has NOTHING to lose. Look at Federer. He's gonna be playing a bit safer game, not going all out because he's gonna wait until the final. Bjorkman will use every trick in the book because he knows that his chance of winning is so small it'd be stupid to play a cauitious game. I think the tides and moon are in Bjorkmans favor, and this fairytale run of his will be great...

ALL ABOARD!!!

BreakPoint
07-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Breakpoint
Your advise is generally solid but this prediction is not even close. Federer will win in straights. I really like Bjorkman as a doubles player. But for singles, he's too slow for Feds pace. It was a great run though.
Right now, the only opponent that has any chance of beating Fed on any surface, is someone who gets every ball back and is mentally tough.

Well, I did say it was a BOLD prediction. :D LOL

Would I put money on it? No way in heck!! I'm not stupid and I wasn't born yesterday. I'm an investor not a day-trader nor gambler. ;) LOL.

But it would be great if it happened, wouldn't it? It would definitely give a boost to us "older" guys. :p It would be even more amazing than Agassi's run at the US Open last year.

(BTW, I'm a big Federer fan, but I still call 'em as I see 'em.)

alienhamster
07-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Ancic tried to come in every chance he got, but the quality of Federer's returns and depth in rallies was just insane. OH NO HE DIDN'T! (To be read in the older, non-sassy way.)

I don't know what match you were watching, but Ancic was staying back on way too many points today. He did try at times, but there were times when Fed was just chipping returns or was pushed very far back on the defensive and Ancic made no effort to come in.

I doubt Bjorkman will beat Fed, but I think that this match will give him the most trouble so far. As will the final.

BreakPoint
07-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Pete Sampras is the best grass court player ever. If Federer can surpass 7 Wimbledon titles, then he would be the best on grass, but for right now, Sampras is the KING on grass.

But Pete's retired. So you would agree that Federer is CURRENTLY the best on grass, right?

FiveO
07-05-2006, 09:35 PM
How's this for a prediction?

A wise man once said:

"The difference between bravery and stupidity is in the outcome."

I'm fairly sure which one it is but we'll all know in a couple of days.

Tennis_Goodness
07-05-2006, 09:36 PM
This prediction is based soley off of what you hope will happend.

Predictions have to based on facts!

BreakPoint
07-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Predictions have to based on facts!

How can there be facts when it hasn't happened yet? :confused:

If someone predicts that the Dow Jones will hit 12,000 next week, is that based on "facts"? But it's still considered a "prediction", isnt it?

Anyway, I did state my rationale in the original post. :D

Tennis_Goodness
07-05-2006, 09:45 PM
You have no information or proof to even suggest what your talking about, your prediction is ridiculous and is based on nothing.

BreakPoint
07-05-2006, 09:51 PM
You have no information or proof to even suggest what your talking about, your prediction is ridiculous and is based on nothing.

So was it also ridiculous for everyone to predict that Federer would have trouble against Gasquet and Henman in the first two rounds? :rolleyes:

They had lots of "proof" and their predictions were based upon "lots of things", but they still turned out to be completely wrong, weren't they? So what good is "proof"? :confused:

artworks
07-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Hmmm... I like the idea of Bjorkman beating Federer in 5 gruelling sets! Anything less than 5 sets means Federer advancing in the Finals.

Of course, anything is possible under the sun. Federer still needs to show up and dispatch the surprise package player (singles, doubles, mix doubles) of the the tournament in 3 sets and vice versa.

Phil
07-05-2006, 11:11 PM
OH NO HE DIDN'T! (To be read in the older, non-sassy way.)

I don't know what match you were watching, but Ancic was staying back on way too many points today. He did try at times, but there were times when Fed was just chipping returns or was pushed very far back on the defensive and Ancic made no effort to come in.

I doubt Bjorkman will beat Fed, but I think that this match will give him the most trouble so far. As will the final.

Ancic tried to come in and was passed or had to handle balls hit at his feet-not easy for a guy who's 6'6", then he stayed back, and couldn't hang with Federer's changes in pace and direction and angles. Then he tried to come in again...same thing other than the weakest floater returns, then he stayed back, and got spanked. The poor kid looked like he was going to cry, and this is one of the best grass court players in the world...made to look like an amatuer.

Bjorkman MAY, and a big emphasis on MAY, take a set from Federer. But he hasn't faced, in singles, such an attack as varied as Federer's. I don't think a washed-up singles player is going to beat the World #1. I hope Breakpoint didn't put money on this happening, for his sake.

superman1
07-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I won't happen. Impossible. At the very most, Bjorkman's serve and volley style will bother Federer for a few games, then he will adapt and it will be a steam roll. I cannot imagine Federer losing his serve in this match.

BTW, I believe Nicolas Mahut played mostly serve and volley against Fed, and that was over in straight sets.

BreakPoint
07-05-2006, 11:37 PM
I hope Breakpoint didn't put money on this happening, for his sake.

Don't worry, Phil. I may be a little nuts sometimes, but I ain't dumb. ;)

See my post #18 above or here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=992684&postcount=18

newnuse
07-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Wishful thinking by Breakpoint.

I would love to see a S&V player win Wimbledon this year. It might encourage others to S&V on grass. I think the only way a player stands a chance against Federer is to S&V.

Unfortunately, a S&V on his last leg is not gonna take a set off Federer.

BreakPoint
07-05-2006, 11:45 PM
BTW, I believe Nicolas Mahut played mostly serve and volley against Fed, and that was over in straight sets.

Yes, but Mahut has never won a singles title and Bjorkman has won 6, including 2 on grass. He also got to the finals of Nottingham on grass, right before Wimbledon. Bjorkman also has a lot more experience than Mahut does. BTW, Mahut was the only one to almost take a set off of Federer so far at Wimbledon this year.

The Pusher Terminator
07-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Have I got your attention now? ;) You know how Brad Gilbert loves to make bold predictions? Well, this is mine for this year: I think Bjorkman has a very good chance of beating Federer in the semis. :eek:

Federer has not yet faced a true serve and volleyer that actually serves and volleys. Henman didn't really do it, and neither did Ancic do much of it today. Bjorkman will pressure Federer constantly to have to hit passing shot after passing shot. Bjorkman also has tons of experience and is great at the net. He has absolutely nothing to lose, as he never expected to get this far, and this may be the last chance in his career to get into a Grand Slam final, so I fully expect him to throw, in the words of Andy Roddick, the kitchen sink at Federer.

Damn you are brave! Saying anything against the holy one is a death sentence. In any event I commend your valor!!!

vive le beau jeu !
07-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Federer has not yet faced a true serve and volleyer that actually serves and volleys. Henman didn't really do it, and neither did Ancic do much of it today.
but i read that mahut constantly did it ! ;)

EDIT: sorry, didn't see it had already been written... :rolleyes:

The Pusher Terminator
07-06-2006, 12:17 AM
drake,

Hahhahah, that's funny. Nadal couldn't win a set, not even a service game, off of Federer. His best game on grass this year couldn't beat Federer's worst game on grass this year.

You are such a complete idiot. This is about BJORKMAN VS FEDERER. You are so used to defending the "Holy One" against Nadal that you forgot to look at the subject of this post. Moron.

brucie
07-06-2006, 01:42 AM
I doubt it sure Bjorkman will give fed a match and lose 4-6 2-6 3-6
or something in the region of this his serve will tee up roger too regularly and fed who can pass anyone, ( Pause: just think how many times youve seen him hit beautiul passes off bothe bh and fh which seemed impossible) will pass Bjorkman regularly.

Bjorkman will also i guess sweat a great deal more than fed.Hes 34 and fed doestnt ever tire anyway.

However I like your style Breakpoint its good to see someone considering the other possibilties fed will lose one day at wimby but not yet!

i suppose this already you just fancied a change of topic right?

fastdunn
07-06-2006, 03:28 PM

I think Bjorkman can take a set off Federer if he plays really aggressive
attacking tennis, 90's style.

Also Note that Bjorkman used to be the best returner in the game.
I want to see him attacking Federer's 2nd serves!

Moose Malloy
07-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Federer has not yet faced a true serve and volleyer that actually serves and volleys. Henman didn't really do it, and neither did Ancic do much of it today. Bjorkman will pressure Federer constantly to have to hit passing shot after passing shot.

Dude, Bjorkman doesn't S&V. look at the stats:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/bios/cmatch/ms/atpb446.html

Stepanek or Mirnyi would have pressured Federer a lot more. Bjorkman plays a lot like Henman now, from the baseline with an occasional venture to net.

arnz
07-06-2006, 03:42 PM
I like Bjorkman, I hope he plays well tomorrow. He is the Cinderella story, but midnight has struck :( and its all going to turn back to pumpkin

fastdunn
07-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Bjorkman seems to appraoch net slightly more than Nadal and
Federer and about half of Kendrick did in a 5 set match.

Bjorkman should play like Kendrick, IMHO.

Bjorkman's career is interesting. He started out as pure S&Ver.
Then he completely switched to baseliner with great return game
and reached #4 in the world. Now he plays doubles and add some
of net game back. What a versatile guy...

unjugon
07-06-2006, 03:53 PM
The biggest problem for Bjorkman is that his serve isnīt big enough to give Fed trouble for 3+ sets. Actually I predict Bjorkman will break Fedīs serve a couple times, but his own serve will get broken like 5-6 times. :(

Moose Malloy
07-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Bjorkman should play like Kendrick, IMHO.

He can't play like Kendrick because he doesn't have a big serve. You need a big serve to S&V today.

unjugon
07-06-2006, 03:55 PM
He can't play like Kendrick because he doesn't have a big serve. You need a big serve to S&V today.
Same comment and same timing! Friends?

fastdunn
07-06-2006, 04:02 PM

Right. I meant as agressive as Kendrick did. if he can't serve and volley,
just try to get in every oppotunity, and attack his 2nd serves and so on.
It's clear as fire that he can't beat Federer from baseline anyway...

BreakPoint
07-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Agreed, that Bjorkman's only chance is to come into the net as much as possible. Serve and volley, chip and charge, moonball and charge, follow every 2nd serve of Federer's into the net, whatever it takes. If he stays at the baseline, he'll be toast.

BTW, if you look at his match stats against Mirnyi, he almost came to the net as much as Mirnyi did, and we all know that "The Beast" comes in on everything. :D

dh003i
07-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Pusher Terminator,

I was responding to drake's comment, which was an un-named reference to Nadal.

FEDEXP
07-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Kind of silly; when predictions are made they are based on data. Not going to happen......

framebreaker
07-06-2006, 07:53 PM
bjorkman will beat federer because he has as much experience as agassi but has no physical issues. 4 or 5 setter

BreakPoint
07-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Kind of silly; when predictions are made they are based on data. Not going to happen......

OK, but where's the "data" that says Federer will definitely beat Bjorkman in the semifinals of the 2006 Wimbledon Championships? :confused:

BreakPoint
07-06-2006, 08:00 PM
OK, according to their head-to-head, Federer is 3-0 against Bjorkman, and Bjorkman has never taken a set off of Federer. However, out of the 7 sets they've played against each other, 4 went to a tiebreak. Now if tomorrow a couple of those tiebreaks swing Bjorkman's way........you never know. :D

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=Federer&player2=Bjorkman

yoga
07-06-2006, 08:22 PM
highly doubt it. same as Agassi, the age factor. not to exclude the very fact that Bjorkman even played doubles earlier. if he is gonna win, he better beat Federer in straight set..

D-man
07-08-2006, 12:32 AM
nice call there

BreakPoint
07-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Well, what can I say? The old veteran gave it all he had left after playing so much tennis in singles, doubles, and mixed. He clearly had nothing left in the tank.

He also didn't get to the net as much as he needed to. As I said earlier, if he doesn't charge the net at every opportunity and stays at the baseline, he's toast. And that's exactly what happened. Even so, Bjorkman was actually competitive in many of his own service games, but Roger won all the crucial points.

Oh well, at least I wasn't dumb enough to put money on it. :mrgreen:

a guy
07-08-2006, 02:13 AM
I think you should lay off the predictions lol