PDA

View Full Version : Federer's arrogance once again

HollerOne5
07-05-2006, 10:07 PM
I think this quote speaks for itself, Federer talking about the possibility of playing Nadal in the Wimbledon finals.

"I would love to play him," he said. "I've lost so many times against him on his favorite surface; I've gotten so, so close. Obviously I'd like to play him here four or five times, but grass is such a short season. I'm lucky enough my strength is also on clay, on hardcourt, indoor: That's what he's still working on. That's also why I'm by far the No. 1 player in the world."

It doesn't matter if its true, its unnecessary to state, to remind people that you are number one just because you can't beat the number 2 every time you play.

jukka1970
07-05-2006, 10:10 PM
I think this quote speaks for itself, Federer talking about the possibility of playing Nadal in the Wimbledon finals.

"I would love to play him," he said. "I've lost so many times against him on his favorite surface; I've gotten so, so close. Obviously I'd like to play him here four or five times, but grass is such a short season. I'm lucky enough my strength is also on clay, on hardcourt, indoor: That's what he's still working on. That's also why I'm by far the No. 1 player in the world."

It doesn't matter if its true, its unnecessary to state, to remind people that you are number one just because you can't beat the number 2 every time you play.

Can you please put down the site you got this from, so I can read the question he was asked to which he gave that response?

artworks
07-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Obiviously, Nadal got into his nerves. It's more on insecurity than arrogance in my opinion.

zorg
07-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Can I see the site you got that from. I can't imagine Federer saying that. Although I might, if Nadal said something about beating him and he should be number 1.

grimmbomb21
07-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Obiviously, Nadal got into his nerves. It's more on insecurity than arrogance in my opinion.

I agree. If it was really said. Hopefully Nadal can get to the final so he can play Fed on his surface. It's got to be annoying to be the best in the world by such a large margin, then have so much difficulty beating the number two guy, who can't manage to get to a final to play you on your best surface.

D-man
07-05-2006, 10:31 PM

bingo.

Rhino
07-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Again Roger just speaks the truth and all the Nadalettes throw a tantrem.

The Pusher Terminator
07-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Again Roger just speaks the truth

Couldnt agree more. Like most Fed fans you have missed the point.

Take your pick...either Fed is arrogant or Nadal got into his head. Its a lose lose situation for Fed & fans.

austro
07-06-2006, 03:08 AM
This is just made up by someone trying to stir the pot. He hasn't said that.

Marat Safinator
07-06-2006, 03:10 AM
theres no link. but if he has said that: good for him. nadal is a jackass.

superman1
07-06-2006, 03:21 AM
I haven't read him saying that in any press conference. He did say this:

Q. It's a long way off, of course, but if this were to come down to a final between you and Rafael Nadal, what do you think that would do for the development of the rivalry, how might that fuel even more interest in men's tennis?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, it's not all me and him, you know. Even though the attention was very big throughout the clay court season because we played in three finals, and before that just leading up we were playing in Dubai, too, in the finals. Obviously, it would be sort of interesting now on grass, you know. We don't know how good he still is, you know, because he had a pretty good draw so far, even though Andre, you know, is a tough player. Obviously, if he made the final, that would be quite a surprise, I think, to many, even though, you know, he's such a good player that you could expect him to.

Q. To what degree would it surprise even you?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, to a certain degree (smiling).

Q. Can you elaborate?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I mean, he hits the ball so well, you know. He's a good mover. So obviously, he's got, you know, that strength going for him. And then obviously the confidence and everything. So that makes a big difference in the game.

skip1969
07-06-2006, 03:25 AM
remember back in school, when there was that ONE guy that you couldn't STAND . . . you know the guy i'm talkin about . . . the one you absolutely hated (for whatever reason)??

did you go following that dude around school, eavesdropping on his conversations, quoting him at every opportunity to your friends, just so that you could PROVE what an a**hole he was?? did your life become consumed by this guy, and he became the topic of every conversation?? did you constantly obssess about him, so much so, that it made you look like some deranged person who was liable to do anything to prove to the world that this guy was a first class heel??

of course you didn't. you simply determined that the guy at school . . . well, you and him didn't really get on very well. you didn't like him, you were never GOING to like him, and that was that. and then you went about living your life, steering clear of him as much as possible, purposely avoiding him even, never really bringing him up in conversation (or saying too much if someone else did), comforted in the knowledge that come graduation day, you'd probably never have to see him again.

well boys, that little strategy . . . it still works.

David L
07-06-2006, 03:43 AM

This sounds made up. I don't think we'll get a link, because there is'nt one.

Grimjack
07-06-2006, 04:42 AM
Couldnt agree more. Like most Fed fans you have missed the point.

Take your pick...either Fed is arrogant or Nadal got into his head. Its a lose lose situation for Fed & fans.

This would only be true if he were spontaneously bleating truth to anyone who could hear. As it is, he's simply answering questions that the media are demanding answers to. And he's doing so eloquently and honestly, unlike the Queen of Clay, who sort of bumbles his way in caveman English through everything.

But then, I wouldn't expect you to see the obviously correct third option. Holy ****, this site is full of idiots.

David L
07-06-2006, 04:59 AM
This would only be true if he were spontaneously bleating truth to anyone who could hear. As it is, he's simply answering questions that the media are demanding answers to. And he's doing so eloquently and honestly, unlike the Queen of Clay, who sort of bumbles his way in caveman English through everything.

But then, I wouldn't expect you to see the obviously correct third option. Holy ****, this site is full of idiots.

Don't you realise? The quote is fake.

El Diablo
07-06-2006, 05:18 AM
My favorite Federer quote came from James Blake, who pointed out after the two played a final that Federer was the only player who sent him get-well wishes when he was in a hospital. Shall we judge people by their rushed unprepared responses to an interviewer or they way they actually live their lives before we deem them arrogant. I think Federer's generous instincts make him a vulnerable interviewee -- he tends to give interviewers long rambling answers than can sound self-absorbed. I don't really know if Federer is the best or second-best player in the world midway through 2006 but the guy is a magnificent champion, and we're still eagerly waiting to see if Mr. Nadal will ever do something worthwhile for anyone but himself.

ATXtennisaddict
07-06-2006, 05:24 AM

i think what he means is that he has a lot more points because he's more consistent on other surfaces as well.

Manda_D
07-06-2006, 05:43 AM
plus, who cares if he was supposedly sounding arrogant? dont you think by now he has a right to be even just a little arrogant??!! give the kid a break why dont you.

tennisjunkiela
07-06-2006, 05:50 AM
This sounds made up. I don't think we'll get a link, because there is'nt one.

i too think that this quote is made up since we haven't gotten a link

knasty131
07-06-2006, 05:57 AM
I don't really know if Federer is the best or second-best player in the world midway through 2006 but the guy is a magnificent champion, and we're still eagerly waiting to see if Mr. Nadal will ever do something worthwhile for anyone but himself.

Diablo, I must say I don't agree with this part of your post. I can understand the thought that he may not be the best player in the world (solely based on his record against nadal, nothing else), but not even second best? By any chance have you seen the points for Federer and Nadal...and then seeing who is next in line??? It's a long shot that either of them drop to the #3 spot.

HollerOne5
07-06-2006, 05:57 AM
Sorry I didn't post the link, it's definitely not made up. Here.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/sl_price/07/05/showdown/1.html

This is the second page of the article that it is on....

Tu Madre
07-06-2006, 06:02 AM
If the quote is real; it is the truth. I just hope (if Nadal reaches the final) he can give Federer some trouble.

Rickson
07-06-2006, 06:59 AM

Federer can beat Nadal on grass and hard courts and is catching up on clay. Being a great all around player on every surface is what makes Federer number 1.

tennisjunkiela
07-06-2006, 07:08 AM

wow, thanks for the link. i thought the commentary right after roger's comments was very interesting:

"That last reminder was unnecessary, but perhaps the clearest sign that Nadal is in Federer's head. You know what they say about overcompensation. Sometimes, even real men get insecure."

Taram_Nifas
07-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Why are their still some lingering doubts about the authenticity of the Federer quote? I've read it myself.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/sl_price/07/05/showdown/

What Federer says is accurate for the most part, even Nadal is probably surprised he's played so well on grass. Federer is number one untill Nadal overtakes him, which could very well happen.

VamosRafa
07-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Roger does sound very insecure in that quote.

Rory G
07-06-2006, 08:02 AM

Yeah, why wouldn't a young man from Spain be fluent in English?! He should learn to speak correct English so people like you can understand him!! You are right...this site does have a few idiots ;)

Simon Cowell
07-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Federer can beat Nadal on grass and hard courts and is catching up on clay. Being a great all around player on every surface is what makes Federer number 1.

No he can't. Nadal beat him on the FAST courts of Dubai this year. It's over for Fed on all other surfaces than grass (Which Rafa can full well beat him on)

Rickson
07-06-2006, 08:16 AM
No he can't. Nadal beat him on the FAST courts of Dubai this year. It's over for Fed on all other surfaces than grass (Which Rafa can full well beat him on)
Yes he can. Federer beat him in Miami.

VamosRafa
07-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Yes he can. Federer beat him in Miami.

Yeah, but that's a slow hardcourt, according to most folks here. And the year before that, Rafa beat him there anyway.

Rickson
07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah, but that's a slow hardcourt, according to most folks here. And the year before that, Rafa beat him there anyway.
Susan, I can respect you more than the want to be American Idol judge because you stuck with your player through thick and thin, but do you really feel that Rafa has a chance against Roger on grass? Do you really think that's the case?

Fatmike
07-06-2006, 09:26 AM

why would'nt he say so if it's true....

Viper
07-06-2006, 09:33 AM
How come everyone gets mad everytime someone talks about how good they are? You want everyone to go Kim on us and be like...

" You know, I played 2.7384/10 out there. I really didn't expect to win. I thought I was gonna tank and lose my rank"

shawn1122
07-06-2006, 09:34 AM
My friends, sometimes the truth hurts.

Offshore
07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Am I the only one that likes them both, for different reasons? I like Federer because of his unequalled ability and creativity on the court. He is a good sport, and very professional. Also very likeable. I have not enjoyed watching someone play as much as this in many years, if ever. A great champion. I like Nadal for his fighting spirit. He is also very likeable and respectful of the game and his opponents. For someone to be so polished on and off the court with the success that he has had, the media scrutiniy, and his young age is extremely rare. His game is also a enjoyable to watch for the pure athletisism and unbelievable shotmaking. That is why when the two play each other, on any surface, it is tennis at its best.

The Pusher Terminator
07-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Have you ever noticed that Roger has bad things to say about Nadal but Nadal always says nice things about Roger. Ever wonder why? According to Tennis week its because Roger is mentally suffering:

"Everyone knows I like Roger," Nadal says, there is never any criticism, truculence or even a hint of any malice towards Roger. Federer, on the other hand, has shown glimpses of irritation at Nadal. This year he accused Nadal's coach, uncle Toni Nadal, of illegally coaching from his box. He called Nadal's game "one-dimensional" before this year's defeat at Monte Carlo.

Last year at the French Open, Federer seemed slightly annoyed when reporters told him that Nadal said there was "no favorite" to win Roland Garros. "That's an interesting way to put pressure on people," said Federer. "It's clever. He's not stupid. I think there are a number of favorites here, and he knows well who they are."

In the aftermath of Nadal's victory over Federer in the French Open final, the Swiss stylist issued a subtle slight at Nadal by calling him "a grinder" immediately after the match.

Let's be blunt now, Nadal has pushed Federer around for 14 months and so far the Swiss gentleman has had no answers, no effective counterattacks. The ruthless bullying on the court just continues on. It's an intriguing clash of wills between the two strongest tennis players on earth today, a compelling drama with many chapters to read in the future. What ideas will Federer devise on how to halt this domination at the hands of Nadal? What can Roger do to circumvent his failings in the psychological warfare department? Is Nadal much smarter than his young age would suggest? Is he actually more intelligent than Federer is on court, using that higher tennis IQ to be able to outplay him five consecutive matches? Has Federer been intimidated by the intensity and fury of his powerful rival? "......

Tennis Week

HollerOne5
07-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Everyone is saying that the quote is true so its ok, but the title of the thread is "arrogance" and thats exactly what it is.....

Obviously he is insecure, because no one is doubting that he is number one, but he feels he needs to remind everyone that he is....then, by using the words "by far the #1" is just ridiculous. Rafael would never say such a thing, even in his broken English.

shawn1122
07-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Everyone is saying that the quote is true so its ok, but the title of the thread is "arrogance" and thats exactly what it is.....

Obviously he is insecure, because no one is doubting that he is number one, but he feels he needs to remind everyone that he is....then, by using the words "by far the #1" is just ridiculous. Rafael would never say such a thing, even in his broken English.
He was just looking at it in terms of ranking points. He's like 3000 points against the #2 player. I think that makes him "by far the #1"

HollerOne5
07-06-2006, 12:19 PM
He was just looking at it in terms of ranking points. He's like 3000 points against the #2 player. I think that makes him "by far the #1"

Actually he is more around 2700 ahead yes, and if Nadal wins Wimbledon over Federer, that lead will be cut directly in half. Federer is worried believe me....

HollerOne5
07-06-2006, 12:25 PM
And either way, its just to show that Roger is definitely rattled by Nadal and there is no need to say such things, even if he is 5,000 points ahead in the rankings, does anyone understand the point of that?

The tennis guy
07-06-2006, 12:27 PM

You need to put context for the answer from Federer. This is what Federer is responding to:

But the most heavily trafficked these days -- because of both source and outrageousness -- is the one voiced by Swedish tennis legend Mats Wilander. "Rafael has the one thing that Roger doesn't: balls," Wilander told Sports Illustrated in Paris. "I don't even think Rafael has two; I think he has three."

What would you say when repond to question like this?

heartman
07-06-2006, 12:27 PM
As a champion who is currently in the league of the game's best ever players, Roger is neither arrogant or overconfident. He speaks from a wealth of accomplishment few have ever achieved - he's a nice guy, a true sportsman, a humble winner and a noble loser. He's a wonderful role model for tennis, for all ages. I know it sounds sappy...whatever, it's true.

fastdunn
07-06-2006, 12:31 PM
There's supposed to be differences in male and female competition
patterns. Females tend to take on-court matters off court while
males don't. Many top female pros are enemies each other in their
off-court personal life. Male top pros tend to befriend each other
while competing fiercely on court.

HollerOne5
07-06-2006, 12:32 PM
As a champion who is currently in the league of the game's best ever players, Roger is neither arrogant or overconfident. He speaks from a wealth of accomplishment few have ever achieved - he's a nice guy, a true sportsman, a humble winner and a noble loser. He's a wonderful role model for tennis, for all ages. I know it sounds sappy...whatever, it's true.

Noble loser huh? You might think this because its only happened a handful of times in the past 3 years, but trust me, he is far from a noble loser. He even admitted that when he was losing more often and wasn't number one, he was a bad loser. Just because you win everything, it doesn't justify saying you are a noble loser.

Throwing his racket in Miami 05 and smashing a ball in Monte Carlo 06 definitely not so humble and noble. After losing the FO final, referring to Rafa as a grinder, he was definitely disturbed by it....I think everyone overestimates Roger's comments as being genuine, when in actuality, he thinks he's god's gift to the tennis world.

typingchamp
07-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Actually he is more around 2700 ahead yes, and if Nadal wins Wimbledon over Federer, that lead will be cut directly in half. Federer is worried believe me....

Yes, and also remember that Nadal missed the Aussie Open so he has zero points from the start of year and also zero points from Masters Final. Those are two huge tourneys to have zero points at. US Open, Rafa also lost early.

So . . . if he stays injury free, he can have a good shot at number one. I didn't say he has it, but he has a good shot because he can't do worse than getting zero points.

Roger has mentioned far too many times negative comments about Nadal while Nadal always speaks highly of Roger.

fastdunn
07-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Federer is cranky and insecure becasue Nadal exposes Federer's
weakness: weak backhand and net game. Against Nadal even his
footwork looks slow sometimes. This threatens the base
of his reign, IMHO.

Actually he is right about his being #1 by far but Nadal is "potentially"
serious challenge to his reign and he knows it. That's why he is anxious
and cranky now about Nadal.

But this is only beginning of the battle. Still big uncertainties on
Nadal future on hard courts and grass courts..

HollerOne5
07-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Yes, and also remember that Nadal missed the Aussie Open so he has zero points from the start of year and also zero points from Masters Final. Those are two huge tourneys to have zero points at. US Open, Rafa also lost early.

So . . . if he stays injury free, he can have a good shot at number one. I didn't say he has it, but he has a good shot because he can't do worse than getting zero points.

This is true, but Rafael has to defend two masters series events, but has 1 point to defend at Cincy and 0 in Paris, before the Masters Cup. Roger also has 0 to defend at 3 remaining masters events from not playing last year. Only time will tell.....

bobdebouwer
07-06-2006, 01:03 PM
lately, every time federer has to answer a question about nadal, he says something unpleasant. Federer is supposed to be a nice well-mannered person, but it doesn't show.

tlm
07-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Fed is a big headed jerk,he always has been,the fed fans are so in love with him it doesnt matter what he says.

He has made many arrogant statements in the last few years,but like always there is a boat load of phony excuses.

The tennis guy
07-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Fed is a big headed jerk,he always has been,the fed fans are so in love with him it doesnt matter what he says.

He has made many arrogant statements in the last few years,but like always there is a boat load of phony excuses.

What excuse do you need when you win 7 slams in 3 years? It seems others are trying to find excuse why Federer is still 2700 points ahead.

The Pusher Terminator
07-06-2006, 02:10 PM
What excuse do you need when you win 7 slams in 3 years? It seems others are trying to find excuse why Federer is still 2700 points ahead.

He needed an excuse for each of his 6 losses to Nadal.

The tennis guy
07-06-2006, 02:12 PM
He needed an excuse for each of his 6 losses to Nadal.

What excuse did he find?

oscar_2424
07-06-2006, 02:15 PM
A true champion doesnt need to say that he is the best, that is being arrogant.

The Pusher Terminator
07-06-2006, 02:17 PM
What excuse did he find?

shall I really go through the top five fed fan excuses for his losses to Nadal? Well here are some of my favorites.

1. Nadal was coached. (Fed himself has said this one)

2. Fed made too many unforced errors

3. The hard couirts Fed lost on were "slow" hard courts

4. Feds ankle hurt.

5. Fed had a bad day.

Its pathetic already.

The tennis guy
07-06-2006, 02:26 PM
shall I really go through the top five fed fan excuses for his losses to Nadal? Well here are some of my favorites.

1. Nadal was coached. (Fed himself has said this one)

2. Fed made too many unforced errors

3. The hard couirts Fed lost on were "slow" hard courts

4. Feds ankle hurt.

5. Fed had a bad day.

Its pathetic already.

Never heard anke hurt one - if he said that or someone else said, that was excuse. It seems Fed did make too many unforced errors in those matches, and those hardcourts are slow. If they had played at US Open hardcourt, and Federer lost, no one would say the court is slow because it isn't.

The Pusher Terminator
07-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Never heard anke hurt one - if he said that or someone else said, that was excuse. It seems Fed did make too many unforced errors in those matches, and those hardcourts are slow. If they had played at US Open hardcourt, and Federer lost, no one would say the court is slow because it isn't.

OMG what a crybaby. Fed lost twice on hardcourts and was lucky to even win once. Nadal would have beat Fed on any hardcourt...end of story. Each time Nadal wins you guys have some lame excuse.

Fed did NOT make too many unforced errors. What you guys keep missing is that Fed could not hit his normal shots beause Nadal would return them! Fed was FORCED to hit everything at 100 % at full throttle. Therefore what semed as unforced errors was really a desperate Federer.

You are silent about the coaching excuse. Do you really believe that Fed lost because Nadal was coached? That is just sooooo lame!

"The Spaniard has won six out of seven from Federer and actually it could have very easily been a perfect seven had he not blown a two sets and a break lead in the Key Biscayne final last year"...tennis week

simi
07-06-2006, 02:35 PM
OMG what a crybaby...

Pusher, don't be such an idiot again. You really cleaned up your act several weeks ago, and I've enjoyed your posts. But now, your going to your old stupid tactics again. Tone it down, please.

The Pusher Terminator
07-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Pusher, don't be such an idiot again. You really cleaned up your act several weeks ago, and I've enjoyed your posts. But now, your going to your old stupid tactics again. Tone it down, please.

There was nothing to clean up. I have toned down nothing and there is nothing to tone down. I can't help it if you guys have open wounds that wont heal. Do you really think that calling a Fed fan a crybaby is offensive? I can't help it if the truth hurts. I will never stop exposing Fed. Why can't you guys just see the truth. You are witnessing the beginning of the end. The Fed era is over. The sooner you realize it the sooner the pain will stop. Now read it and weep:

"Nadal seems supremely confident he will dethrone Federer, and the process apparently is underway before our eyes. "....Tennis Week

jukka1970
07-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the link. Ok well here is the question that led to his answer. "Asked if he wants a piece of Nadal here and now, on what he has come to see as his own turf, Federer doesn't hesitate.

With that question I don't see the answer as being arrogant. The question challenges Federer to explain why he wants a shot at Nadal on what he considers his own turf.

Apart from that, this is also another posting from Sports Illustrated. you know the excuse for a sports magazine that gets most of it's subscriptions because of the babes in a bikini. This magazine has never had a clue about tennis. 99.9% of their coverage is baseball, basketball, hockey and football. In fact someone already posted another excerpt from yet another writer from Sports Illustrated who wrote how Roddick could beat Federer. And well we know how much garbage that one was worth.

Jukka

Simon Cowell
07-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Read it and weep: Nadal is 4-0 against Federer this year. LOL! Get all your shots in about Nadal while you still can because when he wins Wimbledon there will be no more excuses.

fastdunn
07-06-2006, 03:07 PM
I really hope to see Federer-Nadal final !
This would be bigger than world cup final !

Simon Cowell
07-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Don't worry Push, I've noticed that dh003i is about "by far" the worst poster on these boards and probably just the organizer of the Federer fan club. He orgasms every time he sees Federer and his obsession blinds the truth from him.

Seriously...this guys posts border on emotionally insane. He reminds me of that Iraqi politician/general in 2003 who was on tv outright lying and saying "We are winning the war against the U.S., you have nothing to worry about"

Kaptain Karl
07-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Am I the only one that likes them both, for different reasons? I like Federer because of his unequalled ability and creativity on the court. He is a good sport, and very professional. Also very likeable. I have not enjoyed watching someone play as much as this in many years, if ever. A great champion. I like Nadal for his fighting spirit. He is also very likeable and respectful of the game and his opponents. For someone to be so polished on and off the court with the success that he has had, the media scrutiniy, and his young age is extremely rare. His game is also a enjoyable to watch for the pure athletisism and unbelievable shotmaking. That is why when the two play each other, on any surface, it is tennis at its best.Finally, some sanity. Thank you, Offshore.

There's supposed to be differences in male and female competition
patterns. Females tend to take on-court matters off court while males don't. Many top female pros are enemies each other in their off-court personal life. Male top pros tend to befriend each other while competing fiercely on court.This too, is very true. I've seen many clips of Roger and Rafael sitting or walking with each other, looking as if they were having a great time together.

The OP's SI quote is from an editorial, not a "story". And as one who has been misquoted -- or quoted out of context -- more than a couple times in our local Press, the only way one could interpret Roger's quoted remarks as "proof" of arrogance ... is if you already have a chip on your shoulder about the guy.

- KK

c_zimma
07-06-2006, 03:46 PM
My favorite Federer quote came from James Blake, who pointed out after the two played a final that Federer was the only player who sent him get-well wishes when he was in a hospital. Shall we judge people by their rushed unprepared responses to an interviewer or they way they actually live their lives before we deem them arrogant. I think Federer's generous instincts make him a vulnerable interviewee -- he tends to give interviewers long rambling answers than can sound self-absorbed. I don't really know if Federer is the best or second-best player in the world midway through 2006 but the guy is a magnificent champion, and we're still eagerly waiting to see if Mr. Nadal will ever do something worthwhile for anyone but himself.

Very well said. This is the most important post in this whole thread. A lot of you guys are mixing tennis with personal issues. Tennis is their carreer, not their life. So it is not possible to judge people on what they say to interviewers, who at some times can be very overwhelming. HollerOne, I wonder why Nadal was so busy while James was in the hospital.

Bassus
07-06-2006, 04:57 PM

Based on the final at Rome, I actually started to believe that Federer's talk of getting close to 'figuring out Nadal' on clay had some merit (even though the true message of that match in Rome was that Federer should have won, but blew it on multiple occasions in the fifth set), but then the French Open final happened, and that was regression, pure and simple.

Nadal gift-wrapped the first set for him, but as soon as Nadal raised his game, Federer went away, shanking backhands so badly that it was hard to believe it was the world's number one doing the shanking. Federer shows some of his great champion pedigree to get into a 4th set tiebreak, and possibly win back momentum, and then what? He barely shows up for the breaker.

I hate to be so negative, especially since I'm a Federer fan, but at a minimum Federer should stop saying anything that can be taken in any way as a knock on Nadal. He should copy Nadal's approach to talking about him, and just say good things. I hope you're right that Federer is catching up on clay, and that the French final was not a harbinger of things to come in future clay-court seasons. But seeing as how Nadal's serve is expected to only get better, is there really much room for Federer to 'catch up' any more? Doesn't he really just have to hope that his backhand is on when he plays Nadal?

wilsonfaithful
07-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Again Roger just speaks the truth and all the Nadalettes throw a tantrem.
ha ha so true but im a fed worshiper so i dont get a say:)

superman1
07-06-2006, 05:40 PM
On grass, indoors, and hardcourt I'm going to favor Federer. Just because Nadal is 2-1 against him on hardcourt doesn't mean he has his number on faster surfaces. Those matches were all very close. In fact, Federer was killing him in Dubai for a while.

However, the days of Federer saying "I'm figuring him out" are over. Nadal can't be figured out, he's too good for that. You just have to beat him the hard way and be willing to spend hours fighting for every point. Maybe that's why Agassi never had a good chance against him, a 36 year old can't be fighting like that for more than one set.

tlm
07-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Well superman, i must give you credit you are giving nadal some respect .

dannyjjang
07-06-2006, 06:35 PM
NADAL WILL INJURE HIMSELF IN THE YEAR 2007 and just like chang he will not play like he used to!

dh003i
07-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Simon,

You do realize, don't you, that the absolute worst match Federer played at Wimbledon this year couldn't be beaten by the best match of any other player on the tour, including the lucky Nadal, right?

You shouldn't even be so confident he will get past Baghdatis. I suppose you haven't been watching lately, Baghdatis is playing much better grass-court tennis than Nadal.

typingchamp
07-06-2006, 06:46 PM
On grass, indoors, and hardcourt I'm going to favor Federer. Just because Nadal is 2-1 against him on hardcourt doesn't mean he has his number on faster surfaces. Those matches were all very close. In fact, Federer was killing him in Dubai for a while.

However, the days of Federer saying "I'm figuring him out" are over. Nadal can't be figured out, he's too good for that. You just have to beat him the hard way and be willing to spend hours fighting for every point. Maybe that's why Agassi never had a good chance against him, a 36 year old can't be fighting like that for more than one set.

Well said . . . but don't forget that the one match he lost, Nadal was up two sets and a break and kinda lost it mentally (he was young in the most important final of his life, so it's reasonable).

I would take Federer on grass, even on hardcourts with slight edge to Nadal, and Nadal on clay.

It's going to be a great rivalry. It's like a suped up Sampras vs. Agassi in that they both had their strengths on different surfaces but were even(-ish) on hardcourt. Difference here is that Federer is not that far away on clay so that they will play a lot there and Nadal is getting to grips on grass so they may play there as well, whereas Sampras was never good enough to play Agassi in French Open Final (and Agassi was never that dominant on clay anyway) and Sampras was overwhelming on grass . . . so the rivalry was kinda lopsided at times.

So yeah, I agree mostly with what you're saying but I wouldn't discount Nadal's record against Roger on hardcourt so easily.

rrhstennis
07-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Simon,

You do realize, don't you, that the absolute worst match Federer played at Wimbledon this year couldn't be beaten by the best match of any other player on the tour, including the lucky Nadal, right?

You shouldn't even be so confident he will get past Baghdatis. I suppose you haven't been watching lately, Baghdatis is playing much better grass-court tennis than Nadal.

Don't worry about that, just join the "let's hope Simon leaves the boards in embarassment" club when Nadal bows out of Wimbledon tomorrow or Sunday.

emcee
07-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I recall Fed saying once something like "It's a shame that we (him and Nadal) don't really get to meet in grass tournaments..."

I thought, "You mean, because Nadal doesn't get far enough in them to meet you?"

And he paused and said, "Because the grass court season is so short."

So yeah, I think Nadal's gotten into his head a little bit. But Nadal ain't beating him on grass.

bagung
07-06-2006, 09:26 PM
but, the fact is nadal who always beat fed in hard court & clay, and is catching up in grass too.....:mrgreen:

bagung
07-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Simon,

ha ha ha... very funny..... baghdatis is no match to nadal, not even fed.... nadal will proves it this weekend...... beat baghdatis 3-1, and beat fed in 3-2:mrgreen:

VamosRafa
07-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Don't worry about that, just join the "let's hope Simon leaves the boards in embarassment" club when Nadal bows out of Wimbledon tomorrow or Sunday.

No Nadal fan has to bow out in embarrassment given Rafa's performance at Wimbly.

If nothing else, it's stopped the "wake-me-up-when-Rafa-does-something-else-at-a-slam-other-than-RG" stuff we continue to hear. He has done something else at a slam, on his worst surface. So win or lose, he's setting himself up with confidence for the future.

Future looks bright from where I'm sitting. ;-)

artworks
07-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Roger does sound very insecure in that quote.

Exactly.

Nike Man
07-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Am I the only one that likes them both, for different reasons? I like Federer because of his unequalled ability and creativity on the court. He is a good sport, and very professional. Also very likeable. I have not enjoyed watching someone play as much as this in many years, if ever. A great champion. I like Nadal for his fighting spirit. He is also very likeable and respectful of the game and his opponents. For someone to be so polished on and off the court with the success that he has had, the media scrutiniy, and his young age is extremely rare. His game is also a enjoyable to watch for the pure athletisism and unbelievable shotmaking. That is why when the two play each other, on any surface, it is tennis at its best.

Thank you! Someone who has the same oponion as me. We should appreciate both players and their unique styles because it is tennis and we all love tennis. Just because they are both different it doesn't mean we have to choose one or the other!

The Pusher Terminator
07-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Simon,

I don't know if you have noticed it or not but I am no longer alone. I actually now have supporters. I want to thank you because I attribute much of that support to you. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

brucie
07-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Well I know Id say this if I was Roger!

mowcopian
07-07-2006, 06:46 AM
same here, a chance to get nadal on his own feeding grounds as it were.

simi
07-07-2006, 06:58 AM
NADAL WILL INJURE HIMSELF IN THE YEAR 2007 and just like chang he will not play like he used to!

We should not wish ill will on anyone. Pro tennis needs both Nadal and Federer.

siber222000
07-07-2006, 09:15 AM
hollerone5 is just a fed hater who wants to take every chance of saying federer is very arrogant.... also his one of those nadal boy so I'm not goin to even bother see if this is true or not

Free_Martha
10-05-2006, 11:13 AM
The Fedbot bragging about beating a low ranked player again--

World number one Roger Federer quickly ended Wesley Moodie's reign as Japan Open champion with a clinical 6-2 6-1 win to reach the quarter-finals on Thursday.

"I played great and came up with an incredible match," Federer told
reporters. "I hit a few really great shots but to win so convincingly
was quite surprising."

8PAQ
10-05-2006, 12:04 PM
The Fedbot bragging about beating a low ranked player again--

World number one Roger Federer quickly ended Wesley Moodie's reign as Japan Open champion with a clinical 6-2 6-1 win to reach the quarter-finals on Thursday.

"I played great and came up with an incredible match," Federer told
reporters. "I hit a few really great shots but to win so convincingly
was quite surprising."

Yeah, Moodie totally sucks. After all he only took Nadal to two tie breaks at the US Open (6-4 7-6(5) 7-6(4)) and he was the defending champ in Tokyo. Federer should be ashamed that he lost 3 games to that guy and took 55 minutes to beat him. Maybe Fed was off today because he woke up in the middle of the night and banged his leg on the corner of the bed. It has to be that. I mean to take 55 min to beat a defending champ! Come on Fed you can do better than that!

Baghdatis72
10-05-2006, 12:11 PM

Federer and Nadal are not only rivals in the court but out of the court too. This was said by Federer to hit Nadal back as he is the only one who managed to get into his mind and bother him affecting his play (Baghdatis did that too at the Australian Open until the middle of the second set where he lost it).

arosen
10-05-2006, 01:06 PM
The fact that Nadal owns Federer is a remarkable achievement on Rafa's part. However, Federer owns the rest of the tour, and it's a big tour, so his reign is far more significant. It's almost wicked though, how Rafa gets to beat the top dog so consistently.

orangeblood
10-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Not biased towards either Fed or Nad, but hasn't Federer earned the right to say these things, even if they were factually true? Should it really matter? He's clearly on a higher level, so regardless of what others preach or whine, he's still by far the most competent #1 we've had in recent years (with exception to Sampras perhaps, but that remains to be seen).

Ten_is
10-05-2006, 01:57 PM

Actually who cares if he says that.. really. He's number 1,.. and if he talks this way, maybe you don't like him but at least he's blunt and truthful about things.

He plays someone and he's like.. that was easy. Or plays Roddick in Wimbledon finals and says.. that was the best game he played and I had a tough time but I still won.

Or.. maybe it's his strategy to stay at the top and have people hate him.. who knows. He is however.. a very calm person either way if he wins or loses. He's not a nervous guy at all.

Ten_is
10-05-2006, 02:03 PM
it's a strategy in my opinion. And I think other players build certain perceptions when they end up playing him. Especially Roddick. He seemed really nervous on the court during the coin toss of US Open 2006. Fed stayed calm and confident. You could tell Roddick's footwork wasn't as impressive during that final as compared to his semi-final game which was remarkable.

Off court he is like "it gave me the edge over all the players". But on court he just plays and stays humble. Who knows really.. all you can do is laugh about it..

http://www.youtube.com/v/MLGZkcWRkqU

Zaragoza
10-06-2006, 04:15 AM
Have you ever noticed that Roger has bad things to say about Nadal but Nadal always says nice things about Roger. Ever wonder why? According to Tennis week its because Roger is mentally suffering:

"Everyone knows I like Roger," Nadal says, there is never any criticism, truculence or even a hint of any malice towards Roger. Federer, on the other hand, has shown glimpses of irritation at Nadal. This year he accused Nadal's coach, uncle Toni Nadal, of illegally coaching from his box. He called Nadal's game "one-dimensional" before this year's defeat at Monte Carlo.

Last year at the French Open, Federer seemed slightly annoyed when reporters told him that Nadal said there was "no favorite" to win Roland Garros. "That's an interesting way to put pressure on people," said Federer. "It's clever. He's not stupid. I think there are a number of favorites here, and he knows well who they are."

In the aftermath of Nadal's victory over Federer in the French Open final, the Swiss stylist issued a subtle slight at Nadal by calling him "a grinder" immediately after the match.

Let's be blunt now, Nadal has pushed Federer around for 14 months and so far the Swiss gentleman has had no answers, no effective counterattacks. The ruthless bullying on the court just continues on. It's an intriguing clash of wills between the two strongest tennis players on earth today, a compelling drama with many chapters to read in the future. What ideas will Federer devise on how to halt this domination at the hands of Nadal? What can Roger do to circumvent his failings in the psychological warfare department? Is Nadal much smarter than his young age would suggest? Is he actually more intelligent than Federer is on court, using that higher tennis IQ to be able to outplay him five consecutive matches? Has Federer been intimidated by the intensity and fury of his powerful rival? "......

Tennis Week

Im totally agree with this one. Normally, world no.1 should say more nice things about no.2 from his leadership but here we have a world no.2 who is nicer with world no. 1 than he is with world no.2
World no. 2 loses to no. 1 and says about him hes unbelievable, the best player in history... also when he beat him. Then world no.1 loses to no. 2 and says about him hes very effective on what he does and has one dimensional game. I definitely prefer the class no.2 is showing.

Rataplan
10-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Not biased towards either Fed or Nad, but hasn't Federer earned the right to say these things, even if they were factually true?
Without getting into the argument whether Fed is arrogant or not: why do people keep saying things like "Federer as the number one has earned the right to say these things".

From what moment on does a player get a free pass to say whatever he wants about "these things" and just until when exactly does he need to to shut up about "these things"?

It's a free world, everybody is entitled to have an opinion and to share that opinion just like others are free to disagree with it.

Fedubai
10-06-2006, 06:37 AM
What has Federer said that is so offensive to Nadal fans? He doesn't need to earn the right to say something that's true, or to express an opinion. What he has earned the right for, is to be a champion. Along with that comes a certain pride, and no champion doesn't have it.

What Federer said about Nadal's game was 100 percent true at the time, and still is. It doesn't mean he isn't unbelievable at what he does, and that's exactly what Federer said. Sure Federer has been a little frustrated at the 6-2 record, but wait till Nadal gets a little older and has all the stuff to deal with as number one that Federer has. Right now Nadal hasn't really learned what it's like to lose. He's 20 years old, he has a long way to go to prove who he really is. Wait till he realizes that no success is for sure, and that other players will be replacing the old lion.

If Nadal fans want peace with Federer fans, come up with a good explanation why Nadal's camp had such a superior attitude about the coaching issue. Federer voiced a complaint that he thought illegal coaching was taking place, Nadal and his team respond by saying Federer has to learn how lose, that Federer is just worried about the Grand Slam like there is some mental issue and little kid Roger will correct his mistake.

That kind of stuff is a little souring, as is Nadal's position about coaching, that it should be allowed and he promises it will soon, as well as the continuing time violations, and his offended behavior as if umpires aren't supposed to call out rule violations.

Right now, all that stuff is pretty much forgotten and I'm fine with that, however it's just under the surface and hasn't been resolved. I just don't want to hear about how arrogant Federer is while Nadal fans take advantage of an opportunity to criticise while praising their player.

As if Nadal is the model of humility and respect, and Federer is just a player that has a good attitude because he wins.

Swissv2
10-06-2006, 07:17 AM
I just don't want to hear about how arrogant Federer is while Nadal fans take advantage of an opportunity to criticise while praising their player.

totally agreed.

poplar
10-06-2006, 08:36 AM

OMG, English is not my native language and even I know that "by far" means " up to now "....and you guys have to twist it into something arrogant.

Rataplan
10-06-2006, 08:46 AM
I just don't want to hear about how arrogant Federer is while Nadal fans take advantage of an opportunity to criticise while praising their player.
Pffft...as if some of the Federer fans don't take up every opportunity to take Nadal down a notch or two and they sell that opinion of theirs as "hey, I'm only telling the truth". :rolleyes:
That coin has two sides, you know, but it's a bit pointless to look at it from a "them vs us" point of view because there are bad apples on every side.

If Nadal fans want peace with Federer fans, come up with a good explanation why Nadal's camp had such a superior attitude about the coaching issue. Federer voiced a complaint that he thought illegal coaching was taking place, Nadal and his team respond by saying Federer has to learn how lose, that Federer is just worried about the Grand Slam like there is some mental issue and little kid Roger will correct his mistake.

That would only amount to something constructive in this debate if you're willing to put your apparent "I'm right, you're wrong" badge aside and really listen to what other people have to say.
However, I do have the impression that you have made up your mind about it a long time ago so what's the point? It's been talked over many times already.
What's the use in asking people with a different opinion on this matter for a validation of that opinion if you have made up your own mind a long time ago and you're not willing to give an inch or really listen to that opinion without thinking well in advance that it's going to be nonsense anyway.

Kaptain Karl
10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
OMG, English is not my native language and even I know that "by far" means "up to now "....You posted that English isn't your first language, so I hope you'll appreciate I'm trying to *help* ... not ridicule.

"By far" means way ahead of (whoever is next in line).

"So far" means up to now.

There's quite a bit of difference between the meanings of these two small phrases.

My Venezuelan friend got irritated with the lack of "rules" in English one night. He protested, "Your language has too many exceptions! Pronounce these words ..." And he proceded to write,

Enough
Though
Ought
Bough
Rough
Thought

"What rules do you use to say these?"

[Point made....]

- KK

stoneagle
10-06-2006, 12:07 PM
yes,fed is arrongant. just because he's #1, fed thinks he's the only one
who is praise worthy and nothing else. everybody wants to win too,
not just himself. he doesn't want to give credit to #2, because
nadal keep beating him.

Virtuous
10-06-2006, 09:03 PM
yes,fed is arrongant. just because he's #1, fed thinks he's the only one
who is praise worthy and nothing else. everybody wants to win too,
not just himself. he doesn't want to give credit to #2, because
nadal keep beating him.
LOL

joeyscl
10-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Federer is Ranked #1
Nadal is Ranked #2

End of Discussion

tlm
10-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Nadal is #1 when it comes to respect+fed is #1 when it comes to being a bigheaded jerk!!

Hardball
10-07-2006, 04:39 AM
Federer has the right to say anything he wants just like I. End of Discussion.

Rudy
10-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Fedubai, you asked "What has Federer said that is so offensive to Nadal's fans?

As a Nadal fan, this is what he has said and done that I find offensive:
1. In a press conference called Nadal a one dimensional player.
2. In a press conference accused Toni Nadal of coaching during the Rome Final. Thus accusing Nadal of cheating. Thus saying Nadal is a bad sportsman.
3. In a tv spot for EPSN for the French, he compared his Roger Slam to Nadal's streak, and said that his accomplishment was more important.
4. In his press conferences after his losses to Nadal, he descirbed those losses as 'being a pity".
5. When asked by Bud Collins following the French final, he described Nadal as a fighter and a grinder, and that he didn't show anything any different.
6. In a press conference at Wimbledon he made snide remarks about Nadal recieving the streak trophy at the French.
7. In a press conference at Wimbledon he dismissed Nadal as a contender.
8. During his on court interview following his victory at Wimbledon, he stated that he had expected to be playing Roddick or Hewitt.
9. During his off court interview with Bud Collins he dismissed the final as his toughest of the 4, and said that Roddick was a tougher opponent.

My opinion, Federer dismisses Rafa to the press, but until the Djokovic comments, he has been generally been "nice" about his oppenents to the media. But as he chased Rafa across Europe this past spring, he showed a little ire, and it was not attractive. Conversely, you can't really find Rafa being anything but complementary. Look at how he handled Djokovic in Paris. Rafa is a high class sportsman. Win or lose, he gets my vote as the player with the most class.

Kinda off topic, but not really... When in NYC Rafa visited Ground Zero, and Rog went to a Fashion Show. People Magazine asked to include Rafa in this year's Sexist Man issue, he declined, said he was too young , and that he wanted to be thought of as a sportman. And as we know, from last year, Roger was in this issue.

jackson vile
10-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Rafa does have a heart of gold, the world needs more of this

dysonlu
10-07-2006, 11:11 AM
You are right, Fed is such an evil man with no heart, compared to Nadal. Roger should have never attended the fashion show and posing for a magazine. Why can't he be less egocentric and more generous like being a UNICEF spokeperson or something like that, or even establish his own foundation?! <sarcasm>

OMG. Not sure what Fed did to you but you must be the Anti-Fed Champion.

And by the way, regarding the list of "offensive" remarks Fed made, Roger just spoke the truth (especially the Wimbledon comments). He's World #1 and probably didn't feel he had to make any fake *****-kissing comments about anything or anyone and didn't give a damn if someone gets upset with his honest remarks. He would probably not be a very successful politician.

Kinda off topic, but not really... When in NYC Rafa visited Ground Zero, and Rog went to a Fashion Show. People Magazine asked to include Rafa in this year's Sexist Man issue, he declined, said he was too young , and that he wanted to be thought of as a sportman. And as we know, from last year, Roger was in this issue.

Fedubai
10-07-2006, 11:32 AM

So what? Is it not true? Later Federer said that he wasn't sayin Nadal wasn't great at what he did. Just that his game wasn't layered like Safin and Agassi's games are. And whatever Nadal fans want to say about why Federer said what he did, and I have to admit that Federer went a bit far, it was true. Federer didn't really have to say what he did, but Nadal didn't really have to say some of the things about coaching he did either.

2. In a press conference accused Toni Nadal of coaching during the Rome Final. Thus accusing Nadal of cheating. Thus saying Nadal is a bad sportsman.

Again, so what? If Federer believes that what he saw was coaching, isn't he then obligated to point it out? You can't really say it's a sour grapes thing either, because Federer is sticking to that story. Look, Steve Tignor, an editor for tennis magazine, said that he saw Toni Nadal make a gesture smacking one fist into the other, and from then on Nadal did a certain type of serve or something. I don't have any proof, but Toni Nadal is somewhat obnoxious and nobody here knows if he's cheating or not. Nadal is not above question. Nobody is.

3. In a tv spot for EPSN for the French, he compared his Roger Slam to Nadal's streak, and said that his accomplishment was more important.

If Federer had said his accomplishment would be more important, it would be all over the air waves. You don't get away with saying stuff like that without any press. If you say he said that, fine, but I'm little skeptical. Still, he might have. If so, not good. Probably true, but a little too far.

4. In his press conferences after his losses to Nadal, he descirbed those losses as 'being a pity".

They were. This is a bit of a funny observation, since every loss would be 'a pity' to any player, I'd imagine. Federer has said that many times, not just these losses.

5. When asked by Bud Collins following the French final, he described Nadal as a fighter and a grinder, and that he didn't show anything any different.

I don't recall Federer saying he didn't show anything different in those words. I believe he did say that he realized that Nadal was better on clay that day.

6. In a press conference at Wimbledon he made snide remarks about Nadal recieving the streak trophy at the French.

The remarks were about a trophy being given to a player with the whole ceremony like that, and likely would have said the same thing about any player gettin something like that. The question was about what he thought of a trophy like that at Wimbledon I believe, hence the remarks.

How many didn't? Were you expecting Nadal to get to the final, a player who has never been past the third round, and whose game on different surfaces was not as good as on clay? There was a lot of hype about Nadal winning the French, but that didn't necessarily mean that Nadal would get to the final at Wimbledon.

8. During his on court interview following his victory at Wimbledon, he stated that he had expected to be playing Roddick or Hewitt.

And congratulated Nadal on a great tournament, said politely.

9. During his off court interview with Bud Collins he dismissed the final as his toughest of the 4, and said that Roddick was a tougher opponent.

Maybe so. Federer was up two sets to one, a bagel in the first. That never happened against Roddick. In fact Federer had no answer for Roddick's power that day until late in the match. Nadal played a good match but Federer is likely right in saying what he did.

My opinion, Federer dismisses Rafa to the press, but until the Djokovic comments, he has been generally been "nice" about his oppenents to the media. But as he chased Rafa across Europe this past spring, he showed a little ire, and it was not attractive. Conversely, you can't really find Rafa being anything but complementary. Look at how he handled Djokovic in Paris. Rafa is a high class sportsman. Win or lose, he gets my vote as the player with the most class.

You don't mince words about a players unsportsmanlike behavior in the name of politeness. Especially number one. Nobody else was willing to say that about Djokovic, something that needed to be said. Behavior like that puts a black mark on the game, and Federer has taken his responsibility as number one to make sure players don't get away with that.

The ATP didn't do anything about, and hasn't for years. I think that class doesn't really mean that you say polite things about people no matter they do. When you're number one especially, people look for what your opinion is. It's just how it is, and Nadal will see it for himself when he gets there.

Federer certainly could have said better things earlier in the year and last year, but Nadal could have as well.

What's in the past is in the past, and likely will stay there unless something else happens.

Fedubai
10-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Also, I think your comment about Nadal visiting the WTC and Federer going to some fashion show was very poor taste. As if Federer doesn't care that 3,000 people died, and Nadal does. To bandy something like that about in a debate about athletes, in some "Nadal is better than Federer because he visited WTC", and use it like some advantage in an argument is unbelievable, frankly.

illkhiboy
10-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Fedubai, you asked "What has Federer said that is so offensive to Nadal's fans?

As a Nadal fan, this is what he has said and done that I find offensive:

Umm, yes I think you summed it up well that's last statement of yours, it's off topic. Also, I don't see any point to it. If it's just information, ok. Or Are you insinuating that Roger is a show off? Perhaps Rafa is just a bit too humble. Which is good for him I guess, but it's important for people not to be bots. And Roger I guess has somewhat of a showman's flare in him. Actually on the court Rafa has much more of that.
Anyway to your numbered points, I say:

1) Well, I think Nadal is/was a one-dimensional player, at least compared to Roger. Roger did seem a little irritated in that interview, but you forgot to mention he also gave Nadal complements. Perhaps Roger could have broken down Nadal's game in a more 'classy' manner. But his English is not THAT good. One-dimensional sounds a bit harsh, not much to me though.

2) Well if he felt there was coaching going on, he's not wrong to bring it up. Was Nadal being coached? If yes then there is no reason for you to be offended. And Roger said he had taken the issue up with Toni before so it wasnt the first time. And as I recall, Roger spoke to Toni during the match about it and just told the press what was going on when ASKED about it. Nothing wrong with blatant honesty is there?

3) Can you provide a link please? I am sure Roger did not just bring it up arbitrarily. He must have been asked about the two streaks and he just stated his opinion. And I remember Roger said something about streaks not being very important. He did not think his grass court streak merited a trophy.
And he has lots of other streaks, and I never see him boast about it. So I don't find him arrogant. And besides, did he ever say Nadal's clay court run was NOT impressive? I am sure Roger complemented Nadal on that if anything. And yes, to 99pc of tennis fans, Roger's Slam was more important than Nadal's superb streak.

4) Of course he will describe it a pity. What do you find offensive about this? What sort of an elation do you feel from losing? Are you a professional loser?

5) Of course Nadal is a fighter and a grinder. And what's wrong with those words? Calling someone a fighter is arrogant? And Nadal did not really show anything different in the French final. He played great tennis, but he didnt do anything anyone didnt expect him to do. Roger had already played him two finals in the past month, so he already had a good idea of what Nadal was gonna throw at him. That day Federer's backhand broke down and Nadal won the French. Your point?

6) Can you please provide some qoutes? As far as I remember, he said trophies shouldnt be given for streaks. He is entitled to his opinion, and at least half of this board agrees with him. Are you offended by them too?

7) Qoutes please. Again I think your taking things out of context. Roger, like most on the tennis world did not consider Nadal as a contender.

8) Hmm, lets check up on this right away.
*Opens Final file, jumps to the interviews*

Question: We are all loving this rivalry, I guess you are not really..
Roger: Now I am liking it again....but (Laughter)..........I would like to say it's been a great tournament for Rafael. I HONESTLY did not think he was going to play the final this week..thats why when I saw the draw..and thought Roddick and Hewitt were the contenders but it's fantastic so congratulations once again for coming so far.

He just said what everybody thinks. Roger doesnt sugarcoat his words. Whats not to like about that?
I noticed Roger was rather giggly during the interview. A little effeminate. But then I dont know what its like to win 4 consecutive Wimbledons.

9) Roddick was a tougher opponent in 2004. You disagree? Are you sure?

illkhiboy
10-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry FedDubai not trying to steal your light or nuthing. I was doing a bunch of other things while typing that post and didnt refresh the page to check if anyone else had replied.

Rataplan
10-07-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't have any proof, but Toni Nadal is somewhat obnoxious
LOL

That's a rather odd statement to make, certainly coming from somebody who gets her panties in a twist because some people find Federer "arrogant" but ok: on what do you base that opinion? I mean, if you have no proof, why do you say that?

I don't really understand why some of you make such a big deal out of this anyway.
I'm a fan of Michael Schumacher. Many find him arrogant and more than a few people can't stand the guy. Personally, I can understand why some find him arrogant. I can handle being a fan of a person without expecting perfection or without thinking that people are evil if they even dare to criticize the man.

illkhiboy
10-07-2006, 12:07 PM
No tennis player enjoys playing friends in tournaments. They find it a little bit harder to focus and generally don't enjoy the competitiveness too much. Make that arrogant *****, Mr. Roger Federer, an exception. Before the Tokyo final,
"I will enjoy playing Tim. I am little bit excited to play him. It should be fun."
What an ***..

Fedubai
10-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I meant, I don't have any proof that Nadal is coaching. I said he is somewhat obnoxious, which he is. But I don't have any proof that he's coaching. Federer has every right to point out cheating if he thinks it's going on.

Some Nadal fans take advantage of a thread like this to criticise Federer and then praise Nadal. Fine, but don't expect people on the other side of the fence to go along with it. My point was, sure Federer isn't perfect.

Neither is Nadal. If I see a thread like this, the point of which is about Federer's supposed arrogance, of course I'm gonna say something where I find defensible behavior, as a Federer fan.

You use it as a platform to praise Nadal, while denegrating Federer. Fine. But it doesn't mean you're right, or indeed that Federer fans can't handle criticism. Due criticism? Sure. "Federer is arrogant, Nadal is a high class player"? I don't think so.

Nadal_Freak
10-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah I think Federer is somewhat arrogant. Not extremely arrogant but he does bring that swagger that nobody beats me kind of attitude except on clay against Nadal. I enjoyed the beatings he took on clay this year. Hopefully Nadal will continue to keep the edge in the head-to-head matchup.

Rataplan
10-07-2006, 12:36 PM
I meant, I don't have any proof that Nadal is coaching. I said he is somewhat obnoxious, which he is.
Okay, maybe it's just me but you are not making any sense here. Can you please expand?

...he is somewhat obnoxious, which he is but I have no proof...
WTF?

How can you say "he is somewhat obnoxious, which he IS" and say "I have no proof" in the same sentence?
On what do you base that on? Not that it matters all that much. If you find Toni Nadal obnoxious, fine by me but I'm curious why you say this at all.

I mean, you have a hard time accepting the fact that some people put a not so positive label on Roger (arrogance) because you see no proof of it at all and in an earlier post, you even demanded validation of that opinion from "Rafafans" and at the same time, you have no problem at all calling T. Nadal "obnoxious" without having any proof.
What is this all about?

You know, following tennis is much easier if you simply accept that these tennis players are human and thus flawed.
Furthermore, arrogance is not something you can back up with hard facts because it's a matter of perception and that's always subjective.

Why do you care so much if others find him arrogant?

Nobody else was willing to say that about Djokovic, something that needed to be said.
Wrong. It has been discussed long before Roger decided to speak out about it. Monfils for starters.

Rudy
10-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Fedubai,
You posed a question...and I answered it using my opinions. Obviously you and many many others disagree with me. Thats fine. But what is true about me and you, is that everything both of us had to say was taken out of context. Did I take a few cheap shots, yep I did. Sorry for the offense to you and others.

As a fan of tennis I recognize that Federer is quite possibly the greatest player ever, in all probability he will figure out how to turn the tables on Nadal and win all 4 slams. I was privilege to see Federer play on 2 occasions. Once at the Master's Cup, where after a 2 hour rain delay, me and the few who were left were invited to move courtside to sit. Imagine being a life long tennis fan, and getting to sit courtside to see Federer v Hewitt. It was thrilling. I respect Federer as a tennis player on all levels.

I know he does great work for charities and his foundation, he is an intelligent, well spoken, number 1. He elevates the sport to the media and public. And he is extremely popular.

But...for me personally...I have found the comments he made disrespectful, and he now leaves me cold. True or not true, its disrepectful to take your gripes to the media.

I am a democrat from Texas, I am used to having disenting opinions.

Fedubai
10-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Once again, I meant: Toni Nadal is a bit of an obnoxious person as a coach in the stands. Lots of cheering, lots of gestures, etc.

I do not have proof that he is cheating, however. That is the point.

If people think Federer is arrogant, fine. But as a Fed fan of course I'm gonna step in and defend Federer where I think Federer can be defended. Has Federer made some arrogant comments? Sure. But it doesn't mean he's an arrogant person, as in a mode of behavior. Sometimes it gets to your head.

To the other poster: In certain circles, it is disrespectful to take gripes to the media. As in, family and team.

Federer has no obligation to be quiet about what he thinks it cheating. He was asked about it, he answered. He said that Toni Nadal was coaching a bit too much again today. He said nothing about Nadal. In fact, I think he said somewhere that it was irrelevant whether or not Nadal was listening to what Toni Nadal said.

There is no obligation by players to not point out cheating. The very idea that Federer and other players can't say in public that they think someone is cheating because it would be disrespectful to that player, is not sound in my opinion. That code exists in certain circles, I don't believe this one.

I'm sure Federer has brought it up to Nadal. If the two were friends, I could see where not talking to the media would be viable.

Nadal did not abide by this code when he said Federer needs to learn how to lose.

Anyhow, I've said just about everything I'm going to say on this thread. I don't think Federer is arrogant, if some people do, fine. I don't agree though. Both are excellent players and very good ambassadors for the game in my opinion, but there's no question that mistakes have been made on both sides. I just don't think that Federer is arrogant.

Greengrass
10-07-2006, 01:57 PM
No tennis player enjoys playing friends in tournaments. They find it a little bit harder to focus and generally don't enjoy the competitiveness too much. Make that arrogant *****, Mr. Roger Federer, an exception. Before the Tokyo final,
"I will enjoy playing Tim. I am little bit excited to play him. It should be fun."
What an ***..

What the hell is arrogant about that? Because he said it would be "fun"? Why wouldn't it be fun to play a pal? The 2 have dinner together, Timbo has visited Fed's home in Basel ... just as long as Fed doesn't dish up a bagel or a breadstick I'll be happy enough! Besides if Fed went around saying that he just doesn't know how he does what he does on court, everyone would laugh their socks off and accuse him of having false modesty!

Nadal_Freak
10-07-2006, 02:04 PM
When you're as great as Federer it is pretty hard to not be arrogant.

bdawg
10-07-2006, 02:08 PM
it won't be fun for Henman but it's not remotely insulting. I enjoy playing friends on the court because you know them well, and the game has that much less tension and you can relax. If Federer loses, which is unlikely, I am sure it would still be fun to see a friend win.

I like hte fact Federer doesn't just give the scripted response. I remember back in 2005 when he lost to Gasquet, Nadal, and Safin and prior to losing to Nalbandian he was asked about his losses.

I distinctly remember saying he felt he could have beat Gasquet and Safin. Which is true given he had match points in those matches. But he also said that he lost to the better man at RG and spent hours after that semi-final talking to reporters.

I hated it when Sampras used to play someone like Todd Martin and said "he's a tough player and I have to play at my best to win" . I didn't like the false modesty.

Rudy
10-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Why is being modest and humble false? I find Cal Ripken Jr. extremely talented and professional and modest and humble. Terrell Owens...not so much.

When Roger Federer was nothing but a pool of talent and promise, I found him much more appealing, this current incarnation does nothing for me, I find him snooty and snarky.

Federer is 25, that tends to be middle age for a tennis player. Who knows what the next 5 years will bring. Maybe he will win 10 more slams, maybe 12. But at some point he will begin to diminish, players will begin to beat him, and then we will see how he handles that stage of his career.

andyroddick's mojo
10-07-2006, 03:47 PM
This is a stupid thread. You can't expect federer or anyone else thats number 1 in the world to constantly say "oh, i'm not THAT good, theres still a lot to improve, I suck at everything" All fed is saying is that he does better on hardcourts then clay obviously, while nadal does good on clay but loses more matches on hardcourst then federer does. Man, what a stupid thread.

Fedubai
10-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Back on this thread again, but that comment can't go unanswered.

Why would anyone prefer false modesty to honesty? Not suggesting that you just say whatever you think all the time; there is a place for diplomacy of course. That's different though than saying "I don't know how I got to number one, don't know how I win", and saying before every draw that you don't look ahead, after every match that the opponent was a great player. It's just totally useless. Sure, they say all the right things, but you never hear what that player actually thinks. Just what a Nike agent prescribed in a contract.

Federer is at least honest. It's good to be humble and modest, and I think Federer is that. Just don't expect PR answers, and that's a good thing as well.

illkhiboy
10-08-2006, 07:45 AM
What the hell is arrogant about that? Because he said it would be "fun"? Why wouldn't it be fun to play a pal? The 2 have dinner together, Timbo has visited Fed's home in Basel ... just as long as Fed doesn't dish up a bagel or a breadstick I'll be happy enough! Besides if Fed went around saying that he just doesn't know how he does what he does on court, everyone would laugh their socks off and accuse him of having false modesty!

Ok now that post of mine was pure sarcasm. I was poking fun at some of the people calling Federer arrogant who made ridiculous comments like, someone it wasnt right of Federer to say it's a pity he lost to Nadal. Like WTF? Anyway if you had read my post no. 108 you would know what I am saying.